gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:39:48 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ringo Starr on Mike's Rock'n'Roll Hall Of Fame speech  (Read 25953 times)
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 16, 2014, 09:45:44 AM »

Ringo was just inducted into the R&R Hall Of Fame, the last of the Fabs to get in for individual achievement. Rolling Stone's reporter called him, and asked if he remembered Mike's speech at the 1988 ceremony. His answer at the link below.

https://www.yahoo.com/music/s/ringo-starr-hall-fame-induction-finally-four-us-065100554-rolling-stone.html
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 09:54:15 AM »

Ringo, that was spoken like a true scholar!! Congratulations on your induction and dismissing the lovester. You are the man!! Thumbs Up

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 09:57:09 AM »

Interviewer: Do you recall Mike Love's speech that night?
Ringo Starr: I don't. Did he mention me?

Interviewer: He chewed out most people in the room, including the Beatles, and said that Mick Jagger was too "chickenshit" to get on stage with the Beach Boys.
Ringo Starr: Yeah. I don't really ever listen to what he has to say [laughs].

BURRRRNNNN
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 09:59:02 AM by SloopJohnB » Logged

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 09:57:53 AM »

Pretty cold thing to say..

By the way, Ringo does not deserve to be in the HOF as a solo artist.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 09:58:48 AM »

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 10:08:38 AM »

I didn't know where to put this, and I didn't want to start a new thread, so I'll just put it here.  Apologies if it's been brought up.  I just read a short interview by Andy Greene in Rolling Stone with Ringo about him getting inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, and there was a brief Beach Boys / Mike Love mention.

AG: Tell me your memories of the 1988 ceremony when the Beatles got inducted.
RS: 1988 was a long time ago, I'm afraid. It was a big dinner with a lot of people. Mick [Jagger] was there. It's interesting that you do those gigs and you bump into a lot of people you haven't met in a long time, so that's always good.

AG: Do you recall Mike Love's speech that night?
RS: I don't. Did he mention me?

AG: He chewed out most people in the room, including the Beatles, and said that Mick Jagger was too "chickenshit" to get on stage with the Beach Boys.
RS: Yeah. I don't really ever listen to what he has to say [laughs].  LOL

https://www.yahoo.com/music/s/ringo-starr-hall-fame-induction-finally-four-us-065100554-rolling-stone.html

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 10:12:39 AM »

Why not? 
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 10:14:34 AM »

Why not? 

I don't think much of his solo career.

At the very least Deep Purple should be in before Ringo Starr

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 10:25:31 AM »

Good for Ringo! He's always been my favorite Beatle!
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 10:26:31 AM »

Why not? 

I don't think much of his solo career.

At the very least Deep Purple should be in before Ringo Starr

Yeah, Deep Purple probably should be in there, but you can't argue with Ringo's resume.
Three singles certified gold in the US.
One album certified platinum and one certified gold in the US.
Two Billboard #1 singles, two #3, a #4, a #5, a #6 and a #9.
Plus, he played on records by Harry Nilsson, Peter Frampton, Leon Russell, Steve Stills, and a slew of others, not to mention George Harrison, Paul McCartney, and The Beach Boys.  I think he's worthy. 
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 10:31:23 AM »

I think the best known drummer in the history of Rock 'n' Roll/Rock...should be in the Hall.  I mean why not?  He's Ringo freakin' Starr.  And as much as I agree that Deep Purple deserves to be there...NO QUESTION... ... ...

What about Brian Wilson?  What's up with THAT?  Brian isn't there...solo?  What?  He hasn't written or composed enough great music yet?  Maybe another album or 3 and he'll be considered worthy?

[ Ringo's little poke at Mike was pretty gentle.  Typical Richie remark.  He's a pretty funny guy. ]

That sure was a hall of fame speech though. Wink
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 10:37:30 AM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 10:46:08 AM »

What about Brian Wilson?  What's up with THAT?  Brian isn't there...solo?  What?  He hasn't written or composed enough great music yet?  Maybe another album or 3 and he'll be considered worthy?

On paper he's just not a good candidate. He only had one album that had significant chart action, his singles didn't perform that well, and if he ever pissed off Jann Wenner, he's screwed.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
kermit27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 10:59:20 AM »

He's not being inducted as a solo artist.  He's receiving the Award for Musical Excellence, which is different.   I'm a big fan, and even I agree his solo career is not worthy.  However, I'll defend him as a drummer all day long.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 11:00:24 AM »

What about Brian Wilson?  What's up with THAT?  Brian isn't there...solo?  What?  He hasn't written or composed enough great music yet?  Maybe another album or 3 and he'll be considered worthy?

On paper he's just not a good candidate. He only had one album that had significant chart action, his singles didn't perform that well, and if he ever pissed off Jann Wenner, he's screwed.

I think you're only eligible 25 years after releasing your first album, which means he's only been eligible since last year, it seems.

Either way, there are enough snubs in the Hall already.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 11:09:37 AM »

The first solo album came out in what?  1988?  26 years ago No?

Maybe they're afraid that he'll bring Mike along to make the induction speech. LOL

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
kermit27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2014, 11:15:16 AM »

Maybe they're afraid that he'll bring Mike along to make the induction speech. LOL

That's hilarious.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2014, 11:18:04 AM »

Ringo is getting the Musical Excellence award which is more of a sideman category (it used to be called the Sideman award but Musical Excellence sounds more sophisticated).  It's the same award the E Street Band got last year.  So no, Ringo has not had the most prolific solo career, certainly not next to his three bandmates but he is being inducted more for his drumming and his work as a session musician.

KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2014, 11:24:41 AM »

First Hall of Fame drummer who can't paradiddle. Or do a drum roll.  Cry
Mr. Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2014, 11:30:16 AM »

Richy Starkey, Liverpool's finest,  *is* the embodiment of musical excellence and his drumming style is wholly unique and easily definable, like few other drummers in Rock. Those fat fills of his, while technically easy to play, are such a trademark... and he was a metronome, always steady.

The R&RHOF is kind of a joke anyway. I can think of many other groups who should get it in but that doesn't mean Ringo shouldn't. If it means something personally for him to get in, great!

I'm tired of people calling Ringo mediocre. Pete Best was mediocre and the Beatles rightly let him go (however cruelly). Ringo on the other hand became the Beatles' most captivating member on the silver screen and his laconic, idiosyncratic expressions brought us phrases like "A Hard Day's Night" and "Tomorrow Never Knows".

As far as the Mike quote goes, I think he was reacting to the negativity of what was quoted to him rather than anything personal against Mike. They seem cordial when they meet up at TM events and the like.

Anyway, just my 3 cents. Go Ringo!
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2014, 11:34:57 AM »

Richy Starkey, Liverpool's finest,  *is* the embodiment of musical excellence and his drumming style is wholly unique and easily definable, like few other drummers in Rock. Those fat fills of his, while technically easy to play, are such a trademark... and he was a metronome, always steady.

Right on.

As far as the Mike quote goes, I think he was reacting to the negativity of what was quoted to him rather than anything personal against Mike. They seem cordial when they meet up at TM events and the like.

Well, he does say that he doesn't ever listen to what he has to say... Cheesy
Mr. Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2014, 11:41:53 AM »

Despite all I just wrote (and I still stand by all of it), I will say that Dennis was more important to the Beach Boys than Ringo was to the Beatles, all things considered.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2014, 05:14:28 PM »

On paper he's just not a good candidate. He only had one album that had significant chart action, his singles didn't perform that well,

...Everyone forgets about "Goodnight Vienna"...

"Ringo" went to #2 on the album chart, "Goodnight Vienna" went to #8, and between the two he had six Top 10 single placings (one a double-A-side).  Plus two non-album Top 10 singles, and three later ones that made the Top 40.

Singles-wise, that's a better placement than George!

Cheers,
Jon Blum
sandmountainslim
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2014, 05:25:26 PM »

Agreed.  Love the Beatles and Ringo but he has not had a Hall of Fame solo career at all.....Green Day doesn't deserve it either.   
BillA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2014, 08:50:05 PM »

If Ringo is in for his drumming Brian should be in for producing.

In 1974 Mike Love's concept album Endless Summer ignited a second generation of Beach Boys fans and stirred a comeback that rocked the music world.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2014, 09:08:58 PM »

I know Ringo's not being inducted as a solo artists, but if he was then he has no place being in the RRHOF when Brian Wilson is not
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx