gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:31:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question re Having Unavailable Content (for Insiders)  (Read 13374 times)
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2015, 08:32:14 AM »

I have a reel to reel tape containing a few songs that Brian sang to Lauri Klobas on one of her birthdays. At the time she worked at his home as editor of "Break Away" the fanzine. Her and I had become close friends after I bid on one of her Beach Boys auctions on the old AOL message board. That must have been in 1996 or 1997. We remiained friends until her passing.

Anyway, as a gift to me, she sent me that tape. However, I don't have a reel to reel player, and have never heard it!! The tape sits in a box in my basement.

I have a dandy of a Technics Reel-to-Reel deck.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2015, 02:29:02 AM »

Is there audio that no one knows about? And if it was played in the wilderness with no one around to hear it would it still be audio?   Huh Shocked  Huh

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2015, 02:36:37 AM »

I also have a bunch of tape machines  Grin

send it to Australia and i'll take a look at it  Roll Eyes

RickB
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2015, 11:16:50 AM »

Is there audio that no one knows about? And if it was played in the wilderness with no one around to hear it would it still be audio?   Huh Shocked  Huh
No, without ears present to transmute it into audio, it would simply be disturbances of vibration in the air.
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2015, 01:42:14 AM »

Has anyone heard 'Oh Lord' from the '85 Steve Levine sessions?
By the way, did the engineer Gordon Milne go on to work on anything else?
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2015, 12:08:35 PM »

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2015, 12:10:10 PM »

Spot on.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2015, 03:58:47 PM »

The Smile acetates from Van Dyke's ex wife that were discovered after the Smile box set was compiled were auctioned off and are in the hands of a collector.  They've been transferred to digital files and some people have heard them - I am not one of them.  On one acetate there is a new Great Shape musical piece that is not in the tape vault edited into sections of Heroes and Villains.  There are some slightly different mixes of some other Smile stuff as well.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2015, 04:08:05 PM »

The Smile acetates from Van Dyke's ex wife that were discovered after the Smile box set was compiled were auctioned off and are in the hands of a collector.  They've been transferred to digital files and some people have heard them - I am not one of them.  On one acetate there is a new Great Shape musical piece that is not in the tape vault edited into sections of Heroes and Villains.  There are some slightly different mixes of some other Smile stuff as well.

Be good to know who the collector is( it's not me) so we can bug him/her for copies...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 07:00:46 PM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2015, 05:58:30 AM »

The Smile acetates from Van Dyke's ex wife that were discovered after the Smile box set was compiled were auctioned off and are in the hands of a collector.  They've been transferred to digital files and some people have heard them - I am not one of them.  On one acetate there is a new Great Shape musical piece that is not in the tape vault edited into sections of Heroes and Villains.  There are some slightly different mixes of some other Smile stuff as well.

Be good to know who the coilector is( it's not me) so we can bug him/her for copies...

Assume copyright on those will expire in a year or two…

“We live in divisive times.”
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2015, 06:53:02 PM »

2) (This is the one I am more interested in.) What is it like to have, or to have heard, music that you're really not supposed to talk about or share generally? I know the sharing of musical experiences is really important for me--it's a part of what makes music great--and so it must be tough to either just keep your mouths shut or talk only to some select few.

Exquisitely frustrating. But, if hearing/having it comes with an embargo, you comply.

you sure do.  who would want those opportunities to disappear? 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2015, 05:07:27 AM »

2) (This is the one I am more interested in.) What is it like to have, or to have heard, music that you're really not supposed to talk about or share generally? I know the sharing of musical experiences is really important for me--it's a part of what makes music great--and so it must be tough to either just keep your mouths shut or talk only to some select few.

Exquisitely frustrating. But, if hearing/having it comes with an embargo, you comply.

you sure do.  who would want those opportunities to disappear? 

The single quickest way to turn a source into a former source is to ignore their conditions of... well, being a source. Cohen never seemed to grasp this very simple point.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2015, 06:10:13 AM »

I'm appreciating the on-topic responses. Can any of you now share past examples more specifically? For example, something then-unreleased that you were dying to talk about with so-and-so (but couldn't)? Some debate you could've resolved or weighed in on, but were prevented? A new impression others couldn't share based on the music you, but not they, had access to?

Seems this line of story isn't interesting to anyone but me, but I do appreciate whatever tales there may be that can now be told.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
MJP
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2015, 08:19:44 AM »

The frustrating reality about unreleased material is that they're not a lot of us left that care about this stuff.  How may 20 years are dying to hear an unreleased snippet of Smile material?
One wishes that the people who really care about this stuff could still have excess to it.  God do I miss the days of spending a lazy Saturday afternoon looking for bootlegs.  It's still is difficult to describe the buzz that I felt the 1st time I heard the original Wonderful on that 2nd Smile bootleg.

Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2015, 10:16:32 AM »

Or the original Wind Chimes on the Japanese boot T-2580-2 with the incredible photo of Brian at the piano on the back and the Smile shop on the CD itself - that really blew my mind.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2015, 12:39:41 PM »

Going into detail on this would take too much time, but I can say over the past 15 years I have had the privilege of hearing and seeing a great many things that were either unreleased and unbooted at the time, and/or still are. I guess getting to help sift through the POB and Bambu and other DW solo multi-tracks is a highlight for sure. But also, thanks to people like Ed Roach, Alan Boyd, David Marks, Howie Edelson, Tom Murphy, John Hanlon, James Guercio, Gregg Jakobson, Garby Leon, Carl B Wilson, Matt O Casey, Craig Slowinski, Klay, Klaas and many others I've gotten to hear and see some things I'd never have without them. So thanks, you know who you are.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 10:05:25 AM by Jon Stebbins » Logged
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2015, 08:43:01 PM »

I was fortunate to have had access to some very nice unreleased material through friends I have made over the web and in person over the years.    In recent years, a good bit of this material has been officially released and is available on boxes and compilations.    a lot more is available on widely shared boots.    I suspect  that a lot that has not been distributed  officially or on boots  may be of poor quality or rehearsal chatter with out takes.     I , for one would like to hear more of the high quality studio banter.    Perhaps more of this will become available on some future comp paired with resultant completed songs.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2015, 10:24:24 PM »

I'm appreciating the on-topic responses. Can any of you now share past examples more specifically? For example, something then-unreleased that you were dying to talk about with so-and-so (but couldn't)? Some debate you could've resolved or weighed in on, but were prevented? A new impression others couldn't share based on the music you, but not they, had access to?

Seems this line of story isn't interesting to anyone but me, but I do appreciate whatever tales there may be that can now be told.

Since you asked...

I was fortunate enough to hear TWGMTR several weeks before release (some here will think, from one of two highly likely sources - neither is correct), and when the opening notes of "FTTGA" hit my ears, I nearly fell off my chair. By the end of the suite, I was almost in tears. I wanted to tell everyone how staggeringly amazing it was, that the whole album was way, way better than it had any right to be. And I couldn't.

It's not just music, though: sometimes information comes with a similar embargo. The whole stream of drivel spouted by Phil Cohen about TSS pre-release was made so much more amusing to me, and doubtless those similarly clued in, because I knew what he was ranting about was utterly, comically without foundation: every last complaint. The capper was his bitching about the non-inclusion of the "million units... in January" clip when the full track listing came out... because we knew it was a hidden track. That, my friends, was a sweet, sweet moment. Even though I couldn't tell him, either on the forum or via PM.  Grin

A final observation: there are, of course, ways of saying something by saying nothing.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 10:25:42 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2015, 05:43:14 AM »

Thanks, that's exactly the sort of story I'm interested in.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2015, 02:01:52 PM »

I was fortunate enough to hear TWGMTR several weeks before release (some here will think, from one of two highly likely sources - neither is correct), and when the opening notes of "FTTGA" hit my ears, I nearly fell off my chair.

"From There To Georgia Again"?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2015, 02:40:56 PM »

On the flipside of all this, I've been fortunate to play actual Beach Boys unreleased music that they've never heard before -- and in a couple of cases, pieces that certain members have SWORN they're not on -- when in fact said piece either was co-written by them and/or they're prominently featured.

One of the coolest moments was the day that Stebbins and I sat Blondie down during the DW doc shoot and blasted a pristine mix of "Carry Me Home" for him -- a tune he hadn't heard since the day he recorded the vocal.

Him looking at Jon and I screaming: "Me?! Is that ME?!"

Major moment.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2015, 02:51:34 PM »

I was fortunate enough to hear TWGMTR several weeks before release (some here will think, from one of two highly likely sources - neither is correct), and when the opening notes of "FTTGA" hit my ears, I nearly fell off my chair.

"From There To Georgia Again"?

That's the one. Magnificent.

doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2015, 02:52:28 PM »

On the flipside of all this, I've been fortunate to play actual Beach Boys unreleased music that they've never heard before -- and in a couple of cases, pieces that certain members have SWORN they're not on -- when in fact said piece either was co-written by them and/or they're prominently featured.

One of the coolest moments was the day that Stebbins and I sat Blondie down during the DW doc shoot and blasted a pristine mix of "Carry Me Home" for him -- a tune he hadn't heard since the day he recorded the vocal.

Major moment.

like that you mention pristine mix... there's something to hope for in the future....  Smiley

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2015, 06:12:51 PM »

Major moment.

I love it. Thanks, Howie.

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2015, 06:03:12 AM »

I received (via email) a question from someone as to why I participated in the "Soulful Old Man Sunshine" thread and described my experiences hearing that track four years before its release, but didn't participate in this thread.  In my mind, the difference is that Rick Henn gave me full permission to write about "Soulful Old Man Sunshine" in ESQ in 1994, and I tried to describe it in as much painstaking detail as I could after only hearing it twice (I did ask Rick to play it two times in a row!) and considering I didn't have access to a pen and paper to write down notes until several hours later.

In the scenario described in this thread I would be discussing material (or even the experience hearing material) that I was told not to talk about, and as others have described, the result of not honoring that commitment would be a "burnt bridge."

I will say that there have been a couple of times where I have let something slip in reference to an unreleased/uncirculated track on this very board, and it's not a pleasant experience to get a phone call or email about it...

Lee
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 02:32:00 PM by LeeDempsey » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx