gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:18:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So I'm the first person in 50 years to figure out the true meaning behind SMiLE.  (Read 7588 times)
SinisterSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2014, 05:11:49 AM »

I had an epiphany not long ago. Forget about SMiLE being a teenage symphony to God, it's the story of Brian setting his girlfriend's barn on fire and burning her alive! Well, maybe the protagonist isn't Brian, but it's more fun to imagine him Wink

Love Suite:
Gee - Loves his girl and is happy, pretty cheery and upbeat. Opens the album perfectly. Also gives us a taste of the Heroes And Villains saga.
Good Vibrations - Gets the album off to a super strong start. A song about pure love and admiration, so far everything is perfect, no fractures.
Wonderful - They're still in a relationship, but it's not the great. I get the feeling that the love is a little bit one-sided. He basically thinks she's wonderful, but she has her own plans and is getting distant.
I Wanna Be Around - No lyrics, but he's getting clingy at this stage. He's out of the picture now, but he's not over her, not by a long shot.
You Are My Sunshine - Sorta like Caroline, No. The girl isn't the same anymore. He had invested all of his love into her, she rejects him, taking his sunshine away.
Surf's Up - An incredibly emotional song. Surf's up is everything coming to a head, washing over him like a tidal wave. Something inside him snaps and decides to take revenge. The second movement has a very moody feeling to it. The lines I like are "A broken man too tough to cry" and "I heard the word, wonderful thing", a possible throwback to Wonderful.
Heroes And Villains (segment) - The beginning of the song, it's a retelling of the story after Brian is caught and serving time. We later learn that the heroes are the law enforcement, and Brian is the villain.

Hurt:
Barnyard - Sneaking past the animals to get to the barn.
Our Prayer - It's like long, deep breath before he commits the crime. I think Our Prayer fits quite well here, it's the calm before the storm. Plus, I believe it works really well with the ooooh's from Barnyard and Ms O'Leary's Cow.
Ms O'Leary's Cow - Named after the cow that started the fire in the barn. Brian is the cow, so to speak. The first part represents the fire jumping and spreading around the barn. The second part is the fire in full force, absolutely consuming everything. Perhaps he didn't realise the girl was in their until too late.
I Love To Say Dada - The adrenaline and elation after performing the act. Firefighters have arrived and are sorting out the mess. Also acts as a cool down from fire.
Heroes And Villains (segment) - The cantina segment, give it a listen and you''ll understand why k It's so perfect here. Also, the end wooo wooo wooo sounds like a police siren

On The Run:
Do You Like Worms? - Because she's dead and in the ground, get it? There 'rock, rock, roll' sections are the local police investigating the crime, the bicycle riding segments are Brian riding the hell outta there.
Cabin Essence - Time for a change, jumping from train to train. The crow cries are the police sirens.
Look (I Ran) - The name gives it away. The police are looking for him and are closing in. In the end, he is cornered and captured.
Child The Father Of Man - This on his way back to the station, it's a bit introspective and definitely has a dark feeling.
Heroes And Villains (segment) - You know that part that goes 'You're under arrest!', that would go here. Also, the 'my children were raised" verse fits perfectly with the previous song.

Reflection:
Holiday - Getting his sentence handed to him in court. It's not a real holiday, but he is going away for a long time.The song has a definite courtroom vibe, and is a bit of Worms throwback. The song ends with him in the cell
Workshop - It's Brian in the woodwork room, you know, prisoners gotta do something to pass the time.
I'm In Great Shape! - A little more upbeat, but not much. Brian's trying to cheer himself up, but it doesn't really work. He trails off and mumbles to himself.
Vega-Tables - He's going a bit stir crazy and has become obsessed with vegetables. Eat a lot, sleep a lot, that all he can really do now. Vegetables are what he loves the most, since he no longer has a girl. Why not send him a prison letter and let him know your favorite vegetable.
Wind Chimes - My favorite, he's staring out his cell window, staring at his windchimes. The windchimes remind him of his freedom, now and then a tear rolls down his cheek.
Your Welcome - Rounds it off nicely. He's mega lonely at this stage and wishes he had visitors. Well, your welcome to come.
(Possible Heroes And Villains - end segment) - I kinda think it belongs here to finishes the saga off. It was never a happy song to begin with, and the depressing ending would be a pretty powerful finish.

So what do you guys think, am I a genius or what? :D
I'm slowly gonna flesh this out, I'm having waaay too much fun with this. I'll chuck in little bits now and then, but for now this is gonna be a very rough guide.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 05:36:49 AM »

police Keep moving along people.  Nothing to see here. police Move it along.. police

What did they say at Woodstock about the...purple was it?...acid? Wink

Very amusing SS. LOL

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 07:38:26 AM »

SMiLE modularity is your friend--or maybe your best frenemy...  3D

Put it up in a file so we can all listen to it, or...you're under arrest!!  Evil
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 08:07:18 AM »

Wow...a craptastic soup of pedestrian and trite with a cup of misguided thrown in.  I guess if you are going to just dive right in on your first post, it may as well be into an empty pool.

I would think twice before making your second post.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 08:08:16 AM by The Legendary J-O-B » Logged
SinisterSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 08:22:09 AM »

Wow...a craptastic soup of pedestrian and trite with a cup of misguided thrown in.  I guess if you are going to just dive right in on your first post, it may as well be into an empty pool.

And now, for my second post.

Hello Smiley
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 08:33:53 AM »

Hi SS!  Welcome to the board! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 08:44:33 AM »

Ya...really!!!

A little rough there JOB.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
SinisterSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 08:52:09 AM »

Hi SS!  Welcome to the board! Grin

Thanks for the warm welcome, SMiLE Brian!  Grin
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2014, 08:54:59 AM »

This album would be more appropriately 'Dumb Angel' than SMiLE!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Rocket
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2014, 10:24:23 AM »

Very well thought out and unique, I like it very much!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2014, 10:38:34 AM »

Also, welcome SinisterSmile!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2014, 12:52:41 PM »

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2014, 01:08:22 PM »

Not really.  It coulda been a lot worse.  And your suggestion to move on in your first post in the thread was a good one. Thanks for that!  Cheesy

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2014, 01:18:02 PM »

I love Smile theories.....

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2014, 01:28:48 PM »

Not really.  It coulda been a lot worse.  And your suggestion to move on in your first post in the thread was a good one. Thanks for that!  Cheesy

I have to admit that it was more of a reaction to the cops chasing Brian throughout the speciific 'take' than it was any kind of suggestion.  Hey!!!  I have some of the most DAFT ideas going.  It's not for me to suggest someone else is 'out of wack'.   People generally just ignore my prattling and move about as if I'm just some kind of wall-hanging that will eventually get upgraded with a movie poster...or wall-paper. Cool Guy

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2014, 01:40:42 PM »

People generally just ignore my prattling and move about as if I'm just some kind of wall-hanging that will eventually get upgraded with a movie poster...or wall-paper. Cool Guy

You mean you're not?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2014, 01:42:20 PM »

What did they say at Woodstock about the...purple was it?...acid? Wink

It was brown, man....the brown acid....and sheeee-it!  I ain't been right since.....
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2014, 01:51:02 PM »

People generally just ignore my prattling and move about as if I'm just some kind of wall-hanging that will eventually get upgraded with a movie poster...or wall-paper. Cool Guy

You mean you're not?

No...I'm NOT.  I used Potatohead's observation to discover that I'm niether an old movie poster or wallpaper.  I was painted with blue paint and hence the brown acid looked purple.  Thank gawd I declined the opportunity to take a 3rd tab.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2014, 02:25:42 PM »

I love Smile theories.....

The only believable SMiLE "theories" that I've read before:

1. SmiLE had an "Americana" theme to it.
2. SMiLE was written with the intention of recording three movement pieces.
3. SMiLE was written with the intention of recording 12-14 tracks.

The unbeleivable theory is Bill Tobelman's "Zen Interpretation". That principles by some guy named Koestler were used to create an album using unconscious processes to re-create, discover, and relive the spiritual experience.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2014, 02:56:48 PM »

I had an epiphany not long ago. Forget about SMiLE being a teenage symphony to God, it's the story of Brian setting his girlfriend's barn on fire and burning her alive! Well, maybe the protagonist isn't Brian, but it's more fun to imagine him Wink

I'm slowly gonna flesh this out...

Just my HYEO... but I really, really wouldn't bother. Even as a running joke.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2014, 03:17:52 PM »

I would bother.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2014, 03:42:19 PM »

Why oyo?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2014, 03:52:12 PM »

For once I agree with the old windbag.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2014, 09:03:40 PM »

yeah but http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,15760.msg388210.html#msg388210

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Vernon Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't fight the sea

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2014, 11:04:51 PM »

Rather good. Thanks SS

Make waves, not love
gfx