gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 04:29:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vote The Beach Boys in Ultimate Classic Rock bracket...  (Read 10724 times)
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2014, 04:59:31 PM »

I think the Beach Boys who GENEROUSLY were a "Classic Rock" band...for about 7 years if you take it from Pet Sounds to Holland and don't count much of Smiley Smile, Wild Honey or Friends beat the pants off of Zimmy.  Looks like I'm not the only one who doesn't think Mr. 'Dylan' cuts the mustard as a Classic Rock guy.  [although his SONGS most assuredly do]
I don't really classify the Beach Boys as becoming a rock band really until about 1972 - and then it was over in a short amount of time. Although, I think seeing this as a competition of "WHO MADE CLASSIC ROCK" is wrong, it's just a "Who do you like more/Whose fans will vote more" competition. Obviously, whatever the results of any opinion poll mean nothing, as you can still like the Beach Boys more than the Moody Blues even if they end up losing to them in the next round.

Besides, I'm not surprised that here, on a Beach Boys forum, most people will prefer the Beach Boys to Bob Dylan, but I am a little surprised at the seeming lack of knowledge of him. In my particular case, I think Bob is a thousand times more rock and roll than the Beach Boys. Also, I don't really understand the distinction of Bob Dylan not being classic rock, but his songs are.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 05:02:17 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2014, 05:11:55 PM »

I think the Beach Boys who GENEROUSLY were a "Classic Rock" band...for about 7 years if you take it from Pet Sounds to Holland and don't count much of Smiley Smile, Wild Honey or Friends beat the pants off of Zimmy.  Looks like I'm not the only one who doesn't think Mr. 'Dylan' cuts the mustard as a Classic Rock guy.  [although his SONGS most assuredly do]
I don't really classify the Beach Boys as becoming a rock band really until about 1972 - and then it was over in a short amount of time. Although, I think seeing this as a competition of "WHO MADE CLASSIC ROCK" is wrong, it's just a "Who do you like more/Whose fans will vote more" competition. Obviously, whatever the results of any opinion poll mean nothing, as you can still like the Beach Boys more than the Moody Blues even if they end up losing to them in the next round.

Besides, I'm not surprised that here, on a Beach Boys forum, most people will prefer the Beach Boys to Bob Dylan, but I am a little surprised at the seeming lack of knowledge of him. In my particular case, I think Bob is a thousand times more rock and roll than the Beach Boys. Also, I don't really understand the distinction of Bob Dylan not being classic rock, but his songs are.

I suppose a lot of people prefer covers of his songs, done by classic rock artists...
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 05:14:25 PM by BAmBU Dennis » Logged
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2014, 05:16:38 PM »

Just my perception.  There is no one left in the competition who I can actually vote against in favour of picking the Beach Boys as the "Ultimate Classic Rock" act.  I mean...at least to me, there has to be some degree of the thing being credible.  I could do that with Dylan.  I won't be able to with the Moodies, the Stones or with Cream.
------------

I don't know what I'm saying re: Dylan.  LOL   Just trying to justify my votes I guess.  Anyway...I could vote for 'our team' in THAT particular round.  No problem.   After that though?  Not so much.  Best singers?  Ya.  Most fun?  Ya.  Greatest divesity and versatility?  Sure.  The one I like the best?  Definitely.  The group that's been around the longest?  So far.  Ultimate Classic Rockers? Lips Sealed
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 09:48:31 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2014, 10:28:58 AM »

Voting is open for the next round.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/moody-blues-vs-beach-boys/
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2014, 10:37:05 AM »

I suppose a lot of people prefer covers of his songs, done by classic rock artists...

Outside of The Turtles' (are they even classic rock?) It Ain't Me Babe and The Byrds' Mr. Tambourine Man (and possibly My Back Pages), what other examples are there of this?

I can't imagine anyone doing a version of Like a Rolling Stone, Subterranean Homesick Blues, Desolation Row, Rainy Day Women, etc. etc. that would be better than the definitive Dylan versions.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2014, 11:02:38 AM »

The Mighty Quinn...Manfred Mann
All Along the  Watchtower...Jimi Hendrix
If Not For You...George Harrison
Tons of Stuff...The Byrds
Blowin In the Wind...Loads of People including Stevie Wonder

Who else?  The Animals, Joan Baex, the Band, The Beach Boys, The Black Crowes, David Bowie, Glen Campbell, Johnny Cash, Eric Clapton, Joe Cocker, Elvis Costello, Neil Diamond, Dion, Steve Earle, Dave Edmunds, Bryan Ferry, The Four Seasons, Golden Earing, Gov't Mule, Sammy Hagar, The Heptones, Gregory Isaacs, The Isley Bros., Etta James, Billy Joel, Ben E King, Mark Knopfler, Gordon Lightfoot, Little Feat, Taj Mahal, Bob Marley, Nazareth, Willie Nelson, Odetta, The O'Jays, Pearl Jam, Tom Petty, Queens of the Stone Age, Bonnie Raitt, Lou Reed, Boz Scaggs, Bruce Springsteen, James Taylor, George Thorogood, U2, UB40, Townes Van Zandt, Eddie Vedder, Jerry Jeff Walker, Roger Waters, XTC, Yes, Neil Young, Warren Zevon...Just to SHORT-list it from A - Z.

I could have been here typing all day.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 11:04:34 AM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2014, 11:06:43 AM »

All Along the  Watchtower...Jimi Hendrix

Who else?  The Animals, Joan Baex, the Band, The Beach Boys, The Black Crowes, David Bowie, Glen Campbell, Johnny Cash, Eric Clapton, Joe Cocker, Elvis Costello, Neil Diamond, Dion, Steve Earle, Dave Edmunds, Bryan Ferry, The Four Seasons, Golden Earing, Gov't Mule, Sammy Hagar, The Heptones, Gregory Isaacs, The Isley Bros., Etta James, Billy Joel, Ben E King, Mark Knopfler, Gordon Lightfoot, Little Feat, Taj Mahal, Bob Marley, Nazareth, Willie Nelson, Odetta, The O'Jays, Pearl Jam, Tom Petty, Queens of the Stone Age, Bonnie Raitt, Lou Reed, Boz Scaggs, Bruce Springstten, James Taylor, George Thorogood, U2, UB40, Townes Van Zandt, Eddie Vedder, Jerry Jeff Walker, Roger Watters, XTC, Yes, Neil Young, Warren Zevon...Just to SHORT-list it from A - Z.

Of course, I forgot about Watchtower. Mighty Quinn is good too but there was quite a long absence there of a Dylan original. Personally, I'd be surprised if the general public appreciated or knew of Stevie's Blowin' in the Wind more than Dylan's. I mean, yes, lots of people have performed Dylan's songs. The question is whether it is the case that "a lot of people" prefer those cover versions over Dylan's. You tell me the Gregory Isaacs song that the public prefers over the Dylan version? Is The Beach Boys' version of Times They are-a Changin' generally regarded more favourably than Dylan's?

Yes, you could have been typing all day. It's easy when you disregard what anybody has said.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 11:21:55 AM by rockandroll » Logged
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2014, 11:22:05 AM »

Sorry if you felt like I was disregarding your post.  Wasn't my intention.  I was just trying to give an indication of how highly Bob is held in terms of esteem whether it be in Rock, Pop, Country, or Reggae...and by almost all of the BIG names...not to mention the public.  As to which version is the prefered rendition...every opinion counts.  no 2 ears are the same.   Sometimes I'll go with Bob.  Sometimes not.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 11:25:12 AM by Add Some » Logged

bluesno1fann
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2014, 06:25:37 PM »

All Along the  Watchtower... The Jimi Hendrix Experience

Who else?  The Animals, Joan Baex, the Band, The Beach Boys, The Black Crowes, David Bowie, Glen Campbell, Johnny Cash, Eric Clapton, Joe Cocker, Elvis Costello, Neil Diamond, Dion, Steve Earle, Dave Edmunds, Bryan Ferry, The Four Seasons, Golden Earing, Gov't Mule, Sammy Hagar, The Heptones, Gregory Isaacs, The Isley Bros., Etta James, Billy Joel, Ben E King, Mark Knopfler, Gordon Lightfoot, Little Feat, Taj Mahal, Bob Marley, Nazareth, Willie Nelson, Odetta, The O'Jays, Pearl Jam, Tom Petty, Queens of the Stone Age, Bonnie Raitt, Lou Reed, Boz Scaggs, Bruce Springsteen, James Taylor, George Thorogood, U2, UB40, Townes Van Zandt, Eddie Vedder, Jerry Jeff Walker, Roger Waters, XTC, Yes, Neil Young, Warren Zevon...Just to SHORT-list it from A - Z.

This is pretty much what I would have said, though I'd add Guns and Roses (Knockin' On Heaven's Door), which a lot of people prefer - and funnily enough the one time where I'd disagree. I always thougt the Peter, Paul and Mary version of Blowin' In The Wind was the definitive one. The Byrds are the ultimate Dylan cover band though, too many to list. I'd also add the Stones live cover of Like A Rolling Stone, one of their best latter-day songs.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2014, 06:27:51 PM »

And holy sh*t the Moody Blues are kicking the Beach Boys's arse. C'mon Everybody, we gotta vote for put favourite band!
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2014, 06:57:54 PM »

I always thougt the Peter, Paul and Mary version of Blowin' In The Wind was the definitive one.

Maybe, but I wouldn't call Peter, Paul and Mary classic rock artists. Nor would I Joan Baez, Glen Campbell, Johnny Cash, Neil Diamond, The Four Seasons, The Heptones, Gregory Isaacs, The Isley Brothers, Etta James, Ben E. King, Gordon Lightfoot, Willie Nelson, Odetta, The O'Jays, Bonnie Raitt, James Taylor, and Jerry Jeff Walker.

The Byrds are the ultimate Dylan cover band though, too many to list.

They have a lot but I'd say only a few trump Dylan's own songs in terms of overall popularity.

I'd also add the Stones live cover of Like A Rolling Stone, one of their best latter-day songs.

I might disagree about that, but I would definitely argue that Dylan's version of this song is the definitive one - definitely not The Stones'.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2014, 10:04:05 PM »

NOW who's disregarding other people's posts? Huh  I CLEARLY said...and I quote..."I was just trying to give an indication of how highly Bob is held in terms of esteem whether it be in Rock, Pop, Country, or Reggae...and by almost all of the BIG names...not to mention the public."

So the fact that you don't consider Pop, Country or Reggae artists to be Classic Rock isn't really the point.  I don't either.  But when Bob Marley records one of your songs...[or at least when he did as Bob Marley hasn't been with us for over 30 years now]...it's a /it was a BIG freakin' deal. 

Bottom line.  Bob Dylan is toast...in this little poll.  Does it mean ANYTHING?  Not even a smidge.  I won't change the course of anything even remotely valid one iota.  And people...and musicians...will continue to think that composers like Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen and Brian Wilson, for that matter, are pretty darned special.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2014, 12:37:01 AM »

If all you've heard of Dylan is Times They Are-a Changin' or Freewheelin', I can see why you'd think of him as a folk artist. Hard to overlook that trilogy of rock albums from 65-66, though. Bringing it All Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde on Blonde are Rock albums! They're not folk records. They're not country. Psycadelic blues, maybe.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2014, 07:24:32 PM »

Wow, can't believe the Dylan discussion is continuing even after he was defeated and The Beach Boys now face The Moody Blues.
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2014, 07:34:22 PM »

The Beach Boys have gained nearly ten points since I voted last night. From down 3-1, it's now roughly 2-1.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2014, 08:02:59 PM »

NOW who's disregarding other people's posts? Huh  I CLEARLY said...and I quote..."I was just trying to give an indication of how highly Bob is held in terms of esteem whether it be in Rock, Pop, Country, or Reggae...and by almost all of the BIG names...not to mention the public."

I wasn't contradicting your point. My point has been to question the assertion made several posts back that "a lot of people prefer covers of [Dylan's] songs, done by classic rock artists." I asked a basic question which was, aside from a few striking cases, what are the examples of songs done by classic rock artists that "a lot of people prefer" over the Dylan originals? Your post gave a list of names, many of which we both agree were not classic rock artists, who performed covers, most of which were by and large not more popular than the Dylan original. I've never questioned that many people have covered Dylan's songs - I agree with you on that. So when the poster who originally noted that  "a lot of people prefer covers of [Dylan's] songs, done by classic rock artists" says that your post is "pretty much what [he] would have said" in answer to my call for examples, I can only respond by saying that it doesn't work as a response. You might have been making a fine post ibut it has nothing to do with anything that I was talking about. If you think that my post was disregarding yours, then I can only say that again, you haven't paid attention to my original post.

One could, say, point to Joe Cocker's "With a Little Help From my Friends," Aerosmith's "Come Together," Elton John's "Lucy in the Sky," The Stones' "I Wanna Be Your Man" but I don't think anyone would make the statement that a lot of people prefer covers of Beatles songs done by classic rock artists.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2014, 10:22:34 PM »

I wasn't contradicting your point. My point has been to question the assertion made several posts back that "a lot of people prefer covers of [Dylan's] songs, done by classic rock artists." I asked a basic question which was, aside from a few striking cases, what are the examples of songs done by classic rock artists that "a lot of people prefer" over the Dylan originals? Your post gave a list of names, many of which we both agree were not classic rock artists, who performed covers, most of which were by and large not more popular than the Dylan original. I've never questioned that many people have covered Dylan's songs - I agree with you on that. So when the poster who originally noted that  "a lot of people prefer covers of [Dylan's] songs, done by classic rock artists" says that your post is "pretty much what [he] would have said" in answer to my call for examples, I can only respond by saying that it doesn't work as a response. You might have been making a fine post ibut it has nothing to do with anything that I was talking about. If you think that my post was disregarding yours, then I can only say that again, you haven't paid attention to my original post.

One could, say, point to Joe Cocker's "With a Little Help From my Friends," Aerosmith's "Come Together," Elton John's "Lucy in the Sky," The Stones' "I Wanna Be Your Man" but I don't think anyone would make the statement that a lot of people prefer covers of Beatles songs done by classic rock artists.

I'd be surprised if the Stones version of I Wanna Be Your Man (and to a much lesser extent Joe Cocker with WALHFMF) isn't considered the definitive version. It's generally considered to be among their best early songs, and was their first major hit in Britain. It was also (according to Bill Wyman) the first hit song in Britain to feature a slide guitar. Not to mention the brilliant bass playing that literally carries the song along.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2014, 11:50:48 PM »

Anyway...

Cream is curdling the Stones.  Nice.  [and yes...I'm guilty of voting for the BOYS.  I can't help myself LOL]

Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2014, 04:35:55 AM »

Can't say, from what I've heard, that I prefer any covers of Dylan songs over his own versions, not even The Byrds, who made a neat trick of it.  Once you've heard one of their covers, you don't really need to hear the others.

I just voted for the Beach Boys over the Moody Blues, but they aren't winning.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
bluesno1fann
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2014, 06:00:47 AM »

Yeah, they're doing pretty disastrously so far. A lack of enthusiasm from people around here doesn't help
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2014, 06:20:16 AM »

I'd be surprised if the Stones version of I Wanna Be Your Man (and to a much lesser extent Joe Cocker with WALHFMF) isn't considered the definitive version.

Which is why I gave both songs as examples. I'm really not sure you are understanding my point at all.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2014, 03:23:25 PM »

I'd be surprised if the Stones version of I Wanna Be Your Man (and to a much lesser extent Joe Cocker with WALHFMF) isn't considered the definitive version.

Which is why I gave both songs as examples. I'm really not sure you are understanding my point at all.

Perhaps because you also have an Aerosmith and Elton John examples of Beatles covers, which I found a bit bewildering.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2014, 03:23:55 PM »

Yeah, they're doing pretty disastrously so far. A lack of enthusiasm from people around here doesn't help

And now it's 3-1...
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2014, 04:27:16 PM »

By all rights, in a bracket like that, the Stones should trounce everyone with the Who coming in second.  It is a very odd demo that is voting.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2014, 04:46:55 PM »

Perhaps because you also have an Aerosmith and Elton John examples of Beatles covers, which I found a bit bewildering.

They are both versions of Beatles songs that were frequently played on my local classic rock radio station. Many people in my age group preferred the Aerosmith version of CT over The Beatles; meanwhile, Elton's version of LSD went to #1 whereas The Beatles version wasn't a single at all. Why did you find these examples bewildering?
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx