gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:34:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SIP Could Have Sold Much Better As Is  (Read 35921 times)
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2014, 07:49:15 PM »

As bad as Surfin' is on this album, has anyone else at all heard that they remixed (or were going to remix) Surfin' into "a dance song" in the late 90's/early 00's?  I swear I did not dream this...Mike and Bruce played Reading Municipal Stadium in 2001 I believe and the local radio station, Y-102 (102.5) was promoting the show.  They were playing some Beach Boys songs during the day, including Getcha Back which I hadn't heard on the radio in well over a decade at that point, and the DJ mentioned that they were going to play a "new" Beach Boys' song around 5PM that day and then clarified it and said that it was a dance remix of Surfin'.  My initial reaction was "Please don't" but although I was morbidly curious, I wasn't around a radio around that time and missed it.  I did make it to the show that night though.  Has anyone else heard about this?

I recall Bruce mentioning this on the BB Britain Board in the early 00's. He said that it would be in the style of Britney Spears, if I remember correctly.

You know, the non-release of this sounds like the band's image avoided a bit of nuclear fallout there. My active imagination makes me think it would have made Here Comes the Night 1979 sound like Pet Sounds.

Bruce Johnston re-imagines Britney Spears. It'd really be a good way to salute NASCAR.

Properly this time. Sexily.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 07:50:06 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2014, 07:52:21 PM »

As bad as Surfin' is on this album, has anyone else at all heard that they remixed (or were going to remix) Surfin' into "a dance song" in the late 90's/early 00's?  I swear I did not dream this...Mike and Bruce played Reading Municipal Stadium in 2001 I believe and the local radio station, Y-102 (102.5) was promoting the show.  They were playing some Beach Boys songs during the day, including Getcha Back which I hadn't heard on the radio in well over a decade at that point, and the DJ mentioned that they were going to play a "new" Beach Boys' song around 5PM that day and then clarified it and said that it was a dance remix of Surfin'.  My initial reaction was "Please don't" but although I was morbidly curious, I wasn't around a radio around that time and missed it.  I did make it to the show that night though.  Has anyone else heard about this?

I recall Bruce mentioning this on the BB Britain Board in the early 00's. He said that it would be in the style of Britney Spears, if I remember correctly.

You know, the non-release of this sounds like the band's image avoided a bit of nuclear fallout there. My active imagination makes me think it would have made Here Comes the Night 1979 sound like Pet Sounds.

Bruce Johnston re-imagines Britney Spears. It'd really be a good way to salute NASCAR.

Properly this time. Sexily.

I'm gonna get really meta here with a remake suggestion that NEEDS to happen: Brian Wilson Reimagines Mike Love, Bruce Johnston, and David Marks of the Beach Boys Salute NASCAR.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2014, 09:32:05 PM »

« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 09:46:15 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2014, 09:38:36 PM »

I've softened considerably on SIP in the last couple of years. Its main failings are less that it's terrible (although there are a couple of terrible moments -- why on earth was this group so fixated on rapping?) and more that it's just a bunch of songs with a pretty similar feel and tempo. Mike does his best, but Terry Melcher is no Brian Wilson -- for that matter, Terry is no Alan or Bruce or Carl. The decision to make the album mostly by those two guys really hurt.

But Mike comes up with some good things. Strange Things Happen and the title track work well, the covers aren't bad by BB standards, and there are nice moments in LA and Still Surfin. I just think ideology really affects the BBs sometimes -- I mean, MIU is a very Brian-dominated album, but given the circumstances of its creation, people have been dissing it for years. And likewise, because BW wasn't involved with SIP (and was shopping Sweet Insanity around at the time), I think the record got a lousy reputation.

Again, I'm not saying it's some glorious lost gem. But it's by no means unlistenable, which BW has arguably approached a time or two in his solo career.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2014, 09:50:34 PM »

As a fan, I can find more than a few things to enjoy on Summer In Paradise.  And that's all I care about.

I also feel that a little eighties/early nineties cheese is fun to drop on unsuspecting listeners.

The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2014, 10:34:46 PM »

The live version of SIP on MIC is the first time I've really liked anything from that album.  Other stuff on it is ok, but nothing from that album (aside from said live version) is in my library.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2014, 11:28:43 PM »

I have to strongly disagree; I was a DJ in Adult Contemporary radio in the summer of 1992.  We gave Hot Fun in the Summertime considerable airplay and it peaked at 17 on the ACR Billboard chart.  It was, by far, the most commercial track on SIP and a damned fine choice as a single.  Island Fever and Lahaina Aloha were great songs, but in the vein of Still Cruisin' also a great track but, sadly, a failure on the charts (peaking at 93 on the Hot 100).  Still Surfin' might have been a hit in 1976.  Slow Summer Dancin' wouldn't have had a chance.  As for Summer in Paradise, good song but they never quite got the arrangement right on that one until the 1993 live version and by then it was too late.
If you're going to go by the AC chart, though, Still Cruisin' was a big hit there, peaked at #5 or something.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2014, 11:49:26 PM »

As bad as Surfin' is on this album, has anyone else at all heard that they remixed (or were going to remix) Surfin' into "a dance song" in the late 90's/early 00's?  I swear I did not dream this...Mike and Bruce played Reading Municipal Stadium in 2001 I believe and the local radio station, Y-102 (102.5) was promoting the show.  They were playing some Beach Boys songs during the day, including Getcha Back which I hadn't heard on the radio in well over a decade at that point, and the DJ mentioned that they were going to play a "new" Beach Boys' song around 5PM that day and then clarified it and said that it was a dance remix of Surfin'.  My initial reaction was "Please don't" but although I was morbidly curious, I wasn't around a radio around that time and missed it.  I did make it to the show that night though.  Has anyone else heard about this?

I've definitely heard about the idea, but this is the first I've heard of it airing. Did anyone here listen to this radio show?
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2014, 12:17:20 AM »

The EU mix of the song "Summer In Paradise" is probably my favorite Brianless BB track. I never got into "Kokomo", but I really like "Summer In Paradise" - and dislike the live version that several posters here are obviously fond of. That's the way it is, folks!

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2014, 12:43:28 AM »

« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 01:06:46 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2014, 12:58:22 AM »

« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 02:25:33 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2014, 01:44:05 AM »

Couple of passable songs - certainly no worse than Kokomo and Still Cruisin'. Great vocals from Al and Carl. A lot of drek, too.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2014, 03:17:28 AM »

The drums make this album unlistenable. And weak melodies.

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3miDV8HnElk
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 03:19:29 AM by The Legendary OMG! Rob! » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2014, 05:30:43 AM »

Hypehat summed up this album the best!:

Ok, so I have a half a bottle of wine in me and another to go after a steady day of drinking, and listening to Summer In Paradise seems like a fantastic idea right now. It's been so hard to live without it, so lets talk about it.

1) Hot Fun In The Summertime

DEAR JESUS THE SNARE. We will have to get used to this.
Also, "Whisperin'" Mike Love. I like to picture putting HOURS into these leads.
Carl telling me we can "Bum bum bum" is kinda flattering imo.
SAX SOLO. Those breaks make me flinch.
This thing is mixed so fucking terribly Carl's high notes vanish from the mix.
also, WHAT THE HELL IS CARL DOING. I guess given Beckley/Lamm/Wilson, it's safe to say that absolutely every vestige of Carl's taste had disappeared by this point. He might have even thought this was A GOOD IDEA.

2. Surfin'

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
f*** me, the vocals on this are absolutely terrrrrrrrrrible. NASAL DOMINATION. Carl being SHITE. Like, even his smack-addled late 70's performances have merit. This sucks.
Not to mention ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING ELSE ABOUT THIS.
new lyrics. NEW LYRICS
MORE OF THEM.
I'm in pain. There are ten more songs. WHY.

3. SUMMER OF LOVE.

Mike Love, I will come round your house and make my fist meditate up your arse for this.
CHRIST ON A BICYCLE THE DJ SCRATCHES.
My Grandma has better flow than MC "Whisperin" Love.
attached and back don't rhyme, you bald apple juice chuggin goon.

4. Island Fever

These verse appear to be words in the english language. But they make no sense.
The Beach Boys' hymn to sexually transmitted diseases?
"My baby caught it and I'm not quite sure how/she might have got it from her travel brochure?" - Denny lives?
My baby can't dance or sleep because IT BURNS.
KEYCHANGE
f*** synthesisers, btw.

5. Still Surfin'

What the hell is this.
WHAT THE HELL IS THIS.
The fact I've spent a lot of time editing other things during this song speaks volumes.
What the hell makes ANYONE think it's ok to drop mexican terms for women in verses. Mamacita and the like. f*** YOU, MIKE.

6. Slow Summer Dancin' (Unneccesary parentheses)

IN BOTH CORNERS, BRUCE JOHNSTON
DETAILING HOW HE'S GONNA MAKE SWEET, SWEET, SWEET LOVE TO GROUPIES.
Misheard "I'll treat my angel really nice" as "I'll treat my ANUS.....REALLY NICE!"
Al "The Songwriter" Jardine keeping up his fine, fine, tradition of contributing entirely original melodic and lyrical ideas to songs. HOW DO YOU SLEEP AT NIGHT
That sax break. NO.

7. Strange Things Happen.

Ok, this is the worst thing so far.

It's something to do with the combination of SLAMMIN' MIKE LOVE JAMS and Al "Well, that never happened before!" Jardine learning about sex in 1991.

OH MY GOD. This is so so so s oo soooooo awful. I am crying with laughter.

8. Remember (Walking In The Sand)

Carl, I do love you, but when Mary Weiss dies she's going to find you in heaven and BEAT SEVEN SHADES OF CRAP OUT OF YOU FOR THIS.

"Echoing" Mike Love is also particularly ridiculous.

THE SAX SOLOS. AHSHGSHDGFXBGDGXFNJDMKYI6

GUYS I'M LOSING THE WILL TO LIVE. I HATE THIS ALBUM.

9. Lahina Aloha

Tropical beats
meaningless title
SOOOOOLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
palm trees
paradise
"Whisperin" Love

the f*** is this DRIVEL. I FEEL LIKE I'M BEING VIOLATED WITH OFFENSIVE ITEMS CARVED OUT OF JELLY OR SOMETHING. OFFENSIVE SMOOTHNESS. It's some terrible oxymoron i wouldn't believe possible if it wasn't fucking me in my ears.
THE HELL.

THREE MORE TRACKS LEFT, YOU CAN DO IT.

10. Under The Boardwalk

MIke Love, you get the f*** away from my girl.
Carl, I'm sorry, but The Drifters are also going to beat the hell out of you up there too. Possibly Carole King as well. At least they'll be tired after beating mike love to shreds. And you, Al.
ANOTHER SAXOPHONE SOLO. mo'fos.

As an aside, guys, this is one of the most awful albums in terms of production, mixing and mastering I've ever heard. IT IS THIN AS HELL.

11. SUMMER IN PARADISE.

dig that jangly fauxbyrds guitar.
THOSE 'HARMONY' VOCALS ARE CRAP. BRIAN WOULD BEAT YOU DEAD IF HE WAS IN THAT SESSION.
I think these might be EVEN WORSE LYRICS than Strange Things Happen or MC LOVE in something else.
f***, IT'S JIM MCGUINN.
that explains the guitar.
YOU BITCH, MCGUINN.

This is shite. musically, aurally, it's balls. BALLLLLLS. BIG SWEATY, HAIRY, OOZING TESTICLES. I feel ill.

12. Stamorever.

I have no more bile. I just have wine. After the systematic and calculated raping of the entire spectrum of pop music through these twelve tracks, some arsehole covering a Dennis Wilson song pales in comparison. I mean, it even has woodblocks on it, which makes it more reverent of a 'classic' bb's sound than anything on this record yet.

SEE WHAT THIS RECORD HAS DONE TO ME. I AM DEFENDING STAMOS

and with one fucking horrible sounding fake midi chord on the keyboard, that's it. The worst record I ever heard.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2014, 05:45:13 AM »

The drums are pretty terrible throughout the album, except on the EU version of the title track.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2014, 05:50:33 AM »

OK so Smile B likes it. Wink

The 'highlight' being an attempt by a non Beach Boy...hitherto referred to as "some arsehole".

Obviously if you don't have SIP yet...best hurry out and grab a copy.  It may not be too late to ask Santa.

You might also ask for some wine.  Or a least grab a couple of bottles at the store.  It would seem this is the ingredient necessary to make the album 'work'. LOL

Excellent review.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2014, 07:13:16 AM »

I'm gonna go left field and say 'I like' this album.

it sounds way better on vinyl by the way... if you can find a copy

I know it's hated by what seems like 'everyone', but I think it's cool.....

kinda like 'love you', it's out of the ballpark......

RickB
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2014, 07:17:12 AM »

There are some nice moments (I have both releases).  However, at the time it was 'weird' listening to it when I bought it upon it's release.  Mainly because of the lack of songwriting or production credits for Bruce, Alan, or Carl, but plenty of covers. Some great vocals though, nice guitar work on some tracks and yeah, Surfin' was enjoyable for me!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 04:35:18 PM by mikeddonn » Logged
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2014, 07:56:34 AM »

The ONLY great part of this mess (and I mean ONLY)  is the fact that Brian Wilson was not involved in any way, shape or form with this putrid, vomit inducing pile of excrement. It parallels the lovester's lack of taste such as the over abundance of jewelry on his hands, around his neck, the tacky stage costumes, the hats, feathers, sheets, robes, sandals, and other gimmicks, the cornfed, stupid humorless banter  to draw attention to HIM. The album is a success in speaking volumes of what Mike Love is all about which is just plain buffoonery with, unfortunately, the Beach Boys name all over it.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2014, 09:20:51 AM »

RickB

Finally someone making sense.  I have never been able to find a vinyl copy btw...I would love one tho.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2014, 10:02:43 AM »

Not many around.  Maybe they'll reissue it!  Would look cool with that artwork.  Grin
zachrwolfe
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2014, 01:52:52 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 07:58:56 PM by zatch » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2014, 05:21:12 PM »

Summer In Paradise will always be known as "that Beach Boys album that Brian Wilson wasn't on". And that's a shame, because it didn't have to happen that way, and it shouldn't have happened that way. Mike Love and Terry Melcher did their job well with their songwriting. They came up with five good to very good songs - "Lahaina Aloha", "Strange Things Happen", "Summer In Paradise", "Island Fever", and "Still Surfin". You had a nice Bruce Johnston effort and, in my opinion, a more than acceptable cover of "Forever" with one of Carl Wilson's greatest vocals...ever.

The only thing missing was three, four, or five Brian Wilson songs. And, the frustrating part was that he had 'em. It's too bad he was sitting on Sweet Insanity instead of being a Beach Boy. If you take the aforementioned seven songs, and add "Someone To Love", "The Spirit Of Rock And Roll", "Don't Let Her Know She's An Angel", "Make A Wish", and - take your pick - "Save The Day" or "Thank You", both with with different lyrics, you have a strong Beach Boys' album. Brian could no longer produce, so that was out of the question, but adding the fun/spark/rock & roll of his songs and his voice in the mix, Summer In Paradise would've been an entirely different album, assuming they were smart enough to eliminate the other weak tracks ("Summer Of Love", etc.) that did make the album in Brian's absence.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2014, 05:15:53 AM »

RickB

Finally someone making sense.  I have never been able to find a vinyl copy btw...I would love one tho.
Everyone doesn't hate it. 

I never knew it was on vinyl.  I have the gatefold CD (US version.)

And as the Sheriff mentioned "Carl's vocals" and you can never go wrong with that!  Wink
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2014, 05:53:58 AM »

as far as I know, it was only released in Korea on vinyl..........

genuine?.... not sure......mine looks pretty authentic to me.....

and I like it, artwork cover is great too!

RickB
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx