gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:14:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys Vinyl Reissues - Capitol/UME Tranche 2  (Read 12470 times)
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« on: December 13, 2014, 02:14:20 AM »

Howdy,

This Thread is to collect and discuss information relating to the next round of The Beach Boys vinyl reissues from Capitol/UME.

At this stage, it is thought that Capitol will be reissuing on vinyl:
- Carl and the Passions
- 15 Big Ones
- MIU
- L.A
- Keepin' the Summer Alive
- BB 85

Target date is 24/02/2015 (or 02/24/2015).

I think.

Sources:
Bullmoose.com and .  Good luck connecting to Bullmoose - I've tried a couple of times and have lucked out once, on my phone on the train (go figure). But feel free to update it you do.

Hoff board

ESQ (Vol 27, #107): review of the current Capitol offerings and noted "There's more to come".  Make of that what you will.

Likelihood: Promising

Assumptions:  If remastered by Ron McMaster, I think we are in for another treat, as per the current Capitol reissues which They sound great: are they AAA? Beats me, let's see what transpires.

Opportunities: let's come together and stand up for SIP to get a vinyl reissue ( LOL)

Anyway, if you hear, read or receive a feed re anything re the good stuff, post here - I will provide to date summaries as we go - cheers - A

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 05:28:36 AM »

Alan, you know I've bought all of the recent vinyl, now I'll need to go buys these!  Seriously, this is great news and along with the Acoustic Sounds stuff all the albums (minus Wild Honey and SIP) have been given the vinyl treatment in the last few years (Amazon has a Wild Honey vinyl with a 2012 release date but I can't find any more info).  I can't believe Capitol/UMe are not publicising these releases more, especially given the fact they've obviously put a fair amount of effort into getting them right.

Let's get SIP on Vinyl to complete the collection!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 08:27:50 AM »

Gotta say there is a wealth of stuff around or pending right now. Doubt very much that I'll buy it all - especially as the Japanese releases seem to be immediately outdated by the Acoustic Sounds stuff - but I wonder whether this increases, delays, or reduces the prospects for expanded releases of individual album deluxe editions with bonus tracks? (And yes, I want to have my cake and eat it, with all the trimmings!).

“We live in divisive times.”
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 11:13:00 AM »

They could tie the deluxe editions in with copyright extension stuff!  I've just about completed my collection of Pastmasters CDs.  Wonder how the new SACDs will compare to those.  And what about my collection of Capitol green label vinyls.  How will they compare to the new vinyl?
Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 11:40:12 AM »

Alan, you know I've bought all of the recent vinyl, now I'll need to go buys these!  Seriously, this is great news and along with the Acoustic Sounds stuff all the albums (minus Wild Honey and SIP) have been given the vinyl treatment in the last few years (Amazon has a Wild Honey vinyl with a 2012 release date but I can't find any more info).  I can't believe Capitol/UMe are not publicising these releases more, especially given the fact they've obviously put a fair amount of effort into getting them right.

Let's get SIP on Vinyl to complete the collection!

I'm guessing the 2012 Wild Honey is a somewhat cheapo looking British import with an EMI logo on the back that I've seen floating around a couple stores in New York.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 11:48:51 AM »

I'm guessing the 2012 Wild Honey is a somewhat cheapo looking British import with an EMI logo on the back that I've seen floating around a couple stores in New York.

I have a 180 gram LP of Wild Honey, but with a big EMI logo on the front.  It has stickers saying Made in England and Limited Edition Simply Vinyl www.simplyvinyl.com.  Not sure when it was released, but I purchased it in Sept. 2006.

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 11:55:12 AM »

Thanks Jesse, it might be that one.  Custom,  I also have the simply vinyl one.  Released in 2001. The cover is quite true to the original.  If the one on Amazon wasn't so expensive I might have taken a chance on it.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 02:33:40 PM »

They could tie the deluxe editions in with copyright extension stuff!  I've just about completed my collection of Pastmasters CDs.  Wonder how the new SACDs will compare to those.  And what about my collection of Capitol green label vinyls.  How will they compare to the new vinyl?
It gets pretty subjective, the old dog ears thing, but the SACDs should/might/may "reveal"  Shocked nuances and tonal subtleties that you may or may not have passed you by on previous listens, and on the whole have a balanced open presentation of the recordings.

We may be talking differences like the differences twixt a $20 shiraz & $60 shiraz - the $20 is still a good drop that you will happily return to but the $60 bottle will (bloody better) contain some qualities that while small (although sometimes massive) can make all the difference.  Although sometimes the $60 can blow. 

The variables are myriad, we'll wait and see - my main wish (aside from world peace and food for the hungry etc) is that these various releases, if of the high quality we're anticipating, have some longevity in the market place and will remain available for sometime, rather than being limited editions that turn up on ebay for 5X the ticket price 2 minutes after the last of the first run leaves the A/S wharehouse.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 07:48:49 PM »

Even sites like Acoustic Sounds and Elusive Disc raise their prices dramatically (3x to 5x original retail) when a limited item is coming to an end. I've actually found much better prices on ebay than what either of them were selling some records for (Frank Sinatra MOFI and Bill Evans AP releases).
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 05:12:49 PM »

- Carl and the Passions
- 15 Big Ones
- MIU
- L.A
- BB 85

Delicious!
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 10:01:30 AM »

I don't understand why these titles would be reissued on vinyl. The originals are readily available, super cheap, and probably sound better than any reissue would.

job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 09:37:37 AM »

I don't understand why these titles would be reissued on vinyl. The originals are readily available, super cheap, and probably sound better than any reissue would.

The originals were released on super thin, crappy vinyl...during the golden years of record company cost cutting.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 02:17:41 AM »

- Carl and the Passions
- 15 Big Ones
- MIU
- L.A
- BB 85

Delicious!

From what I understand, the release date for these 6 items was going to 24 Feb, but is now pushed back to 31 March.  So a bit of breathing space to pay-down some credit card debt Grin

These are now listed on the ubiquitous Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Keepin-Summer-Alive-Beach-Boys/dp/B00TFOKIFO/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1424168093&sr=8-15&keywords=beach+boys+vinyl

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 08:57:17 AM »

The originals were released on super thin, crappy vinyl...during the golden years of record company cost cutting.

Thin Vinyl does not equal bad vinyl. It just warps easier. For the most part, 180G is a hype-train.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2015, 03:49:59 PM »

- Carl and the Passions
- 15 Big Ones
- MIU
- L.A
- BB 85

From what I understand, the release date for these 6 items was going to 24 Feb, but is now pushed back to 31 March.  So a bit of breathing space to pay-down some credit card debt Grin

These are now listed on the ubiquitous Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Keepin-Summer-Alive-Beach-Boys/dp/B00TFOKIFO/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1424168093&sr=8-15&keywords=beach+boys+vinyl

Ach sh**t that's all I need Alan!  I knew the day would come when the rest of these would be out now I'll need these to complete the set (I purchased all the others before Christmas).  The old credit card comes in handy at a time like this.   Roll Eyes
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2015, 10:14:25 PM »

I dont see any point in 15 big ones, miu, light album etc being reissued. I love the BBs , but the post mid 70s material is so hit&miss..
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2015, 02:44:53 AM »

Just thought I'd bump this thread.  These are being released tomorrow apparently.  A search on ebay reveals the album covers with bar codes and UMe logo.  Also on Amazon.

I want these but have originals and also want the next batch of AP stuff!

Happy Easter!
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2015, 05:48:46 PM »

15 Big Ones, MIU, L.A., Keepin' the Summer Alive, and BB 85 were released last Tuesday, March 31st.

Not sure why it didn't see release with the others, but Carl and the Passions is scheduled for a May 12 release.

Sound is excellent on the five released so far.  In the very quick comparisons I made, comparing about 20 seconds of the first track on side one to the same track on an original LP release, I found the sound to be essentially similar to the original releases.  Hopefully Alan will check in with Ron McMaster to confirm that he was once again responsible for the mastering of these new LPs from the original analog tapes.

Packaging is top notch, but unfortunately I am returning MIU and BB 85 for an exchange.  MIU has an odd glitch at the beginning of "Pitter Patter" where the word "It" partially drops out at the beginning of the song.  Hopefully this is a one-time issue with my copy, but it's such an odd sounding glitch that I'm wondering if it could be an LP mastering error.  On BB 85 "It's Just a Matter of Time" has about 2 seconds of irritating non-fill distortion in the right channel, which I don't like to hear but may have been willing to overlook, but that's followed by more scratchy non-fill, at a lower level, during the last 12 seconds of the song.  As I've mentioned before, thick LPs, such as these 180 gram reissues, are much more susceptible to this type of pressing distortion than are regular 120 gram albums, although top notch plants such as QRP rarely have issues with this.

On BB 85 Landy's co-writer credits have been removed from Crack at Your Love, I'm So Lonely, and It's Just a Matter of Time, but the notation "Special thanks to Dr. Eugene E. Landy" remains on the inner sleeve.  I should add that while I said "Sound is excellent on the albums," BB 85 still suffers from an irritating overly bright metallic sound (with a ton of energy around the 2 - 6 KHz range), especially on Getcha Back, which is one of my all time favorite BB tunes.  While this could be attributed to the fact that BB 85 was recorded on 80's digital equipment, I'd place the bulk of the blame on the use of BBE processing, which is claimed to "restore natural brilliance and clarity to an audio signal" but in my opinion seriously degrades a recording by imparting a harsh, brittle sonic signature.  BBE could potentially be useful in some cases for individual instruments, but IMO should never be applied to an entire recording, as it was for the entirety of BB 85.  

The Caribou reissues use the same Brother/Capitol label, mimicking the Brother/Reprise label, that's used on the Brother/Reprise reissues.

For anyone into vinyl I can highly recommend these reissues, although I'm exchanging two of the five LPs due to pressing glitches.  From a surface noise standpoint they aren't quite as quiet as the Analogue Productions QRP reissues (and few LPs are) but they also cost 5 to 7 bucks less.  

One more note to Alan - if you do happen to contact Ron McMaster again, since BB 85 was recorded on a 24 track Sony PCM-3324 digital tape deck, (which I think went for about $100,000 when new, and now goes for just a few hundred bucks or less on eBay), I'd be curious what he used to master the new reissue.  Did he just do it the easy way and pop in a BB 85 CD, or did he use a DAT master of the album, or perhaps a digital file on a hard drive, although in 1985 I don't think there were any hard drives large enough to hold a PCM recording of BB 85.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 05:51:49 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2015, 05:09:29 PM »

Thank you for the feedback Custom. Please let us know how you get on with the returns as I'll be ordering mine from the States and don't fancy having to send them back if the faults are with the whole batch. 
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2015, 01:08:56 PM »

Thank you for the feedback Custom. Please let us know how you get on with the returns as I'll be ordering mine from the States and don't fancy having to send them back if the faults are with the whole batch. 

I ordered the albums from Amazon US, which shipped out new copies the day after I filed a return request.  They also pay for return postage (at least in the US) and give you a month in which to receive your defective LPs in return.  Acoustic Sounds, on the other hand, requires you to pay return shipping and does not ship the replacement(s) until they have received your defective return(s), and even then it can take a week or more for the replacement(s) to ship.

Good luck with your purchase, mikeddonn, hope they are all in pristine condition!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2015, 02:04:49 PM »

Does anybody have any of the Acoustic Sounds 60's albums up through Wild Honey in stereo?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2015, 02:09:39 PM »

Does anybody have any of the Acoustic Sounds 60's albums up through Wild Honey in stereo?

Here's the discussion Mikie.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,16766.400.html

Only the first 5 have been released so far. Still waiting for the next batch.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2015, 02:22:11 PM »

Yeah, does anybody have the first 5 in stereo? I know the monos are desirable for a lot of people, but if I'm gonna spring for 30 bucks a pop, I'll get the stereo versions. And if I'm gonna do that, I'm going to actually PLAY them.

After I upgrade my speakers to $1500 columns and my turntable/stylus. And get two mono block amps or a tube type stereo amp.......

I mean, if I'm gonna enjoy the full effect of that nice warm analog vinyl sound, I gotta pay the price, right?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2015, 02:26:08 PM »

Yeah, does anybody have the first 5 in stereo? I know the monos are desirable for a lot of people, but if I'm gonna spring for 30 bucks a pop, I'll get the stereo versions. And if I'm gonna do that, I'm going to actually PLAY them.

After I upgrade my speakers to $1500 columns and my turntable/stylus. And get two mono block amps or a tube type stereo amp.......

I mean, if I'm gonna enjoy the full effect of that nice warm analog vinyl sound, I gotta pay the price, right?

In other words, you're not buying any of them....

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2015, 02:36:05 PM »

My system now is a very good one. VERY good for enjoying HDTV and Blu-rays and 3D and 5.1 Surround and CD's. If these offerings were all SACD, I'd get a SACD player and call it a day. Good enough. But we're talking high fidelity virgin vinyl here - the best format sonically produced so far for these Beach Boys records. You can't get better than the warm vinyl sound anywhere. No snaps, crackles, or pops. But to enjoy these Acoustic Sounds records, you need a very good stereo system to reproduce the fullest effects of the analog sound of vinyl. ALL the highs, mid range, and lows nuances and details of the vocals and instruments - the best mixes and mastering reproductions money can buy up to this point, right here. You pay for what you get.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 02:50:37 PM by Mikie » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx