gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:20:10 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Smile as a Christmas album  (Read 3973 times)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« on: December 17, 2014, 04:23:31 PM »

I think the 33 1/3 book draws parallels between the BBs Xmas album and Smile and it made me try to visualise the bb's magnum opus as a psychedelic riposte to Spector's A Christmas Gift For You.

Listening in the car today it was easy to reimagine it as a Xmas album with all the bells and whistles, toy sounds, angelic harmonies etc. Replace the Heroes and Villains refrain with 'Christmas is coming' or something similarly festive and you're all set up.

If the coda to Cabinessence isn't the most perfect snowfall theme, I don't know what is. Anyone else ever imagine smile this way? After all, the project did seem to peak in that most festive of months - December - and was sure to sell a million units shortly thereafter ...

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 04:56:24 PM »

I like this topic.

I do save it for every Xmas, honestly.  Grin

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 11:45:33 PM »

For me personally, actually Smile Smile has a very christmasey feel. Its vibe (not including H&V and GV) evokes in me the image of sitting in a warm room looking through the window watching falling snow outside. But that's only me, I'm sure! Cheesy

The one SMiLE piece that did invoke a christmasey image in me is Holidays before I knew it's really about Hawaii. I misinterpreted "Holidays" as "Christmas Holidays" and imagined children getting out of bed on Christmas morning starting to play with their new toys.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 11:54:00 PM »

I bought about 10 copies of BWPS to give to a bunch of people I knew for Christmas 10 uears ago.  Close enough?  Wink

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 07:02:58 AM »

Wow... yes!  I actually do.

I think I got the Good Vibes Box and/or my first SMiLE tape (or both) around the holidays.  There's also a special excitement about SMiLE-music that pairs well with the feeling of heading into the autumn/winter/Christmas season.

I have a lot of memories of listening to this music driving around on snowy streets and Christmas lights, etc.  Very wintery.  Every now and then I'll be playing something like Barnyard and it takes me back to hearing this for the first time during some long ago Christmas.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 07:05:32 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 09:46:11 AM »

Wow... yes!  I actually do.

I think I got the Good Vibes Box and/or my first SMiLE tape (or both) around the holidays.  There's also a special excitement about SMiLE-music that pairs well with the feeling of heading into the autumn/winter/Christmas season.

I have a lot of memories of listening to this music driving around on snowy streets and Christmas lights, etc.  Very wintery.  Every now and then I'll be playing something like Barnyard and it takes me back to hearing this for the first time during some long ago Christmas.

Great stuff Bean Bag. It never really occurred to me until recently, but now playing it as I drive around with all the xmas lights on the houses, and the kids' excitement surrounding xmas, the music sounds so festive. It's a perfect fit.

I like this topic.

I do save it for every Xmas, honestly.  Grin

What a great idea! I might even consider doing this myself. I do tend to overplay Smile throughout the year so can see the benefits of storing it up until December ...

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 10:10:09 AM »

I have a fear of overplaying my favourites, so I usually put them off for about half a year or so. Last time I tried it with Smile it hit me almost as hard as the first time I heard it.  Cheesy

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 10:52:57 AM »

I have a fear of overplaying my favourites, so I usually put them off for about half a year or so. Last time I tried it with Smile it hit me almost as hard as the first time I heard it.  Cheesy

I love it when that happens. There's something about smile that it has that capacity to still sound fresh and surprising after infinite plays.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 11:45:04 AM »

About to play my smile LP to try this out! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 01:10:31 PM »

I bought about 10 copies of BWPS to give to a bunch of people I knew for Christmas 10 years ago.  Close enough?  Wink
That would be my choice-----not TSS. BWPS has a Christmassy warmth to it that TSS lacks. In my opinion.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 06:06:18 PM »

I've always thought that 'Look!' sounded like Christmas music.
Willy Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga Hagga Hooga

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2014, 01:43:33 AM »

I've always thought that 'Look!' sounded like Christmas music.

Me too. And I would chuck in 'Our Prayer', 'Holidays' and 'You're Welcome'.

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said, "Banana!"
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2014, 02:18:32 AM »

"Our Prayer" does seem to have a Thanksgiving/Christmas feeling, and I've always imagined kids running downstairs and excitedly opening presents whenever I've heard "Look".

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2014, 04:54:17 AM »

SMiLE would have been more Christmasey if they had kept the original title "Dumb Angel". The track "Our Prayer" fits that album title 100 times more than "SMiLE"

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2014, 05:20:01 AM »

1. Our Carol
2. Naughty or Nice
3. Do You Like Candy Canes?
5. Old Master Santa/You Are My Christmas
6. Figgy Pudding Essence
7. Wonder Snow
8. Child of the Winter Wonderland
9. Carols for Children
10. Lights Up (xmas lights)
11. Festa-table
12. Santa's Workshop
13. Holiday
14. Bell Chimes
15. Mrs Santas Reindeer
16. I Love the Baby Jesus the Best, You Hear Me?!
17. Good Christmas Stations

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2014, 02:44:31 PM »

1. Our Carol
2. Naughty or Nice
3. Do You Like Candy Canes?
5. Old Master Santa/You Are My Christmas
6. Figgy Pudding Essence
7. Wonder Snow
8. Child of the Winter Wonderland
9. Carols for Children
10. Lights Up (xmas lights)
11. Festa-table
12. Santa's Workshop
13. Holiday
14. Bell Chimes
15. Mrs Santas Reindeer
16. I Love the Baby Jesus the Best, You Hear Me?!
17. Good Christmas Stations

Fantastic! Have also been hearing elves in the Workshop!

puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2014, 09:00:42 PM »

A lot of Spector's productions have a Christmas feel to them. Christmas is very spiritual in concept, so you can derive some hymnlike coloring from its 'style'. No doubt that, that specific feeling is what BDW identifies with in the Spector Sound, and why he puts the Christmas Album on such a high pedestal (it's a good album but Spector outdid it many times in singles).

Think about the E-E7-Emaj7 vamp in the chorus of Be My Baby that's fascinated BDW for so long. Notice how little quirks like that reappear sometimes in Christmas music, namely in Chestnuts Roasting (the verse "here comes Santa Claus, right down Santa Claus lane...") which BDW unsurprisingly interpolates in Child of Winter.

Very little has been written about the relationship between Christmas-feeling music, Wall of Sound, doo-wop, Christian hymns, etc., and I wish there was a book about it.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2014, 09:09:07 PM »

Replace the Heroes and Villains refrain with 'Christmas is coming' or something similarly festive and you're all set up.

why would you even put this thought into other people's heads

have you been snorting blocks

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx