gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:56:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: All This Is That  (Read 4691 times)
blossomworld
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2014, 08:39:02 PM »

Apologies if this is too similar to the recent thread about co-writes, but does anyone know who the "main" songwriter (if there was one) on All This Is That was? I've always thought of it as a Carl song, but it's credited to Carl, Al and Mike.

(Also hello everyone how's it going this is the first post that I have made on this here forum)

Wouldn't it be nice
If
PhDs
Were strokin' me with hypotheses
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 08:44:05 PM »

Hello!  Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 08:46:00 PM »

Al and Mike. Primarily Al. He took some words from poems by Robinson Jeffers and Bob Frost. It was his idea and Mike contributed some of the words and the ending and Carl took it to the heavens with his vocals.

I was in the audience here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtSGHcL6xOo

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
blossomworld
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 09:02:19 PM »

Thanks a lot! Al really doesn't get enough recognition as a songwriter, does he?

Wouldn't it be nice
If
PhDs
Were strokin' me with hypotheses
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 09:03:09 PM »

His solo album is great if you haven't checked it out.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 09:13:39 PM »

Thanks a lot! Al really doesn't get enough recognition as a songwriter, does he?

or a singer.  Or a guitarist.  Or a human being. 
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 09:22:05 PM »

ahhh, but after you have it's not so great?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 09:23:53 PM »

That pirate version of sloop John B will do that to a man. LOL

Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 11:34:14 PM »

I remember an Al interview where he recalls Carl's role in mediating conflicts in the band. At a certain point, Carl would say, 'it IS what it IS' and things would calm down and proceed.

It IS what it IS would've made a good B-side for All This is That.  Wink

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 12:38:48 AM »

ahhh, but after you have it's not so great?

That's a good one! Smiley So the album name should be "Schrödinger's cat".

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 03:49:43 AM »

or a singer.  Or a guitarist.  Or a human being. 

Or a producer. Al once said of this song, "I had another song based on a Robert Frost poem called 'The Road Not Taken', which is really a pretty poem.  I thought it would make a really nice song.  I went into the studio and cut a track.  Mike and Carl got involved and it became a whole 'nother thing.  It just became another song.  Mike wanted some meditation lyrics and Carl liked a certain type of production and so I stepped back and said, 'Well, okay!'.  If somebody's really that inspired to do something then that's great.  Then you work with it instead of fighting it and it comes out okay". (Byron Preiss' official biography of the band, pg. 119).

Apparently the track Al originally cut is a simple acoustic guitar-based production, whereas the Carl-produced track is as we hear it, with acoustic and electric pianos, bass, drums, and shaker - plus those gorgeous otherworldly vocals.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 10:11:55 AM »

or a singer.  Or a guitarist.  Or a human being.  

Or a producer. Al once said of this song, "I had another song based on a Robert Frost poem called 'The Road Not Taken', which is really a pretty poem.  I thought it would make a really nice song.  I went into the studio and cut a track.  Mike and Carl got involved and it became a whole 'nother thing.  It just became another song.  Mike wanted some meditation lyrics and Carl liked a certain type of production and so I stepped back and said, 'Well, okay!'.  If somebody's really that inspired to do something then that's great.  Then you work with it instead of fighting it and it comes out okay". (Byron Preiss' official biography of the band, pg. 119).

Apparently the track Al originally cut is a simple acoustic guitar-based production, whereas the Carl-produced track is as we hear it, with acoustic and electric pianos, bass, drums, and shaker - plus those gorgeous otherworldly vocals.

OK, lessee, that's ONE Carl & The Passions track you can tell us about!  Now, who played instruments on the track? Assume this was recorded at Bellagio?  Smiley

"Two waves and I, both travel by and that makes all the difference to me".  Sounds like Robert Frost to me!

« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 11:02:19 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 10:23:58 AM »

I think it's high time that William Shatner release a CD of cover songs, including his personalized take on this song, "All This is Shat".
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 08:52:50 PM »

"Two waves and I, both travel by and that makes all the difference to me".  Sounds like Robert Frost to me!

Hmm... I guess we know one of the lines Al wrote then, eh?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 08:59:36 PM »

or a singer.  Or a guitarist.  Or a human being.  

Or a producer. Al once said of this song, "I had another song based on a Robert Frost poem called 'The Road Not Taken', which is really a pretty poem.  I thought it would make a really nice song.  I went into the studio and cut a track.  Mike and Carl got involved and it became a whole 'nother thing.  It just became another song.  Mike wanted some meditation lyrics and Carl liked a certain type of production and so I stepped back and said, 'Well, okay!'.  If somebody's really that inspired to do something then that's great.  Then you work with it instead of fighting it and it comes out okay". (Byron Preiss' official biography of the band, pg. 119).

OK, lessee, that's ONE Carl & The Passions track you can tell us about!  Now, who played instruments on the track? Assume this was recorded at Bellagio?  Smiley

Yes, at Bellagio, and according to the AFM sheet, instrumentation by Carl, Ricky and Blondie.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2014, 10:02:28 PM »

Apparently the track Al originally cut is a simple acoustic guitar-based production

Is a version of that still in the vault? I'd really like to hear that.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2014, 03:44:03 AM »

One of the two BB tracks I play to chill me out in times of stress. The other one is "LGAFAW".

I once asked Alan - via a mutual friend - exactly what was being said behind the main vocal at various points in the song. The answer came back "he's listened... and he can't remember".  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2014, 04:13:06 AM »

One of the two BB tracks I play to chill me out in times of stress. The other one is "LGAFAW".

I once asked Alan - via a mutual friend - exactly what was being said behind the main vocal at various points in the song. The answer came back "he's listened... and he can't remember".  Grin

Wow! Those are great lyrics! Wink
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2014, 04:17:34 AM »

My sides, they are splitting.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Shark
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2014, 09:05:24 AM »

One of my favorite BB tracks ever.  Carl's vocals along with the lyrics just put you in a peaceful frame of mind.  Amazing.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2014, 10:43:19 AM »

Took me many a year to find out what Carl was singing at the end.  "Jai guru dev."

A couple of other songs on CT&P were a little hard to decipher too. Twas a revelation when I finally saw the lyrics printed 15 or 20 years later.....

Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2014, 11:42:58 AM »

Including some of the parts of He Come Down. One part sounds like "crizing for the lord."
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2014, 11:48:41 AM »

Years ago I was ambivalent about this track, but "All This Is That" is a keeper. Is it the best song off CARL & THE PASSIONS - "So Tough" ? Maybe so. Well deserved exposure at most C50 shows.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx