gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:05:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The BB fanbase's reaction to Kokomo's success at the time in 1988  (Read 16117 times)
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2014, 11:34:37 PM »

Meh. It's too late.

Too late in the day to keep posting or too late to change Mike? The latter thing is correct, I think.

I was much MUCH more excited when I heard Getcha Back on the radio back in 85.  With the crashing drums and soaring falsetto..  now THAT got me going.  I really thought the Boys were back.  How did  Getcha Back only go to 20 something and Kokomo to number one?  I'll never understand.

Because Kokomo was in a big movie and Getcha Back wasn't? I like Getcha Back much more, even though it is musically less sophisticated and Mike's vocal has a creepier nasality than on Kokomo.
First time I heard Getcha Back on the radio was on a Sunday morning oldies show where new songs were NEVER played, but the DJ made an exception for this one, and yes, it felt like the Boys were back in a big way. I expected that song to go top 10.
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2014, 12:03:19 PM »

I apologize if someone else mentioned this already (I didn't wade through the entire four-page thread).  Many of us obviously believe that Carl's vocals are what made this song memorable.  Those who do (or don't, for that matter) should watch this 1996 youtube video of the Boys on Live with Regis & Kathy Lee.  Listen to the shortened performance of Kokomo and I know you'll savor Carl's live vocals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ySCOM9UeOE
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx