gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 11:46:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question re Having Unavailable Content (for Insiders)  (Read 13425 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 31, 2014, 07:31:37 AM »

I have a question for those of you with more access to the group and its assorted employees and associates over the years: do you have, or have you in the past often had, access to much music that hasn't been (or hadn't been until much later) released, either officially or on boots? And if so, can you talk about what that's like?

This is not to ask you to reveal sources or secrets, or to share, or anything like that. The point behind the question is twofold:

1) Is there still much left available to be heard (not counting alternate mixes and such--I mean different songs)? We had that "Bedroom Years" article relatively recently, for example.
2) (This is the one I am more interested in.) What is it like to have, or to have heard, music that you're really not supposed to talk about or share generally? I know the sharing of musical experiences is really important for me--it's a part of what makes music great--and so it must be tough to either just keep your mouths shut or talk only to some select few.

Anything you're willing to discuss without compromising your integrity would be appreciated. It's interesting to me.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 07:48:48 AM by the captain » Logged

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 07:38:25 AM »

I have a question for those of you with more access to the group and its assorted employees and associates over the years: do you have, or have you in the past often had, access to much music that hasn't been (or hadn't been until much later) released, either officially or on boots? And if so, can you talk about what that's like?

This is not to ask you to reveal sources or secrets, or to share, or anything like that. The point behind the question is twofold:

1) Is there still much left available to be heard (not counting alternate mixes and such--I mean different songs)? We had that "Bedroom Years" article relatively recently, for example.
2) (This is the one I am more interested in.) What is it like to have, or to have heard, music that you're really not supposed to talk about or share generally? I know the sharing of musical experiences is really important for me--it's a part of what makes music great--and so it must be tough to either just keep your mouths shut or talk only to some select few.

Anything you're willing to discuss without compromising your integrity would be appreciated. It's interesting to me.

Can we include the footage that's still kept in the vaults too?

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 09:27:55 AM »

i recall drooling over some of PongHit's posts a little while back. I'm pretty sure he's heard some stuff that's not out there yet. Didn't he hear it from Alan Boyd?

I'd wager AGD has heard some really rare stuff too… care to expand?Smiley
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 09:31:13 AM »

Just to clarify my interests--not speaking for anyone else's, though--I'm less interested in what you have / had than I am in what it was or is like to have / have had something.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

MJP
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 10:44:37 AM »

I was told recently by someone who would know, that there is unreleased Smile material in the hands of private collectors.

Doesn't seem fair.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 10:52:49 AM »

I was told recently by someone who would know, that there is unreleased Smile material in the hands of private collectors.

Doesn't seem fair.

I disagree completely and don't see anything unfair about it.

retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 11:06:49 AM »

Doesn't seem fair.

What about songs that aren't SMiLE related?

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 11:25:41 AM »

I'd wager AGD has heard some really rare stuff too… care to expand?Smiley

Yes, I have.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 11:28:05 AM »

Exquisitely frustrating. But, if hearing/having it comes with an embargo, you comply.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 11:45:47 AM »

I'd bet a good amount of people here have heard rare stuff, but just don't post about it because there's nothing they can say.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 12:01:53 PM »

I'd bet a good amount of people here have heard rare stuff, but just don't post about it because there's nothing they can say.

not sure that's true, depending on what you mean by "quite a few" and "rare." Most of us have studio and live boots, which are to some extent rare, but I'd bet 95% of what 95%* of us have is in common. My interest was in those with the truly rare stuff, the nearly unique experiences.

*All stats estimated, margin of error is, oh, 95 pts.

MJP
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 01:10:52 PM »

I've heard 4 1/2 minutes of the Brian Wilson/Van Dyke Parks composing tape for Sail on Sailor.  It's great to hear, but I much rather hear those Smile bits which haven't every been released.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2014, 02:06:01 PM »

I've heard 4 1/2 minutes of the Brian Wilson/Van Dyke Parks composing tape for Sail on Sailor.  It's great to hear, but I much rather hear those Smile bits which haven't every been released.

Where and When?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2014, 02:36:43 PM »

Do you mean the tape where Van Dyke says, "Cut the sh*t Brian, and sit down here and write this middle-eight"?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
MJP
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2014, 03:39:54 PM »

That's the one.  It was played to me over the phone about 13 or 14 years ago.  I believe it came from someone that has passed away recently.
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2014, 04:14:45 PM »

I have a reel to reel tape containing a few songs that Brian sang to Lauri Klobas on one of her birthdays. At the time she worked at his home as editor of "Break Away" the fanzine. Her and I had become close friends after I bid on one of her Beach Boys auctions on the old AOL message board. That must have been in 1996 or 1997. We remiained friends until her passing.

Anyway, as a gift to me, she sent me that tape. However, I don't have a reel to reel player, and have never heard it!! The tape sits in a box in my basement.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2014, 05:04:20 PM »

You may want to do something with it sooner rather than later Jeff.  Like take it somwhere where it can be transferred onto a cd or at least into a file you can play on your computer.  Those old tapes can go 'bad'.   Most of us haven't stored our cassette, reel to reel, and 8 track tapes properly.  They crack, break, stretch, twist and disappoint.  Why take a chance?  Do it sooner rather than later.  Each passing week at this point is your enemy.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 05:06:51 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2014, 05:21:15 PM »

Yeah, good point. I really should do something with it.
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2014, 05:24:06 PM »

. Double post sorry
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 05:25:03 PM by jeffh » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2014, 06:52:46 PM »

I miss Lauri. She was a really nice person Sad

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2014, 07:53:45 PM »

She was one in a million. We talked about almost everything, except not much about Brian, as she had signed a confidentially agreement for her employment there. She was without a doubt my best and closest Internet friend.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2014, 08:41:40 PM »

. Double post sorry

I WILL NOT FORGIVE YOU

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2015, 08:09:43 PM »

Jeff, not trying to pry material out of your hands in any way, but I'm sure there are some board members (myself included) who have working reel to reel machines.  You're talking with a bunch of audio geeks on this board.  If you know and trust someone here, you might think about arranging to have someone transfer it over to CD.  I've thrown away a lot of reel to reel tapes over the years that literally fell apart while being played.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2015, 10:35:51 PM »

Jeff, not trying to pry material out of your hands in any way, but I'm sure there are some board members (myself included) who have working reel to reel machines.  You're talking with a bunch of audio geeks on this board.  If you know and trust someone here, you might think about arranging to have someone transfer it over to CD.  I've thrown away a lot of reel to reel tapes over the years that literally fell apart while being played.
Agreed.  I also have a working reel-to-reel deck.  In fact I was just transferring some vintage tapes from the '50s and early '60s (non-Beach Boys; sorry) to CD over the holidays.

Lee
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2015, 08:19:00 AM »

Is there a list of unbooted songs that HAVE been heard, (not just known to exist) available?
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx