gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 08:44:12 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SIP Could Have Sold Much Better As Is  (Read 36036 times)
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 06, 2015, 07:21:44 AM »

it may be Korean, but its still better than the 92' Cd version for sure on the ears...

RickB
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 06, 2015, 09:58:10 AM »

A lot of us would love to have it to complete the set of Beach Boys vinyl! Grin
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 06, 2015, 03:37:44 PM »

I really doubt it sounds better than the CD.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: January 07, 2015, 11:56:44 AM »

Still I'd like to have that rather than the CD!

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 07, 2015, 01:00:05 PM »

If it was mastered differently, specifically for vinyl, it's entirely possible that it is an improvement. Maybe slightly, but I would think it could sound better. I wonder how many copies of vinyl were made and still exist.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 07, 2015, 01:10:04 PM »

If it was mastered differently, specifically for vinyl, it's entirely possible that it is an improvement. Maybe slightly, but I would think it could sound better. I wonder how many copies of vinyl were made and still exist.

Albums are almost never mastered differently for vinyl than CD barring some specific processing in the way of filters etc. that have to be applied because otherwise the vinyl would be unplayable. 99 times out of 100, if a CD master is limited/compressed into Hades, the vinyl master will be, too. The people behind these things just don't give enough of a f*** and often, if they do, it's in the name of $$$$$$ (i.e. "specifically remastered for vinyl! It also costs 40 dollars! Why couldn't we do this right the first time? Because f*** you, that's why!). Vinyl is not an accurate way of presenting the sounds that were recorded.

Anyway, I don't think SIP was THAT loud, was it? I remember opening a waveform from a song from the album once, God knows why, and saying, "Huh, this is pretty loud for 1992," but only in a relatively-loud-for-a-Beach-Boys-record sort of way, not "COOL IT'S AS LOUD AS THE LAST SLIPKNOT ALBUM" sort of way.

... not that it doesn't sound like total dicks to the bricks anyway, but y'know.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 03:21:46 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 07, 2015, 03:06:14 PM »

Yeah, it's not THAT loud.  Also, yes it is missing SOME depth, but the low-end comes thru pretty damn well in my BMW.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #132 on: January 07, 2015, 03:25:59 PM »

Vinyl is not an accurate way of presenting the sounds that were recorded.

That's why it's perfect playback format for SIP. All the little flaws and inaccurate reproductions of sound via a vinyl LP lend a humanity and earthiness to the otherwise lifeless sterility as recorded. With Summer In Paradise you don't really want accurate reproduction.... 

« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 03:27:44 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 07, 2015, 03:27:37 PM »

You don't really want accurate reproduction. 

You probably could have left out the word "accurate" and most people would agree with you.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 07, 2015, 04:06:25 PM »

You don't really want accurate reproduction. 

You probably could have left out the word "accurate" and most people would agree with you.

LOL
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 07, 2015, 04:26:15 PM »

What do you all think would happen first? SIP being reissued (at any point in the future, in an official capacity) on vinyl, or the extended shave-your-legs version of Hey Little Tomboy seeing official release?
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 08, 2015, 12:51:21 PM »

I'll take both gladly.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: January 09, 2015, 05:17:49 AM »

What do you all think would happen first? SIP being reissued (at any point in the future, in an official capacity) on vinyl, or the extended shave-your-legs version of Hey Little Tomboy seeing official release?

10$ on SIP being reissued on vinyl with Hey Little Tomboy as bonus track. Grin

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 09, 2015, 02:02:41 PM »

1990s rap version of Hey Little Tomboy (featuring John Stamos). Listening
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 09, 2015, 02:47:00 PM »

Yes. With Masterpiece (FINALLY) being issues as disc 2, all as part of a Summer In Paradise deluxe edition.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 10, 2015, 03:04:44 PM »

singing to one of those Full House girls?
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 10, 2015, 03:13:12 PM »

singing to one of those Full House girls?

None of the girls on that show were tomboys. GOD, do you even WATCH Full House?  Roll Eyes

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: January 10, 2015, 03:27:33 PM »

I've decided...after really thinking about it since this thread began.  Summer In Paradise could have sold TONS better IF it has dropped all of the songs hitherto employed and had instead issued something completely different, timely, meaningful and worthwhile.  Cool Guy

Sorry...but there just isn't enough input from ALL of the Beach Boys...and way too much from guests and those who really aren't composers or arrangers.  It's almost a solo albun.  WRONG move.  Shocked

Great album cover though.  Cool

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: January 10, 2015, 03:39:05 PM »

I've decided...after really thinking about it since this thread began.  Summer In Paradise could have sold TONS better IF it has dropped all of the songs hitherto employed and had instead issued something completely different, timely, meaningful and worthwhile.  Cool Guy

Sorry...but there just isn't enough input from ALL of the Beach Boys...and way too much from guests and those who really aren't composers or arrangers.  It's almost a solo albun.  WRONG move.  Shocked

Great album cover though.  Cool

Everyone always says that. Am I the only one who thinks the album cover is tacky as hell and generic?

As for the topic at hand...no. You can't polish a turd. And the beach boys weren't cool enough to move records at the time, especially without Brian.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 10, 2015, 04:30:20 PM »

Summer In Paradise could have sold TONS better IF it has dropped all of the songs hitherto employed and had instead issued something completely different, timely, meaningful and worthwhile.  Cool Guy

Yes.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: January 10, 2015, 05:16:33 PM »

Mujan...I was trying to find a positive in amongst the rubble.  Turd polishing is rather a waste of time.  As is spray painting them.  And THAT is what we've pretty much done in this thread. .. ... ...Spray paint turds. LOL

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 10, 2015, 09:15:10 PM »

Sure, it would have been WAY better with Brian -- but he really wasn't in a great place either.  I forget all the timing of this... but I picture Brian in the early 90s as hopped up on Landy-pills or something.  Too thin, wearing a sweat band, and wearing leg warmers.

Just wrong.  But yes... it would have been a zillion times better.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 09:28:11 PM by Bean Bag » Logged

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 10, 2015, 09:27:56 PM »

Great album cover though.  Cool

Everyone always says that. Am I the only one who thinks the album cover is tacky as hell and generic?

No, I'm with you on that Mujan.  While it is impressive artwork that catches the eye with its depth and detail -- it's wandered awfully close to kitsch-ville.  It only needs a rainbow... and there'd be world peace.

I desperately want to see what's going on above sea level.  Look at the island.  But we're submerged, forced below.

Mike, surrounded by models in bikinis, would have been better.  That's basically what this album is about.  The visual attempt of "depth" is ironic and a detriment.  
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 09:29:21 PM by Bean Bag » Logged

Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: January 10, 2015, 11:21:52 PM »

Great album cover though.  Cool

No, I'm with you on that Mujan.  While it is impressive artwork that catches the eye with its depth and detail -- it's wandered awfully close to kitsch-ville.  It only needs a rainbow... and there'd be world peace.

I desperately want to see what's going on above sea level.  Look at the island.  But we're submerged, forced below.

Mike, surrounded by models in bikinis, would have been better.  That's basically what this album is about.  The visual attempt of "depth" is ironic and a detriment.  

Thank you. Yes, it looks like the cover of some reading rainbow or eye-witness science video about the ocean. And that awful Beach Boys font would make anything look kitschy and dated. Who designed that, and why has it become the standard ever since?

I agree--Mike Love, with a ring or two on each finger and an outrageously younger woman on each arm would have been a far more accurate cover for this atrocity. It's basically his solo album anyway...

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 11, 2015, 12:12:08 AM »

I believe you can blame Dean Torrence for that logo, going back to the '15 big ones' period artwork....

I actually like the logo myself.  may even get it tattooe'd!

RickB
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx