gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680752 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 01:13:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chris White RIP  (Read 3145 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« on: December 23, 2014, 03:25:01 AM »

Shocked to learn a short time ago that one of my oldest and dearest Beach Boys related friends, Chris White, has just passed away. Some of you may know of his 1976 British hit record, "Spanish Wine". I'm shocked and stunned beyond belief, and my heart goes out to his wife and children.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bluesno1fann
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 04:39:06 AM »

R.I.P.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 04:41:41 AM by BAmBU Dennis » Logged
Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 05:19:52 AM »

I'm sorry to hear about your friend Andrew.
It's sad when we lose someone we love at any time, but losing them at this time of year always seems to compound that sadness.

Sad

Some of our forum members suffer from an acute form of cynicism resulting in a complete lack of patience and manners in the face of anything joyful or optimistic. Try to humor them as best you can for the time being, and one day, with your help, we will find a cure for this devastating disease. This has been a public service announcement.
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 09:28:21 AM »

Deepest condolences Andrew.  

Should add for the benefit of those unfamiliar with him, that he was a different Chris White from the one who played bass for The Zombies. Though his album Mouth Music had a cover of the calypso number Zombie Jamboree (also recorded by Nilsson around that time), which is one reason some people have confused them.

The recordings of this Chris White were never issued on CD - apart from one very rare Japanese release on the Vivid Sound label -and vinyl copies tend to be scarce. But on eBay right now there's a copy of Mouth Music for $10, which includes his cover of Surfin USA, and a later non-LP 45 of Don't Worry Baby is also listed.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 09:53:32 AM by rn57 » Logged
Third Coast
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 10:00:31 AM »

What sad news. I'm stunned and crushed. I loved this guy's music, have been listening since my friend Alan Forbes turned me on to it in the late '70s. His album "Mouth Music" on Charisma sounds like what the Beach Boys should have been doing during the same period. (And it did come out on CD as an expensive import about 10 years ago, but is probably out of print.) Chris also recorded as the Surfonics later, and his skills and singing were strong as ever. Chris also was extremely kind to Alan, the aforementioned friend, after he wrote to Chris and sent him rare Beach Boys tapes; in return, Chris mailed rare and unreleased stuff of his own, all of which was as good or better than what he had released. What a loss. Thank you, Andrew, for letting us know. I hope everyone explores Chris' music and gets to hear it. You can find a little of it on YouTube, at least.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 03:47:47 PM »

This is so sad. Chris was a steadfast guy and a fine talent. I met him on my trips to the UK in 2002 and 2004.  May his soul rest in peace.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2014, 03:43:40 PM »

Very sad to hear this. 'Mouth Music' is a great album.

I've always had a soft spot for 'Frisbee' in particular. I Wonder how many Frisbee songs are out there? Can't be many!

RIP - Thank you for the music, Chris...

rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 03:30:37 PM »

Worth mentioning that Mouth Music was one of the comparatively rare post-1973 productions of Who/Kinks/Easybeats producer Shel Talmy.  In interviews in recent years, when asked what his biggest disappointments in the music biz were, Shel has always mentioned the failure of Chris' "Don't Look Down" to get chart action when it was released as a single.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx