gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:16:33 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ringo Starr on Mike's Rock'n'Roll Hall Of Fame speech  (Read 25948 times)
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2014, 12:37:29 AM »

Interviewer: Do you recall Mike Love's speech that night?
Ringo Starr: I don't. Did he mention me?

Interviewer: He chewed out most people in the room, including the Beatles, and said that Mick Jagger was too "chickenshit" to get on stage with the Beach Boys.
Ringo Starr: Yeah. I don't really ever listen to what he has to say [laughs].

There's quite a few posters on here who would really benefit from this attitude! Cheesy

Ringo Starr: great drummer, sympathetic person, wise man. Thumbs Up
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 12:39:39 AM by Micha » Logged

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2014, 12:42:34 AM »

I know Ringo's not being inducted as a solo artists, but if he was then he has no place being in the RRHOF when Brian Wilson is not
Brian hasn't had a very successful solo career. Only the first album did much on the charts, and even that sold far less than hoped for. As a concert act, he's mostly been doing the songs he made popular with the Beach Boys, and I can't say that his solo work has had any great influence on other artists. Ringo had a string of hit singles in the 70's, several successful albums, and played on many other artists' records, too.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2014, 12:43:11 AM »

Richy Starkey, Liverpool's finest,  *is* the embodiment of musical excellence and his drumming style is wholly unique and easily definable, like few other drummers in Rock. Those fat fills of his, while technically easy to play, are such a trademark... and he was a metronome, always steady.

The R&RHOF is kind of a joke anyway. I can think of many other groups who should get it in but that doesn't mean Ringo shouldn't. If it means something personally for him to get in, great!

I'm tired of people calling Ringo mediocre. Pete Best was mediocre and the Beatles rightly let him go (however cruelly). Ringo on the other hand became the Beatles' most captivating member on the silver screen and his laconic, idiosyncratic expressions brought us phrases like "A Hard Day's Night" and "Tomorrow Never Knows".

As far as the Mike quote goes, I think he was reacting to the negativity of what was quoted to him rather than anything personal against Mike. They seem cordial when they meet up at TM events and the like.

Anyway, just my 3 cents. Go Ringo!

Wow! sensible post. A rare thing when the topic turns to Mike. Thanks.
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2014, 02:00:54 AM »

I know Ringo's not being inducted as a solo artists, but if he was then he has no place being in the RRHOF when Brian Wilson is not
Only the first album did much on the charts,
Regarding U.S. Charts:

Brian Wilson: #54
Imagination: #88
Gettin' In Over My Head: #100
Brian Wilson Presents Smile: #13
That Lucky Old Sun: #21
Brian Wilson Reimagines Gershwin: #26
In the Key of Disney: #83

Admittedly those aren't necessarily chart numbers that will get you into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but it's not true that only the first album did much on the charts.  BWPS in particular did much, much more on the charts than his first solo album did.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2014, 07:27:10 AM »

However, I'll defend him as a drummer all day long.

LOL...that's a good one.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2014, 07:46:20 AM »

I can't imagine ML not relating to Ringo's sense of humor.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2014, 07:51:47 AM »

I can't imagine ML not relating to Ringo's sense of humor.

Which leads us back to Mike's ( to be published) memoir: 

That would look great on the back cover.

"I don't really ever listen to what he has to say." - Ringo Starr

It would show how Mike Love takes it in stride.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2014, 08:35:57 AM »

Ringo isn't being inducted because of his stellar solo career. Yes, he had some great success in the early 70s, made some really good records.

He's being inducted because they can get attention for the ceremony by having a Beatle there. He's being inducted because of his time in the Beatles. Even when McCartney was inducted as a "solo" artist, he sang Beatles tunes (and gave a tipsy speech that was, if nothing else, *less* interesting than Mike's 1988 speech).

Ringo getting in actually bodes well for Brian getting the nod at some point as a "solo" artist, although again the connection would be to the Beach Boys, with some emphasis on his production/writing/arranging (though he would probably not inducted as a "producer" as some producers have).

Had Ringo gone to rehab when that 1988 HOF ceremony took place? I recall he did rehab not too long before doing his first tour in 1989. If he hadn't done rehab yet, that might explain why he doesn't remember the '88 ceremony.

There's actually a funny bit about the Beach Boys in Ringo's "Postcards from the Boys" book. He mentions that he played a gig with the Beach Boys (referencing his 1984 Washington DC appearance), and mentions that he has ZERO recollection of having ever played the gig, but someone showed him a photo, so it must have happened!  LOL

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2014, 10:48:59 AM »

well I would say that the chart position isn't really that important for the Ringo, when you think about not only his recordings but his successful touring with the All Star Band, but yeah he had some great albums and he had some terrible albums,,in the 70's he did two great albums "Ringo" (which feature the other 3 Beatles) and "Goodnight Vienna" then it went downhill from there until the 90's and all of his cds from "Time takes Time"to " Y-not" and "2012" have all been really good, sure not hit records on the charts but great songs and great productions...
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2014, 11:34:55 AM »

Ringo isn't being inducted because of his stellar solo career. Yes, he had some great success in the early 70s, made some really good records.

He's being inducted because they can get attention for the ceremony by having a Beatle there. He's being inducted because of his time in the Beatles. Even when McCartney was inducted as a "solo" artist, he sang Beatles tunes (and gave a tipsy speech that was, if nothing else, *less* interesting than Mike's 1988 speech).

Ringo getting in actually bodes well for Brian getting the nod at some point as a "solo" artist, although again the connection would be to the Beach Boys, with some emphasis on his production/writing/arranging (though he would probably not inducted as a "producer" as some producers have).

Had Ringo gone to rehab when that 1988 HOF ceremony took place? I recall he did rehab not too long before doing his first tour in 1989. If he hadn't done rehab yet, that might explain why he doesn't remember the '88 ceremony.

There's actually a funny bit about the Beach Boys in Ringo's "Postcards from the Boys" book. He mentions that he played a gig with the Beach Boys (referencing his 1984 Washington DC appearance), and mentions that he has ZERO recollection of having ever played the gig, but someone showed him a photo, so it must have happened!  LOL
Somewhere on YouTube is that BB/Ringo appearance in 1984. It's just great!  I think it was especially important since Dennis had passed away only about six months prior.  And, who better than Ringo, to make an appearance.  It's delightful to see him get this award. 

Not that long ago, I think some 50th anniversary of Ed Sullivan hosting The Beatles, they did a spot on how Ringo got his first drum pad, in a hospital, while being treated for tuberculosis.  It seems that he was very sickly as a child, and spent years on end, in a hospital.  He seems to be a really regular guy who knows where it's at. 

From Modern Drummer Magazine (December 1981/January 1982 issue) on drumlessons.com "Flat tins were cymbals, and a big biscuit tin with some depth in it was the tom, and a shallow biscuit tin was the snare drum and so forth."
And just his attitude impressed me..."I never did solos...I hated solos. I wanted to be the drummer within the band, not the frontman." (supra)

But, apart from a few key lead solos, he had very solid solo hits, such as It Don't Come Easy, Photograph, You're 16, and Oh, My My. 

His journey to his greatness, merits the award alone.  JMHO

Beer
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2014, 02:24:51 PM »

What about Brian Wilson?  What's up with THAT?  Brian isn't there...solo?  What?  He hasn't written or composed enough great music yet?  Maybe another album or 3 and he'll be considered worthy?

On paper he's just not a good candidate. He only had one album that had significant chart action, his singles didn't perform that well, and if he ever pissed off Jann Wenner, he's screwed.

Agreed.  He just hasn't had that remarkable a solo career.  If they wanted to put him in there as a producer or something, I could get on board with that.  But as a solo artist?  Forget it. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2014, 03:01:59 PM »

Someone mentioned this earlier, but he's RINGO!  RINGO of "JOHN, PAUL, GEORGE and...."   Like him or not (and if not, why not?  He was a great drummer for the Beatles and an iconic, laconic ambassador round the world for Rock and Roll!).   He sure as shootin' ought to be in on his own merits simply for who he is.  That being said, the Hall of Fame is an utter joke and WE ALL should also be inducted - every true blue fan of rock and roll music from all around the world has as much claim to being an inductee as anyone.   The rockers made the music - but WE BUY IT, LISTEN TO IT, GO TO CONCERTS (and often pay ridiculous sums of cash to do so) and WE OBSESS over it.   We ARE rock and roll. 
"'Nuff said!"   3D
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2014, 08:13:29 AM »

Someone mentioned this earlier, but he's RINGO!  RINGO of "JOHN, PAUL, GEORGE and...."   Like him or not (and if not, why not?  He was a great drummer for the Beatles and an iconic, laconic ambassador round the world for Rock and Roll!).   He sure as shootin' ought to be in on his own merits simply for who he is.  That being said, the Hall of Fame is an utter joke and WE ALL should also be inducted - every true blue fan of rock and roll music from all around the world has as much claim to being an inductee as anyone.   The rockers made the music - but WE BUY IT, LISTEN TO IT, GO TO CONCERTS (and often pay ridiculous sums of cash to do so) and WE OBSESS over it.   We ARE rock and roll. 
"'Nuff said!"   3D

You were actually on the shortlist of nominees but weren't chosen due to the fact that you're a potato.  Discrimination I say.

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2014, 08:16:51 AM »

I thought it was because the less informed members of the HOF nominating committee [ie: almost all of them] mistook him for Ed Head and thought that his checkered past and questionable track record was a little seedy.  Gall-darned 'Playboy'!!!

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2014, 10:50:28 AM »

Yes, "potato prejudice".....I face it everyday.    Cry
RRHOF be damned!  Viva la tuber!!   King
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2014, 12:32:44 PM »

Agreed.  He just hasn't had that remarkable a solo career.

...I have to say again, the guy had nine Top 10 hits in five years.

So, basically, his career equals the Beach Boys up through "California Girls".

Is that really something to sneeze at?

Cheers,
Jon Blum
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2014, 06:28:14 PM »

Cheers,
Jon Blum

Brian had nine top Ten Hits!  What were they please? 

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2014, 06:52:02 PM »

Cheers,
Jon Blum

....err, they're talking about one Richard Starkey, better known as Ringo Starr.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2014, 06:54:03 PM »

Cheers,
Jon Blum

....err, they're talking about one Richard Starkey, better known as Ringo Starr.

But the quote they were responding to was talking about Brian Wilson not Ringo.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2014, 06:56:46 PM »

Cheers,
Jon Blum

But the quote they were responding to was talking about Brian Wilson not Ringo.

Yes, Thank you!  Before he edited the quote: 
What about Brian Wilson?  What's up with THAT?  Brian isn't there...solo?  What?  He hasn't written or composed enough great music yet?  Maybe another album or 3 and he'll be considered worthy?

On paper he's just not a good candidate. He only had one album that had significant chart action, his singles didn't perform that well, and if he ever pissed off Jann Wenner, he's screwed.

Agreed.  He just hasn't had that remarkable a solo career.  If they wanted to put him in there as a producer or something, I could get on board with that.  But as a solo artist?  Forget it. 

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2014, 07:21:41 PM »

It's HIGH time Brian was recognized for his decades of work in the studio...for turning Pet Sounds from an excellent solo effort into a senasational group album, for BWPS...and for Smile itself.  It's time that he was recognized for his skills as a composer,  a magician with vocal arrangements, for his 50-some-odd-year body of work...and for his influence.

His solo career isn't good enough...MY ARSE!!! LOL

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2014, 11:31:21 PM »

It's HIGH time Brian was recognized for his decades of work in the studio...for turning Pet Sounds from an excellent solo effort into a senasational group album, for BWPS...and for Smile itself.  It's time that he was recognized for his skills as a composer,  a magician with vocal arrangements, for his 50-some-odd-year body of work...and for his influence.

His solo career isn't good enough...MY ARSE!!! LOL
Sure, let's induct Brian for his solo career...and Dennis, and Carl, and heck, let's just induct all the guys individually! Especially Bruce (you think I'm kidding...no serious...he had a great career pre-BB's).
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2014, 04:30:03 AM »

No...of course you're right.  Please excuse me.  Oh...and I was ever-so-wrong too. Embarrassed

Brian's solo career will only be 50 NEXT year.  1965.  That's when he extricated himself from the touring band so that he could stay home, compose, work in the studio and begin doin his thing...solo.  Cool

Whatever could  I have possibly been thinking?  Wink

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2014, 10:27:32 AM »

I'm still of the opinion that artists who have already been inducted into the R'n'HoF as part of an act (e.g. Beach Boys, Beatles, Yardbirds) shouldn't be reinducted as solo artists until AFTER the huge backlog of acts that aren't in the HoF have been inducted first, for fairness' sake.

Yes, that means that acts like Chicago and Jethro Tull should have gone in long ago -- and Paul McCartney, John Lennon, and Eric Clapton's solo inductions should have been delayed. All imo, of course.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 10:28:41 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2014, 11:50:25 PM »

I'm still of the opinion that artists who have already been inducted into the R'n'HoF as part of an act (e.g. Beach Boys, Beatles, Yardbirds) shouldn't be reinducted as solo artists until AFTER the huge backlog of acts that aren't in the HoF have been inducted first, for fairness' sake.

Yes, that means that acts like Chicago and Jethro Tull should have gone in long ago -- and Paul McCartney, John Lennon, and Eric Clapton's solo inductions should have been delayed. All imo, of course.
I agree, but the HOF is a joke now anyway. I don't lose any sleep over my favs, Paul Revere and the Raiders not getting in.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx