gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:37:18 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vega-Tables and Wonderful  (Read 8458 times)
blossomworld
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 21, 2014, 09:43:50 PM »

Anyone else notice the similarities between the tag on the Smile Sessions version of Vega-Tables and the bridge on the Smiley Smile version of Wonderful, or am I just making this up? Is there any relationship between the two?

Wouldn't it be nice
If
PhDs
Were strokin' me with hypotheses
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 11:22:45 PM »

Anyone else notice the similarities between the tag on the Smile Sessions version of Vega-Tables and the bridge on the Smiley Smile version of Wonderful, or am I just making this up? Is there any relationship between the two?

The low notes on said tag resemble the low notes of the Bicycle Rider theme, while the bridge IS the BR theme in a major key.

Actually this is something that people noticed years ago, so if someone criticizes you for not noticing earlier or not using the search function, don't feel too bad about it.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
JasonK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 07:46:24 AM »

Hey, I noticed that too, many years ago when I first became a SMiLE fan and posted it on one of the old, old message boards.  Thought I had discovered something new and everyone made me feel like an idiot.  I thought it was pretty cool at the time.  It's my favorite part of Vegetables.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 08:22:40 AM »

COMMENT:  In case you weren't aware, there is a Vega-tables Study-Video you might enjoy checking out.

See:  http://swdstudyvideos.com

~swd
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 08:26:01 AM »

Terrific stuff, too! Thanks for all the work, guys. Fascinating. Any new videos in the works we can look forward to?
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 03:01:20 PM »

Yes as micha points out as well as its similarity to the vegetables fade, it's also similar to the major key br variations that crop up in Heroes and Villains Part 2. I don't think there's any larger significance other than Brian having favourite segments that he shifted between songs at a whim but who knows.

I do think wonderful, sublime though it is, benefits hugely from such a contrasting middle 8. I always feel the smile version as it appears on disc 1 of TSS lacks that counterpoint - it's almost too nice as is.

If BW did indeed ditch Look as the December track list would suggest, I wonder if it ever crossed his mind to cannibalise any of it for other songs? We know how well it works with Wonderful segueing into it on BWPS. However, I always feel that the pulsing chorus of Look would've created the perfect slow/fast dynamic had it been added as the chorus to wonderful. Like a poppier Cabinessence.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 11:08:18 PM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 05:55:20 PM »

Look was cannibalized - the chorus was echoed in the a Capella section near the end of Good Vibrations, and another part ended up as the middle 8 section of Child.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 10:41:30 PM »

I do think wonderful, sublime though it is, benefits hugely from such a contrasting middle 8. I always feel the smile version as it appears on disc 1 of TSS lacks that counterpoint - it's almost too nice as is.

I also think that a middle 8 would improve "Wonderful" to another level. So, willfully ignoring the composer's intentions I mean-spiritedly cobbled together a middle 8 from spare parts. Not stopping there, I also cannibalised another song and added an intro that IMHO fits like a glove in instrumentation, lyrics, and, surprisingly, keywise. Good thing Brian had a favorite key at the time!

Buddhahat, I don't know if this middle 8 is as contrasting as you have it in mind - I used a piece that has about the same tempo - but in case you're interested, here it is:

Wondeful edited by me.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 11:22:42 PM by Micha » Logged

blossomworld
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 09:16:27 PM »

This is fantastic! I'm not sure I like it better than without a middle 8, but it sure is better than what they came up with for Smiley Smile. Also, the "children were raised" bit works weirdly well as an intro to Wonderful--the more I think about it, the more I realize that SMiLE could have been composed of nothing but Heroes and Villains.

Wouldn't it be nice
If
PhDs
Were strokin' me with hypotheses
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 10:47:17 PM »

This is fantastic! I'm not sure I like it better than without a middle 8, but it sure is better than what they came up with for Smiley Smile. Also, the "children were raised" bit works weirdly well as an intro to Wonderful--the more I think about it, the more I realize that SMiLE could have been composed of nothing but Heroes and Villains.

Thank you very much and merry Christmas! Smiley

The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 11:01:25 PM »

I also think that a middle 8 would improve "Wonderful" to another level. So, willfully ignoring the composer's intentions I mean-spiritedly cobbled together a middle 8 from spare parts. Not stopping there, I also cannibalised another song and added an intro that IMHO fits like a glove in instrumentation, lyrics, and, surprisingly, keywise. Good thing Brian had a favorite key at the time!

Buddhahat, I don't know if this middle 8 is as contrasting as you have it in mind - I used a piece that has about the same tempo - but in case you're interested, here it is:

Wondeful edited by me.

Is that link not working for anyone else?
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 11:25:01 PM »

Seems I had screwed it up. I fixed it in the original post now, and here it is too:

Wondeful edited by me.

Buddhahat seems to have found a way to listen to it in spite of the bad link.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2014, 12:12:39 AM »

That was tremendous - great alignment Micha. Thank you.

“We live in divisive times.”
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2014, 12:52:36 AM »

That was tremendous - great alignment Micha. Thank you.

Thank you! Smiley I'm going to decorate my Christmas tree now.

The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2014, 05:41:01 PM »

Excellent job!  The middle 8 fits very well although I don't like it as a part of the song.  I also agree that the intro fits like a glove.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2014, 01:10:57 AM »

Excellent job!  The middle 8 fits very well although I don't like it as a part of the song.  I also agree that the intro fits like a glove.

Thank you for your feedback and merry Christmas! Smiley
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 01:29:40 AM by Micha » Logged

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2014, 01:57:43 PM »

-the more I think about it, the more I realize that SMiLE could have been composed of nothing but Heroes and Villains.

I often have the feeling that that was the case. Of course Smile04 doesn't really go that way.

Micha, thanks for that link. It's cool and the edits work very well.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2014, 02:42:33 PM »

COMMENT:  In case you weren't aware, there is a Vega-tables Study-Video you might enjoy checking out.

See:  http://swdstudyvideos.com

~swd

Thanks Stephen.  You are a treasure-trove of these things...But then again, you're you!  I was lucky enough to hear you mixing in the studio and on tour.  I am a lucky woman...
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2014, 01:49:18 AM »

-the more I think about it, the more I realize that SMiLE could have been composed of nothing but Heroes and Villains.

I often have the feeling that that was the case. Of course Smile04 doesn't really go that way.

Micha, thanks for that link. It's cool and the edits work very well.

Danke dir! Smiley Fröhliche Weihnachten!

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2014, 03:42:15 AM »

Could Rock With Me Henry have been an intended middle 8?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2014, 06:51:21 AM »

Could Rock With Me Henry have been an intended middle 8?

IMHO very unlikely, that seems to be a new complete version with no middle 8 intended for it either. Isn't that one in a different key as well? The Smiley middle 8 may have been inserted as replacement for the junked "All fall down" verse.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2014, 09:37:34 AM »

Would the key be a deal breaker? Wasn't it labeled as "Wonderful (insert)"?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2014, 08:52:52 AM »

Wow! I just checked out the Stephen Desper site. So cool!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2014, 01:38:48 AM »

Was it? insert could also mean "overdub", I think. The key could be a deal breaker, as the pieces I used fit in both key and tempo, that's why it sounds so smooth.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2014, 11:15:09 AM »

I think you're thinking of something else, I think.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx