gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:26:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ringo Starr on Mike's Rock'n'Roll Hall Of Fame speech  (Read 25946 times)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2014, 08:07:35 PM »

I think the best known drummer in the history of Rock 'n' Roll/Rock...should be in the Hall.  I mean why not?  He's Ringo freakin' Starr.  And as much as I agree that Deep Purple deserves to be there...NO QUESTION... ... ...

The whole thing about letting Ringo in solo in my mind at least, goes like this.

1. Does his output, as a solo artist, garner him a position in the hall of fame?  - Not really

2. Is he inducted as part of the group, and does the group deserve a position in the hall of fame? - Absolutely

3. Is his work, WITHIN the group, notorious and valuable enough to garner him a position as an individual in the hall of fame? - Absolutely

I don't think you should necessarily exclude the work he did, AS a Beatle when you decide this stuff.  If John Lennon was only a member of the Beatles, then retired, then was murdered... I think he should be honored as the band, but then also as an individual for the work he did as lead in the band.  Just my opinion.  Similar situation with Ringo, he's fucking RINGO!  He's awesome.  Maybe his solo work hasn't been so ground shaking that on it's own it gets him a spot, but certainly if you look at his career as a Rock drummer, he absolutely deserves to be in as an individual. 

elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2014, 08:30:12 PM »

Meat Loaf isn't in despite having the 3rd best selling album of all time in the UK, one of the top 5 selling rock albums worldwide and another number one in the nineties with Anything For Love and one of the best selling rock albums the Nineties in Bat 2 (18 million or something like that). He has said himself that its due to the higher ups of the RARHOF not liking him personally. Screw 'em.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2014, 08:35:57 PM »

Pretty cold thing to say..

By the way, Ringo does not deserve to be in the HOF as a solo artist.

Why not? 

I don't think much of his solo career.

At the very least Deep Purple should be in before Ringo Starr

I think the best known drummer in the history of Rock 'n' Roll/Rock...should be in the Hall.  I mean why not?  He's Ringo freakin' Starr.  And as much as I agree that Deep Purple deserves to be there...NO QUESTION... ... ...

The whole thing about letting Ringo in solo in my mind at least, goes like this.

1. Does his output, as a solo artist, garner him a position in the hall of fame?  - Not really

2. Is he inducted as part of the group, and does the group deserve a position in the hall of fame? - Absolutely

3. Is his work, WITHIN the group, notorious and valuable enough to garner him a position as an individual in the hall of fame? - Absolutely

I don't think you should necessarily exclude the work he did, AS a Beatle when you decide this stuff.  If John Lennon was only a member of the Beatles, then retired, then was murdered... I think he should be honored as the band, but then also as an individual for the work he did as lead in the band.  Just my opinion.  Similar situation with Ringo, he's fucking RINGO!  He's awesome.  Maybe his solo work hasn't been so ground shaking that on it's own it gets him a spot, but certainly if you look at his career as a Rock drummer, he absolutely deserves to be in as an individual. 

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is not to be taken seriously. :\

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2014, 08:36:17 PM »

Ron, I dislike your moustache.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2014, 10:13:54 PM »

Meat Loaf isn't in despite having the 3rd best selling album of all time in the UK, one of the top 5 selling rock albums worldwide and another number one in the nineties with Anything For Love and one of the best selling rock albums the Nineties in Bat 2 (18 million or something like that). He has said himself that its due to the higher ups of the RARHOF not liking him personally. Screw 'em.

Meatlof got screwed, also Neil Sedaka isn't in (WHAT THE f***) and also Chubby Checkers apparently isn't worthy of the Rock & Roll hall of fame, although anybody over 4 years old can sing the Twist 60 years later. 

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2014, 07:39:14 AM »

I was really surprised when I realized Nick Lowe has never been inducted.  He's like a superstar to the folk/indie rock crowd.  And he produced some of Elvis Costello's biggest hits (and wrote one of them too).

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2014, 10:59:08 AM »

That's probably also a reason Jan&Dean aren't inducted. I mean they had hits like sand on the beach (no pun).
And Jan Berry should be inducted as a producer too. Even before Brian imo, because Jan had quite some hits with outside acts that he produced. IIRC Brian didn't, which is unfortunate because he did some real good stuff outside the Beach Boys.
But as others have already said, the HOF is a joke.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 11:02:22 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Bill30022
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2014, 12:59:49 PM »

Chicago's absence is the biggest oversight.

Other big oversights are the Moody Blues, Grand Funk and Journey.

I would also argue for the Doobie Brothers - but which ones?
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2014, 02:09:02 PM »

No Chicago?  Shocked
No Moodies?   Shocked
No Meatloaf?   Shocked
No Doobies?   Shocked

They are a joke.  BUT...they do have a significant number of inductees who have N O T H I N G to do with Rock 'n' Roll or Rock.  So?  It's ALL good.

[if you like a good joke]

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2014, 03:14:04 PM »

No Chicago?  Shocked
No Moodies?   Shocked
No Meatloaf?   Shocked
No Doobies?   Shocked

They are a joke.  BUT...they do have a significant number of inductees who have N O T H I N G to do with Rock 'n' Roll or Rock.  So?  It's ALL good.

[if you like a good joke]

And that's why Mike's speech at the Beach Boys induction is one of the coolest things in the history of the Jann Wenner personal hall of fame that he grudgingly put Rush and Heart into. The only cooler thing is the nastygram that Johnny Rotten sent to them.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2014, 04:50:39 PM »

And that's why Mike's speech at the Beach Boys induction is one of the coolest things in the history of the Jann Wenner personal hall of fame that he grudgingly put Rush and Heart into.

Maybe had Mike Love's self-aggrandizing rant been directed at all towards the institution or Wenner, I might agree with you. Instead, he took pot shots at his contemporaries because they didn't show up. If anything, Mike was favouring the Hall of Fame institution over McCartney and Diana Ross. If you really believe that Mike was being critical of the hall, why was he so uptight about people for not showing up and accepting an award? Let's face it - it was simply more of his usual shtick: I'm better than all of you and I'm going to tell you in the most stupidly aggressive way possible.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2014, 05:16:18 PM »

Ya...the speach was pretty much a gigantic fly attracting mound of 100% STUPID.  He tried to explain it away on Howard Stern's pile of drivel a few daze later by suggesting that he'd been cut off before he could get to the point that "WE CAN ALL COME TOGETHER TO MAKE A POSITIVE DUFFERENCE".

Ya sure Mike.  Don't be such a ***dink***.

Just accept that you screwed up royally...that you didn't eat anything and that the booze took your head away.  And then admit it.  T.M.?  My arse.

Anyway...whatever he did or said then has been well undone and superceded by some ongoing positve stuff.  Time didn't STOP the night Mike delivered his claim to idiotic superiority and supremacy.  That he keeps trying to get there again...from time to time...is just Mike being Mike.  He's OFTEN better WAY than that. Cool Guy

Still...all THAT said...while I do believe that Brian deserves to go into the supposed 'Hall' as an individual...I do not think that Mike will EVER get there ... alone.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 05:47:18 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2014, 05:44:34 PM »

Meatlof got screwed, also Neil Sedaka isn't in (WHAT THE f***) and also Chubby Checkers apparently isn't worthy of the Rock & Roll hall of fame, although anybody over 4 years old can sing the Twist 60 years later.  

To be fair, I don't think anybody takes Meat Loaf seriously after this and I don't blame them.  LOL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7nVteJ8_8k

But also aside from the Bat Out of Hell album and his role in Rocky Horror, I can't think of anything notable he's done (in music at least, he did play the man with giant breasts in Fight Club).  If anything, Todd Rundgren, the producer of that album should be in first.  

I really don't understand why people think Chubby Checker is snubbed either when The Twist and Let's Twist Again are the only notable songs he ever had.  As for Neil Sedaka, I think he's another one people don't take very seriously.  He made schlock that makes Neil Diamond look hardcore.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 05:52:12 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2014, 05:50:09 PM »

Rocky...Don't forget Stoney.

And Meat had 1 HELL of a GREAT voice.  I mean a HUGE voice.  That kind of talent and success deserves TRUE recognition.  But they "won't do that."

------------------------------------------

Rocky...Hank Ballard and the Midnighters did the original 'The Twist'...and they did it really, REALLY well.  That said...Chubby also nailed it along with other hit songs not mentioned above like Limbo Rock, The Hucklebuck, Pony Time, Loddy Lo, Hooka Tooka, Do the Freddie and a really GREAT and under-rated album called ' The Change Has Come ' which yielded the great tune 'Running' among others.  I was proud to program that into our radio mix at the time when I was PD of a reasonably significant AM station in Canada.

I also subsequently interviewed Chubby and his good pal Gary Anderson simultaneously during the noon hour on air in Toronto on 'The Legendary Lunch'.  I didn't interview just ANYBODY. Wink
----------------------------

Then there's Neil Sedaka who enjoyed 2...count 'em T W O...distinctly successful careers.  His first go round was perhaps a little bit of what you suggested...but successful nonetheless.  Then he returned...like a dozen years later to score and write another MITTFULL of songs.  He wrote 'Love Will Keep Us Together' which was huge for those forgotten Beach Boys The Captain and his Toenails.  He remade 'Breakin' Up Is Hard to Do' into a new and vital success.  He scored that 'Bad Blood' thing with Reggie Dwight [a pal of Brians' and the guy who inducted our heroes into the 'Hall'.  Elton also quickly thanked Mike for not mentioning HIS name].  Neil also had that truly FINE salute to Beatle John  called 'The Immigrant' riding the charts when Johnny Ono needed a little American attention.  

So let's not be so quick to toss folks onto the poo pile.  I guess you had to be there. Cool Guy
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 06:16:03 PM by Add Some » Logged

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2014, 06:58:54 PM »

Chubby Checker is synonymous with that era of Rock & Roll.  He owned the entire dance crazy genre.  That was a big part of early 'sock hop' rock and roll and his oversight is embarassing.

Neil Sedaka was masterful at writing bubblegum pop records.  In his second career, in my opinion "Laughter in the Rain" is good enough to get him in just for that 1 song.

Meatloaf wont' get in because he's a republican. 

As for Mike's Rock & Roll hall of fame speech, what always amazes me is that people say he's an asshole, and he's on stage saying stupid sh*t, and he's drunk, and he's trying to pick a fight with people much more talented than him, and blah blah blah...

and my response to that is, Yes, and he's the greatest Rock Star in the room that night.  That's the whole point, and that's why he's the Axl Rose of the 60's.

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2014, 07:21:03 PM »

Meatloaf wont' get in because he's a republican.  

That didn't stop them from inducting Johnny Ramone, who of course thanked George W. Bush in his speech but didn't even mention Joey.  I'd say that's an even bigger dick move than what Mike did.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 07:27:27 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: December 27, 2014, 07:46:56 PM »

Not really sure what you're saying about Mike there Ron but YA...I forgot about 'Laughter in the Rain'...a HUGE freakin' hit in that 2nd go round.  And you nailed Chubby....so to speak. LOL  He was BIG...and not really all that Chuuby.  Dick Clark's wife named him.  Ernest Evans was never going to be a star...no matter who's song he'd re-make his own.  She said...HE's Fats Domino...YOU're Chubby Checker.  And the rest is Hall of Fame-worthy history.

Not unlike ME...Mike should EAT before he drinks. Cool Guy

[by the way...Brian was the BIGGEST rock star in the building that night...no offence.]
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 07:50:03 PM by Add Some » Logged

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 27, 2014, 07:55:44 PM »

and my response to that is, Yes, and he's the greatest Rock Star in the room that night.  That's the whole point, and that's why he's the Axl Rose of the 60's.

If that's the case, then I guess I don't like rock stars.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 27, 2014, 08:02:55 PM »

ya know, if they put everybody in( that everybody thinks belongs) then what's the point?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: December 27, 2014, 08:07:38 PM »

ya know, if they put everybody in( that everybody thinks belongs) then what's the point?

Hells bells...we're LIGHT YEARS past that. LOL

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 27, 2014, 08:10:26 PM »

Chicago's absence is the biggest oversight.

Other big oversights are the Moody Blues, Grand Funk and Journey.

I would also argue for the Doobie Brothers - but which ones?

And let me add to the above no-brainer candidates for induction..........the Electric Light Orchestra.  And Jeff Lynne.

Disgraceful.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 27, 2014, 08:12:57 PM »

I agree with those mentioned, especially The Moody Blues, ELO, and Chicago. Two of my head scratchers are Three Dog Night and Ozzy Osbourne.

I always thought that too much emphasis was placed on albums as opposed to singles. I didn't listen to many Three Dog Night albums, but they gave me a lot of listening pleasure driving to school, sitting on the beach, growing up listening to the radio at the breakfast table, hearing them on the neighbor's radio while cutting the grass, or simply spinning their 45's, many of which were classic late 60's/early 70's staples. To me, the power of the single should get more credit. That's how many people enjoy(ed) music anyway, IMO, not necessarily sitting/laying somewhere listening to an entire album. And I'm not dissing albums, which leads me to Ozzy.

11 Platinum albums, 20-something hit singles, sold out concert tours, and still played consistently on classic radio! What does Ozzy have to do?
Vernon Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't fight the sea

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 27, 2014, 11:17:49 PM »

IMHO there are a great deal of artists that had no business being named to the r & r hall of fame and a great many of our finest artists who have not. I no longer consider it a credible organization.

Make waves, not love
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: December 28, 2014, 02:42:20 AM »

Eric Clapton's in there 3 times.  Good for him.  Also in the ROCK and Roll Hall of Fame...again that's ROCK [and roll]
Donna Summer.
The Beastie Boys.
Abba.
Wanda Jackson
Run-DMC
Madonna
Grandmaster Flash
Miles Davis
Jann Wenner
Floyd Crammer
Isaac Hayes
Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys [although they sure were great for Country Swing]
Bill Monroe

It is the Rock....and Roll Hall.  There are these folks who, as great as they are/were, don't really strike me as having Rocked...or Rolled all that much.  Maybe they are credited with more influence than I am aware of.  Won't be the first time that I am willing to stand corrected.

Then there's the list of Rock-oriented members out of the 304 Inductees [to date] and 108 groups [so far] who I don't really think have done anuwhere near as much as all these folks mentioned in this ever-growing thread.  There are quite a few who got in on reputation it seems.

Don't get me wrong.  A BUNCH of those folks listed above were great or better at what they did...I mean Miles?  Floyd?  Abba?  Pure GIANTS.  But Rock?  Roll?  Not so much.

Jann Wenner... LOL

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: December 28, 2014, 05:01:50 AM »

"Rock and Roll" is used as a chiffre for popular music of the 20th century (and probably also the 21st). So, it's ok to include successful pop artists like ABBA etc. It's not about the genre Rock and Roll.
But Add Some, Wanda Jackson ? I don't really like her all that much but she started out (and is still doing it from time to time) as a Rock act.
Floyd Cramer played on a lot of Rock classics.
And Bill Monroe and Bob Wills are probably inducted as influences. And rightfully so imo.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx