gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:27:38 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SIP Could Have Sold Much Better As Is  (Read 35918 times)
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2014, 06:14:45 AM »

Hypehat summed up this album the best!:

Ok, so I have a half a bottle of wine in me and another to go after a steady day of drinking, and listening to Summer In Paradise seems like a fantastic idea right now. It's been so hard to live without it, so lets talk about it.

1) Hot Fun In The Summertime

DEAR JESUS THE SNARE. We will have to get used to this.
Also, "Whisperin'" Mike Love. I like to picture putting HOURS into these leads.
Carl telling me we can "Bum bum bum" is kinda flattering imo.
SAX SOLO. Those breaks make me flinch.
This thing is mixed so fucking terribly Carl's high notes vanish from the mix.
also, WHAT THE HELL IS CARL DOING. I guess given Beckley/Lamm/Wilson, it's safe to say that absolutely every vestige of Carl's taste had disappeared by this point. He might have even thought this was A GOOD IDEA.

2. Surfin'

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
f*** me, the vocals on this are absolutely terrrrrrrrrrible. NASAL DOMINATION. Carl being SHITE. Like, even his smack-addled late 70's performances have merit. This sucks.
Not to mention ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING ELSE ABOUT THIS.
new lyrics. NEW LYRICS
MORE OF THEM.
I'm in pain. There are ten more songs. WHY.

3. SUMMER OF LOVE.

Mike Love, I will come round your house and make my fist meditate up your arse for this.
CHRIST ON A BICYCLE THE DJ SCRATCHES.
My Grandma has better flow than MC "Whisperin" Love.
attached and back don't rhyme, you bald apple juice chuggin goon.

4. Island Fever

These verse appear to be words in the english language. But they make no sense.
The Beach Boys' hymn to sexually transmitted diseases?
"My baby caught it and I'm not quite sure how/she might have got it from her travel brochure?" - Denny lives?
My baby can't dance or sleep because IT BURNS.
KEYCHANGE
f*** synthesisers, btw.

5. Still Surfin'

What the hell is this.
WHAT THE HELL IS THIS.
The fact I've spent a lot of time editing other things during this song speaks volumes.
What the hell makes ANYONE think it's ok to drop mexican terms for women in verses. Mamacita and the like. f*** YOU, MIKE.

6. Slow Summer Dancin' (Unneccesary parentheses)

IN BOTH CORNERS, BRUCE JOHNSTON
DETAILING HOW HE'S GONNA MAKE SWEET, SWEET, SWEET LOVE TO GROUPIES.
Misheard "I'll treat my angel really nice" as "I'll treat my ANUS.....REALLY NICE!"
Al "The Songwriter" Jardine keeping up his fine, fine, tradition of contributing entirely original melodic and lyrical ideas to songs. HOW DO YOU SLEEP AT NIGHT
That sax break. NO.

7. Strange Things Happen.

Ok, this is the worst thing so far.

It's something to do with the combination of SLAMMIN' MIKE LOVE JAMS and Al "Well, that never happened before!" Jardine learning about sex in 1991.

OH MY GOD. This is so so so s oo soooooo awful. I am crying with laughter.

8. Remember (Walking In The Sand)

Carl, I do love you, but when Mary Weiss dies she's going to find you in heaven and BEAT SEVEN SHADES OF CRAP OUT OF YOU FOR THIS.

"Echoing" Mike Love is also particularly ridiculous.

THE SAX SOLOS. AHSHGSHDGFXBGDGXFNJDMKYI6

GUYS I'M LOSING THE WILL TO LIVE. I HATE THIS ALBUM.

9. Lahina Aloha

Tropical beats
meaningless title
SOOOOOLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
palm trees
paradise
"Whisperin" Love

the f*** is this DRIVEL. I FEEL LIKE I'M BEING VIOLATED WITH OFFENSIVE ITEMS CARVED OUT OF JELLY OR SOMETHING. OFFENSIVE SMOOTHNESS. It's some terrible oxymoron i wouldn't believe possible if it wasn't fucking me in my ears.
THE HELL.

THREE MORE TRACKS LEFT, YOU CAN DO IT.

10. Under The Boardwalk

MIke Love, you get the f*** away from my girl.
Carl, I'm sorry, but The Drifters are also going to beat the hell out of you up there too. Possibly Carole King as well. At least they'll be tired after beating mike love to shreds. And you, Al.
ANOTHER SAXOPHONE SOLO. mo'fos.

As an aside, guys, this is one of the most awful albums in terms of production, mixing and mastering I've ever heard. IT IS THIN AS HELL.

11. SUMMER IN PARADISE.

dig that jangly fauxbyrds guitar.
THOSE 'HARMONY' VOCALS ARE CRAP. BRIAN WOULD BEAT YOU DEAD IF HE WAS IN THAT SESSION.
I think these might be EVEN WORSE LYRICS than Strange Things Happen or MC LOVE in something else.
f***, IT'S JIM MCGUINN.
that explains the guitar.
YOU BITCH, MCGUINN.

This is shite. musically, aurally, it's balls. BALLLLLLS. BIG SWEATY, HAIRY, OOZING TESTICLES. I feel ill.

12. Stamorever.

I have no more bile. I just have wine. After the systematic and calculated raping of the entire spectrum of pop music through these twelve tracks, some arsehole covering a Dennis Wilson song pales in comparison. I mean, it even has woodblocks on it, which makes it more reverent of a 'classic' bb's sound than anything on this record yet.

SEE WHAT THIS RECORD HAS DONE TO ME. I AM DEFENDING STAMOS

and with one fucking horrible sounding fake midi chord on the keyboard, that's it. The worst record I ever heard.

Good post. You managed to sum up everything that makes SIP a despicable album!
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2014, 08:23:25 AM »

9. Lahina Aloha

Tropical beats
meaningless title
palm trees
paradise
"Whisperin" Love

the f*** is this DRIVEL. I FEEL LIKE I'M BEING VIOLATED WITH OFFENSIVE ITEMS CARVED OUT OF JELLY OR SOMETHING. OFFENSIVE SMOOTHNESS. It's some terrible oxymoron i wouldn't believe possible if it wasn't fucking me in my ears.
THE HELL.

Man, this may be an unpopular opinion around here, but "Lahaina Aloha" is a guilty pleasure of mine. Carl's vocals alone totally redeem this track.

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2014, 08:30:44 AM »

Hypehat summed up this album the best!:

Ok, so I have a half a bottle of wine in me and another to go after a steady day of drinking, and listening to Summer In Paradise seems like a fantastic idea right now. It's been so hard to live without it, so lets talk about it.

1) Hot Fun In The Summertime

DEAR JESUS THE SNARE. We will have to get used to this.
Also, "Whisperin'" Mike Love. I like to picture putting HOURS into these leads.
Carl telling me we can "Bum bum bum" is kinda flattering imo.
SAX SOLO. Those breaks make me flinch.
This thing is mixed so fucking terribly Carl's high notes vanish from the mix.
also, WHAT THE HELL IS CARL DOING. I guess given Beckley/Lamm/Wilson, it's safe to say that absolutely every vestige of Carl's taste had disappeared by this point. He might have even thought this was A GOOD IDEA.

2. Surfin'

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
f*** me, the vocals on this are absolutely terrrrrrrrrrible. NASAL DOMINATION. Carl being SHITE. Like, even his smack-addled late 70's performances have merit. This sucks.
Not to mention ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING ELSE ABOUT THIS.
new lyrics. NEW LYRICS
MORE OF THEM.
I'm in pain. There are ten more songs. WHY.

3. SUMMER OF LOVE.

Mike Love, I will come round your house and make my fist meditate up your arse for this.
CHRIST ON A BICYCLE THE DJ SCRATCHES.
My Grandma has better flow than MC "Whisperin" Love.
attached and back don't rhyme, you bald apple juice chuggin goon.

4. Island Fever

These verse appear to be words in the english language. But they make no sense.
The Beach Boys' hymn to sexually transmitted diseases?
"My baby caught it and I'm not quite sure how/she might have got it from her travel brochure?" - Denny lives?
My baby can't dance or sleep because IT BURNS.
KEYCHANGE
f*** synthesisers, btw.

5. Still Surfin'

What the hell is this.
WHAT THE HELL IS THIS.
The fact I've spent a lot of time editing other things during this song speaks volumes.
What the hell makes ANYONE think it's ok to drop mexican terms for women in verses. Mamacita and the like. f*** YOU, MIKE.

6. Slow Summer Dancin' (Unneccesary parentheses)

IN BOTH CORNERS, BRUCE JOHNSTON
DETAILING HOW HE'S GONNA MAKE SWEET, SWEET, SWEET LOVE TO GROUPIES.
Misheard "I'll treat my angel really nice" as "I'll treat my ANUS.....REALLY NICE!"
Al "The Songwriter" Jardine keeping up his fine, fine, tradition of contributing entirely original melodic and lyrical ideas to songs. HOW DO YOU SLEEP AT NIGHT
That sax break. NO.

7. Strange Things Happen.

Ok, this is the worst thing so far.

It's something to do with the combination of SLAMMIN' MIKE LOVE JAMS and Al "Well, that never happened before!" Jardine learning about sex in 1991.

OH MY GOD. This is so so so s oo soooooo awful. I am crying with laughter.

8. Remember (Walking In The Sand)

Carl, I do love you, but when Mary Weiss dies she's going to find you in heaven and BEAT SEVEN SHADES OF CRAP OUT OF YOU FOR THIS.

"Echoing" Mike Love is also particularly ridiculous.

THE SAX SOLOS. AHSHGSHDGFXBGDGXFNJDMKYI6

GUYS I'M LOSING THE WILL TO LIVE. I HATE THIS ALBUM.

9. Lahina Aloha

Tropical beats
meaningless title
palm trees
paradise
"Whisperin" Love

THE HELL.

THREE MORE TRACKS LEFT, YOU CAN DO IT.

10. Under The Boardwalk

MIke Love, you get the f*** away from my girl.
Carl, I'm sorry, but The Drifters are also going to beat the hell out of you up there too. Possibly Carole King as well. At least they'll be tired after beating mike love to shreds. And you, Al.
ANOTHER SAXOPHONE SOLO. mo'fos.

As an aside, guys, this is one of the most awful albums in terms of production, mixing and mastering I've ever heard. IT IS THIN AS HELL.

11. SUMMER IN PARADISE.

dig that jangly fauxbyrds guitar.
THOSE 'HARMONY' VOCALS ARE CRAP. BRIAN WOULD BEAT YOU DEAD IF HE WAS IN THAT SESSION.
I think these might be EVEN WORSE LYRICS than Strange Things Happen or MC LOVE in something else.
f***, IT'S JIM MCGUINN.
that explains the guitar.
YOU BITCH, MCGUINN.

This is shite. musically, aurally, it's balls. BALLLLLLS. BIG SWEATY, HAIRY, OOZING TESTICLES. I feel ill.

12. Stamorever.

I have no more bile. I just have wine. After the systematic and calculated raping of the entire spectrum of pop music through these twelve tracks, some arsehole covering a Dennis Wilson song pales in comparison. I mean, it even has woodblocks on it, which makes it more reverent of a 'classic' bb's sound than anything on this record yet.

SEE WHAT THIS RECORD HAS DONE TO ME. I AM DEFENDING STAMOS

and with one fucking horrible sounding fake midi chord on the keyboard, that's it. The worst record I ever heard.

Your Magnum Opus, SB.  w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 08:18:42 AM by The LEGENDARY OSD » Logged

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2014, 09:21:49 AM »

9. Lahina Aloha

Tropical beats
meaningless title
palm trees
paradise
"Whisperin" Love

THE HELL.

Man, this may be an unpopular opinion around here, but "Lahaina Aloha" is a guilty pleasure of mine. Carl's vocals alone totally redeem this track.
Lahaina Aloha is my favorite. Carl is brilliant.  People seem to strongly object to the electronic production.  My take was that they were just "trying something new out" and it was experimentation, which they had done, via Brian for decades. 

But, I wonder if it was in a more "acoustic" analog-type and less digital, with real percussion, whether it might have been better received.  I'm not convinced the music is bad.  But, people object to the artificiality of the presentation.  (As I have objected to C50 autotune.) Hope I have not used the terms incorrectly and insulted the real sound experts, here.

But, a lot of "electro" style music was emerging at the time, and perhaps that was an influence. 

And, I still like Summer in Paradise, live, with its "activist" message.  Wink
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2014, 09:28:54 AM »

Lahaina Aloha is the only song that I enjoy on the album. Like Kokomo, my enjoyment comes down to Carl's great vocal. The song itself reminds me more of a later day Jimmy Buffett style song than a Beach Boys song.

I agree with SMiLE Brian that the sound of the album is very thin.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2014, 09:31:53 AM »

yes "Lahaina Aloha" is the "Somewhere Near Japan" or the "Where I Belong" of the album, it sticks out like a sore thumb from the other songs on the album..and it makes you wonder why they couldn't do more songs like these.. I've heard that "Run don't walk" was written sometime around this time period somewhere, on here maybe? so take off slow dancing and replace it with "Run don't walk".. I believe it could be re figured to be a better album using songs by Brian and Carl that were in the can at the time..
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2014, 10:48:20 AM »

Lahaina Aloha was essentially a rewrite of Jamaica Farewell, although a very good one (in fact it is one of my very favourite post-L.A. songs, solo material included).

Overall I don't think the overall sound of SiP was the product of experimentation but, quite on the opposite, an utterly clueless and desperate move in order to fit in with the times. The Fine Young Cannibals drum sound in Strange Things Happen is the giveaway.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2014, 12:30:07 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 01:54:59 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2014, 12:55:52 PM »

Why is everyone missing the "*Hypehat summed it up best: ... " part ??

I am not commenting on the record at all, as I've never heard it - well, possibly on Mike Grant's show I may have heard a song or 2 not recognizing them and, admittedly not paying a lot of attention or turning them down if I really hated them.  All I can say is, that is the single most hilarious record review I've ever read.  If it is at all factual, it is far more worthy of my attention than the record.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2014, 11:45:34 PM »

I had a bias against SIP from the day I first saw it in the music store. I knew Brian was estranged from the band, so wasn't expecting him to be a part of it, but as my eyes scanned the tiles/writing credits on the back of the longbox, I did not see one song credited to C. Wilson or A. Jardine, and that fact alone made me hate the album. Didn't buy it until several years later when I found the cassette for a dollar in some used book store. Time has mellowed my feelings about SIP, but it's still the weakest studio album they did BY FAR. Mike and Terry take the Kokomo formula and beat it to death for 12 songs. There's not a "Somewhere Near Japan" or "Where I Belong" to redeem this turkey, although roughly half the songs I find tolerable. Anytime Carl sings, it lifts the quality of the album, but it's really a Mike Love solo album with the other guys' voices on it.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2014, 12:04:23 AM »

it's really a Mike Love solo album with the other guys' voices on it.

IMHO that's not a reason to not like it per se, as then you could go "Pet Sounds is a Brian Wilson solo album with the other guys' voices on it, so I don't like it" or "Love You is a Brian Wilson solo album with the other guys' voices on it, so I don't like it". Personally, while I love Pet Sounds, I'm not into Love You at all, though both are Brian albums. I think the songwriting on Love You is much better than on SIP, but to my ears and brain that album sounds even worse than the terrible drums of SIP.

What I mean to say is: I'd prefer a Mike-driven album with good songs to a Brian-driven album with mediocre songs, but given their respective talents, the former is pretty unlikely.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2014, 07:53:33 AM »

Your Magnus Opus, SB.  w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t!

Except that it wasn't him, but Hypehat from a few years ago. So, applying the Pinder Rule, he should be barred for reposting profane comments.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 07:55:22 AM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2014, 08:11:04 AM »

Oh, stop playing mod, AGD. Start your own board if you have some power fantasies that need fulfilling or need to protect the sanctity of "Summer in Paradise." Maybe you can mount an eloquent defense of it in the footnotes of Mike's book. It's a funny review, sheesh!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 08:14:48 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2014, 08:15:18 AM »

Your Magnus Opus, SB.  w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t!

Except that it wasn't him, but Hypehat from a few years ago. So, applying the Pinder Rule, he should be barred for reposting profane comments.

Andrew - I'm thinking some of your nearest and dearest may have posted, or re-posted profanity here - even recently - so it's probably time for a little Holiday generosity, or you may be missing some of your favorite friends.  The mods have been pretty transparent about temporary bans here, and they are careful in dishing them out.  Cheers and enjoy your celebrations, knowing the Board is in good hands.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2014, 08:16:02 AM »

Oh, stop playing mod, AGD. Start your own board if you have some power fantasies that need fulfilling or need to protect to sanctity of "Summer in Paradise." Maybe you can mount an eloquent defense of it in the footnotes of Mike's book. It's a funny review, sheesh!
Now there'sa damn good idea!! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2014, 08:16:14 AM »

Indeed, very funny, which is why I knew SB  didn't originate it.  Grin

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2014, 08:17:03 AM »

I guess OSD and I aren't on AGD's Christmas list. Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2014, 08:22:36 AM »

I guess OSD and I aren't on AGD's Christmas list. Wink
He checked the list twice-we were immediately deleted for being naughty and not nice to the lovester. Wink

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2014, 08:27:38 AM »

Andrew - I'm thinking some of your nearest and dearest may have posted, or re-posted profanity here - even recently - so it's probably time for a little Holiday generosity, or you may be missing some of your favorite friends.  The mods have been pretty transparent about temporary bans here, and they are careful in dishing them out.  Cheers and enjoy your celebrations, knowing the Board is in good hands.

As ever, Debra speaks words of calm wisdom. I see I have permitted the puerile droolings of a couple of infantile pismires to cloud my otherwise sunny nature.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2014, 08:30:48 AM »

It is more than a little disappointing to see something referenced such as the "Pinder rule" which may have been a comment made in jest even if it doesn't feel that way. That comment has absolutely no basis in truth and fact nor does it reflect what was explained *in depth* both publicly on the board and in private conversations as to the reasons how and why things happened as they did.

How much more transparent would this need to have been in order to avoid having things like this appear on the board? It was explained, it was done, end of story. To suggest it was done for "reposting profane comments" after this was explained publicly and privately is irresponsible and not welcome.

This has to end here.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2014, 08:46:08 AM »

Summer In Paradise will always be known as "that Beach Boys album that Brian Wilson wasn't on". And that's a shame, because it didn't have to happen that way, and it shouldn't have happened that way. Mike Love and Terry Melcher did their job well with their songwriting. They came up with five good to very good songs - "Lahaina Aloha", "Strange Things Happen", "Summer In Paradise", "Island Fever", and "Still Surfin". You had a nice Bruce Johnston effort and, in my opinion, a more than acceptable cover of "Forever" with one of Carl Wilson's greatest vocals...ever.

The only thing missing was three, four, or five Brian Wilson songs. And, the frustrating part was that he had 'em. It's too bad he was sitting on Sweet Insanity instead of being a Beach Boy. If you take the aforementioned seven songs, and add "Someone To Love", "The Spirit Of Rock And Roll", "Don't Let Her Know She's An Angel", "Make A Wish", and - take your pick - "Save The Day" or "Thank You", both with with different lyrics, you have a strong Beach Boys' album. Brian could no longer produce, so that was out of the question, but adding the fun/spark/rock & roll of his songs and his voice in the mix, Summer In Paradise would've been an entirely different album, assuming they were smart enough to eliminate the other weak tracks ("Summer Of Love", etc.) that did make the album in Brian's absence.

Exactly my point.  7 good/very good songs make a very good album.  Most releases by any artist cannot touch that.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 08:50:25 AM by The Legendary J-O-B » Logged
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 22, 2014, 08:50:08 AM »

As ever, Debra speaks words of calm wisdom. I see I have permitted the puerile droolings of a couple of infantile pismires to cloud my otherwise sunny nature.
Ah, yes, the name calling...wondered when we'd get around to that. This outing features a plethora of adjectives from the letter P. And which letter will we visit later today and tomorrow and the day after that and... Whatever!

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: December 22, 2014, 09:12:52 AM »

Going back OT... SIP isn't their shining moment. Few passable bits but those aside... best passed on.

job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 22, 2014, 09:16:39 AM »

Going back OT... SIP isn't their shining moment. Few passable bits but those aside... best passed on.

Absolutely not their shiniest moment but definitely not best passed on.  This is coming from a 72-75 period fanatic.

Oh and weren't you supposed to be gone for the week?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 22, 2014, 09:29:35 AM »

I had a bias against SIP from the day I first saw it in the music store. I knew Brian was estranged from the band, so wasn't expecting him to be a part of it, but as my eyes scanned the tiles/writing credits on the back of the longbox, I did not see one song credited to C. Wilson or A. Jardine, and that fact alone made me hate the album. Didn't buy it until several years later when I found the cassette for a dollar in some used book store. Time has mellowed my feelings about SIP, but it's still the weakest studio album they did BY FAR. Mike and Terry take the Kokomo formula and beat it to death for 12 songs. There's not a "Somewhere Near Japan" or "Where I Belong" to redeem this turkey, although roughly half the songs I find tolerable. Anytime Carl sings, it lifts the quality of the album, but it's really a Mike Love solo album with the other guys' voices on it.
Not saying you are wrong with your last sentence, but you could also say that every album from Surfin' Safari through Friends is really a Brian Wilson solo album with the other guys' voices on it. What always amazed me with this album is that, as good as Melcher was as a producer, that a much better job wasn't put into it. As poor as some of the songs are, better production could have helped a few of them.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.