-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:58:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  An Observation
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: An Observation  (Read 14566 times)
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 31, 2006, 07:49:56 AM »

One critique I have heard over the months of how Hunt and Lane moderate their board was that they deleted threads too often as censorship.  Frankly, that never bothered me and still doesn't.  But since this forum has used that as a critique, please let the record show that multiple threads have been doinked here lately.  They probably should have been doinked all things considered.  But that just means that thread deletion is a valid method of moderating, and everyone cut Hunt/Lane some slack on that front in the future.

That's all, editorial comment done.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 08:04:21 AM »

Well, the thread still exists. Its just in purgatory. 3D

I don't mind the discussions, you guys are more than welcome to talk about anything on here. I just find it hard to deal with all the personal insults that start to come out of people, its foul and unnecessary. I might disagree with someone's opinion on something, but it doesn't mean I should just go off on them...no matter what is said. If anything, I'd send them a private message with how I really feel.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 08:07:53 AM by Joe- » Logged

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 08:56:57 AM »

Jeff, I've heard two versions of the "critique":

1) Some were not happy that threads/messages were being deleted by Hunt/Lane.

2) Some were not happy that Hunt/Lane criticized this board concerning threads/messages being deleted, when they used that as a moderating tool.

I say, let the moderators moderate.  I have no issues with Jon, John, Jason, Joe, Billy, or anyone else.  They all moderate better than I did or ever will.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 10:11:15 AM »

So I take it "The Thread" got doinked?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Cabana Boy
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 10:19:52 AM »

Quote from: Joe
I just find it hard to deal with all the personal insults that start to come out of people, its foul and unnecessary. I might disagree with someone's opinion on something

I didn't disagree with his opinion, I disagreed with his very existence. I stated the cause privately, but you seem to want to call me out here, so here's a reminder of our earlier PM exchange...

This is your first and final warning. If I see you throw out another personal attack anywhere on this board. I will ban you for the amount of time the other moderators and I feel that is necessary. Everything in that thread was going fine (people were arguing, thats cool with me) and you come out with some ridiculously low and unnecessary insults to people you don't even know. Its not cool.

Thanks
-Joe

Quote from: Me
I don't think it was going fine at all. Do you think the appearance of phrases like "worthless piece of trash" (not mine, btw) indicate that all participants were happy with how the thread was proceeding?
My girlfriend was bullied into an abortion by an abusive ex, no way am I gonna let people get away with saying she's the perpetrator of any kind of sin. No fucking way. What the little rat with the pig-avatar said - THAT'S LOW. If you want to pledge allegiance to the likes of him, ban away. Feel free to neuter the place some more.

Im not taking sides. The point is if you see something that upsets you, just msg a moderator and they will take care of it. Even though there might have been something said that upsets you it doesn't give you the right to go off and let out all these personal insults. If it means that much to you than youre more than welcome to send him a private message. The board is for discussion not to insult someone. I haven't see him post any personal attacks towards you and that is what we're trying to avoid. Please respect our wishes, and this goes to everyone. So don't think I'm picking on you.

Thanks
-Joe

Quote from: Me
I don't feel picked on in the least. Just asserting that I can't promise any form of self-censorship when faced with the pious crowings of an unfeeling, emotionally-stunted, idiotic virgin with zero life-experience. Especially when they strike as personally jarring a chord as his cretinous posts were beginning to within me.

Make of that what you will, and take whatever action you deem appropriate at any point you wish.

Quote from: Lunar-tic

Make of that what you will, and take whatever action you deem appropriate at any point you wish.

Fair enough.

For Rerun:

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 10:22:23 AM »

Please don't ban Sebastian, guys. Don't censor one of the best writers and coolest people around. If so, I split too. Which I am sure would make many people happy.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 10:25:19 AM »

Anyone laying odds on how long this thread stays up till it gets doinked?

I should have just kept my mouth shut.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 10:26:39 AM »

Just reread it again. Great post, thoroughly justified. Certain people are allowed to make incendiary and insulting comments, but because they don't use profanity, it's OK? That's hypocritical bull**it and not the way to run a board. Tell BOTH SIDES to stop, not just one. That's what moderation is, not the side-taking and censorship that's happening now.

Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 10:27:57 AM »

I tried, Ian, I tried.  I am no mod, but I tried.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2006, 10:29:49 AM »

Anyone laying odds on how long this thread stays up till it gets doinked?

I should have just kept my mouth shut.

It should be, and the one below it as well. That's filled with offensive propaganda too, and is the next place this fight will be continued if these types of discussions and threads are not roundly ended for eternity.

You did the right thing, Jeff. Don't at all feel bad about starting this one. These things needed to be said.

Jason
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2006, 10:34:29 AM »

Sebastian isn't getting banned anytime soon. No-one is getting banned.

FWIW, Rerun's more out of line than Sebastian ever was. Sebastian just told him what is.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 10:39:07 AM by Jason » Logged
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2006, 10:41:56 AM »

I stated the cause privately, but you seem to want to call me out here,

I never called you out in that message, neither directly or indirectly. But you're more than welcome to prove me differently.

Also, what I said in my reply goes for both sides.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2006, 10:52:36 AM »

Cool. Finely handled.
How bout this, ya'll. Play some groovy toons at loud volume, and remind yourself why we're supposed to enjoy being here. Doctor's prescription, kiddies. Take five and call me in the morning.

Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2006, 10:58:38 AM »

Please don't ban Sebastian, guys. Don't censor one of the best writers and coolest people around. If so, I split too. Which I am sure would make many people happy.

I would be very unhappy if you or Sebastian left.  I want you right here where I can see you.

Tell BOTH SIDES to stop, not just one. That's what moderation is, not the side-taking and censorship that's happening now.

I agree, moderators shouldn't take sides in an argument based upon friendship, or alliances, or their personal opinions or feelings about a subject or person.  That doesn't mean a moderator always "tells both sides to stop."  It depends upon what each individual side or party is doing or saying.  If one side, for instance, is simply, calmly, politely stating an opinion, perhaps backed up with facts or statistics, and the other side doesn't like it, there's nothing to moderate.  If one side, for instance, is ranting, raving, cursing, making personal attacks, pretty much losing their minds and the argument, NOW there's something to moderate.

That's filled with offensive propaganda too

I find anything to do with the "Winter Soldier" hearings to be offensive propaganda, but I'm not going to demand any mention of it be expunged from the record.  Let people have their say, curb the personal attacks, and don't cry foul just because someone won't accept a particular agenda.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2006, 11:05:14 AM »

Charles, your mode of attacks are quiet and insidious. They are on the down-low and filled with patronising tone. You are dismissive of other people. That makes you just as guilty of perpetuating this as anyone else. Your high horse is dead. I shot it. Don't ask me to kick it. You are no better or worse than anyone.
You take the position of having the correct Christian view, with your right-wing conspiracy theories given holy weight. That's wrong, man. Jesus doesn't vote Republican. Or Democrat.

Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president or any other public official...

~Theodore Roosevelt

I want you right here where I can see you.

Then take up your shield, brave Knight. Cease fire ignored by you, everyone take that note.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 11:07:13 AM by I. Spaceman » Logged

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2006, 11:06:25 AM »

And, you know, if someone wants to back up my thoughts on Charles' methods of goading and patronisation, please do. I know you're there.

Jason
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2006, 11:14:42 AM »

FWIW Ian, I told Charles personally that I thought he was pushing his luck with some of his comments.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2006, 11:17:44 AM »

FWIW Ian, I told Charles personally that I thought he was pushing his luck with some of his comments.

Let the record show, he told me the same thing, several times.

Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2006, 11:19:23 AM »

I called you out for cursing at Chuck, I could say that Chuck goes out of his way to start controversial topics (like the pro-Bush thread that looks like a Neil Young thread) to get an interesting reaction.  Don't know if I would hammer that in the same way you do or I rebuked you, but it sure doesn't help a volatile situation to pose controversial topics in a provocative manner.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2006, 11:23:09 AM »

I called you out for cursing at Chuck, I could say that Chuck goes out of his way to start controversial topics (like the pro-Bush thread that looks like a Neil Young thread) to get an interesting reaction.  Don't know if I would hammer that in the same way you do or I rebuked you, but it sure doesn't help a volatile situation to pose controversial topics in a provocative manner.

Again, as he noted, I was very fairly called out by Jeff a few times during the thread. No favoritism working there.

Cabana Boy
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2006, 11:31:58 AM »

What I said to Jeff earlier. I think a lot of us here have struggles to wholly reconcile our faiths with our own inner value-systems. But only some of us can admit these conflicts. The trespassing values that glare from the opposite camp are of a damn sight less honorable and selfless stripe than the ones shared by those less disingenuous among us.

I think Chuck has gone out of his way to provoke Ian, and will keep on attempting to do so as long as this forum runs. He obviously has a lot to prove. Why else would a man deliberately, repeatedly choose to ignore the searing truth of one impassioned, heartfelt post after another in favor of twisting those words for the sake of a doomed one-upmanship bid?
Ian cares with all his heart. I can trust that.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2006, 11:36:47 AM »

Thanks, Sebastian.
And to everyone else, may I point out that Sebastian agreed with me not one whit regarding the "Laurie-gate" incident and heaped much scorn upon me for my role in it. He has been no stranger to laying me to waste with great force when he has felt I have been wrong. I have felt his scorn as much as Rerun or Chuck ever will. So, favoritism again has nothing to do with it.

Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2006, 11:42:32 AM »

Sebastian, caring with all your heart doesn't make something "searingly true."  I believe, as you do, that Ian cares deeply about what he posts about.  I just don't agree with his opinions on many topics, including but not limited to, Iraq, abortion, the Bush administration.  Having passion and good intentions doesn't guarantee what you are saying has any basis in reality.

I don't go out of my way to provoke Ian.

Artie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2006, 11:42:42 AM »

Thanks, Sebastian.
And to everyone else, may I point out that Sebastian agreed with me not one whit regarding the "Laurie-gate" incident and heaped much scorn upon me for my role in it. He has been no stranger to laying me to waste with great force when he has felt I have been wrong. I have felt his scorn as much as Rerun or Chuck ever will. So, favoritism again has nothing to do with it.

I just like the cool sh*t you write about music, personally, Ian.

I read these threads occasionally, but don't respond, as I believe this board is a great escape from everyday life (mine happens to be as a litigation attorney who argues for a living).
Anytime anyone wants to get caught up in the crap going around these threads, just take a step back and read what's going on in the Congo and around the world, and thank your lucky stars you are priviledged enough to be online daily and not drinking mud and watching your children die from disease.
Everyone should just chill and put on All Summer Long, A Hard Day's Night, and maybe BWPS and enjoy life while we have it. Have a cigar and appreciate the good sh*t.
Joel5001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2006, 11:47:48 AM »

Chuck, I think you clearly go out of your way to provoke Ian.  Anyone who has read the board for the last year can see the pattern.

"First of all, let's get one thing straight: Crack is cheap. I make too much money to ever smoke crack." - Whitney Houston
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: