gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:48:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ringo Starr on Mike's Rock'n'Roll Hall Of Fame speech  (Read 25947 times)
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: December 28, 2014, 05:56:36 AM »

OK...Given that...Where's Frank Sinatra?  Nat King Cole is there.  How about the Count...and the Duke?  It isn't called the Popular Music Hall of Fame.  It ... when you really LOOK at it ... doesn't make a whole heap of sense...that R'n'R Hall of Fame.  Huh

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 28, 2014, 06:51:20 AM »

Chicago's absence is the biggest oversight.

Other big oversights are the Moody Blues, Grand Funk and Journey.

I would also argue for the Doobie Brothers - but which ones?

And let me add to the above no-brainer candidates for induction..........the Electric Light Orchestra.  And Jeff Lynne.

Disgraceful.

Yes. Lynne's activities as a producer and member of the Wilburys should add to the case. I don't have a problem with Grand Funk or Journey being out but the inclusion of say Grandmaster Flash at their expense is purely political. Don't even get me started on the omission of Jan & Dean. Wenner is a pud.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 28, 2014, 06:53:05 AM »

OK...Given that...Where's Frank Sinatra?  Nat King Cole is there.  How about the Count...and the Duke?  It isn't called the Popular Music Hall of Fame.  It ... when you really LOOK at it ... doesn't make a whole heap of sense...that R'n'R Hall of Fame.  Huh

Frank would likely rise from the dead in protest if ever inducted into Wenner's play house.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 28, 2014, 11:18:54 AM »

Wanda Jackson

As former Memphian, I take issue with the opinion that Wanda Jackson's not rock and roll enough for the R'n'RHoF. In the early days of r'n'r, she was right in there with Jerry Lee, Elvis, and Little Richard. "Let's Have a Party" is a prime example of her rockabilly bonafides. I consider her one of the founding mothers of r'n'r.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 28, 2014, 11:36:18 AM »

LOOK, LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING YOU CAN ONLY LEARN FROM EXPERIENCE:

f*** YOU

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: December 28, 2014, 12:54:48 PM »

I agree! It doesn't make sense. But it's more or less the stuff magazines like Rolling Stone care about. It starts with the Beatles, takes some of the early Rock'n'Roll artists (and they don't even know very much about them) and some blues artists plus the well known country stars (not even all of them). It's like they read a 10th grade's essay about Rock'n'Roll and used that for their basis. I mean where is Lonnie Donegan,
But what they do - and that's why Sinatra isn't included - is that they don't choose between Rock'n'Roll and Pop but between "square" and "cool" which is even more subjective than genres. It's just total crap.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 28, 2014, 12:58:21 PM »

what can you expect from an organization started by Yawn Wanker?
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: December 28, 2014, 02:00:56 PM »

Emdeeh.  I yield to your superior 'take' on Wanda.  Maybe old "Yawn Wanker" LOL  knew that....and then snuck himself into 'the hall' based on Rocker's mention of the infamous grade 10 essay.

I never made it to grade 10...a 2nd year.

Anyway...I'm glad they're recognizing Ringo.  I still want Brian in there solo...and all of the other groups and artists mentioned in these past couple of pages of this 'booklet'.  Wanda stays.  But really???  Bill Monroe?  Isaac Hayes?  He's a bad mother-fu...shut your mouth!!!"  ["I'm talkin' 'bout Shaft".]

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 28, 2014, 02:06:02 PM »

What about Burton Cummings and the Guess Who
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: December 28, 2014, 02:12:36 PM »

And Randy Bachman...with BTO...not to mention The Guess Who.  Randy also put together a decent little outfit know as Bravebelt.  He also had that band called IronHorse which recorded a couple of Carl Wilson/Randy Bachman songs.  So too did the Beach Boys on the Keeping The Summer Alive lp.

Then there's Burton and Randy's SOLO work...and their Bachman-Cummings album from  just a few years back.

But...Shhhhhhhh.  No Bryan Adams. Wink

CoolWater
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 30, 2014, 12:31:16 PM »

Pretty cold thing to say..

Green Day doesn't deserve it either.   

Lurk mode off:

You may not like Green Day, but they do deserve it. They made 2 of the biggest selling most influential albums of the past 25 years in Dookie (30 million sold world wide and a Grammy) and American Idiot (21 million sold and . Their best singles have been huge: Longview (#1) Basketcase ( 5 weeks at # 1), When I Come Around (7 weeks at # 1), J.A.R. (#1), Good Riddance (#2), Brain Stew/Jaded (#3), Minority (#1), Boulevard of Broken Dreams (#2), Wake me When September Ends (#6). And that's not even all of their top 10 singles.

Green day was there when Grunge died to revive punk and save rock and roll. God bless Green Day. God bless the Beach Boys.

Lurk mode on:
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 30, 2014, 12:36:36 PM »

Screw lurk mode, any input from any person is worth it! Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 30, 2014, 12:41:29 PM »

green day is the worlds greatsdt band you dont enve understand they formed aorund 1988 their msuci is  catchy fast and great dookie was really really good but warnigns probably just as good opeple say that they have not aged well i disaggree i think that they still rock

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 30, 2014, 01:39:41 PM »

Even if "The Twist" had been Chubby Checker's only hit, that isn't reason enough to exclude him - after all, they inducted Percy "When A Man Loves a Woman" Sledge. I'm not a great fan of Chubby, but it does seem strange that he is not in the HOF. Heck, I'd put the Kingsmen in for "Louie Louie", too.  Singles vs. albums? I never listened to Three Dog Night or Doobies albums very much, but their singles always sounded good on the radio, and I don't think there's anything wrong with having hit singles. It's only in recent years that I've gone back and discovered the albums of The Guess Who, but if they ever do get into the HOF, it's going to be for "No Time", "These Eyes", "Undun", "Hand Me Down World", not the "American Woman" album, or "Wheatfield Soul", or "Road Food".
Beachlad
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 02, 2015, 07:31:47 AM »

Chubby Checker performed at MY college in 86<I think> He was awesome. I never knew how versitale he was as a singer.  I would Have to say Hank Ballard deserves to go in as well both way before Ringo<I can't carry a Tune> Starr.  HIs stuff sold because he was a Beetle and no other reason.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 02, 2015, 11:10:33 AM »

Another Green Day fan here.  Rock!

To Add Some, I agree that The Guess Who is among the backlog of deserving and overlooked acts.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 11:13:18 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: January 02, 2015, 11:55:55 AM »

and also Gerry who raised their name [Guess Who] to begin with...Emdeeh.

All the best in 2015
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 03:11:46 PM by Add Some » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 03, 2015, 08:25:57 PM »

green day is the worlds greatsdt band
"Green Day" is the world's great student demonstration time band? I never knew...

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 04, 2015, 12:20:03 AM »

I always felt the Offspring did the same thing as Green Day but much better and a lot less pretentious.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 04, 2015, 05:57:12 AM »

Really disliked Green Day and Offspring when they were big in the 1990s. I was 13 or 14 years old and their music seemed so fake at the time. Groups like Bad Religion were rubbish as well but at least there was something remotely original about them (compared with GD and Offspring that is).
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx