-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:04:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Kirk Douglas at 98
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Kirk Douglas at 98  (Read 10371 times)
Smilin Ed H
« on: December 14, 2014, 04:02:19 AM »

Douglas just celebrated his 98th birthday and has listed his own personal choice of the films he's made. We more or less agree, but have added a few more. I mean, how could he not have Out of the Past...?

http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/kirk-douglas-favourite-kirk-douglas.html

For an actor often known for histrionic performances that have made him an easy target for impressionists, it's refreshing to note just how many of these films (and performances) are actually outstanding.

My personal faves:

Lonely Are the Brace
Out of the Past
Ace in the Hole
Paths of Glory
Seven Days in May
bluesno1fann
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 03:50:37 PM »

Gotta say, I kinda freaked out when I saw the tread title, thinking that he died - which considering his age would be expected. Very glad it's otherwise, too many greats have been dying lately.

Happy 98th Kirk Douglas!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 08:25:54 PM »

Well, I gotta admire your inquiring nature - how do you know so many famous people, iin every field, be it music, politics or cinematography? I just now find out who is this Kirk Douglas. While we're at it, can you name your favorite films starring this guy? I'm sure, given how much you're a fan of his, you have seen them all. So?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 11:30:46 PM »

A. Education and an inquiring mind, as you say - but it's no different from an interest in the BB - slightly less obsessive, if anything.
B. Seriously? You never heard of Kirk Douglas? You ought to stay in more.
C. I just did.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 12:52:40 AM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 02:00:25 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 04:02:38 PM »

Well, I gotta admire your inquiring nature - how do you know so many famous people, iin every field, be it music, politics or cinematography? I just now find out who is this Kirk Douglas. While we're at it, can you name your favorite films starring this guy? I'm sure, given how much you're a fan of his, you have seen them all. So?

I'm quite surprised that you haven't heard of Kirk Douglas. You've gotta at least heard of his son Michael Douglas or daughter-in-law Catherine Zeta-Jones
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 09:33:43 PM »

I'm quite surprised that you haven't heard of Kirk Douglas. You've gotta at least heard of his son Michael Douglas or daughter-in-law Catherine Zeta-Jones
In all honesty, if I were to sit down & make a list of films I've seen in total, the number would be somewhere around 300 with %90 being horrors. As for Michael Douglas, is it the guy who played in "The Game"? That one had interesting adventurous plot. Zeta-Jones, I've seen her in "The Haunting" & if I don't mix up, she was in "Chicago" (I liked it more for soundtrack, tho).

While we're here, can you tell me what's your favorite Kirk Douglas films?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 09:34:36 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 11:32:18 PM »

They're in the top post and on the blog.

Michael's his son.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 06:18:22 PM »

In all honesty, if I were to sit down & make a list of films I've seen in total, the number would be somewhere around 300 with %90 being horrors. As for Michael Douglas, is it the guy who played in "The Game"? That one had interesting adventurous plot. Zeta-Jones, I've seen her in "The Haunting" & if I don't mix up, she was in "Chicago" (I liked it more for soundtrack, tho).

While we're here, can you tell me what's your favorite Kirk Douglas films?

Truth be told, the only thing I've seen him in is an episode of The Simpsons where he voices Chester J. Lampwick. Would love to see Paths Of Glory though, and Spartacus is by far his most famous movie.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 10:09:23 AM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 01:59:25 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 10:10:26 AM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 01:59:02 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 10:11:25 AM »

« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 10:48:50 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 06:58:16 PM »

Truth be told, I've only seen him in the simpsons, too. (a classic)
I have not seen any Kirk Douglas movies (whih by def. =classics)
I have heard of (and want to see) Paths of Glory (a classic)
(but I never saw much or any of this film)

Hallie, wuzzup? Missed ya and yer Antics!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 07:07:09 PM »

Truth be told, the only thing I've seen him in is an episode of The Simpsons where he voices Chester J. Lampwick. Would love to see Paths Of Glory though, and Spartacus is by far his most famous movie.
It's kinda like Mel Blanc - classic Disney voiceover actor - voicing cat Heathcliff in the 80s cartoon with 80s-sounding theme. Cool to know that old actors from the 40-50s try themselves in a new modern era, not just fade away reminiscing the past & comparing it with nowadays ("It's bad" & all that stuff). Nevertheless, I'm amazed that you would freak out for someone you never seen in the movie, never met to sign an autograph etc. I thought people feel sad only for those they were familar with via radio, having seen them in concerts/listened to albums (if we talk about musicians), read their biography, what have you. Maybe I'm alone on this & it sounds cruel to say, but grieving over EVERYone seems weird to me.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 07:15:57 PM »

It's kinda like Mel Blanc - classic Disney voiceover actor - voicing cat Heathcliff in the 80s cartoon with 80s-sounding theme. Cool to know that old actors from the 40-50s try themselves in a new modern era, not just fade away reminiscing the past & comparing it with nowadays ("It's bad" & all that stuff). Nevertheless, I'm amazed that you would freak out for someone you never seen in the movie, never met to sign an autograph etc. I thought people feel sad only for those they were familar with via radio, having seen them in concerts/listened to albums (if we talk about musicians), read their biography, what have you. Maybe I'm alone on this & it sounds cruel to say, but grieving over EVERYone seems weird to me.

The guy's still alive, there's no grieving. But he's still a film legend, whether you've seen his work or not; and also one of the last surviving actors from his era.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 07:25:39 PM by BAmBU Dennis » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2014, 07:23:47 PM »

The guy's still alive, there's no grieving. But he's still a film legend, whether you've seen his work or not; and also one of the last surviving from his era.
I know that he's alive, I mean in general. There are people that leave "R.I.P" posts for every famous living being, like they are fans of everyone. Fair enough about "surviving", tho. I sure'd like to live that long.

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2014, 11:19:49 PM »

Even if he was dead, it's not necessarily a matter of grieving, but rather showing some respect for the work of someone admired.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 02:46:01 AM »

my favourite movie of his,?Huh

20,000 Leagues Under The Sea.  also with James Mason.

Bestest Ever.

RickB
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 05:13:27 AM »

Even if he was dead, it's not necessarily a matter of grieving, but rather showing some respect for the work of someone admired.
"Admired" is the keyword. That was along the lines what I was meaning to express, but seems failed. As I said earlier, I brought up that example on the whole, no finger-pointing. I referred more to people who never dug into the works of a famous person, yet feel like making "R.I.P." posts in a thread dedicated to them. It's ubiquitous & shows off as spam. And you, obviously, have known Kirk Douglas an actor for years, read about him, (maybe) seen the interviews etc. So you would show respect.

F.ex., I'd never heard of Gil Scott Heron & Alex St. Clair - would it be logical to show respect for these people? With exaggerated "very sorry to hear"; "I'm very saddened" phrases. Or would it appear insincere, as if I want to show how kind is me, that I'm concerned about each famous celebrity's loss? Exactly.

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 05:45:18 AM »

I have heard some Gil Scott Heron - and liked it - so in his case, I would.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2014, 05:53:38 AM »

Well, color me ignorant, then. Circle of famous people I know is relatively small, even if we count every field, not music alone.

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2014, 08:41:59 AM »

Kirk made some good ones.  He also came from an era where over-acting was [unfortunately] the norm.  He did some of that too.  Seems to me I recall a flick he made with Burt Lancaster where the two of them were playing a couple of old codgers trying to steal a train.  That ring any bells?  Maybe 15-18 years back?

Anyway.  If he can hang in there a little longer he'll soon be looking younger than Michael.  [who's health has improved...I hope]

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2014, 12:42:41 AM »

I think it's awesome that a scene from one of his movies was the inspiration for the song "Big Girls Don't Cry"  Cheesy

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2014, 06:18:50 AM »

I remember watching something with Kirk Douglas and Henry Fonda called THERE WAS A CROOKED MAN on TV when I was in third or fourth grade. It's one of those movies that seems to have disappeared more or less. Would like to see it again.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2014, 01:55:14 PM »

I remember watching something with Kirk Douglas and Henry Fonda called THERE WAS A CROOKED MAN on TV when I was in third or fourth grade. It's one of those movies that seems to have disappeared more or less. Would like to see it again.
There you go. Sorry about the subtitles...

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v115362585eZryGPs?h1=There+Was+A+Crooked+Man
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 01:56:05 PM by john k » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: