gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 07:00:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SIP Could Have Sold Much Better As Is  (Read 36058 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 22, 2014, 09:48:03 AM »

Going back OT... SIP isn't their shining moment. Few passable bits but those aside... best passed on.

Now Andrew, and I'm not being sarcastic, I think it would be interesting if you discussed SIP and that whole ordeal with Mike. It's a real Beach Boys album spearheaded by Mike, and I can't imagine he could get mad at you for bringing it up. But I think he has a bit to answer for as far as that album goes. I'd love to hear him mount a defense of the indefensible.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: December 22, 2014, 09:52:14 AM »

Yes, it would be really interesting to hear him talk about it in "Good Vibration." Riding high on all those post-Kokomo fumes, total power, no Cousin Brian to compete with, sidelined Al... what went wrong? Why didn't it work? Why isn't it in print? Does he blame himself? Terry Melcher? Protools? The cruel world for not being interested in his ecological concerns carefully woven into his majestic paean to summer itself?

All that positivity and yet it sank without a trace. He sounded so cocky about it on the Howard Stern Show. Would love to hear the Lovester talk about it more instead of brushing it under the carpet. Does he think it was ahead of its time, maybe? Would be interesting to know if he had another idea for it that he wasn't able to execute that would've REALLY pushed it over the top.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 10:01:10 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2014, 10:05:36 AM »

Yes, it would be really interesting to hear him talk about it in "Good Vibration." Riding high on all those post-Kokomo fumes, total power, sidelined Al... what went wrong? Why didn't it work? Why isn't it in print? Does he blame himself? Terry Melcher? Protools? The cruel world for not being interested in his ecological concerns carefully woven into his majestic paean to summer itself?

All that positivity and yet it sank without a trace. Would love to hear the Lovester talk about it more instead of brushing it under the carpet. Does he think it was ahead of its time, maybe?

I recall reading on this board something to the effect that Bruce (I think?) said the production and release of the album was rushed and somewhat unfinished, in order to meet some deadline, either for the record label, or for touring purposes.

So basically, it's an unfinished, in-progress version of an album that got released anyway. And it sounds like it. Even though it's an unpopular opinion, I like some of Melcher's late 80s production sounds, like Somewhere Near Japan, but SIP sounds like a definite step down from there, and maybe it's because it wasn't properly finished. I can't imagine that it's entirely the fault of the brand-new-at-the-time Pro Tools production either. What is up with the drum sound on One Summer Night? Shriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilllllll.

I guess the UK version was an attempt to correct the unfinished-ness of it, though I question if Mike and Terry (presumably the only gatekeepers of quality control on SIP) were actually satisfied with the UK version, happily and contently thinking that this was finally the version they'd intended for release. I also wonder what yutz sold Mike on the idea to remake "Surfin'", to make "Summer of Love" at all, and to put those turds right at the top of the album. Not cool.

The real "Ginger or Maryann" question of the day is: "Summer of Love" or "Smart Girls"?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 10:07:21 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: December 22, 2014, 10:10:23 AM »

The part where Mike goes "it's a love thing" should answer that question.

So, anybody want to make a SIP mix that better fulfills Mike's vision for it? It'll be the new Smile! That slowed down a bit after all. Take your time. Hell, take a decade.

(Whisper... THE SUMMER IN PARADISE SESSIONS... a gorgeous 1 CD boxed set of shrill digital bliss!)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 10:17:28 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: December 22, 2014, 11:22:52 AM »

Going back OT... SIP isn't their shining moment. Few passable bits but those aside... best passed on.

Absolutely not their shiniest moment but definitely not best passed on.  This is coming from a 72-75 period fanatic.

Oh and weren't you supposed to be gone for the week?

Currently I'm hither. From about 10am tomorrow I'll be yon.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: December 22, 2014, 11:28:09 AM »

Yes, it would be really interesting to hear him talk about it in "Good Vibration." Riding high on all those post-Kokomo fumes, total power, sidelined Al... what went wrong? Why didn't it work? Why isn't it in print? Does he blame himself? Terry Melcher? Protools? The cruel world for not being interested in his ecological concerns carefully woven into his majestic paean to summer itself?

All that positivity and yet it sank without a trace. Would love to hear the Lovester talk about it more instead of brushing it under the carpet. Does he think it was ahead of its time, maybe?

I recall reading on this board something to the effect that Bruce (I think?) said the production and release of the album was rushed and somewhat unfinished, in order to meet some deadline, either for the record label, or for touring purposes.

So basically, it's an unfinished, in-progress version of an album that got released anyway. And it sounds like it. Even though it's an unpopular opinion, I like some of Melcher's late 80s production sounds, like Somewhere Near Japan, but SIP sounds like a definite step down from there, and maybe it's because it wasn't properly finished. I can't imagine that it's entirely the fault of the brand-new-at-the-time Pro Tools production either. What is up with the drum sound on One Summer Night? Shriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilllllll.

I guess the UK version was an attempt to correct the unfinished-ness of it, though I question if Mike and Terry (presumably the only gatekeepers of quality control on SIP) were actually satisfied with the UK version, happily and contently thinking that this was finally the version they'd intended for release. I also wonder what yutz sold Mike on the idea to remake "Surfin'", to make "Summer of Love" at all, and to put those turds right at the top of the album. Not cool.

The real "Ginger or Maryann" question of the day is: "Summer of Love" or "Smart Girls"?

I think its being one of the first albums - if not THE first - recorded with Pro-Tools didn't exactly help matters. Time to 'fess up - "Surfin' 92" is one of my guiltiest pleasures.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 22, 2014, 06:03:14 PM »

I think its being one of the first albums - if not THE first - recorded with Pro-Tools didn't exactly help matters. Time to 'fess up - "Surfin' 92" is one of my guiltiest pleasures.

Any interest in getting Mike to comment on the record about Summer In Paradise? Or how about whatever happened to the planned followup titled Masterpiece (no, people, I am not making this up).

I have this odd feeling his book will act like the album didn't exist, except maybe for mentioning they did a song with super cool John Stamos. Otherwise, I expect him to travel from "Kokomo" to reuniting with Cousin Brian on Stars & Stripes pretty quickly.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: December 22, 2014, 09:15:12 PM »

Time to 'fess up - "Surfin' 92" is one of my guiltiest pleasures.

Hard to think of an even guiltier pleasure than that! Cheesy Hm... Yoko Ono screaming in a bag? Smiley

I have this odd feeling his book will act like the album didn't exist, except maybe for mentioning they did a song with super cool John Stamos. Otherwise, I expect him to travel from "Kokomo" to reuniting with Cousin Brian on Stars & Stripes pretty quickly.

Could be, I hope not!

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 22, 2014, 09:52:59 PM »

Cool!!! that mean 'surfin 92' has a total of ....ummm 2 fans.
I loved it soon as I heard it! 
still love it.

RickB
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 23, 2014, 07:07:21 AM »

Cool!!! that mean 'surfin 92' has a total of ....ummm 2 fans.
I loved it soon as I heard it! 
still love it.

RickB

Make it three.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 23, 2014, 10:43:02 AM »

Awe prairie sh*t, make it four. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Beachlad
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 23, 2014, 10:47:39 AM »

It up too five. I just love Ba ba Dip di dips as does my 7 year old.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 23, 2014, 11:00:30 AM »

Your Magnus Opus, SB.  w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t!

Except that it wasn't him, but Hypehat from a few years ago.

What a pity, for once I thought I had read a interesting post by Smile Brian.  Smiley

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 23, 2014, 12:34:05 PM »

Hypehat summed up this album the best!:

Should've been perfectly clear by this^ that Smile Brian was not the originator of that review.

Personally, I think SiP is absolute dreck. And putting Brian tunes on that album wouldn't have helped it at all: The one saving grace that SiP has is that it is cohesive....it all flows perfectly because every song has thin production, relatively zero redeemable songwriting qualities. Put a gem like 'Don't Let Her Know She's An Angel' on there and it would stick out like a sore thumb....people would be left asking "Why didn't they just have Brian write the whole album?"

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: December 23, 2014, 01:47:11 PM »

People, please.  The only thing that would have made this album sell better is if they hadn't recorded it at all.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 23, 2014, 01:52:16 PM »

LOL

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 23, 2014, 02:34:30 PM »

I've always maintained that its a very well sung and produced album , but by Christ some of the material is awful ( not all ) and the drum sound is fucking shite (sorry)   
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 23, 2014, 03:40:41 PM »

I've always maintained that its a very well sung and produced album , but by Christ some of the material is awful ( not all ) and the drum sound is fucking shite (sorry)   
Best assessment that I have read here. Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 23, 2014, 03:50:10 PM »

I've always maintained that its a very well sung... 

One of Carl Wilson's best albums vocally. "Remember (Walkin' In The Sand)", "Under The Boardwalk", "Surfin", "Hot Fun In The Summertime", his part in "Forever", and of course, "Lahaina Aloha". Top notch stuff. I don't see how some can dismiss the album just based on Carl's singing alone. But, everyone is entitled to their opinion...
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 23, 2014, 03:54:42 PM »

I've always maintained that its a very well sung... 

One of Carl Wilson's best albums vocally. "Remember (Walkin' In The Sand)", "Under The Boardwalk", "Surfin", "Hot Fun In The Summertime", his part in "Forever", and of course, "Lahaina Aloha". Top notch stuff. I don't see how some can dismiss the album just based on Carl's singing alone. But, everyone is entitled to their opinion...

I agree.
I don't know if there's another album (certainly not many) in the history of rock, where a musician of quite Carl's vocal caliber at this point in time (he got better with age, in my opinion) was singing on material so weak by comparison. It's a bizarre dichotomy.
That said, I still like 4-5 songs from the album, mainly due to the vocals.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 23, 2014, 03:56:22 PM »

I rarely hear anyone talk about "Slow Summer Dancin' (One Summer Night)", but aside from the awful sounding snare (and it is AWFUL), I otherwise really like this song, cheesy as it is. Some really nice chord changes, I dig the reverb/echo effects as they are applied, and the vocals are swell. Top tier song (of the very few that would qualify as such) for this album. I wish we had more BB songs penned by Bruce.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 04:09:17 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 23, 2014, 10:40:53 PM »

"Masterpiece" was the album that was supposed to followup SIP - where the title track on SIP delved into ecological concerns, etc, " Masterpiece" was supposed to explore those ideas in more depth. I'm sure Mike thought SIP would sail straight to #1 all over the world - "well, if one Kokomo can sell millions, then 12 Kokomo's has gotta be even better!" Cause apparently that's what Mike learned from his cousin - take a great idea and beat it to death.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 24, 2014, 10:37:22 PM »

Why is everyone missing the "*Hypehat summed it up best: ... " part ??
Tell me about it. So some of you find this garbage funny? It's a pile of drivel, with the use of profanity of a school kid level. No album deserves such review, it's very unprofessional, it isn't right at all. You should stay stable, w/out descending to the cheap style. Everyone who understands it will agree w/ me.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #98 on: December 25, 2014, 11:29:26 AM »

Why is everyone missing the "*Hypehat summed it up best: ... " part ??
Tell me about it. So some of you find this garbage funny? It's a pile of drivel, with the use of profanity of a school kid level. No album deserves such review, it's very unprofessional, it isn't right at all. You should stay stable, w/out descending to the cheap style. Everyone who understands it will agree w/ me.

Okay, I've been dutifully shamed over thinking this was funny...head hanging low and having a blue, blue Christmas.  But can I still like Mark Twain's review of James Fenimore Cooper's work more than I like Cooper's work?  http://twain.lib.virginia.edu/projects/rissetto/offense.html
I mean, they've both been dead for a long, long time.  I confess, Mark Twain swore a lot, too - and his wife used to hijack his correspondence and edit it to remove those offensive words.  I guess I'm incorrigible, as I wish I could read the originals.  He dared to tell the truth during an ugly period of American history, and he got away with it through wit.  May I still have this, at least?  As I said, I haven't heard SIP.  I gave up when I heard disco "Here Comes the Night," so I may have missed some real gems. 
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 25, 2014, 11:41:06 AM »

As I said, I haven't heard SIP. . 

My gift to you! LOL
Merry Christmas Debbie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDnY5nlt-cg
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to: