gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:30:06 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mark Chapman and Bob Dylan  (Read 2254 times)
Smilin Ed H
« on: December 31, 2014, 02:26:28 AM »

http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/when-bob-dylan-met-mark-chapman.html

Shudder!
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 03:26:44 PM »

Long ago I read that Chapman met old Bob on Oct 20, 1979 (outside NBC Studios in NYC, after Dylan performed "Gotta Serve Somebody" on Saturday Night Live) but I hadn't seen a photo of it till now. I seem to recall that the story behind that was Chapman just impulsively got a ticket for NYC from Honolulu after he saw in the paper that Dylan would be on the show, met Bob, then flew back. Good thing the little people in his head didn't suggest he get a gun beforehand.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 11:17:05 PM »

I don't even want to think about that!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 08:58:20 PM »

Just think how that would have changed our idols if he would have killed Dylan (and then got arrested) and Lennon would have lived.  Imagine if Dylan had been gone since 1979 and Lennon was still with us. 

Not making a statement, just saying it's strange how all of that turned on 1 man's choices with a gun. 
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 02:47:59 PM »

Just think how that would have changed our idols if he would have killed Dylan (and then got arrested) and Lennon would have lived.  Imagine if Dylan had been gone since 1979 and Lennon was still with us. 

Not making a statement, just saying it's strange how all of that turned on 1 man's choices with a gun. 

Where the what-ifs of rock history go that's about as strange as they get. It raises the question of whether John, after Double Fantasy, would have produced music on a par with Plastic Ono Band or Imagine - or the Beatles, for that matter - had his life not been cut short....leaving aside the whole question of what might have happened had he started talking with Paul more often and simmered down about George leaving him out of I Me Mine.

Or how we would now perceive Dylan's career had it ended with Street Legal and Slow Train Coming, instead of his Christmas and Sinatra albums and whatever else he'll be doing from now on. 

As things stand, it seems a sure thing that 90% of Dylan's reputation from now on will rest on what he recorded up to Blood On The Tracks...but had he been gone for the last 36 years, people would be writing about all the great things he would have done in that time, and presumably they wouldn't be envisioning something like Knocked Out Loaded.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 11:35:05 AM »

Think you're being harsh on Bob. Love and Theft, Street Legal, Desire, Time Out of Mind, Oh Mercy and Infidels (the unreleased version, anyway...). I actually like the Christmas album; it's fun and I prefer it to Tempest where he seems to be intent on delivering a 'Bob Dylan album'. As for the Sinatra album, who knows? It wouldn't be the first time he's done a covers album. Was Double Fantasy that highly thought of before Lennon was shot? To be honest, I can't remember. I suppose because it was Lennon, it was lapped up as if he'd sh*t golden nuggets. I can remember wondering what all the fuss was about, though. I guess it all depends on who's doing the considering. I know a lot of hardcore Dylan fans who would defend anything he did, even Under The Red Sky(!) and there are a lot of people who hold up Love and Theft as one of his best ever, though admittedly the bulk of the population are more familiar with the earlier stuff, the 'hits', for want of a better word. I've seen him concert on a number of occasions - once, very good; twice pretty good; the other times, he's been, frankly, awful, but when he sings a familiar song from his 60s' back catalogue, the crowd goes apeshit, even if they can't make out what he's saying... As for Blood on the Tracks, it's kind of like the great Dylan album that people who don't like Dylan can like.

To go back to the photo, do you remember the televised Simon and Garfunkel show from Central Park after Lennon was shot and the idiot came up on the stage and tried to talk to Simon while he was singing The Late Great Johnny Ace, a song that alluded to Lennon? Needless to say that wasn't on the soundtrack album...
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 09:47:58 AM »

Are they certain that is Chapman?  From that camera angle he looks more like John Hinckley Jr.  to me....either way it's effing creepy.  Sad
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx