gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:53:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Had to Phone Ya is Good Vibrations good  (Read 7168 times)
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« on: December 12, 2014, 08:36:19 AM »

Cool

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 09:04:08 AM »

It's actually quite a strange production, too. It's like some weird mix of old-fashioned/'50s elements and really spacey Love You-ness.That said, I enjoy it.

I do think that for the song to be a true stone cold classic, those transitions into the bridge and outro would need to be smoothed out some. It's not bad as is, but feels a bit rough. I'd like to see something like this:

Feels so good when you come on the line
Yeah, you
you
(you)...

Mike bass vocal: If you'd just
C'mon, c'mon and answer the phone
C'mon, c'mon (I hope you're home)

Just a few tiny musical bits to bring it all together, y'know?

Mr. Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 09:09:48 AM »

Nah, I love the cut and paste transitions as is. That song is damn perfect.
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 09:38:43 AM »

I would love to hear a "faders up" remix on this track ala the 2013 mix of Rock & Roll Music.  I'd wager there's some stuff buried that we've never heard...
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 12:03:40 PM »

What makes you say that, Steve? Have you heard that there is apparently more there on tape...?

Genuinely curious, by the way! I love this track. It totally washed over me the first few times I heard it, and then click: I got it.

Brilliant.

And I like that it's the final resting place of that Trombone Dixie idea from Pet Sounds, too. Although I like Had To Phone You way, way more than Trombone Dixie. It's like the idea was finally properly realised.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 12:05:50 PM by Matt Bielewicz » Logged
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 12:33:45 PM »

<<What makes you say that, Steve? Have you heard that there is apparently more there on tape...?>>

Mere curiosity.  I'm still astounded by the new mix of R&R Music... and all that was left buried in the 1976 single mix (including that falsetto - which is just barely audible on the original version).

It just has me thinking, wondering if the entire 15 BIG ONES album might be a very different, dense and spectacular sounding record after a similar remix.

it's already happened once... hearing SMILEY SMILE in stereo turns it from a muddled, simplistic Smile knock-off to an incredibly complex, avant-garde piece of pop music which really stands on it's own.

15 BIG ONES, to me, since buying it in 1976, has always sounded fun but half-assed and tired in many places... simplistic and sloppy.  But a new remix might reveal additional layers of vocals and instruments heretofore buried.  It would still be an odd collection of songs, but a significantly richer one.  And with all of the unreleased tracks, quite a spectacular set.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 12:44:29 PM »

<<What makes you say that, Steve? Have you heard that there is apparently more there on tape...?>>

Mere curiosity.  I'm still astounded by the new mix of R&R Music... and all that was left buried in the 1976 single mix (including that falsetto - which is just barely audible on the original version).

It just has me thinking, wondering if the entire 15 BIG ONES album might be a very different, dense and spectacular sounding record after a similar remix.

it's already happened once... hearing SMILEY SMILE in stereo turns it from a muddled, simplistic Smile knock-off to an incredibly complex, avant-garde piece of pop music which really stands on it's own.

15 BIG ONES, to me, since buying it in 1976, has always sounded fun but half-assed and tired in many places... simplistic and sloppy.  But a new remix might reveal additional layers of vocals and instruments heretofore buried.  It would still be an odd collection of songs, but a significantly richer one.  And with all of the unreleased tracks, quite a spectacular set.

I think the backing tracks of 15 Big Ones (at least a good number of them) are probably among the most underrated in the BB cannon. Even if there's some sloppy stuff happening, there's some true brilliance hidden if you listen closely. In The Still of the Night for example.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 12:47:33 PM »

How they could bury that falsetto so deep in the mix is an absolute mystery to me.

I'm a big fan of 15BO but only warmed up to the album after years of listening. Pretty sure '76/'77 was another (if short-lived) creative peak for Brian and although 15BO features mostly cover versions some of Brian's arrangements/production choices are truly exceptional I think. So yes, would absolutely love to hear a "hot mix" of the entire album!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 12:49:16 PM »

How they could bury that falsetto so deep in the mix is an absolute mystery to me.

I'm a big fan of 15BO but only warmed up to the album after years of listening. Pretty sure '76/'77 was another (if short-lived) creative peak for Brian and although 15BO features mostly cover versions some of Brian's arrangements/production choices are truly exceptional I think. So yes, would absolutely love to hear a "hot mix" of the entire album!
Is JOIML backing track available anywhere?

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 01:31:29 PM »

There's definitely stuff buried under there. Hell, took me years to notice that there are DRUMS on the recording pretty much throughout! And the little dialogue that you can baaaaaaaaarely hear during the fadeout:

BRIAN: Hello?
[voice on phone, probably either Diane or Marilyn]: Hey, Brian! [song cuts off]

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 01:40:29 PM »

muddled, simplistic Smile knock-off

Everything  that guy just said is bullspit. Thank you.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 02:39:41 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqoPfxTX7Rk

A remixed 15BO would be cool, although I think a release of the outtakes would be just as great - can't go wrong with Short Skirts.  Grin
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 02:42:56 PM by Dudd » Logged

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2014, 03:03:32 PM »

There's definitely stuff buried under there. Hell, took me years to notice that there are DRUMS on the recording pretty much throughout! And the little dialogue that you can baaaaaaaaarely hear during the fadeout:

BRIAN: Hello?
[voice on phone, probably either Diane or Marilyn]: Hey, Brian! [song cuts off]

I think it's Marilyn and I'm pretty sure she says hello as well.

Not GV good for me but an excellent song. Backing track is good too although it's missing those extra percussion hits I like in the complete version.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2014, 04:24:07 PM »

This is what the Beach Boys would have worn if they were around in the early 50s.  [NO...That is NOT Murry]  

[/quote]

Then 'Had to Phone Ya' would have been from 25 Big Ones.  One of the nifty moments from 15 Big-Uns for sure.  But I also very much like 'It's OK' and Palisades Park, 'That Same Song', 'A Casual Look' and 'Back Home'.

6 out of 15.  Not bad...at least by today's standards. Cool Guy

Comparable to 'Good Vibrations' though?  LOL
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 12:05:34 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2014, 09:48:34 PM »

Bckng trck is superior. Assuming you meant the v-n w/ vox, it's certainly not akin to GV. 'Tis more like "Anna Lee The Healer", same level in my scale of rating.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2014, 04:19:16 AM »

Don't undersell it guys, it's pretty clear that it's a slice of life modular masterpiece.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2014, 03:03:45 AM »

It's not, but it is gooooooooooooood and I love it.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2014, 05:28:12 AM »

Don't undersell it guys, it's pretty clear that it's a slice of life modular masterpiece.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2014, 05:30:43 AM »

In production it is a marvel. The quality of the vocals does not touch GV. The lyrical content is much more meaningful than GV, which is a hit wheras Had To Phone Ya is not an ambitious avant garde piece but a small pop symphony about a topic which is much more down-to-earth and 'relatable'. Who doesn't want to hear the person they love on the phone?

Beautiful little piece with beautiful simple, meaningful lyrics. I like it more than GV.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 08:16:09 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2014, 08:24:12 AM »

All This Is That boot, or so I'm told.

As for "HTPY" being "GV" good... in the opinion of the OP, maybe. In the real world, no way.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 08:26:21 AM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2014, 02:05:18 PM »

Along with the Slip On Through vocal track and Guess I'm Dumb, Had To Phone Ya is a joy to listen to. Very different, but very Brian track. I love the strings on it.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
BillA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2014, 08:42:54 PM »

Had To Phone Ya instrumental track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDr2jZzirw4

Just wow

In 1974 Mike Love's concept album Endless Summer ignited a second generation of Beach Boys fans and stirred a comeback that rocked the music world.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2014, 12:21:20 AM »

Had To Phone Ya isn't even Carl's Big Chance good....

No mas, por favor.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2014, 07:01:47 AM »

Had To Phone Ya isn't even Carl's Big Chance good....

THAT'S a little rough.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2014, 09:22:01 AM »

All This Is That boot, or so I'm told.

That's what I like most about this place - being thanked when you answer someone's question...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx