gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681511 Posts in 27640 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 10, 2024, 06:58:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: POB vinyl compare/contrast and a meeting Denny story over at AnalogPlanet.com  (Read 4333 times)
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« on: December 30, 2014, 02:20:54 PM »

Michael Fremer, writer for Stereophile mag and the curator of AnalogPlanet recently posted a two-pronged article that:

A) For the audiophile types, Michael briefly touches on the sonic integrity of the original pressing over the Sundazed reissue (not saying the Sundazed is unpleasant, I quite like it). 

Ultimately, the article is a prop to peddle his pro-analog agenda (well, he runs a site called analogplanet) but there are some nice touches about his emotional response to the music (which is what it's all about, no?). 

And what bastard manages to find a copy of POB in a garage sale these days?

B) contains the following link (sub link) - http://www.analogplanet.com/content/brother-dennis-finally-gets-his-due-0 - to his initial review of the POB vinyl reissue - perhaps some of you have read this before; however, for those who haven't, you may find Micheal F's "I met Denny" story interesting, on a number of levels.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 02:47:47 PM »

Great article! Sad too... Sad

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 05:44:28 PM »

Thanks, Alan--a good piece from the always-flamboyant Mr. Fremer. He spares us a lot of the "wonk" that is displayed elsewhere, which means that his compare/contrast comes off as more than a bit perfunctory, but maybe that's a good thing.

Surprised he didn't make the geographical connection regarding the "offing" place of his friend and Denny's "sensual adventures" with the Manson clan--two locations that are only about a mile from one another. (Of course, the events were much more separated in time--but the vibrations in that neck of the "east Palisades" have always been a little bit spooky!  3D
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 08:09:15 PM »

Great article! Sad too... Sad

My thoughts exactly.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 03:15:15 PM »

Surprised he didn't make the geographical connection regarding the "offing" place of his friend and Denny's "sensual adventures" with the Manson clan--two locations that are only about a mile from one another. (Of course, the events were much more separated in time--but the vibrations in that neck of the "east Palisades" have always been a little bit spooky!  3D

Nice observation there, Don, thanks for bringing it up.

One of the things that appealed to me about Fremer's Dennis story was the slice of life in 'LA' at that time for those scenesters approach; helps to get a balanced picture in one's mind.

I'm yet to undertake my pilgrimage to that part of the world so it's nice to add some additional context to the mix.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 03:31:06 PM »

"the screaming at Beach Boy concerts was all aimed at Dennis"

Pretty rude thing to say.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 03:39:23 PM »

P.S. The 2008 CD has a lot of dynamics to it and sounds great overall. Probably a more accurate representation of what was recorded than any vinyl edition.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 04:47:56 PM »

"the screaming at Beach Boy concerts was all aimed at Dennis"

Pretty rude thing to say.

LOL I think the screaming he's talking about was from all those Letterman sweater jocks screaming at Dennis to keep his filthy paws off-a their girlfriends asses

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 08:15:57 PM »

Why is that a rude thing to say? It's basically true.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 08:42:59 PM »

And most apparent whenever a camera switches to Dennis during many of their sixties TV appearances.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2015, 09:13:55 PM »

I didn't like what Michael had to say about Dennis is THIS regard...he wrote pure foolishness saying this about Denny..."The only Beach Boy who personified the Beach Boy image of sun, surfing, girls, cars and sex (the screaming at Beach Boy concerts was all aimed at Dennis) was the least talented in the conventional sense of the word."

What a PILE.  The least talented?  And he blew your mind away with a 'lap piano' while attempting to charm you out of a portion of the coccaine you inherited from another guy you associated with while he was screaming for HELP?

Dennis WAS talented.  Musically...within the framework of the principle Beach Boys... I'd suggest he stood 2nd only to Brian in terms of over-all creative ability.  But Denny's talent was almost untapped.  People, including...it would seem...his own bandmates didn't take him seriously.  Maybe because he'd always been the 'f***-up'.  Tougher than a nail but always getting into trouble.  So those close to him were maybe just too damn close?

You know I'm a huge Carl fan.  Thought the world of him as a man...as a singer...as a talent...as the heart and soul of the touring group.  But compared to Pacific Ocean Blue?  Carl's solo albums were a distant 2nd...and third...to Dennis' masterworks.

Michael met Dennis once.  He spent more time with him on that occasion than I did collectively.  But I saw Dennis away from the prying eye too.  I saw him several times between 1971 and '82 and the changes were obvious and negative.  MAybe some of it had to do with the frustration of not being taken seriously...of having so much to contribute but having it turned down for a variety of reasons not the least of which may well have been that he was still regarded as "the least talented in the conventional sense of the word."  I last saw Dennis Wilson just weeks before this guy did.  It wasn't Dennis at his best by any means.  But at least I KNEW that he was a TALENT.  A real, honest, proven, legitimate TALENT.  A talent with some serious problems.

Denny grew up with an abusive father.  He associated with some 'heavy' people who turned out to be murderously fucking scary.  He lived, to a degree, in a bubble.   He had reasons to try to ease the load on his mind/his soul with drugs and alcohol.  But just as heavy a load would have been to try to deal with and justify the pain of being a really creative guy who just wasn't taken seriously enough.  

Old Michael just helps to further perpetuate that misguided myth.  31 years later and we're still buying this kind of bull-sh*t?  We owe Dennis Wilson a LOT more than THAT.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 09:34:18 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Dogbone51
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2015, 10:32:13 PM »

A real, honest, proven, legitimate TALENT.  A talent with some serious problems.

It's clear from all of the dysfunction in the Wilson Family, that you hit the nail on the head here.   Murry was tough on all the Wilson Boys and as has been said and documented many times, Dennis' personality was very similar to that of his father's.

The other thing...Dennis was only allowed in the Band because of Audree.  She begged Brian to make him part of the band, and he did.   It's also been said that Dennis may have felt "guilty" to be handed this opportunity to be in this group and have all of the fame and wealth and girls he could ever ask for.  It was like he was handed the golden egg, simply because he was Brian's brother!

Sure, Dennis started off as a novice who could barely keep a beat, but little by little his talent developed and eventually blossomed.  We all know Hal Blaine did a lot of the drums on Beach Boys' records, but it's also very clear that many of the tracks from the early days do feature Dennis.  Anyway, little by little Dennis developed his talent and by 1967-1968, he was writing excellent songs as well.   

But it's also clear many things led to his demise, including many of the other band member never really responding or acknowledging the talent Dennis had and the songs he was contributing, when Brian took a back seat.  Brian shoes are definitely big shoes to fill, but I truly believe if Dennis had been given the support and opportunity to expand his creativity, especially during the years where Brian was not that involved, the Beach Boys may have continued to have the chart success with the singles and albums they were releasing.  There are definitely glimpses of Dennis' talent on albums like FRIENDS, 20/20 and of course SUNFLOWER.

It's also very clear to me, when James William Guercio (or whoever it was), encouraged him to do the music he needed to do (i.e. which led to PACIFIC OCEAN BLUE), and Dennis finally had the support and encouragement to do so, he created some amazing material.  And look at how jealous some of the other Beach Boys were (i.e. mostly Mike and Alan), when POB ended up being more successful than the music the Beach Boys' were releasing at the same time.   But after POB, and during sessions for BAMBU,  Brother Studio was closed down.  After this point, Dennis didn't have a place where he could go to, when he was filled with inspiration, and he wanted to make music.   

Either way...combine all of this in Dennis' head, and you can somewhat see how he was troubled.  Unfortunately it was something he could never deal with.

Dogbone
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2015, 11:40:39 PM »

I didn't like what Michael had to say about Dennis is THIS regard...he wrote pure foolishness saying this about Denny..."The only Beach Boy who personified the Beach Boy image of sun, surfing, girls, cars and sex (the screaming at Beach Boy concerts was all aimed at Dennis) was the least talented in the conventional sense of the word."

What a PILE.  The least talented?  And he blew your mind away with a 'lap piano' while attempting to charm you out of a portion of the coccaine you inherited from another guy you associated with while he was screaming for HELP?

Dennis WAS talented.  Musically...within the framework of the principle Beach Boys... I'd suggest he stood 2nd only to Brian in terms of over-all creative ability.  But Denny's talent was almost untapped.  People, including...it would seem...his own bandmates didn't take him seriously.  Maybe because he'd always been the 'f***-up'.  Tougher than a nail but always getting into trouble.  So those close to him were maybe just too damn close?

You know I'm a huge Carl fan.  Thought the world of him as a man...as a singer...as a talent...as the heart and soul of the touring group.  But compared to Pacific Ocean Blue?  Carl's solo albums were a distant 2nd...and third...to Dennis' masterworks.

Michael met Dennis once.  He spent more time with him on that occasion than I did collectively.  But I saw Dennis away from the prying eye too.  I saw him several times between 1971 and '82 and the changes were obvious and negative.  MAybe some of it had to do with the frustration of not being taken seriously...of having so much to contribute but having it turned down for a variety of reasons not the least of which may well have been that he was still regarded as "the least talented in the conventional sense of the word."  I last saw Dennis Wilson just weeks before this guy did.  It wasn't Dennis at his best by any means.  But at least I KNEW that he was a TALENT.  A real, honest, proven, legitimate TALENT.  A talent with some serious problems.

Denny grew up with an abusive father.  He associated with some 'heavy' people who turned out to be murderously fucking scary.  He lived, to a degree, in a bubble.   He had reasons to try to ease the load on his mind/his soul with drugs and alcohol.  But just as heavy a load would have been to try to deal with and justify the pain of being a really creative guy who just wasn't taken seriously enough.  

Old Michael just helps to further perpetuate that misguided myth.  31 years later and we're still buying this kind of bull-sh*t?  We owe Dennis Wilson a LOT more than THAT.

Excellent post Add Some!!!

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
bluesno1fann
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2015, 03:06:47 AM »

Excellent post Add Some!!!

Absolutely. Eloquently put.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2015, 08:13:10 AM »

The guy, quite obviously, wasn't qualified to critique the album.  To start with he didn't know what the eff he was talking about.  Maybe a critique of PA sytems would have worked.  Who cares?

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2015, 05:36:27 PM »

And most apparent whenever a camera switches to Dennis during many of their sixties TV appearances.

...and acknowledged by other group members.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2015, 08:37:26 PM »

IT'S JUST RUDE.

DON'T BE RUDE >: (

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx