gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:40:15 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Joe Cocker dies, 70  (Read 5948 times)
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2014, 03:14:15 AM »

Let's get this more on topic.... The BBC's coverage of Joe Cocker's death mentions that he had success with covers of a number of songs, including You Are So Beautiful, which specifically mentions Billy Preston AND Dennis Wilson as co-writers.

Does anyone know if the journalist, Ian Youngs, is a BB fan, because i guess he'd have to be with that kind of knowledge.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-30579568
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2014, 06:30:31 AM »

As sad as the passing of Joe Cocker is (this is certainly a bad year when it comes to our musical heroes) I do think this topic does belong in the General Music Discussion forum. Yes, there is a link with a song co-written by a Beach Boy. But this particular news is more focussed on Joe's passing.

By the way, yesterday two topics on Joe's passing were started on this board, one on the main forum and one on the General Music section. Those were merged (and placed in the Gen.Music section).

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2014, 09:32:12 AM »

Although Joe Cocker did have the highest charting version of a Dennis-penned (or co-penned) song I'd agree that posts about his passing fit better in GMD. 

Anyway, a truly great singer, who really know how to interpret a lyric. I was just listening to his version of Lennon's Isolation, a prime example of that. RIP
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2014, 12:41:31 PM »

My biggest regret in all the years I've done that radio thing is the night I turned down Joe's invitation to join him and 'the crew' for a post show party.  It would have taken place somewhere in Toronto but I had something on the next day and didn't want to jeopardize my availability.  Joe's repuation as a party animal preceded this opportunity and I was pretty sure that I'd likely come out of this 'spent' at the very least.  After I passed Joe asked a 2nd time...You sure?...And I again declined.  As they were leaving he again made mention of the location in case I changed my mind.

I think I've regretted not going since...the next day.  Embarrassed

This would have been back in later August, 1992.  So I've really only regretted it for about 22 and 1/2 years...although never more-so than today.  My time with Joe suggested that he was a pretty good fella.  Me on the other hand?  A Numbskull. Ahhh!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 12:45:32 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2014, 12:55:22 PM »

RIP Joe Cocker. My earliest memory of Joe Cocker dates back to my childhood. I must've been about 10 years old (early 80s). There was something on television about Woodstock and I saw this wild man with large sideburns wearing a tie-dye shirt basically screaming into the microphone. I remember thinking 'wow, I like this crazy guy!' Then when I was 13 I bought the Mad Dogs And Englishmen album at a used record store in Woonsocket RI with my paper route money.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2014, 01:18:21 PM »

My first memory of the man was his 1968 single "Marjorine", which preceded "WALHFMF" by almost six months:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2vRA3yhGbE

A one-in-a-million voice. Rest in peace, sir.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2014, 09:54:37 PM »

Horrible to hear this.  We were talking about how he was an either love it or hate it kind of singer.  Personally I always liked his style, my friends and I often laughed and applauded how great the last "to me" is at the end of You Are So Beautiful, only Joe could have gotten away with doing that. 
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx