gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:44:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: “The Warmth of The Sun” Multi-tracks  (Read 3494 times)
DSalter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2014, 09:30:58 PM »

I’ve always heard that all the multi-track masters for the Shut Down Volume 2 album were missing until the Lance Robison tapes were discovered by Jon Stebbins.

Jon stated in an April 11, 2009 posting to this Board that the songs on the Robison tapes were “Don't Worry Baby”, “Why Do Fools fall In Love”, “In The Parking Lot”, “Pom Pom Play Girl”, “This Car of Mine” and “Denny's Drums”.

I remember being somewhat disappointed at the time because those for “The Warmth of The Sun”, one of my very favorites, were not mentioned and I assumed lost forever.

I was ecstatic, therefore, when I heard them included on the new, fantastic “Keep an Eye on Summer” collection.

My question – where / when were these found?
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 09:56:34 PM »

My thoughts exactly!! 

When I played the album for the first time, I said to myself, "Where the heck did *this* come from?!?!"

Incidentally, the "backing vocals only" version of "Keep an Eye On Summer" seems to be just the sound of one channel from the stereo master placed onto both speakers in mono.  I don't think it came from any multi-track tapes.

Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 10:16:03 PM »

They found the session reel for "The Warmth of the Sun" and "Fun, Fun, Fun" (recorded at the same New Years Day, 1964 session) sometime before the Made In California box set was released last year.  Boyd and Linnet have said nothing specifically about finding this tape, but they have indicated that more tapes have turned up in recent years.

The rest of the songs from SDVII are presumably still missing.
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 10:16:20 PM »

The Multi-tracks for Fun, Fun,Fun were also noted to be on that tape or from the same session. They were also considered lost too. When the new stereo mixes for both tracks showed up on MIC, it was surreal! When I heard the stereo mixes, my thoughts were ok, now we have to hear the backing track in full stereo, because the Hawthorne, California mix was mono only.
ash
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 03:01:28 AM »

Great to know tapes are still being found. I have not completely given up hope for the missing Smile multitracks or the directors cut of Magnificent Ambersons for that matter.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 07:39:57 AM »

The one I want to appear is the multitrack of Good Vibrations - I want those glorious vocals in stereo!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 07:46:13 AM »

The one I want to appear is the multitrack of Good Vibrations - I want those glorious vocals in stereo!

Join the club.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 08:23:42 AM »

I'm ready for the 7.1 remix of Cassius Love vs. Sonny Wilson.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 08:26:06 AM »

I still wanna know where that a cappella Four Freshmen-esque version of "The Warmth Of The Sun" that was on Stephen Desper's site years ago came from. It was DEFINITELY at least Brian and other folks, and it sounded freaking amazing...

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 09:15:14 AM »

Go find the vocal multi-track master, then. Last reliably sighted September 1966 at Columbia.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 09:15:46 AM »

I’ve always heard that all the multi-track masters for the Shut Down Volume 2 album were missing until the Lance Robison tapes were discovered by Jon Stebbins.

Jon stated in an April 11, 2009 posting to this Board that the songs on the Robison tapes were “Don't Worry Baby”, “Why Do Fools fall In Love”, “In The Parking Lot”, “Pom Pom Play Girl”, “This Car of Mine” and “Denny's Drums”.

I remember being somewhat disappointed at the time because those for “The Warmth of The Sun”, one of my very favorites, were not mentioned and I assumed lost forever.

I was ecstatic, therefore, when I heard them included on the new, fantastic “Keep an Eye on Summer” collection.

My question – where / when were these found?

The Warmth of The Sun is one of my favorites too. Thanks for pointing out this new mix. I didn't think it could ever be more beautiful, but this is pure bliss to hear.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 10:10:48 AM »

Go find the vocal multi-track master, then. Last reliably sighted September 1966 at Columbia.

And that was three(?) years before the Spring cleaning took place at Columbia, where a lot of tapes were disposed of.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 10:14:29 AM »

Nope. According to Bruce it was the following year, 1967.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx