gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 01:08:19 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SIP Could Have Sold Much Better As Is  (Read 36050 times)
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: January 11, 2015, 12:59:58 AM »

I've decided...after really thinking about it since this thread began.  Summer In Paradise could have sold TONS better IF it has dropped all of the songs hitherto employed and had instead issued something completely different, timely, meaningful and worthwhile.  Cool Guy

Sorry...but there just isn't enough input from ALL of the Beach Boys...and way too much from guests and those who really aren't composers or arrangers.  It's almost a solo albun.  WRONG move.  Shocked

Great album cover though.  Cool

Everyone always says that. Am I the only one who thinks the album cover is tacky as hell and generic?

As for the topic at hand...no. You can't polish a turd. And the beach boys weren't cool enough to move records at the time, especially without Brian.
This album was 4 years too late. If it had come out right after "Kokomo", it would have moved a few copies just on residual interest. The "Kokomo" sound was already dated by 1992. But maybe Mike had never heard "Smells Like Teen Spirit".
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 11, 2015, 03:51:27 AM »

For some reason I'd love to hear what Masterpiece would've been like. Do we know if any initial recordings exist? I'm wondering if the album would've contained any song(s) about cutlery.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: January 11, 2015, 04:04:04 AM »

For some reason I'd love to hear what Masterpiece would've been like. Do we know if any initial recordings exist? I'm wondering if the album would've contained any song(s) about cutlery.

I didn't even know such an album (almost) existed until coming across a reference on this board just the other day. Where could one find more information on this? Was it abandoned when SIP flopped or for other reasons?

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: January 11, 2015, 04:10:54 AM »

I believe you can blame Dean Torrence for that logo, going back to the '15 big ones' period artwork....

I actually like the logo myself.  may even get it tattooe'd!

RickB

See, it makes sense on that cover because of the throwback tunes and celebration of the band's 15-year history. That neon sign look fits that oldies vibe. But making it the band's official logo just makes them seem eternally dated, imho. It's not timeless like other famous bands' iconography.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
[
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: January 11, 2015, 05:53:59 AM »

YA but...Ya but...Ya but...The album cover AND logo are both better than and superior to...the contents contained there-in.  The logo may well be dated...but at least IT once had its day.  The music here?  Not so much.

That other thread?  The one where we all shuddered to think what the 2017 album would be?  SIP is darned close to 'it'.  [minus Carl]  It wouldn't be any more advanced I'm afraid.  Just kind of stuck in neutral...remembering the good old days which actually never happened THIS way.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And ALL that said...I am a listener...not a collector.  Am I glad I own the album and got a chance to hear its contents?  Absolutely...100%.  If I knew it existed and was hidden away in 'the vaults' would I want it?  You betcha.  So as BAD as the contents are...it's BAD compared to a whole mess of other recordings by THE BEACH BOYS.  Compared to other groups?  [and compared to at least 40% of what POSES as a top 40 hit in THIS day and age... ... ...it ain't THAT bad.  There's 'musicality' there.  [except on 'Forever' which was just a terrible choice, idea, and route to travel.]  It just kind of reminds me of the cover albums the Ray Conniff Singers used to put out in the early/mid 70s.  Close but NO cigar.

It's M.O.R. 'filler' and not worthy of The Beach Boys.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 06:24:45 AM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 11, 2015, 08:15:19 AM »

I believe you can blame Dean Torrence for that logo, going back to the '15 big ones' period artwork....

I actually like the logo myself.  may even get it tattooe'd!

RickB

See, it makes sense on that cover because of the throwback tunes and celebration of the band's 15-year history. That neon sign look fits that oldies vibe. But making it the band's official logo just makes them seem eternally dated, imho. It's not timeless like other famous bands' iconography.

I was so bummed out when MiC was released and saw that they were still using that godforsaken logo/typeface. Here we just had the Smile Sessions box come out, we're finally getting the release of vaulted rarities, The Beach Boys are gaining traction as being not just 'Sun and Surf' band but a tour-de-force in intellectual classic pop music....and they stuck them with that dated malt-shop neon sign logo again.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 12, 2015, 12:32:15 PM »

I didn't even know such an album (almost) existed until coming across a reference on this board just the other day. Where could one find more information on this? Was it abandoned when SIP flopped or for other reasons?
Mike talked about it back in '93 - he said it would follow on the title track of SIP, with songs about the environment, kind of a latter day "Surf's Up". I have no idea if it ever got past the talking phase, but imagine that musically, it would've sounded like SIP Vol. 2.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 19, 2015, 07:54:59 AM »

See Mike?  Some of us appreciate you.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 19, 2015, 07:56:43 AM »

Mike talked about it back in '93 - he said it would follow on the title track of SIP, with songs about the environment, kind of a latter day "Surf's Up". I have no idea if it ever got past the talking phase, but imagine that musically, it would've sounded like SIP Vol. 2.

Wait, "Surf's Up" is "about the environment"? Are you saying this or did Mike?  Huh Huh Huh

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 19, 2015, 01:07:14 PM »

Wait, "Surf's Up" is "about the environment"? Are you saying this or did Mike?  Huh Huh Huh
Not the song "Surf's Up", but the album. You know, the one that starts off with "Don't Go Near the Water", and also includes such topical songs as "Lookin' at Tomorrow", "Take A Load Off Your Feet" and "Student Demonstration Time". Maybe he would have given us SDT set to a drum machine with pseudo tropical sounds.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: January 19, 2015, 09:03:14 PM »

See Mike?  Some of us appreciate you.

I think we all do. I call him out for the things he's done that I think weren't commendable, but I do the same to Brian as well.

Brian, Mike, whoever else...we love you guys. We wouldn't be here otherwise. Now that it's confirmed you both see this stuff, I feel the need to say it. I hope that's clear. We understand you're human and since this is a discussion forum, your faults and least proudest moments are gonna come up. But it's nothing personal.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 19, 2015, 11:09:09 PM »

I'm wondering if the album would've contained any song(s) about cutlery.
That joke is already a fad, it was boring from the start when I saw the vid. Anyway, to answer job, I think w/ right songs it yes, would've sold better. And we don't even have to include Brian songs. That said, the album as is is good enough for the early 90s. Most everyone hung in the middle of 'creativity crisis' (self-made term, take or leave) and BBs jus' followed their steps. Not a big deal.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 19, 2015, 11:10:04 PM »

I'm wondering if the album would've contained any song(s) about cutlery.
That joke is already a fad, it was boring from the start when I saw the vid.

There is nothing boring about cutlery

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 20, 2015, 06:00:36 AM »

Alright:

Don't go near the table
Have you lost your fork?
Don't go near the table, yeah
The fork will wound your hand...

So, still nothing boring about cutlery?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx