gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680781 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 08:10:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who Still Has This Craig Car Stereo Ad?  (Read 2738 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 16, 2014, 01:26:43 PM »

The Beach Boys Craig Car Stereo Ad.  I still have mine from 1977 - I think it's in an issue of Rolling Stone or Billboard or other magazine from that era.  If I remember right, there was a poster made of it too. 8-track, anyone?

Can you associate the individual cars with their owners?

http://hooniverse.com/2014/12/16/rock-and-radio-the-classic-craig-ads-of-the-1970s/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+hooniverse%2FRrVl+%28Hooniverse%29
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 02:00:50 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 01:40:17 PM »

There was a larger poster displayed in retail audio outlets. I remember walking into a store called Stereo Discounters in Harrisburg, PA - I guess it was 1977, maybe 1978 - and they had a huge poster of the ad on the wall. I wanted it so bad. I asked the store manager if I could have it when they took it down; he told me that somebody already claimed it. Angry
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 01:44:22 PM »

Great Ads, love that 70s style.

Carl - the yellow one

Al - the ute

Mike - the grey one

Denny - the black one similar to Carl's

Brian - the black jag/damlier

Photo small on phone browser
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 01:57:46 PM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 01:53:42 PM »

Nice try, Alan!  Anyone else with the correct answer to which Beach Boy belonged to which car?  Stebbins knows already so he's disqualified.  Tongue
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 01:56:47 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 01:57:45 PM »

The Beach Boys Craig Car Stereo Ad.  I still have mine from 1977 - I think it's in an issue of Rolling Stone or Billboard or other magazine from that era.

Yes, from Playboy magazine.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 02:06:37 PM »

The Beach Boys Craig Car Stereo Ad.  I still have mine from 1977 - I think it's in an issue of Rolling Stone or Billboard or other magazine from that era.

Yes, from Playboy magazine.
Ah, the truth comes out!  Shocked Rolling Stone or Billboard, huh?  Any other memories about the mag (the articles were well written)  LOL

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 03:01:04 PM »

The Beach Boys Craig Car Stereo Ad.  I still have mine from 1977 - I think it's in an issue of Rolling Stone or Billboard or other magazine from that era.  If I remember right, there was a poster made of it too. 8-track, anyone?

Can you associate the individual cars with their owners?

http://hooniverse.com/2014/12/16/rock-and-radio-the-classic-craig-ads-of-the-1970s/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+hooniverse%2FRrVl+%28Hooniverse%29

There was a larger poster displayed in retail audio outlets. I remember walking into a store called Stereo Discounters in Harrisburg, PA - I guess it was 1977, maybe 1978 - and they had a huge poster of the ad on the wall. I wanted it so bad. I asked the store manager if I could have it when they took it down; he told me that somebody already claimed it. Angry

I've got the poster.     I'm happy to show it, if I can just figure out where I put it...

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 03:08:57 PM »

Nah, don't bother, Bgas. We know what it looks like.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 03:29:39 PM »

I believe these are the cars:

1948 MGTC - Mike
1935 Ford Model 48 convertible - Dennis
Cadillac Sedan deVille Limo - Brian
Bentley Continental S2 - Al
Chevy C/K truck  - Carl

Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 05:21:18 PM »

I thought Al owned the truck and Carl owned the Bentley
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 06:03:30 PM »

I've got the magazine sized ad in my box of BB goodies in the attic next to the BB kite and Frisbee.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 08:32:29 PM »

Carl owned the Bentley. He even taught Carnie to drive it.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 09:12:42 PM »

Well, I tells ya this. It makes a lot of sense if Al owned the truck, navigating the back roads down the coast of Highway 1 and carrying bails of hay for his animals around the Jardine Ranch in Big Sur. But.....I read an article once about Carl being at the Caribou Ranch and then spotted in Coldwater Canyon in L.A., both times driving a truck. So I put two and two together. Carl owned a 1964 Grand Prix in the early 60's (Shut Down 2 cover that was broadsided at an intersection in Hawthorne). After that he had an Aston Martin DB5 and a green Bentley in the mid-1960's. It's possible that's the same dark green Bentley in the Craig Stereo picture. The white Bentley seen with Carl behind the wheel in the movie "American Band" was actually owned by his wife, Annie.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx