gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:13:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vote The Beach Boys in Ultimate Classic Rock bracket...  (Read 10685 times)
ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2014, 08:43:17 PM »

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/bob-dylan-beach-boys-hall-of-fame-round-one/

Vote The Beach Boys over Bob Dylan! (Sorry if this has already been posted!

1 Corinthians 1:18-31
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 08:58:14 PM »

I posted it in the vote for Brian thread, but I suppose it deserves its own.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 09:49:35 PM »

This comment pissed me off, to put it mildly:

"worth of knowledge: the beach boys are not rock. they are simply a drugged up barbershop quartet. Dylan FTW"
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 11:06:40 PM »

"worth of knowledge: the beach boys are not rock. they are simply a drugged up barbershop quartet. Dylan FTW"
wtf Huh? Who said that?? If the BBs aint rock than johnny cash aint c&w and sinatra wasnt a crooner...people are fuckin stupid// the BBs are THE quintessential rock band. .and they werent puppets like the fabricated four were to george martin, not to be rude but when someone is clueless they shouldnt be voicing their malarkey.
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 02:20:37 PM »

Whatever....whoever wins this round will lose to The Who in the next round any way
The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 02:51:56 PM »

I don't mind Dylan, but I think it's clear who deserves to win.

Whatever....whoever wins this round will lose to The Who in the next round any way
To my surprise, The Moody Blue is actually ahead of The Who by quite a bit.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 03:00:42 PM »

We've gained a little ground.  Keep the votes coming!
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 04:20:53 PM »

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/bob-dylan-beach-boys-hall-of-fame-round-one/

Vote The Beach Boys over Bob Dylan! (Sorry if this has already been posted!

"You can vote once an hour between now and Dec.15 at 11:59 PM ET."

Vote early and often!  LOL

Hope Brian's board has this link !
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 04:22:16 PM by filledeplage » Logged
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 04:59:14 PM »

Moody Blues beating The Who? Who would have thought !
bluesno1fann
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 05:59:32 PM »

Things are slowly but surely swinging to our favour, judging by the narrowing gap between Dylan votes and Beach Boys votes, as well as the comments section.

I'd also like to express my surprise on the Moody Blues beating the Who by a large margin. Something I would have never predicted.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 09:55:09 PM »

wtf Huh? Who said that?? If the BBs aint rock than johnny cash aint c&w and sinatra wasnt a crooner...people are fuckin stupid// the BBs are THE quintessential rock band. .and they werent puppets like the fabricated four were to george martin, not to be rude but when someone is clueless they shouldnt be voicing their malarkey.

IMHO, Beach Boys music is better than rock music.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2014, 02:59:37 AM »

IMHO, Beach Boys music is better than rock music.

But Beach Boys music IS rock music. Certainly more so than Bob Dylan, who's definitely more folk than rock.

Oh, and The Beach Boys just overtook Bob Dylan on the poll  Happy Dance Let's just hope it maintains it's lead
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 03:00:59 AM by BAmBU Dennis » Logged
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2014, 07:19:25 AM »

Can't choose between Dylan and the Beach Boys.  Just can't.  Besides, when I think of 'classic rock', I think of the type of c*ck-swinging crud that's making up the rest of the semi-finals.  I think of the Beach Boys as pop music.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2014, 07:27:40 AM »

While Beach Boys music is more rock than Dylan, neither Pet Sounds nor SMiLE is rock music the way I see it. Dance, Dance, Dance is definitely rock music.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2014, 08:14:25 AM »

Bob Dylan, who's definitely more folk than rock.

Nope

While Beach Boys music is more rock than Dylan

No
bluesno1fann
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2014, 03:01:53 PM »

While Beach Boys music is more rock than Dylan

No

Care to elaborate? Granted though Dylan did move away from his folk roots as the 60's progressed.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2014, 03:52:37 PM »

Care to elaborate? Granted though Dylan did move away from his folk roots as the 60's progressed.

The Beach Boys are a pop band. Always have been, always will be. They incorporated other styles, but they always worked outward from their pop music base. Bob's been making rock music since 1965 (and even an oft-neglected single in 1962).

Compare from the 60's:
Bob's "I Wanna Be Your Lover"
The Boys' "All I Want to Do"

Or maybe we should try one from the 80's:
Bob's "The Groom's Still Waiting at the Altar"
The Boys' "Rock 'n Roll to the Rescue"

Or perhaps we should do a more modern comparison:
Bob's "Summer Days"
The Boys' "Beaches in Mind"

If those Bob links don't work, try these:
I Wanna Be Your Lover
Groom's Still Waiting at the Altar
Summer Days

You tell me who's more convincing.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 04:16:32 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2014, 08:32:58 PM »

I had NO trouble voting for The 'Boys' over Dylan...Although their classic 'ROCK' period was pretty short.  [Good Vibrations to Holland...with plenty of exceptions even in that short time frame]  I also voted for Cream over Buffalo Sprinfield...The Yardbirds [3 GREAT guitarists to one riff master]  over the Stones...and after some debate in the back of my mind...the Moody Blues over the WHO.  I was happily shocked to see that they're ripping Pete, Roger, John and Keith a new one but I'll tell you this...when 'we' got together during my high school days to collectively smoke a little herb and listen to the GREAT albums of the early 70s...The Moody Blues were listened to and appreciated by LOADS of people.  The Who?  Nowhere nearly as often.  Not even Tommy.  For a couple of years we collectively got together in groups of 20 -30 people on Fridays or Saturday nights to listen to  albums.  The Moody Blues first 4 albums were preferred listening.  They made plenty more good ones after that.

Seems North Americans liked them WAY more than the folks in the UK did.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2014, 04:30:06 PM »

It looks like The Beach Boys are pretty much set to win (and rightfully so), at 55 percent, with Dylan at 45 percent. Alternatively, bit disappointed at how The Who are going against The Moody Blues. In fact it's going disastrously for them. Oh well, can't win them all.

Checking The Who vs The Moody Blues comment section, one moron said: "This whole bracket is a joke if the Beach Boys are on it. They are surf and oldies genre, not what most would consider classic rock"
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2014, 07:55:16 PM »

Let's be honest here.  Dylan?  Classic 'Rock'?  Well...sort of...I guess...but really only because of the Band...I mean really.   W/O the Band....NO WAY.   The Beach Boys?  IF Smile had happened...Oh ya.  Definitely.  A whole new launching pad and an entirely different future.  But it didn't happen.  *We* "weren't ready for it".  Bullshit!!!

As such...From Good Vibrations...which is a Classic Rock classic ...intermittently to Holland...the 'boys' delivered some honest Classic rock.  After that?  Nope.  Musically...they belong in EVERY converstation.  In terms of Classic ROCK...versus The Stones?  The Yardbirds?  The Who?  Cream?  [Eric, Jack and Ginger...now THAT was a unit which really got along famously eh?]  ...evrn the Moody Blues?  No...Rock was not the thing the Beach Boys did best.  They did MUSIC best.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2014, 04:07:09 PM »

Voting ends at the end of the 15th (American time, I assume. It's already the 16th where I live). It looks like The Beach Boys have won, with 57 percent over Dylan's 42 percent.

Next up: The Beach Boys vs The Moody Blues. Now that would be an interesting competition...
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2014, 04:18:56 PM »

Let's be honest here.  Dylan?  Classic 'Rock'?  Well...sort of...I guess...but really only because of the Band...I mean really.   W/O the Band....NO WAY.

You think the only "classic rock" that Bob made was Planet Waves, the Basement Tapes, and one song from Blonde on Blonde?
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2014, 04:40:26 PM »

I think the Beach Boys who GENEROUSLY were a "Classic Rock" band...for about 7 years if you take it from Pet Sounds to Holland and don't count much of Smiley Smile, Wild Honey or Friends beat the pants off of Zimmy.  Looks like I'm not the only one who doesn't think Mr. 'Dylan' cuts the mustard as a Classic Rock guy.  [although his SONGS most assuredly do]

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2014, 04:48:39 PM »

Love Dyan but since The Beach Boys are my favorite I voted for them.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2014, 04:58:16 PM »

To be clear...I didn't say that I don't think BIG things about Robert and his obvious talents.  I own a whole heap of his catalogue...including his newer material.  But...as a Classic Rock  recording artist [as opposed to a composer]...I personally just don't see or hear him that way.  I'd suggest that his music and lyrics provided him with an invitation to this particular party.  If it's about song writing...he's going to fare way better.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx