gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:23:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: California was, is and always THE rock capital..  (Read 3084 times)
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: December 10, 2014, 10:28:34 PM »

After the BBs lit the torch in 63, fifteen yrs later great bands like the Surf Punks, Dickies and Weirdos... the torch'll never go out..
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 03:33:07 AM »

Your equating The Dickies with The Beach Boys is amusingly misguided.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 09:35:54 AM »

There are no great bands in your list after the Beach Boys.

I will say that the California sound of the 70's was pretty good with actual great artists/bands on the scene such as Jackson Browne, The Eagles, Linda Ronstadt, Warren Zevon, David Lindley, J.D. Souther, Joni Mitchell, Fleetwood Mac, Poco, etc.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 09:36:45 AM by The Legendary J-O-B » Logged
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 09:51:44 AM »

it won't always be the rock capitol...not when it sinks into the ocean.. Shocked Shocked
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 12:43:56 PM »

Memphis, Tennessee called.
They'd like to have a word with you.
Nicko1234
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 03:01:45 PM »

United Kingdom.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 10:48:59 PM »

it won't always be the rock capitol...not when it sinks into the ocean.. Shocked Shocked

m.youtube.com/watch?v=XJpznMaZ85c

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 11:27:37 PM »

Cool Guy
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 11:41:23 AM »

This.... Grin
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 01:52:07 PM »

I'm still confused as far as why every so often this dude will post  something saying how The Beach Boys started the great chain in which blink 182 and Fall Out Boy have been continuing links bring us the RAWK!

I know I'm stretching it a little, but I don't get it. I understand that dude likes pop-punk, but I have no idea what these '80s trash punk bands have to do with Brian Wilson.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 04:49:00 PM »

A lot of the punk bands, especially the Ramones were fans of the Beach Boys early 60s garage rock hits. As catchy and good as a lot of the early BB songs are, that is not what makes them one of the greatest groups of all time in my opinion. A great start, but unless they grew from there, they would not have been. Many of these punk bands never got past that level. Not saying it's bad taste, just not a high level of art.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 05:11:02 PM »

After the BBs lit the torch in 63, fifteen yrs later great bands like the Surf Punks, Dickies and Weirdos... the torch'll never go out..

I'm a fan of old punk, I like The Dickies and The Weirdos (seen 'em both). However I don't see your point. The Dickies are good players as far as 'punk' goes, but they're just doin it for a laugh. Surf Punks are (sometimes) fun but they're just a joke band. The Weirdos are way cool and have a few catchy numbers (Neutron Bomb rocks) but they didn't revolutionize anything. "The torch will never go out"?? None of those bands had any major hits. And punk's torch is waaaay dead (and just for the record Blink 182 and Green Day are NOT punk...but that's a boring argument).

Hot Rod
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 08:26:40 AM »

Most pop punk bands are more influenced by early Beach Boys than later Beach Boys. But there is one band from California that actually has more of a late 60s Beach Boys feel: Bracket. Their new album Hold Your Applause is pretty much 60s psychedelica mixed with Weezer, Green Day and Ramones riffs. It's totally awesome. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6FPPf5hUa0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIN2_GzE7pU

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx