gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:08:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys reviews  (Read 2964 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 08, 2006, 02:28:19 PM »

Does anyone have available, or know of a website that has, reviews of Beach Boys albums that were done at the time of the albums' releases? I enjoy reviews, but most that are available that I've found are from recent years. I am more interested in what the critics thought and wrote in context, at the time.

I'd appreciate any help.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
JScott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 05:14:38 PM »

Lots of original comments in the "Back to the Beach" book.

“Hey, I don’t know the answer to life. I just know that when enough voices combine with the right melody, you’ve got the sound of heaven.”
MBE
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 11:30:27 PM »

The revews from that time are more interesting. Most LPs seem to be well recieved except for some horrible Rolling Stone reviews of Stlll Crusin and MIU. Not my favorite LPs but they tore them apart without really saying why they didn't work
al
Smiley Smile Associate

Home again Home again jiggety jig...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 05:47:40 AM »

I've got a lot from 15 Big Ones onwards in the UK (from the NME, Sounds and Melody Maker) and almost all are bad - and get worse as they go on. I've got a huge batch of clippings of interviews and stuff from about 74 onwards that was in the UK music press, including Nick Kent's original 4 week piece on the band and Brian in particular that I have kept.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 07:26:15 AM »

I bought some old second hand teen magazines a couple of years ago.  In one of them, (I'll have to find it when I get home later today) there was a scathing review of the MIU album.  Went something like "when are they going to stop this charade and scam?  they haven't had a good album in 10 years"

Somehow I wasn't surprised that it was reviewed that way on its release.
MBE
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 03:31:06 PM »

I think Hit Parader or something had a good review of MIU, Ken Barnes (who wrote the first Beach Boys book) gave 15 Big Ones a great review but in his book panned "Surf's Up", "So-Tough", and "Holland". Go figure!
Quincy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 07:58:59 AM »

I've got a Hit Parader from "67" that has a review of Smiley Smile..they say It's ok in it's own way..but after all the hype for Smile it's kind of a letdow..and a PS...at the bottom...We still like Pet Sounds better.

Butch
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 08:33:16 AM »

It would be cool if we could have a section in the "Media-forum" where such original-reviews from magazines could be uploaded.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 08:49:21 AM »

That's kind of what I was hoping for...

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006, 05:40:22 PM »

Robert Christgau has is original reviews for most of the albums from Wild Honey through 1985 up on his website http://www.robertchristgau.com   Can't say I agree with him on some of them though.

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2006, 08:11:29 PM »

I don't think those are reviews from the time. For example, the Wild Honey one says "Tell me, what other pop seer was inspired enough to cover a Stevie Wonder song in 1967?", implying that it was written way after 1967.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx