gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:45:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Hypothetical  (Read 2068 times)
Rocket
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 21, 2014, 07:55:03 PM »

Let's say that an modern day recording artist drops an album that is sonically similar to Pet Sounds. Wall of Sound used, lots of strings and horns, etc. Would the artist get critically panned for using an old, outdated sound or critically acclaimed for bringing back a sound that was really only used on one album (let's be honest, there really are no albums that truly sound like Pet Sounds)? It's obviously not easy to do what Brian did on that album and recreating the mood would be difficult, so I personally believe it would be acclaimed. Of course if this happened, this new album wouldn't sell well, but would it be critically praised or panned?

(I apologize if this fits better in the General Music Discussion section, I didn't know where to put it)

elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 08:37:26 PM »

Probably not the answer you're looking for, but I suspect it would slip by unnoticed as much of the bands I have personally liked over the last several years have. Check out The Crimea on Spotify if you have it, 'Requiem Aeternum' and 'Someone's Crying' in particular. When I was a teenager my dream was to be in a rock and roll band. When I heard bands as good as them - something I'd aspire to - weren't selling, I gave up on that dream. If the people I wish I was as good as can't make it, what chance do I have?

That said today music is about marketing. I'm sure if say, any of the two-bit flavour of the month white guys with guitars did something in a Pet Sounds vein it would be acclaimed. If a new artist tried it? Not a hope in hell IMO

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 09:16:57 PM »

When I was a teenager my dream was to be in a rock and roll band. When I heard bands as good as them - something I'd aspire to - weren't selling, I gave up on that dream.

:|

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 10:07:20 PM »

I think that Amy Winehouse did a great job using that "wall of sound" in her music (especially the "back to Black" album)and it did very well..
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 05:35:59 AM »

I have seen reviews on a lot of albums that compare the production to Pet Sounds.  And it's always in high praise.  Many times its as much like Pet Sounds as Sgt Pepper is, but I have heard plenty of modern bands that do have that kind of production and arrangements.  I have heard individual songs that are just as good. A whole album?  I'm not sure.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 08:25:34 AM »

Two of the best  Pet Sounds-alikes in recent history. The first is an obvious choice :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncakqjoH-hY

The second a very affectionate homage :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIXs66BPooY
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 08:53:54 AM »

Two of the best  Pet Sounds-alikes in recent history. The first is an obvious choice :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncakqjoH-hY

The second a very affectionate homage :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIXs66BPooY

Thanks for bringing this Holiday cheer as a reminder that there are amazing musicians who know and respect this music - always.  The Wondermints and R.E.M never fail to bring a bit of joy.  Even with Chaos Theory ruling the cyberspace music business, somehow this brilliance lives on and is available.   Brian gets lots of love from his fellow musicians, and the Universe seems to recognize great stuff and allows it to thrive.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 03:08:01 PM »

I like Paloma Faith's "Only Love Can Hurt Like This". Has the Brian/Spector vibe.  Wouldn't it be nice if this was the kind of thing he was doing with the guests on "No Pier Pressure"?
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx