gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:19:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Scott Wilson's Book  (Read 21948 times)
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2015, 11:03:00 AM »

Always looking on the bright side of life, aren't you, Andrew?   Roll Eyes
Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2015, 12:06:09 PM »

Well I wonder if this will be available in Australia. Generally I don't buy books online.

"When the time comes an American can't tell the truth because the Government doesn't, that's the time to give the country back to the Indians, if they'll have it." - Sam Holland

"What draws us all closer and makes us all care. Is not what we have, but the things that we share." - Jill Wolf
wild neon sins
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2015, 04:04:59 PM »

Wow. Just reading that top page brought tears to my eyes. I remember reading Scott's story in Ed Wincentsen's book about Dennis saving him from drowning after he fell off a boat Dennis was driving, and I had the same reaction. Very powerful stuff.

Same here.. eta: slightly off topic but they've posted a new to me photo of Dennis that's possibly from Carl's solo show (Dennis is very drunk & yelling)
https://www.facebook.com/ScottWilsonBiography/photos/pb.734572203299262.-2207520000.1422749024./772651732824642/?type=1

« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 04:19:02 PM by wild neon sins » Logged

"And suddenly I find myself, listening to a man I've never known before,
Telling me about the sea..."

Looking for contributions for a Dennis fanzine
https://denniswilsonzine.tumblr.com
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2015, 04:36:09 PM »

Same here.. eta: slightly off topic but they've posted a new to me photo of Dennis that's possibly from Carl's solo show (Dennis is very drunk & yelling)
https://www.facebook.com/ScottWilsonBiography/photos/pb.734572203299262.-2207520000.1422749024./772651732824642/?type=1

Yes, that is from Carl's show at The Roxy.  I shot it
wild neon sins
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2015, 05:33:28 PM »

Thanks Ed.

retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2015, 01:05:10 AM »

Just got the book today, so far so great!  Some of the chapters are very hard to get through because of certain events but there's a lot of great stuff in here.  To think Scott was originally going to be in "The Goonies"... Sad

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2015, 01:22:15 AM »

I too want this book in Australia....... not into all that facebook Sh!t.

if anyone is in touch with Scott, I hope someone can ask him about distributing this outside of facebook somehow.....

RickB
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 01:23:36 AM by Rick Bartlett » Logged
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2015, 03:01:32 AM »

I too want this book in Australia....... not into all that facebook Sh!t.

if anyone is in touch with Scott, I hope someone can ask him about distributing this outside of facebook somehow.....

RickB

They said you could order it on Amazon  Smiley

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2015, 02:26:25 AM »

I've also ordered the book.  I'm really looking forward to it.  They are also very quick at replying to PMs and helpful.  Posting to Australia shouldn't be a problem.
wild neon sins
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2015, 11:25:27 PM »

It's on amazon UK & US now & on kindle.
Just dipped into the extracts on 'look inside' - it's sweet, loving, very honest and bits/parts are heartbreaking Cry

eta: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Son-Beach-Karen-Lesley-Powell/dp/1507684894/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1424153632&sr=1-3 (click the cover)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 11:33:38 PM by wild neon sins » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2015, 05:25:30 AM »

hope there's some nice pictures

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2015, 05:49:21 PM »

Got the book today. Thumbed thru, haven't started reading yet. Just want to say, DON'T buy it for the pics, they're mostly blurry and disappointing

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2015, 02:43:44 AM »

Got the book today. Thumbed thru, haven't started reading yet. Just want to say, DON'T buy it for the pics, they're mostly blurry and disappointing

That's no good. Probably due to the whole self-publishing deal, but the fact of the matter is, the several-thousand words in the book is probably worth at least the pictures shown within, so even if you can't see the pictures, the heartfelt story is probably worth the price of admission.

As for me, never got a reply to my Facebook message asking for an order form, so I'll just buy a used copy here in a couple months....

No mas, por favor.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2015, 06:33:34 AM »

That's no good. Probably due to the whole self-publishing deal, but the fact of the matter is, the several-thousand words in the book is probably worth at least the pictures shown within, so even if you can't see the pictures, the heartfelt story is probably worth the price of admission.

As for me, never got a reply to my Facebook message asking for an order form, so I'll just buy a used copy here in a couple months....

Uhh, yeah. As for me, It's really hard to get thru the book. There's writing about Dennis but it comes to me as if it's been written by a teenager more than someone in his 50s.
Much of it is>> mom said this is what happened<<  and unfortunately, while it's organized in chapters alot of them jump around from present/past/present.
  It is nice to know that Scott has the remarkable ability to remember everything that happened  when he was only 3-6 years old...  
Kinda explains why this is self-published, I guess. Certainly it seems, why no publisher wanted  it (Tho I'm not familiar with publishing and perhaps this is the future for books?)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 06:37:46 AM by bgas » Logged

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2015, 08:45:07 AM »

Do you not want to order it from Amazon?
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2015, 03:31:32 PM »

I just bought it, 6.00 on Amazon for the Kindle version. I'm about four chapters in. Sorry to say, it's not very well written. It seems "dis-jointed" to me, no real flow to it. Bummer
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2015, 08:11:35 PM »

Just read the entire printed book cover-to-cover in one sitting. It's really powerful and extraordinarily sad stuff to read, and I'm very glad I ordered and read it. It's personal tragedy multiplied on many levels, and I applaud Scott for his brutal honesty.  Gut wrenching. As Scott states in the book, it was super hard to put everything out in the open in the manner he did. In fact, it's probably the most brutally honest personal account/bio that has ever been told or written by anyone closely associated with this band. Although I must now re-read my copy of The Real Beach Boy, because that is up there too.

I do hope a revised version will weed out the typos (and there are many), but honestly, one reads a book like this out of a curiosity to hear fascinating and unique stories, and typos don't make the story any less interesting - so don't let the typos dissuade anyone interested from checking it out.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 08:20:24 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2015, 05:55:28 AM »

Would like to get hold of this even more now  Cry

"When the time comes an American can't tell the truth because the Government doesn't, that's the time to give the country back to the Indians, if they'll have it." - Sam Holland

"What draws us all closer and makes us all care. Is not what we have, but the things that we share." - Jill Wolf
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2015, 11:43:50 AM »

Hey guys! Denny's son Scott is coming out with a new book soon so now we have two books to look forward to  Cheesy

Three, actually.

Four, actually. Smiley

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2015, 11:52:05 AM »

Hey guys! Denny's son Scott is coming out with a new book soon so now we have two books to look forward to  Cheesy

Three, actually.

Four, actually. Smiley

Scott's is out and not much to speak of; only revelation not previously mentioned anywhere( I think): Dennis told Scott that he had Cirrhosis of the liver and that he was dying 
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 01:00:28 PM by bgas » Logged

The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2015, 12:46:38 PM »

Cirrhosis??
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2015, 12:53:24 PM »

Yes. I read the book too. Cirrhosis of the liver. The book sucks.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2015, 02:13:29 PM »

Yes. I read the book too. Cirrhosis of the liver. The book sucks.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but don't you think that's a bit harsh? What does someone expect from a book like this? It's a guy with a unique story telling his life story from his perspective, warts and all. I learned a great deal about Scott, and a good amount of tidbits about Denny's life. It gave me a deeper understanding of the better times as well as the tragedy of Denny's life, and how people around him were affected.

The book has undeniable flaws in terms of feeling disjointed at times in how it flows, and a number of typos, true. For these reasons, the presentation may seem rough (at some times very rough), but "sucks" is a mighty strong word, and I just don't get what more a reader would expect from a book like this. I can handle typos. They don't effect me emotionally, they are just a nuisance. Sucks would be if Scott didn't say much at all, just treaded lightly, and barely skimmed the surface of notable events of his life. That's simply not the case with this book.  Scott seemingly dug deep, and I gotta give him credit for that.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 02:14:30 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2015, 08:08:13 PM »

Ok, "sucks" might be a bit harsh, I'll give you that. Let's just say it is poorly written and as bgas noted, contains very little new information.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2015, 08:10:42 PM »

I think I'm going to order the book, but for those that have read it, does it get any deeper than John Stebbon's book, The Real Beach Boy?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx