gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680845 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 09:18:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Messing with people's minds (via compilations)  (Read 1877 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 30, 2006, 02:50:34 PM »

Anyone else like to introduce non-Beach Boy fans to their music using non-stereotypical fare? I have a compilation I did of post-Smile tapes through Sunflower that I've been using for years, but now I did a new one using the more rootsy sounds of (mostly) the Chaplin/Fataar era. I had a great time playing it for a friend of mine who is pretty familiar with stuff through Sunflower and of Love You, but not this material much. I had him thoroughly confused, and I look forward to messing with the minds of my other friends as I barrage them with Beach Boys from every angle.

Track list of this "double album" (on a single disc):

Side One:
I'm Going Your Way
Trader
Hold On, Dear Brother
Steamboat
Marcella

Side Two:
We Got Love
Big Sur (Holland version, edited out beginning and end to sound good alone)
Here She Comes
Funky Pretty
Make It Good

Side Three:
You Need a Mess of Help to Stand Alone
Long Promised Road
Leaving This Town
All This is That

Side Four:
Sail On, Sailor
Feel Flows
Only With You
Cuddle Up

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 02:58:45 PM »

I often find that unexpected surprises can throw off listeners.  I blew someone's mind once by playing them Wild Honey from the London 1972 TV show and not telling them who it was.  When they finally were told I got a very long, very puzzled look.
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 07:35:09 PM »

I played "How She Boogalooed It" to one of my friends and they thought it was a Paul Simon tune at first

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 08:18:14 PM »

To shake a friend's impression of the Beach Boys being a surfing band only, I played Smiley Smile. I think his preference fell on the familiar surfing music.  :D

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 08:25:11 PM »

Many years ago when I was much younger and much insecure about being a Beach boy fanatic, I tried to impress the girl of my dreams with a Beach Boys' mix tape.

I was afraid she would consider the surf and turf stuff too lightweight, so I concentrated on the "serious" period between Pet Sounds and Holland. I thought I made the perfect tape, and her response was -  "it's so melancholy". Ouch!

I quickly regrouped and made another tape including all the hits from "Surfin Safari" to "Barbara Ann". She loved it! I remember her saying that her favorite song was "Catch A Wave". You just can't win...
Joel5001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 01:01:14 AM »

Anyone else like to introduce non-Beach Boy fans to their music using non-stereotypical fare? I have a compilation I did of post-Smile tapes through Sunflower that I've been using for years, but now I did a new one using the more rootsy sounds of (mostly) the Chaplin/Fataar era. I had a great time playing it for a friend of mine who is pretty familiar with stuff through Sunflower and of Love You, but not this material much. I had him thoroughly confused, and I look forward to messing with the minds of my other friends as I barrage them with Beach Boys from every angle.

Track list of this "double album" (on a single disc):

Side One:
I'm Going Your Way
Trader
Hold On, Dear Brother
Steamboat
Marcella

Side Two:
We Got Love
Big Sur (Holland version, edited out beginning and end to sound good alone)
Here She Comes
Funky Pretty
Make It Good

Side Three:
You Need a Mess of Help to Stand Alone
Long Promised Road
Leaving This Town
All This is That

Side Four:
Sail On, Sailor
Feel Flows
Only With You
Cuddle Up

Excellent comp.  I might burn a copy just for myself.  Consider throwing "Hard Times" on there.  That one really confuses people.

"First of all, let's get one thing straight: Crack is cheap. I make too much money to ever smoke crack." - Whitney Houston
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 01:46:35 PM »

The day I graduated high school they loaded us all on a bus to lock us in some hotel for the night to make sure we wouldn't get in drunk car accidents or something. The whole back of the bus (where I was sitting) sang a bunch of Beach Boys songs. California Girls, Surfin' USA, Barbara Ann, even Wouldn't It Be Nice. Everyone was singing along, having a good time. Then I sang She's Going Bald. I'm sure you all can imagine the reaction.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx