gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 11:36:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Contemporary Songs by 60s Artists  (Read 1853 times)
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 11, 2014, 08:12:31 AM »

A thread on the main board got me thinking about 60s artists who craft very good songs in the 21st century. These songs may not match the output of their 60s work, but they are still quite strong. Please feel free to add to the list, or even question these choices:

Bob Dylan, "Mississippi"
Brian Wilson, "Midnight's Another Day"
Paul McCartney, "Jenny Wren"
Neil Young, "Ramada Inn"
Randy Newman, "Losing You"
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 08:32:36 AM »

A case could be made for

Leonard Cohen
Scott Walker
John Cale
Van Dyke Parks
Vashti Bunyan
David Bowie had his first hit in the 1960s too.

Edit: sorry I didn't name any songs, hopefully people who are bigger fans of these artists than me will better be able to name their best songs.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 08:33:56 AM by unreleased backgrounds » Logged

Please delete my account
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 04:29:41 PM »

I agree with most of the above-named artists (though not necessarily the songs) as being capable of still making very good music. If you extend slightly to guys who started their pop careers in the '70s--which still means their recording careers are 35-45 years old, meaning they're not spring chickens by any means--you add in people like Tom Waits, Elvis Costello, Prince, Bruce Springsteen, and enough others that I'll just stop rather than try to be complete about it.

That said, I think pop musicians (and maybe artists in general) are in a terrible position in some ways as they extend their careers, especially if they had any semblance of fame at some point. Their work is always compared to their earlier work, whether for quality or (maybe more dangerously) for style. Dramatic reinventions almost inevitably lead to allegations of desperation, of losing their magic. Yet staying the course means they're tilling the same earth again and again, maybe refining but almost certainly repeating, losing a spark. I am increasingly of the opinion that there is no winning, and the best thing to do is whatever the f*** you want, even if it alienates the people who consider themselves hardcore fans. Trying to chase anyone's approval, be it long-time admirers, critics, new fans, the general pop base (if there is one anymore), it's all useless as time goes on. We see that every day in the absurd childish spats the main forum of this board experiences. Literally, pleasing A by doing X will offend B. Every time.

What we often see are these musicians becoming better and better craftsmen, making better work from what seems from the outside to be lesser inspiration.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 04:56:10 AM »

I am increasingly of the opinion that there is no winning, and the best thing to do is whatever the f*** you want, [...]. Trying to chase anyone's approval, [...], it's all useless as time goes on.

sums it up for me.

Please delete my account
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 05:40:34 AM »

Vashti Bunyan
It's a new name for me, so I checked this artist. Interesting she got recording deal with the RS, covered their rarity "Some Things Just Stick in Your Mind", from "Metamorphosis" (good song collection in gen.). So anyway, when I got to the bottom, discography section, I found she released an album just this year & prior in 2005. And huge gap between them & the 1st album in 1970. Either due to remastering of her albums or fine engineering/clear sound, I can't detect the diff. between then & now. It's like they were all recorded ages ago. She seems to have retained her young voice. She has uh...vintage folk style (is it a right term?). That's why I was unsure for a bit of her inclusion to this very topic. Never mind, at least I've got to learn about another chanteuse of the 60s. Thanks, au bord!

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 11:44:17 AM »

Paul McCartney just came out with a song called "Hope for the Future" which I think is one of the best songs he's done in a while.  Better than anything on NEW (though I very much liked NEW).  His two original songs for Kisses on the Bottom, "Only Our Hearts" and "My Valentine" are also favorites of mine.

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 05:42:39 AM »

I'm more of an albums guy.  [like for about 45 years now...the top 40...and top 30 are only of interest]

Artists who had materials happening in the 60s  [and just into the 70s] are still putting out some decent new music.  Like...

Ray Davies
John Kay
Cat 'Yusuf' Stevens
Steve Miller
Boz Scaggs
Joe Walsh
Robert Plant [Man that guy can SING...and versatile?  Whew!!!]
Neil Diamond
Brian Wilson [and the Beach Boys a couple of years ago.]
Eric Clapton

I'm trying to avoid mentioning artists not already referred to in the thread.

I've seen Mark Lindsay and Peter Noone show up on a relatively recent tribute album to the Who.

Glen Campbell [until he got sick]
Joni Mitchell [occasionally]
Stevie Wonder
Dion [although the quality levels have begun to drop some.  He ain't no spring chicken]
Tom Jones
Judy Collins
The Stones
Eric Burdon [...And...I actually caught him live in late November...He's still got the chops]
Paul Simon [every now and then]
I even found one that David Clayton Thomas did a couple of yeras ago.  [It's OK...especially as a surprise for a Blood Sweat and Tears fan from back in the day]
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 05:45:44 AM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 12:26:30 PM »

I think it's really, really hard for artists (which is the perfect word) to pull this off (be as good now as they were in the 60's).  Their lives are entirely different, everything has changed and it's hard to have that 'hunger' that made them so successful when they started out. 

Carl Wilson is a great example, for years we kind of held him up as the artistically pure one, everything he did in the 60's and 70's was pretty respectable, then in the 80's he's doing songs for the Problem Child soundtrack. 

Well, he had kids!  he was middle aged.  He was rich.  Everything changed... so to him, it was probably a good idea.  As fans we're all going "what the f***Huh".

Dylan is the most interesting to me, because in my opinion, he's the anti-, anti-establishment guy.  People claim he sold out but he never was about that to begin with, he was PRESENTED as a rebel but in my opinion didn't seem to care how he was seen or didn't want to have to play up to that rebel stereotype.  It puts him in a unique position, where more than most other artists his music in my ears can still come off as very pure to him even when it's largely commercial or completely different than something he's done before.  The stereotypes he's not living up to with some of his music he never presented in the first place.  Hard to explain; I guess my point is a lot of artists come off as hypocritical when they change their style but Dylan doesn't.

Paul is an interesting example too, because in my opinion he's the most talented singer songwriter alive and has been since he turned 20.  It's hard for me to be critical at all of his new music because when you're on the level he's on (greatest living musical legend) it's almost like we're peons and should be happy for anything he gives us!  He also has ENORMOUS street cred in my opinion because of what he did with Wings in the 70's; spent a decade making music that a lot of people would consider throw away, but was still just as entertaining and talented as his pop masterpieces with the Beatles.  So yeah, something like Jenny Wren I listen to in awe and think this is how it must have been to experience Picasso or Da Vinci while they were still alive. 

Another interesting this is, the guys in the 60's changed music because their style was so solid.  So Dylan for instance of course borrowed everything, but there was nobody quite like him, before him.  He blew everybody away in the 60's... he can't do that again, with his style and talent because there's somebody like him, before him, now... himself 50 years ago.  No new ground to expand into...

Same thing with Paul, a lot of the love he gets, to be honest, is because in America we weren't familiar with British pop stars, and especially ones that talented.  So everything from the Beatles energy in their music, to the way they borrowed their English'd-up american R&B and put it into their sound, to even the way they talked, dressed, and behaved was so foreign to American audiences at the time, it just Blew. Us. Away!  Nobody, even Paul himself can live up to that because we've seen the British pop thing done very well by tons of different people ever since. 

So it's pretty hard to judge any 60's act vs. their current stuff because the music scene is so different.... however, when it gets right down to it, brass tacks and all, most of those guys (and gals) made it big because they were talented, and most of them are still every bit as talented as they ever were... it just doesn't stand out in as stark of contrast because the way the world's changed around them.

Can McCartney, Dylan, etc. still write a good song?  Hell yeah... but will it be as groundbreaking as that same song presented to a 1965 audience?  Doubtful. 
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx