gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680823 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 03:34:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The BB fanbase's reaction to Kokomo's success at the time in 1988  (Read 16246 times)
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2014, 11:11:19 AM »

I went to buy the Cocktail soundtrack because I heard about the Jimmy Cliff tune that was on it ("Shelter of Your Love"), but alas that song was only in the film, not on the soundtrack.  However, I was overjoyed to discover that my fave band was on the soundtrack.  I LOVED "Kokomo" the moment I played it for the first time.  Shortly thereafter it could be heard on every speaker in America.  Loved it then and I love it now.  Those of you with your noses up in the air should drop the pretense and live a little.  It was a NUMBER ONE for a reason.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 11:26:55 AM by The Legendary J-O-B » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2014, 11:25:20 AM »

I agree that Carl's vocal simply makes the song. I've never heard a live version sans Carl that I particularly cared for or connected with at all. Carl was THE man, he brought an air of legitimacy to so many otherwise so-so (or worse) BB songs from that era. I wonder if Carl had done some guest vocals on a song from BW88, if a hit could have possibly been had form that record.

What do you guys think would have happened if Brian had in fact sang some and added some writing contributions to Kokomo? Do you think BB history would have played out any differently if Mike couldn't proudly claim he wrote a #1 without Brian? Probably Mike's ego would have been a tad, just a tad, more in check, but maybe not much else would be different is my guess. I do wonder if Brian really was invited late on purpose to avoid his appearing at all on the song, if Landy had to be involved, or if it really was a case of Landy and/or Brian blowing off the Boys. Maybe a little of both is true.  I do imagine that Mike is happy that he had a #1 without Brian's involvement, and while nobody could have predicted it would have hit #1, I doubt that Mike in hindsight wishes Brian had in any way contributed to the original track.  I can be happy for Mike that he got to prove himself in the way that he did, I just wish there'd have been a helluva lot less self-boasting from 1988-on about it.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 11:26:46 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2014, 11:33:08 AM »

I agree that Carl's vocal simply makes the song. I've never heard a live version sans Carl that I particularly cared for or connected with at all. Carl was THE man, he brought an air of legitimacy to so many otherwise so-so (or worse) BB songs from that era. I wonder if Carl had done some guest vocals on a song from BW88, if a hit could have possibly been had form that record.

What do you guys think would have happened if Brian had in fact sang some and added some writing contributions to Kokomo? Do you think BB history would have played out any differently if Mike couldn't proudly claim he wrote a #1 without Brian? Probably Mike's ego would have been a tad, just a tad, more in check, but maybe not much else would be different is my guess. I do wonder if Brian really was invited late on purpose to avoid his appearing at all on the song, if Landy had to be involved, or if it really was a case of Landy and/or Brian blowing off the Boys. Maybe a little of both is true.  I do imagine that Mike is happy that he had a #1 without Brian's involvement, and while nobody could have predicted it would have hit #1, I doubt that Mike in hindsight wishes Brian had in any way contributed to the original track.  I can be happy for Mike that he got to prove himself in the way that he did, I just wish there'd have been a helluva lot less self-boasting from 1988-on about it.
Just the fact that they had a hit, let alone a #1 hit in 1988 was a big deal. They went 22 years without a #1, so I think Mike can/should be proud of that accomplishment. Having a hand in writing it makes him even more proud.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2014, 11:48:32 AM »

I remember this very well. I went to vegas around the 2nd week of july in 1988. while at a record store there I saw the single for sale. I bought all 7 copies they had (what I did back then and before the fire. anything beach boy related I grabbed). didn't think much about it, esp seeing it was yet another song from a movie. much more interested in brian's lp at that time. billboard had a chart back then with a list of around 50 songs titled hot album tracks or something like that. I watched love and mercy while it was on that chart. around august suddenly I notice kokomo was on it. then the following month it was on the 45 chart. then it seemed to explode. was happy for the group. I went to vegas again in last week of October 1988 to see them at Caesar's. I taped one of the shows, I think it was the 28th. I was in the front row in front of mike. he announced kokomo was going to be #1 the next week in billboard. he really seemed happy announcing that. I was glad for the group, the song sounded ok on the radio, people seemed to dig it and carl's singing made it for me. nice for the time. got sick of it later but at the time, for me, it was a nice success.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 11:50:12 AM by Steve Mayo » Logged

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2014, 11:50:08 AM »

What do you guys think would have happened if Brian had in fact sang some and added some writing contributions to Kokomo? Do you think BB history would have played out any differently if Mike couldn't proudly claim he wrote a #1 without Brian? Probably Mike's ego would have been a tad, just a tad, more in check, but maybe not much else would be different is my guess. I do wonder if Brian really was invited late on purpose to avoid his appearing at all on the song, if Landy had to be involved, or if it really was a case of Landy and/or Brian blowing off the Boys. Maybe a little of both is true.  I do imagine that Mike is happy that he had a #1 without Brian's involvement, and while nobody could have predicted it would have hit #1, I doubt that Mike in hindsight wishes Brian had in any way contributed to the original track.  I can be happy for Mike that he got to prove himself in the way that he did, I just wish there'd have been a helluva lot less self-boasting from 1988-on about it.
Just the fact that they had a hit, let alone a #1 hit in 1988 was a big deal. They went 22 years without a #1, so I think Mike can/should be proud of that accomplishment. Having a hand in writing it makes him even more proud.

No, I totally get that. It just becomes off-putting (and I'm sure I'm not alone) to continually be specifically reminded by Mike that he wrote it sans Brian, the fact of which if not outright stated as such, at the very least gets alluded to in interviews quite a bit.  It's hard to stomach IMHO, but is what it is, ultimately. Regardless, guilty pleasure or not, I do dig me some studio Kokomo.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2014, 11:53:17 AM »

Those of you with your noses up in the air should drop the pretense and live a little.  It was a NUMBER ONE for a reason.

I'm pretty sure in my case it isn't pretense or my nose up in the air that prevents me from liking it. That same year I bought an LP by another band, and I liked all songs on it but one which I thought was terrible. Couldn't even stand listening to it. That song was issued as a single the following January and went to #1. Shocked I can stand listening to Kokomo! Smiley

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2014, 12:21:44 PM »

What do you guys think would have happened if Brian had in fact sang some and added some writing contributions to Kokomo? Do you think BB history would have played out any differently if Mike couldn't proudly claim he wrote a #1 without Brian? Probably Mike's ego would have been a tad, just a tad, more in check, but maybe not much else would be different is my guess. I do wonder if Brian really was invited late on purpose to avoid his appearing at all on the song, if Landy had to be involved, or if it really was a case of Landy and/or Brian blowing off the Boys. Maybe a little of both is true.  I do imagine that Mike is happy that he had a #1 without Brian's involvement, and while nobody could have predicted it would have hit #1, I doubt that Mike in hindsight wishes Brian had in any way contributed to the original track.  I can be happy for Mike that he got to prove himself in the way that he did, I just wish there'd have been a helluva lot less self-boasting from 1988-on about it.

No, I totally get that. It just becomes off-putting (and I'm sure I'm not alone) to continually be specifically reminded by Mike that he wrote it sans Brian, the fact of which if not outright stated as such, at the very least gets alluded to in interviews quite a bit.  It's hard to stomach IMHO, but is what it is, ultimately. Regardless, guilty pleasure or not, I do dig me some studio Kokomo.
Writing it without Brian is the truth. Not off-putting in the least. It's Mike's story to tell, one all his own, at least within band itself. It really is the one and only time they did it without Brian.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2014, 01:03:24 PM »

No, I totally get that. It just becomes off-putting (and I'm sure I'm not alone) to continually be specifically reminded by Mike that he wrote it sans Brian, the fact of which if not outright stated as such, at the very least gets alluded to in interviews quite a bit.  It's hard to stomach IMHO, but is what it is, ultimately. Regardless, guilty pleasure or not, I do dig me some studio Kokomo.
Writing it without Brian is the truth. Not off-putting in the least. It's Mike's story to tell, one all his own, at least within band itself. It really is the one and only time they did it without Brian.

Again, I'm speaking from just my opinion, and I'd hope you would also feel that what your stating is merely your opinion as well. IMO, you're right about all of your statements  in your last post, with the exception of that the specific Brian-less fact has been driven home by Mike and into the heads' of people reading/seeing interviews just a few too many times, past the point of which it becomes slightly ridiculous - and thus becomes less about stating a simple informative fact that it *happened* to have been written without Brian, and comes off more as somewhat egotistical bragging (ad naseum). If you do not see it as egotistical bragging, I do question what repeated actions/words a given musician would have to do/say for you to quantify their actions as such.  

Hell, maybe it's an indirect result of Mike being legitimately screwed over for credits for so long, and if that's the case, I can "get" the guy's Kokomo self-boasting actions a bit more, but nevertheless I still find them a bit ridiculous and over-the-top.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 01:11:57 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2014, 01:47:27 PM »

No, I totally get that. It just becomes off-putting (and I'm sure I'm not alone) to continually be specifically reminded by Mike that he wrote it sans Brian, the fact of which if not outright stated as such, at the very least gets alluded to in interviews quite a bit.  It's hard to stomach IMHO, but is what it is, ultimately. Regardless, guilty pleasure or not, I do dig me some studio Kokomo.

Again, I'm speaking from just my opinion, and I'd hope you would also feel that what your stating is merely your opinion as well. IMO, you're right about all of your statements  in your last post, with the exception of that the specific Brian-less fact has been driven home by Mike and into the heads' of people reading/seeing interviews just a few too many times, past the point of which it becomes slightly ridiculous - and thus becomes less about stating a simple informative fact that it *happened* to have been written without Brian, and comes off more as somewhat egotistical bragging (ad naseum). If you do not see it as egotistical bragging, I do question what repeated actions/words a given musician would have to do/say for you to quantify their actions as such. 

Hell, maybe it's an indirect result of Mike being legitimately screwed over for credits for so long, and if that's the case, I can "get" the guy's Kokomo self-boasting actions a bit more, but nevertheless I still find them a bit ridiculous and over-the-top.
My second sentence is strictly my opinion, but everything else is pure fact. You are entitled to feel anyway you want. I am not trying to get in another pissing match of Brian vs Mike. This thread is to talk about Kokomo and how we reacted to it in 1988.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2014, 03:10:05 PM »

I was heavily into Brian's first (and best, imo) solo album when Kokomo came out. I thought the song was great, catchy as hell and this whole negative association with the song among Beach Boys fanatics today didn't exist back then. There was, of course, a pocket of hardcore fans who didn't like ANYTHING Brian wasn't involved in. I guess they tolerated the Spanish version.

Pretty much everyone agreed that the Still Cruisin' album was a wet fart.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2014, 03:14:52 PM »

I was heavily into Brian's first (and best, imo) solo album when Kokomo came out. I thought the song was great, catchy as hell and this whole negative association with the song among Beach Boys fanatics today didn't exist back then. There was, of course, a pocket of hardcore fans who didn't like ANYTHING Brian wasn't involved in. I guess they tolerated the Spanish version.

Pretty much everyone agreed that the Still Cruisin' album was a wet fart.

I think the Still Cruisin' album is better than a wet fart; I'd argue it's a legit guilty pleasure, for me at least. Or maybe about 5 songs are. But not sure how I'd have felt if I'd been into the band at the time. I find that appreciating a subpar BB album (as best you can, with a product that has some major flaws but still a good amount of decent stuff) like the Still Cruisin' album or MIU Album is easier in hindsight, if the listener discovers the album years later without the weight and disappointment of expectation of what could've been at the time of release.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 03:29:46 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2014, 03:28:37 PM »

Again, I'm speaking from just my opinion, and I'd hope you would also feel that what your stating is merely your opinion as well. IMO, you're right about all of your statements  in your last post, with the exception of that the specific Brian-less fact has been driven home by Mike and into the heads' of people reading/seeing interviews just a few too many times, past the point of which it becomes slightly ridiculous - and thus becomes less about stating a simple informative fact that it *happened* to have been written without Brian, and comes off more as somewhat egotistical bragging (ad naseum). If you do not see it as egotistical bragging, I do question what repeated actions/words a given musician would have to do/say for you to quantify their actions as such.  

My second sentence is strictly my opinion, but everything else is pure fact. You are entitled to feel anyway you want. I am not trying to get in another pissing match of Brian vs Mike. This thread is to talk about Kokomo and how we reacted to it in 1988.

drbeachboy: Not trying to get in another pissing match of Brian vs Mike either, and what I was stating really has nothing to do Brian either, so it's not a "versus" situation at all; I just find it legitimately surprising to hear another fan say that Mike does not sound egotistically bragging when for 25+ years continually specifically bringing up the Brian-less nature of the song... so my honest, non-inflammatory question (which remains unanswered) to you was, what would a person who believes this, such as yourself, actually think a hypothetical example of egotistically bragging would be? Whether by Mike or someone else? Or maybe you're of the mindset that egotistical bragging is a concept that simply does not exist by anyone ever - I don't know. I'm curious.

Feel free not to answer again if you really don't want to, but just know that I was not trying to start a pissing match, and truly was just trying to understand the logic and mindset of your opposing viewpoint.  When we calmly can discuss why we feel the ways that we do, we can understand each other a bit better, even if we ultimately won't agree.

(I should add that the original topic of this thread, which I started, was in fact what I intended to discuss, and there was no "ulterior" motive, in case you somehow think there was - but if, in conversation, another question/tangent is posed, I don't see why some imaginary "rules" about what a thread is initially about have to be strictly adhered to. I do get that many threads have been derailed by Mike "bashing", but please trust me when I say that's not my intention.  
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 03:34:37 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2014, 03:36:04 PM »

"if the listener discovers the album years later without the weight and disappointment of expectation of what could've been at the time of release."  Ain't that the TRUTH.  To come in after the fact is to look at the situation and to hear the music entirely differently.  There can be no comparison.

The music can be evaluated in terms of what it was ... compared to what actually existed at that given time.

To judge it without that key perspective will, though, be the reality going forward...forever and a day.  Our 'geezer' perspective is accurate and correct...and DATED.  So what?  Art or fun?  In 1988 we had both...and the public?  They wanted fun.  Kokomo delivered...and succeeded.  The old time fans, by and large, wanted art.  Brian delivered.  The success rate was BIG with the 'geezers'.

Having Jeff Lynne along for the ride didn't hurt.  One For the Boys was terrific.  Our Prayer...1988 style.  Melt Away?  Oh ya.  Rio Grande?  We hadn't heard anything THIS adventurous since Holland, Carl and the Passions, Surf's Up and Sunflower.  Kokomo was nice.  It was terrific that the BOYS were riding another wave.  Brian Wilson delivered a whole lot more though.  He still does. Cool
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 03:56:59 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2014, 07:23:19 PM »

hhh

Again, I'm speaking from just my opinion, and I'd hope you would also feel that what your stating is merely your opinion as well. IMO, you're right about all of your statements  in your last post, with the exception of that the specific Brian-less fact has been driven home by Mike and into the heads' of people reading/seeing interviews just a few too many times, past the point of which it becomes slightly ridiculous - and thus becomes less about stating a simple informative fact that it *happened* to have been written without Brian, and comes off more as somewhat egotistical bragging (ad naseum). If you do not see it as egotistical bragging, I do question what repeated actions/words a given musician would have to do/say for you to quantify their actions as such. 

drbeachboy: Not trying to get in another pissing match of Brian vs Mike either, and what I was stating really has nothing to do Brian either, so it's not a "versus" situation at all; I just find it legitimately surprising to hear another fan say that Mike does not sound egotistically bragging when for 25+ years continually specifically bringing up the Brian-less nature of the song... so my honest, non-inflammatory question (which remains unanswered) to you was, what would a person who believes this, such as yourself, actually think a hypothetical example of egotistically bragging would be? Whether by Mike or someone else? Or maybe you're of the mindset that egotistical bragging is a concept that simply does not exist by anyone ever - I don't know. I'm curious.

Feel free not to answer again if you really don't want to, but just know that I was not trying to start a pissing match, and truly was just trying to understand the logic and mindset of your opposing viewpoint.  When we calmly can discuss why we feel the ways that we do, we can understand each other a bit better, even if we ultimately won't agree.

(I should add that the original topic of this thread, which I started, was in fact what I intended to discuss, and there was no "ulterior" motive, in case you somehow think there was - but if, in conversation, another question/tangent is posed, I don't see why some imaginary "rules" about what a thread is initially about have to be strictly adhered to. I do get that many threads have been derailed by Mike "bashing", but please trust me when I say that's not my intention. 
Honestly, I like that all of the Beach Boys are different from each other. People have personalities. Mike tends to brag, Brian tends to understate his genius. Carl was thoughtful and gave measured responses. Al has a down to Earth, every guy quality. Dennis was cool, tough, but tender hearted. This is what makes them fascinating to me. It makes them human. It is why I love learning about the band, as well as the music. They are not cookie cutter, stepford men. They are real people, with real issues and real gifts.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2014, 08:02:19 PM »

I don't remember "bragging" about Kokomo anymore than any other of the group's #1s. I don't remember Mike hogging the credit either. He has careful explained what specifically he did and what others did as far as I remember. I think you have exaggerated that in your memory.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2014, 09:08:51 PM »

Yeah, sure.  3D
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 09:14:31 PM by The LEGENDARY OSD » Logged

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2014, 09:23:47 PM »

I don't remember "bragging" about Kokomo anymore than any other of the group's #1s. I don't remember Mike hogging the credit either. He has careful explained what specifically he did and what others did as far as I remember. I think you have exaggerated that in your memory.

Really? The man still brings up "Kokomo" every chance he gets. It's been.....what....26 years!

Shoot, that would be like Steve Winwood, spending the last quarter century sayin', "yeah he was big in the '60s, but guess what guys....I wrote and recorded 'Higher Love' in '85, and IT WAS A HUGE HIT! Can you believe it?! Without The Spencer Davis Group or Traffic or Blind Faith! Just me baby! And oh yeah, did you know I wrote 'Back in the High Life' too? How 'bout that?"

Thing is, those were big fuckin' hits. Steve Winwood is a '60s rock legend, and he basically reinvented his sound to have a soul-pop '80s sheen (and I dig it honestly). However, you don't see Steve Winwood going everywhere telling people he wrote "Higher Love". First off because that's nearly thirty years ago. And even more likely because he's secure in himself. Unfortunately, Mike Love is most likely very, very insecure. At least judging by the fact that he won't take off his hat in public because he's embarrassed of his baldness, the fact that he wears ballcaps with his own bands name on it, and  the fact that he nearly always mentions The Beatles even when talking about his oh-so-sacred commitment to meditation. Not to mention he always seems to have to remind us what songs he co-wrote. I don't know. I don't see Mick Jagger pestering everybody saying, "hey....psst, hey...I wrote 'Satisfaction' and 'Honky Tonk Woman', you know that right? I'm a big deal."

Shame. But no...Mike never talks about "Kokomo", and definitely wasn't insanely egotistical after it became a hit in the late '80s. And no, there's not any evidence on YouTube of how batshit he was during this era.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 11:40:02 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2014, 10:24:02 PM »

Shame. But no...Mike never talks about "Kokomo", and definitely wasn't insanely egotistical after it became a hit in the late '80s. And no, there's not any evidence on YouTube of how batshit he was during this era.

Calm down. That's not what he wrote. Getting upset about this won't get you anywhere or do you any good.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 10:26:27 PM by Micha » Logged

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2014, 11:39:39 PM »

Calm down. That's not what he wrote. Getting upset about this won't get you anywhere or do you any good.

Hahah. Cute. Calm down? Yeah, I'm sooo worked up about this. Veins just poppin' out my forehead.

Check it. Dude said he didn't remember Mike bragging. I pointed out that this wasn't exactly the case.

So chill out. Okay? Please just settle down. Don't get worked up about all this stuff. Where's it gonna getcha?
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2014, 12:20:04 AM »

Dude said he didn't remember Mike bragging.

The way you phrased it makes it seem he said Mike didn't bragg at all. In fact he said:

I don't remember "bragging" about Kokomo anymore than any other of the group's #1s.

See? Cam admits that Mike bragged about Kokomo - and I say Mike will bragg about it in interviews as long as he lives. And as you pointed out in one of your posts, that is part of the reason he is not as respected as other artists who don't bragg. Or not as much at least; I remember a Paul McCartney interviews many years ago where I thought "Now he's bragging a little", but admittedly not as obstinately as Mike does.

Mike's bragging doesn't bug me that much though. Let him try to get his piece of the cake.

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2014, 01:01:25 AM »

I don't know. It just ultimately bugs me because it makes me feel like even The Beach Boys themselves consider themselves second-class.

Like, why does this guy gotta always bring up The Beatles? Why bring up the 1966 poll? Why bring up a fluke '80s hit in so many interviews. You're one of the two main recognizable voices in The Beach Boys, and everybody knows who your group is. We don't need all this outside garbage to convince us, Doctor Love. It's too bad that he doesn't realize that a lot of the world already gives him props. He's got a big piece of "the cake" as you say. Why can't he be happy with being the lead singer, and sometimes lyricist of the greatest American band ever. How is that not good enough?

Meh. It's too late. I feel that Mike's attempts at gaining "relevance" or "cool points" usually ends up with him and/or the group usually looking even tackier.
Watch a Cave
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2014, 07:19:06 AM »

I was about 17 when this song came out and was already a die hard fan.. I tried really hard to like it.. but ultimately the song did nothing for me.  I could never get into the whole "tropical" thing at all.  And that sax solo made me want to gag.  Basically the song was too wimpy for me.

I was much MUCH more excited when I heard Getcha Back on the radio back in 85.  With the crashing drums and soaring falsetto..  now THAT got me going.  I really thought the Boys were back.  How did  Getcha Back only go to 20 something and Kokomo to number one?  I'll never understand.

That being said I do enjoy Carl's part and I was secretly happy they got a number one out of it.  And probably lots of new fans.  But to this day the song still does nothing for me and I have never placed it on any personal compilations.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 07:24:12 AM by Watch a Cave » Logged
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2014, 07:25:23 AM »

I was much MUCH more excited when I heard Getcha Back on the radio back in 85.  With the crashing drums and soaring falsetto..  now THAT got me going.  I really thought the Boys were back.  

Although I have stated my love for Kokomo at the time and now, I do have to agree here...I was really into the Getcha Back/R&R To the Rescue/California Dreamin' run.  It seemed like the band was working well again.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2014, 12:52:45 AM »

It still bugs me to this day that the guys could get a #1 record in 1988, and have no clue how to follow it up! They should have had another single out just as "Kokomo" fell off the chart. By the time "Still Cruisin" came out the next summer, a lot of the momentum had gone. I was really hoping that having a hit record would inspire them to do something really creative, a new album, not just another compilation.

This is all water under the bridge by this point of course but I wish they would've followed it up with an album comprising the best of BW88, Kokomo, maybe one or two Al or Carl compositions... I think this might've turned out really great.
I was foolish enough back then to think the guys would be motivated to come up with an all new album of the same quality of BW88 or Holland...or even LA. I was so young and naïve...but I learned real fast after Still Cruisin' came out.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2014, 01:42:01 AM »

Meh. It's too late.

Too late in the day to keep posting or too late to change Mike? The latter thing is correct, I think.

I was much MUCH more excited when I heard Getcha Back on the radio back in 85.  With the crashing drums and soaring falsetto..  now THAT got me going.  I really thought the Boys were back.  How did  Getcha Back only go to 20 something and Kokomo to number one?  I'll never understand.

Because Kokomo was in a big movie and Getcha Back wasn't? I like Getcha Back much more, even though it is musically less sophisticated and Mike's vocal has a creepier nasality than on Kokomo.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx