gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:44:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carol Kaye on "Surfin' USA"...  (Read 29929 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2014, 08:10:51 AM »

The AFM sheet has been published, by Stephen McParland.

That being the case, it aappears to be stalemate. McParland's publishing wouldn't seem to be recent unless it's in a recently published book, so the information has been available.
CK has been making her SUSA claim for a long time, so unless she's willing to admit a mistake (which she seems unwilling to do) if "we" want her to change her tune, some way has to be found to make it appear as tho the error lies somewhere other than in her court.
If this can't be accomplished, seems to me it will always come across as a grudge match between CK and AGD

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2014, 08:55:29 AM »

P.S. No, Alzheimer's is nothing to joke about!

Getting really off topic now, I think it is ok to make jokes about the disease itself to a certain extent, but not about people who actually have it. That's why I'm indignant about myself finding it funny.

And thanks for the tool joke, I was fighting myself not to make a complete tool of myself myself by once more pointing out a poster's little typo which is a nasty habit of mine. I'm still trying to imagine what a complete tool might be. Smiley

Now back on topic.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 11:27:43 AM by Micha » Logged

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2014, 09:49:11 AM »

"I'm still trying to imagine what a complete too might be. "

Wink  Also?  Wink

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2014, 11:28:03 AM »

"I'm still trying to imagine what a complete too might be. "

Wink  Also?  Wink

Darn! LOL Fixed it. Embarrassed

kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: December 17, 2014, 11:37:20 AM »

[I've posted here, which she monitors, requesting the supporting documentation be posted, or shown to someone. All she needs to do to make me look a complete tool, and re-rewrite BB history by proving her claim is to comply. Work of minutes, if not seconds. Then I unreservedly apologise, and we move on.

How do you know she monitors the forum?

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2014, 12:40:58 PM »

[I've posted here, which she monitors, requesting the supporting documentation be posted, or shown to someone. All she needs to do to make me look a complete tool, and re-rewrite BB history by proving her claim is to comply. Work of minutes, if not seconds. Then I unreservedly apologise, and we move on.

AGD monitors her house.  Cheesy

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2014, 12:51:30 PM »

AGD monitors her house.  Cheesy  LOL LOL

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: December 17, 2014, 12:57:20 PM »

It's not a joke at all. Glen states it in the American Band video.

You sure about that?? Gle's in neither the VHS nor DVD copy I have of said documentary...

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 17, 2014, 01:22:15 PM »

It's either in "American Band" or the '76 "It's OK" special.  Maybe in the latter now that I think about it.

sh*t.  Maybe I have Alzheimer's........

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 17, 2014, 01:49:25 PM »

Have you tried calling her, AGD? Might be more successful than creating threads online.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2014, 02:34:44 PM »

It's either in "American Band" or the '76 "It's OK" special.  Maybe in the latter now that I think about it.

It's in the 20th anniversary special.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2014, 03:47:58 PM »

Because she does, just as she does any BB/Crew-related forum or website.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 17, 2014, 03:50:56 PM »

It's in the 20th anniversary special.

Yeah, that's it.  The one where a Swedish interviewer accuses Dennis of having Beatle hair, and Dennis denies it, saying it's his own hair.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: December 17, 2014, 08:07:10 PM »

An issue might be, whether there is some alternative means of verifying "independently" whether the band members played on this.  Is it possible the union kept any kind of records?
There's an AFM contract listing the musicians for that session as Brian, Carl, Dennis, Mike & David.

And, there's Frank Devito's recollection of playing on the session with The Beach Boys (not other session players) - Devito was paid with a check from Murry, hence the absence of his name from the AFM contract - plus David's recollection of playing on the session (rhythm, plus the descending low staccato slides in the fade), and his clear recollection of playing the date with Devito, and his assertion that Carol Kaye never played a Beach Boys session while he was with the group. Finally, at the end of the unfaded "Surfin' U.S.A." session tape, Brian's voice can be heard in the background exclaiming, "That's it, Carl got it!" - obviously indicating his pleasure with Carl's guitar solo.

There's only one vowel difference between Carl and Carol.

Just sayin'....

Smiley

Yes...but Carol never claimed to have played the solo on SUSA, just the rhythm guitar...!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: December 17, 2014, 11:38:14 PM »

That's not a logical answer.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: December 18, 2014, 12:16:29 AM »

I'm barred from her forum, but in the past I've been shown posts where she's commented on posts about her on other forums. Including here.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 18, 2014, 12:24:47 AM »

I'd love to see this turn into some sort of boxing match. Then again, I'd rather not see some middle-aged man knock out a senior citizen.

I'm sure though, a stubborn old woman would much rather live in lalaland where what she believes is correct, than have to admit she's wrong and her memory is failing.

No mas, por favor.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: December 18, 2014, 07:54:30 AM »

I'm barred from her forum, but in the past I've been shown posts where she's commented on posts about her on other forums. Including here.

That's a logical answer! Smiley

job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 18, 2014, 07:59:57 AM »

Have you tried calling her, AGD? Might be more successful than creating threads online.

I'm sure she doesn't give two shits about the likes of AGD.  She's got far more significant people and projects to tend to.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: December 18, 2014, 09:11:02 AM »

Yes...but Carol never claimed to have played the solo on SUSA, just the rhythm guitar...!

I know she DID claim to have played a solo on one of the early songs in which it's been long-established that it was most definitely Carl. Her "proof"? She can still play it to this day. (I guess by that logic I also played the solo on Donovan's "Atlantis" despite it being released six years before I was even born.)

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 18, 2014, 09:35:25 AM »

I know she DID claim to have played a solo on one of the early songs in which it's been long-established that it was most definitely Carl. Her "proof"? She can still play it to this day. (I guess by that logic I also played the solo on Donovan's "Atlantis" despite it being released six years before I was even born.)

Well then I guess I played guitar on 'Give A Little Bit" by Supertramp and ROCKED IT!!!!
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 18, 2014, 09:58:07 AM »

I'd love to see this turn into some sort of boxing match. Then again, I'd rather not see some middle-aged man knock out a senior citizen.

I'm sure though, a stubborn old woman would much rather live in lalaland where what she believes is correct, than have to admit she's wrong and her memory is failing.
how do you know that she wouldn't knock HIM out...lol...
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 18, 2014, 10:13:56 AM »

It's important to remember that Carol showed up online very early. If I recall correctly, she began posting in online forums in 96 or 97. And at the time, it was relatively unusual to hear from people who had worked with Brian. So her initial welcome from the online fan community was very warm. Especially because she still did some very cool sessions at that time. She was on Everything I Need by the Wilsons and on a Matthew Sweet album in 98.

In those early years, she was also very open about admitting that she couldn't remember most of the songs that she had worked on in her session days. She didn't seem to think that they were all that important, musically. What's more, I seem to remember that she was fairly open to a back-and-forth discussion about the dates she played and what they actually were. But eventually something changed. I think she realized how important those 60s songs were to people, and I think she ultimately decided, having looked at some old AFM sheets for covers albums and the like, that she had actually played on all those hits. And eventually, she wasn't interested in a back-and-forth, or even admitting that she couldn't remember most of those years. She had decided what was true, and that was that. And any attempt to draw her out was met with withering scorn.

This all took several years to unfold, though. I liked her a great deal for much of the time. But eventually, you just couldn't take her seriously anymore. And that's a real shame, because she certainly has enough genuine accomplishments, enough actual musical legacy, that she has no reason to claim tracks that aren't hers.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 10:19:29 AM by Wirestone » Logged
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 18, 2014, 10:16:07 AM »

I'm sure she doesn't give two shits about the likes of AGD.  She's got far more significant people and projects to tend to.
Far more gullible people.
RP50
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 18, 2014, 10:18:11 AM »

The case for her being a forgetful senior citizen might hold up except for the fact that she's been making the same claims for at least the last 25 years or more.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx