gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:49:48 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: General public reception to Surf's Up  (Read 19326 times)
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2014, 02:23:38 PM »

I'll betcha his favourite version of 'Darlin' ISN'T on that same album.  Great open.  Excellent close.  Mediocre in between.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 31, 2014, 12:45:59 PM »

Cassidy is pretty mediocre to be fair. Saw him in concert once … not moved.

“We live in divisive times.”
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 31, 2014, 02:04:54 PM »

I'll betcha his favourite version of 'Darlin' ISN'T on that same album.  Great open.  Excellent close.  Mediocre in between.

So David's Darlin isn't Bruce's favorite?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
groganb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 31, 2014, 10:04:32 PM »

I worked at my college radio station at the time Surf's Up came out. Our music director had scrawled on the back of Sunflower, "Side 2 is bearable," or maybe it was Side 1. Such was the BB's status at the time. When they played at our school, though, Carl and Al came wandering through our station and I was handed an acetate of "Long Promised Road" I understood to just have been delivered to them. I *may* have been the first DJ anywhere to play it on the air. Dunno for sure.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 01, 2015, 12:06:29 AM »

I worked at my college radio station at the time Surf's Up came out. Our music director had scrawled on the back of Sunflower, "Side 2 is bearable," or maybe it was Side 1. Such was the BB's status at the time. When they played at our school, though, Carl and Al came wandering through our station and I was handed an acetate of "Long Promised Road" I understood to just have been delivered to them. I *may* have been the first DJ anywhere to play it on the air. Dunno for sure.

That is awesome.  Did you get a chance to talk to them at all?

groganb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 01, 2015, 09:05:22 PM »

No, unfortunately. I was on the air when they passed by the broadcast booth. A couple of minutes later, I was handed the acetate. Carl look a lot more imposing up close than I expected.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 02, 2015, 07:18:25 AM »

I remember that SU was sympathetically written up in RS with Carl explaining a lot of the process on LPR and FF etc.. SU did not generate the buzz of the old days but I seem to remember it getting a significant bump up over the recent past amongst the college crowd of which I was one. Do I remember any of that correctly?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 07:36:41 AM by Cam Mott » Logged

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 02, 2015, 07:28:15 AM »

I remember that SU was sympathetically written up in RS with Carl explaining a lot of the process on LPR and FF ect.. SU did not generate the buzz of the old days but I seem to remember it getting a significant bump up over the recent past amongst the college crowd of which I was one. Do I remember any of that correctly?
Cam - you're correct. It got "buzz" of a non-traditional, non-commercial, and non-AM radio sort. It reminds me of a brush fire. Slow, constant and not explosive.  FM had paid attention to Brian's Surf's Up and kept it in the discussion, at least where I was, and in college as well.  And they were already on the college campuses to network that.  

And, I like to think of the 73/74 Concert album as the one for the college students, because it captures exactly that era and feel, at least for me.  
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 07:29:26 AM by filledeplage » Logged
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: January 02, 2015, 07:31:06 AM »

Ya Cam...I'd say that's reasonably accurate.  The album also got airplay on free-form FM and campus radio stations.  I'd say that THAT was at least as important as the words contained in RS Mag.  No hit songs on Top 40 radio but for some...it was a 'cool' album to hear and/or own with SOME of the college crowd. Cool Guy

------------------------

I was typing as 'filled' was filing.  Seems we agree.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 07:32:38 AM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 02, 2015, 04:37:30 PM »

LPR charted fair around Michigan and SDT went to at least #7 for a few weeks in Boston.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2015, 06:52:44 PM »

deleted - posted in wrong thread - y mistake
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 06:55:50 PM by NHC » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx