gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:43:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: R.O.T.O.R.'s bizarre Beach Boys scene  (Read 11507 times)
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« on: December 08, 2014, 11:32:22 PM »

I was cackling like a madman earlier tonight over this ludicrous old Terminator/Robocop ripoff, when the following scene popped up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fVTMQLAkJA&feature=player_detailpage#t=965

Features: References to Brian, Carl, Al, Bruce, Mike and several hamfisted song titles dropped carelessly into the conversation.

God Only Knows, indeed.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 12:03:51 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 11:39:44 PM »

Can you pinpoint it please? That clip's one and half hours long…!

“We live in divisive times.”
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 11:40:39 PM »

Scene should start 16:05, I thought the link did as well. Wilson references begin flying fast and furious 17:01
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 11:41:48 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 11:52:42 PM »

I was cackling like a madman earlier tonight over this ludicrous old Terminator/Robocop ripoff, when the following scene popped up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fVTMQLAkJA&feature=player_detailpage#t=965

Features: References to Brian, Carl, Al, Bruce, Mike and several hamfisted song titles featured in the conversation.

God Only Knows, indeed.

That is beyond bizarre, and jaw-droppingly hilarious and awful at the same time!
The screenwriter or director must be a huge BB nerd.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 12:24:00 AM »

Wild. That is one of the most bizarre finds I've ever seen show up on the board. The question is did you actually watch the full 15 minutes of this before the references, and if so...how?  Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 12:31:38 AM »

Link started at the point you mentioned. I wonder if the "actors" (boy, this movie is bad!) knew what they were talking about?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 12:34:42 AM »

Good find! It's funny that no one (that I know of) has mentioned this before. I wonder how many people who watched this actually understood all the references. Rock and roll to the rescue is a pretty obscure reference.
Hot Rod
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 04:01:16 AM »

THis is really awesome. I'm also wondering if the actors know about the references
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 08:21:04 AM »

Wild. That is one of the most bizarre finds I've ever seen show up on the board. The question is did you actually watch the full 15 minutes of this before the references, and if so...how?  Grin

Years of experience with bad movies have left me nearly impervious to the effects of terrible dubbing.

I'm told there's a similar cluster of Pink Floyd references in that film somewhere too but... I missed them on the first go and... I have limits, man. LIMITS!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 08:55:55 AM »

Years of experience with bad movies have left me nearly impervious to the effects of terrible dubbing.

I'm told there's a similar cluster of Pink Floyd references in that film somewhere too but... I missed them on the first go and... I have limits, man. LIMITS!
LOL

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 09:57:13 AM »

Wow, with dialogue like that, you'd think Mike would've ghostwritten it.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 04:30:02 PM »

Just in case any of you need a solution by, say... tomorrow:

Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 06:51:30 PM »

How cool/weird is that! I wonder if 'Karate' was a BB reference too.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2016, 10:34:51 AM »

Perhaps the only time the timeless "classic" film R.O.T.O.R., with the weirdest Beach Boys scene ever, will ever be shown on the big screen... it's screening at The Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood on April 9.

http://www.americancinemathequecalendar.com/content/robocop-the-terminator-rotor

Too bad it doesn't appear there will be Q&A to ask the director or writer about the Beach Boys scene, although sometimes Q&As are added at the last minute.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2016, 10:52:01 AM »

This movie was released as a full-length "Rifftrax" (some of the old Mystery Science Theater 3000) guys a few years back. I actually watched it, not knowing anything about the BB references (I saw it before this thread appeared). If you're into "so bad it's funny" movies, this is a good one, especially with the "Rifftrax" treatment.

I also believe that the "riffers" make a reference to the fact that the characters in that scene are very ham-handedly throwing out numerous BB references.

Stunningly, I believe last year, this film was released in full HD glory on Blu-ray! (The Rifftrax version is not HD, and is the typical old school full-frame SD presentation, which sometimes adds to the charm of awful movies).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2016, 10:54:44 AM »

This movie was released as a full-length "Rifftrax" (some of the old Mystery Science Theater 3000) guys a few years back. I actually watched it, not knowing anything about the BB references (I saw it before this thread appeared). If you're into "so bad it's funny" movies, this is a good one, especially with the "Rifftrax" treatment.

I also believe that the "riffers" make a reference to the fact that the characters in that scene are very ham-handedly throwing out numerous BB references.

Stunningly, I believe last year, this film was released in full HD glory on Blu-ray! (The Rifftrax version is not HD, and is the typical old school full-frame SD presentation, which sometimes adds to the charm of awful movies).

Very interesting - thanks for the info, HeyJude.
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2016, 12:40:28 PM »

Here is the famous scene:
https://youtu.be/Nx0-9hX9xEw?t=5m37s

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2016, 12:52:24 AM »

That is without a doubt the most bizarre BB-related/inspired artefact I have ever experienced. And one of the funniest too.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2016, 10:35:57 AM »

It's a truly hilarious film, much more watchable via Rifftrax:

http://www.rifftrax.com/rotor

This one is also easy to buy, as you can buy the riff as a full video, as opposed to some other riffs where you buy the audio and have to already have access to the video.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2016, 10:55:36 AM »

Was Ontor there for the screening of it? Azn

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2016, 06:41:07 PM »

I would totally go if I wasn't already seeing The Residents that night! Sounds like a quality night out to see such a film on a big screen. A bit hallucinatory, really.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2016, 02:33:21 PM »

Side note: separate from this incredible R.O.T.O.R. Beach Boys scene, I just watched a Season 4 episode of the TV show CHiPs the other day (episode "A Simple Operation" from 1981), and noticed that a character is named Karl Wilson. Not the most unusual name in the world, but I can't help but wonder if the writers were Beach Boys fans. Carl Wilson was still a pretty famous guy, right? Coincidence?

MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2016, 01:09:36 PM »

Coincidence I would say.  Unlikely naming an orderly would be considered a tribute.  Then, if meant to honor Carl, why not, uh, spell it Carl instead of Karl.  Don't know the context of the character in the episode but the name Karl to me looks like an attempt to vilify the character with the K in the name, sort of an amerika type move....
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx