gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 05:19:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ever given another BB album the SMiLE treatment?  (Read 3066 times)
jakeg1235
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 17, 2014, 05:42:28 PM »

After hearing so many awesome takes on SMiLE in these forums, I've been wondering if anyone has ever done similar things with other BB albums or songs(ie mixing parts and overlaying different songs, creating one continuous piece of music, etc.)? Would love to hear!

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 08:28:13 PM »

One time I inserted an isolated "Truck Drivin' Man" clip into its proper spot in Cabinessence so it was much more prominent in the mix. It sounded totally tubular.

Another time I copied the "Oh baby turn up the radio - the DJ just said he's playing our favorite song - talk to me" section in the Spring song "Good Time" and pasted it into its "proper" spot in the Beach Boys' version of "Good Time". It was perfectly seamless and sounded like it was part of the song. It was bitchin', man.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 09:25:04 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 09:02:47 PM »

After hearing so many awesome takes on SMiLE in these forums, I've been wondering if anyone has ever done similar things with other BB albums or songs(ie mixing parts and overlaying different songs, creating one continuous piece of music, etc.)? Would love to hear!

I posted two, hour long edits of Beach Boys songs, done in a Smile fanmix/Beatles Love style. I think they turned out pretty groovy, and people dug them, dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPyPqrzujJI

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzjXNA0cEgA

ash
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 01:12:46 AM »

I cut my vinyl copy of Summer In Paradise into 30 second snippets, shuffled the pieces around a bit and then tried to set fire to them and then put them in the bin. Can't get more Smile than that.
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 03:35:28 AM »

I cut my vinyl copy of Summer In Paradise into 30 second snippets, shuffled the pieces around a bit and then tried to set fire to them and then put them in the bin. Can't get more Smile than that.

I haven't gone as far as that, but I am waiting until 2037 till I listen to it for the first time.

Please delete my account
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 04:43:04 AM »

I'm trying to make a version of Smile and Smiley Smile.  I call it Smile(y).  It looks like this.

(a)
Our Prayer (GV box)
Little Pad
Do You Like Worms?  (GV box)
Wonderful (GV box)
Fall Breaks and Back to Winter
Wind Chimes (SS)

(b)
Surf’s Up (part one instrumental)
Mrs O’Leary’s Cow
Surf’s Up (1966 demo)
Whistle In
She’s Going Bald
Wonderful (SS)

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 06:55:35 AM »

I have never done that, but it gives me an idea! Shut Down Vol. 2! Now that we have some acapellas, takes and using some audio channel isolation we can make an interesting mix ala SMILE. Smiley
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 08:00:54 PM »

LMFAO
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 08:52:21 PM »

The intro to Do It Again from the C50. The Foskett introductions. A separate track of it's own, building to a crescendo when Brian is introduced. I always wished Carl and Dennis were part of the introductions. Only way you could do it though is to have Jeff re-record it to include Carl and Dennis. Is that kinda weird or would it be neat? OK, maybe not, but I'm sure a few of you have thought of it before!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
rasmus skotte
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 02:36:55 AM »

10 years ago I gave the BB mini-album Mt. Vernon & Fairway - Fairytale the full SMiLE treatment - mixing its storyline within a SMiLE framework (and the SMiLE tracks available right before BW presents SMiLE) for our SMiLE-movie: "Dumb Angel Fairy Tale".

Comics/cartooniés
(Fun Fun FUNniés)/Graphic NOVELties
Manga/animé
Bande dessinée
Tegneserié
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 11:59:02 PM »

The intro to Do It Again from the C50. The Foskett introductions. A separate track of it's own, building to a crescendo when Brian is introduced. I always wished Carl and Dennis were part of the introductions. Only way you could do it though is to have Jeff re-record it to include Carl and Dennis. Is that kinda weird or would it be neat? OK, maybe not, but I'm sure a few of you have thought of it before!

I completely agree Mikie. It felt a bit strange not having two of The Beach Boys not being introduced, but I think I made up for it by making sure each member would their own moment(s) to show who they are, and why they are all amazing.

I still get a little emotional hearing that intro. C50 was incredible.

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2014, 09:54:11 PM »

How about mixing 'I Wanna Pick You Up' with the end of 'All I Want to Do'. 

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 01:59:44 AM »

I think 'I Wanna Pick You Up' is about a father who discovers that his kids aren't babies anymore, so personally I think that would be kind of gross. angel

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2014, 04:10:12 PM »

I think 'I Wanna Pick You Up' is about a father who discovers that his kids aren't babies anymore, so personally I think that would be kind of gross. angel

Well, maybe this would be the Manson mix album. Finding songs that individually are innocent enough, but together, it is so wrong.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx