gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:01:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Listening Project, Pt. 2: Week 12 - Songs for a Tailor by Jack Bruce  (Read 15502 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2014, 08:46:19 AM »

While the holiday season and consequently the time I've been taking off from work has me thoroughly f***ed up as to what day it is, I am aware (because the Vikings play today) that it's Sunday. So ... new album? Hypehat, what have you got?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2014, 12:31:59 PM »

While the holiday season and consequently the time I've been taking off from work has me thoroughly f***ed up as to what day it is, I am aware (because the Vikings play today) that it's Sunday. So ... new album? Hypehat, what have you got?

I haven't heard from him in a while. I'll send him and Dumb Angel (the guy in line after him) private messages and see who gets back to me.
If neither do, it's yer tern, Will.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2014, 08:07:43 PM »

"What Will You Do When Your Suntan Fades?" - two things came to mind when I heard this:  sounds something like the feel of My Brother Woody's first album and Stephen Bishop.  I can see how Luther thinks Miles is the right one to sing his songs too.  When I first commented on the captain's music, now nearly a year ago, I would have made the connection if I'd known who Beulah was.  I'm okay with the lyrics on this one.  A favorite.

Funny you should say that Will as this album was the biggest influence on me production wise for that album.

Its still one of my favourite albums. Always adored "I'll be Your Lamp Shade" closely followed by "Suntan" and "Popular Mechanics".

The part in "Night is the Day Turned Inside-Out" that goes "There is a place in the red light district
Of your heart that I used to visit" always really gets me.

Hey Mike, Happy Holidays!  I've studied so much music, it became a natural way to have fun with it.  One of the best ways to listen to modern music is spot the influence.  Many artists try hard to do it, without anyone being able to pinpoint it, exactly.  They do want it to sound familiar.  Ian did a great job describing in his post, "Throughout the record I keep hearing bits that remind me of other songs, before the song changes course so that no single song sounds like a complete rip-off of another song."  Great to have musicians taking part in this project.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2014, 09:26:55 PM »

Okay, Looks like I'm next.  I've decided to wait til Sunday to make my pick.  Let's give hypehat and Dumb Angel some extra time to notice we're over here in General Music Discussion.  Just kidding.  I hope they change their minds.

Between College Bowl Games and New Year's Eve (and recovery) I'm pretty distracted anyway.  Some of my favorite teams made the NFL play-offs too.  This is an intense time of the year for us footballers.  I hope everybody in our group has a great New Year.

As far as Beulah goes, I'll have the DVD, Yoko and The Coast is Never Clear sometime next week.  Captain, I did check out many of the video clips on youtube.  Some of the songs come off really well live.  Much more power.  Most of the Yoko tracks I heard live first, and quickly made me go looking for the CD.  "Hovering" is nice.  Miles is still obsessed with Lennon phrasing and Beatles melodies.  Well, maybe this one is closer to Walls and Bridges.  "Me and Jesus Don't Talk Anymore" gets the closest to Lennon's Beatles sound - I thought for a moment he was going to break into singing about walruses and bulldogs.  He channels Liam on this number too.  With English accent!  This whole song comes off different live.  The Big Star t-shirt made two statements.  Musically, and that Miles thought his band was in the same position Big Star was in when they splintered.  I got a couple of Alex's records for Christmas, A Man Called Destruction and the 1970 sessions he did right after the Box Tops.  Speaking of Big Star and Memphis, we had a loss on the 18th in this world if you haven't heard.  John Fry died.  I'll leave you with one of his quotes, "Your moods are affected by your surroundings.  I think there is something that operates in Memphis...and at Ardent.  I can't explain what it is. You come record here, something good happens to you."

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2014, 05:37:59 PM »

I don't have much to add here other than to say that Beulah's second release, When Your Heartstrings Break, is, or at least was, one of my all-time favorite albums.  I liked it so much that my friends got tired of hearing it and hearing about it.  To pay them back for not sharing my love I began using the word "Beulah" to express my love for nearly everything, as in, "Those new shoes of yours are so Beulah" and "Michael Jordan is the Beulah of basketball players."  I was obsessed and I knew as I listened to it repeatedly that one day I would become exhausted with it, but I could not stop.  I had to put it down for several years and only recently listened to it again.  Now that I write songs a bit myself I appreciate it anew for some of the cool things he does - he is especially good at not letting a song become boring...and when he changes gears he doesn't lose a step, the next bit is just as engaging as the bit that just ended.  So I loved Beulah once upon a time.

With that said, I did not like the follow-up nearly as much, some great songs but some I didn't like at all, I liked Yoko still less and Miles solo outing did nothing for me.  I also saw them live and thought they were terrible, the intricacies and subtleties were related with loud guitars.

Does anyone know what has become of Miles?

And captain, I'm surprised you didn't pick a Stryper album.  Wink

EoL

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2015, 07:05:19 AM »

It's funny that you liked Heartstrings so much more than the next two. I think it's good, but to me it is a clear third, the first decent album and more a sign of things to come than a great album on its own.

I haven't heard anything from Miles since his solo album, which was one of the most disappointing albums I can remember. Not that it was TERRIBLE or anything, but I was waiting and waiting and waiting, and then, meh. It really showed me the importance of Bill Swann. The guys didn't get along well (which is well documented), but they were necessary components to the music. It's, like, our billionth example that complete artistic control often goes awry. Creative tension, that's where it's [usually] at.

Just checked his website and it hasn't been updated in four years. I know the guys had office jobs back during their Beulah days. I wouldn't be surprised if the music stuff just faded away, superseded by paychecks of regular, gainful employment.

Stryper album. Heh. I'd have had to go with To Hell With the Devil, a cassette of which I got either at the same time as or very near the time I bought Europe's the Final Countdown, circa 1987, and these were my first self-purchased albums. Both classics... Roll Eyes

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2015, 12:26:09 PM »

So, Bubbly Wave gave me the go-ahead yesterday to post the album of the week, so here it is:

The Exploding Hearts - Guitar Romantic (2003)

Spotify: https://play.spotify.com/album/2zDkArT4ElJG9lmng08Myq
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhmctlRdGOo

These guys aren't just another punk rock revival group; The Exploding Heart's wonderfully combine elements of first wave punk rock and power-pop to give them their kickass signature sound. They led a punk rock/new wave revival scene in the Seattle and Portland areas in the early 2000's and became a local success. Tragically, on July 20, 2003, three of the four members were killed in an accident as they began to make it big.

I don't hear a lot of talk about them, so I'm excited to hear your opinions!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 05:14:18 PM by The Dumb Angel » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2015, 12:33:55 PM »

Never heard them or heard of them, so I look forward to listening.

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2015, 12:57:30 PM »

Dumb Angel,  Could you tell us a little more on why you chose this album?  What is your opinion on the band?  Were they friends of yours?  Did you see them live?  What are your memories of a band that basically died over eleven years ago? 

There's nothing to research, little to listen to.  They left behind about a hour of music.  Did you expect one of us might have known them personally?  The band seems to be looked back on favorably by the few who listened to it, or more likely saw them in some dive bar like Bottom of the Hill.  That was a dangerous area to go in when I lived in San Francisco.  Worse than Mission and 24th.  Lots of gun shots and gun-slingers.  When I heard Oasis was going to play there, I decided against taking a chance on busing over.  Oasis had a limo waiting out front.  And plenty of security.  By 2003 the gentrification of the area was probably complete, with all the gangsters moved to the East Bay.

I'm not surprised you don't hear a lot of talk about them.  Lyrics like "You were caught in the act of sniffin' glue" "I've got some sniffin' to do to get as high as you..." - The Ramones might have got a chuckle... as they proclaimed "it's those damn modern kicks"...

To be fair, I did see a tenth anniversary tribute video by Cry.  So you are not the only one who remembers.  When did you first hear the band?

Questions, so many questions on this pick.

The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2015, 03:28:50 PM »

Dumb Angel,  Could you tell us a little more on why you chose this album?  What is your opinion on the band?  Were they friends of yours?  Did you see them live?  What are your memories of a band that basically died over eleven years ago?  

There's nothing to research, little to listen to.  They left behind about a hour of music.  Did you expect one of us might have known them personally?  The band seems to be looked back on favorably by the few who listened to it, or more likely saw them in some dive bar like Bottom of the Hill.  That was a dangerous area to go in when I lived in San Francisco.  Worse than Mission and 24th.  Lots of gun shots and gun-slingers.  When I heard Oasis was going to play there, I decided against taking a chance on busing over.  Oasis had a limo waiting out front.  And plenty of security.  By 2003 the gentrification of the area was probably complete, with all the gangsters moved to the East Bay.

I'm not surprised you don't hear a lot of talk about them.  Lyrics like "You were caught in the act of sniffin' glue" "I've got some sniffin' to do to get as high as you..." - The Ramones might have got a chuckle... as they proclaimed "it's those damn modern kicks"...

To be fair, I did see a tenth anniversary tribute video by Cry.  So you are not the only one who remembers.  When did you first hear the band?

Questions, so many questions on this pick.
I never knew them personally, or got the opportunity to see them live. A friend of mine suggested them to me a couple months ago and I loved them. Their minute discography contains some of the most catchy and fun punk songs I've ever heard, and it's very unfortunate, because if it wasn't for the accident, I'm sure they would've continued to put out some amazing albums and possibly could've become relatively successful. During and especially after the band was around, they did gain a decent cult following, which has seemed to have faded quite a bit recently, so I figured since they're an amazing band that's not very well known, Guitar Romantic would be a good album to choose.

And I absolutely love the lyrics to Jailbird! "I see you talking to a squirrel, kissing its lips, why not mine?"  LOL
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 03:30:04 PM by The Dumb Angel » Logged
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2015, 06:05:25 PM »

thanks.  I'll give it a second listen, but I have only the 30 minute album, a couple of singles, and a few live tracks to base my opinion on. 

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2015, 11:08:39 PM »

I'm ready.

Guitar Romantics                 Exploding Hearts

Usually find something positive to say with all the picks so far, but...this band would have had to develop a lot for me to like them.  They sound like many, many, many young musicians loving what they do.  Sing and play instruments.  A song like "Jailbird" doesn't even sound punk to me.  Mostly English Pub-Punk like The Clash - but wait, not developed enough to sound that good.  More like, trying to sound that good.  The Clash sounded good on their first record.  Sorry Dumb Angel, I don't let too many new acts in.  That's why Beulah was such a surprise.  I could continue to trade posts on most of the picks we've had, but that can't go on too long here with Exploding Hearts.  They were dead before too much got started.  I listened to this kind of music more when I was younger.  I did South of Market and North Beach plenty.  I enjoyed bands like Pearl Harbour and the Explosions, The Beat and The Records in bars and clubs in the 70's and 80's, but I spent many a night listening to Country, Rock and Pop seated.  I was never into the heavy Punk scene like you seem to be.  I went to clubs more often than bars.  The Ramones weren't even a club band by the time I saw them - they played the music halls, like The Warfield.  Do you listen to The Clash?  They had some great humor in their lyrics - it wasn't all politics.  Mick had Pop ideas and used them well after The Clash.  Me today isn't me when I was in my twenties.  I want melody and soul more and more as I grow older.  You'll see if you decide to discuss my pick.  It's up next.

There's not much to discuss.  It's not enough to be raw and alive.  They're only catchy here and there.  No single track caught my attention.  I can't build a solid opinion on what could've been a bright career.  At this point these guys sound like too many other bands I've heard before in dance halls, bars and clubs all my life.  Maybe I'm getting too old, but I don't think so.  That's repeating what I said in the last paragraph.

I'm glad they had a following.  Glad you like them.

intermission music:       http://youtu.be/k8zmkzshUvE

keep posting.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2015, 01:13:35 PM »

I haven't had a computer for a couple days and still won't for about a week.
So, I'm not going to be able to contribute to this thread for a little while.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2015, 08:22:09 AM »

before I lavish praise on this album I am gonna listen on my headphones. (My headphones were hooked up to my keyboard. I don't like to move my headphones . I like to seamlessly get up from my keyboard and jam.  I only have one pair of headphones. I ruined the other pair when I threw them at a bus. The busdriver wouldn't stop because he was a stupid jerk in the first place. )
 my first impressions are very good. I like this.
I remember people talking up the Riffs back in the day (take that! bean bagh) ...  I can see why.  this is good stuff.

*apparently a member of this band was also in The Riffs.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2015, 10:44:15 AM »

Wasn't going to be my choice, but the thread has died and this is an appropriate end.  I have enjoyed very much doing this.

for a fallen soldier...

youtube:  http://youtu.be/yLtrg-3ahrU
spotify:    https://play.spotify.com/album/0CXaWWTLMLIxq3kXlCSjxe

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2015, 03:51:48 PM »

I'm behind and I know it. Sorry! I'll catch up.

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2015, 09:12:23 PM »

I think with me and you, sports is taking up a lot of our time.

I'll do a run-down of my pick in the next few days.  Let's get this thread rollin' again.  I'd like it to go another round, hopefully with some new posters joining in.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 08:49:52 PM by feelsflow » Logged

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2015, 06:35:01 AM »

Basketball always gets its share of my time, but it's been other stuff distracting me. I like this thread concept and would actually love to keep it up for multiple rounds if there's interest.

Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2015, 04:03:46 AM »

I love this album. It rocks and it makes me happy. I might buy it.

Please delete my account
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2015, 05:05:37 AM »

Wasn't going to be my choice, but the thread has died and this is an appropriate end.  I have enjoyed very much doing this.

for a fallen soldier...

youtube:  http://youtu.be/yLtrg-3ahrU
spotify:    https://play.spotify.com/album/0CXaWWTLMLIxq3kXlCSjxe

I'm not a tailor, but I listened to it anyway.

My heart sank at the first track as I don't like British Bar-Band Blues music much. But the rest of the album was a pleasant surprise after that. Well, I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised as he was the guy from Cream after all and I do like a lot of their song, though I've never heard any of their albums. This is a bit like I would imagine a Cream album to sound- quite tasteful, but very listenable and catchy; and fairly varied within the context of the late sixties rock spectrum. Not too sorry when it was over, mind you.

Please delete my account
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx