gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:01:59 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1977 Christmas Album or CD  (Read 4399 times)
Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

My Favorite Beach Boy ( The Real Surfer)

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2014, 08:02:36 PM »

Is the 1977 Christmas Album on CD?  I been looking to get that every Christmas and can some one help me out thanks

I had a fast Life
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 08:14:53 PM »

This was the compilation released in the late 90's that collected both the 60's and a handful of the 70's Christmas recordings called "Ultimate Christmas":

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Christmas-Beach-Boys/dp/tracks/B000009RVB/ref=dp_tracks_all_1/186-4860955-4351162#disc_1

Then they repackaged it as "Christmas With The Beach Boys" but left off one track from the earlier release:

http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-With-Beach-Boys/dp/B0002Y4TY2

If you don't mind not having one track, the later release is readily available on Amazon for what looks like around 2 dollars and up, while the earlier one is 18 dollars and up.

Hope that helps!  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 12:55:53 AM »

The unreleased second xmas album turned into MIU album...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 04:02:14 AM »

No it didn't. That myth was exploded some years ago. It's way more complex than that.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 12:44:45 PM »

Well in 77 they signed to columbia before their deal was finished with wb correct? Dennis and carl were over it but they planned another xmas album and then reworded some of the tracks and added come go w me and peggy sue from the 15 big ones sessions...so MIU ,the light album and KTSA being made up of songs from older sessions...the quality of the music being less than it was would equate to the bleek times of what was...
Nicko1234
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 02:08:31 PM »

Well in 77 they signed to columbia before their deal was finished with wb correct? Dennis and carl were over it but they planned another xmas album and then reworded some of the tracks and added come go w me and peggy sue from the 15 big ones sessions...so MIU ,the light album and KTSA being made up of songs from older sessions...the quality of the music being less than it was would equate to the bleek times of what was...

Huh
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 03:41:45 PM »

True that several songs from the Christmas album appear in different form on the MIU album but in truth, those songs were already being worked on in their non-Christmas counterparts for the California Feeling album which was being worked on simultaneously.  The MIU album bears a lot more resemblance to California Feeling than it does to the Christmas album.  In fact California Feeling basically was more or less the MIU album except with some lesser tracks swapped out for songs from Brian's abandoned New Album and Adult/Child projects in the released version.

Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 09:24:50 PM »

No it didn't. That myth was exploded some years ago. It's way more complex than that.

Clearly. I still don't know what happened there.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 09:26:08 PM »

It would be nice to hear the '77 medley of traditional carols. Isn't it good enough to see official release?
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 09:42:34 PM »

Denny's "Morning Christmas" from these sessions is incredible.

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 11:01:14 PM »

It would be nice to hear the '77 medley of traditional carols. Isn't it good enough to see official release?

If that's the one I heard, it's children singing accompanied by a horn band with a few BBs audible at some spots. Sounds like it was recorded on the street. Pleasant, but you don't need to be The Beach Boys to pull off that one.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2014, 06:27:24 AM »

Quote from: Moon Dawg
He has to leave it ambiguous so that we'll continue to speculate, providing him the perfect opportunity to later cut us like a knife with another surgically ambiguous point.
Nicko1234
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2014, 06:30:23 AM »

He has to leave it ambiguous so that we'll continue to speculate, providing him the perfect opportunity to later cut us like a knife with another surgically ambiguous point.

It has been posted many times...including by Rocky Raccoon earlier in this thread.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2014, 12:22:28 PM »

"I saw mommy kissing Santa Claus" was released on the "Hey Santa" CD..
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2014, 02:24:09 PM »

I heard Melekalikimaka at the local shopping mall this past weekend.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2014, 02:13:09 AM »

Not at all - check out the session dates and you'll see that the band worked on both versions - seasonal and, or, not - of the songs concerned almost simultaneously at MIU.

job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2014, 11:20:06 AM »

Exactly.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2014, 11:29:31 AM »

Not at all - check out the session dates and you'll see that the band worked on both versions - seasonal and, or, not - of the songs concerned almost simultaneously at MIU.
OK, devil's advocate here, plus I really don't know the correct answer, but were the band unsure of what direction they wanted to go in for that last Reprise album, or were they looking to release albums for both labels within close proximity to one another? Do we really know why they took this approach to recording back in 77 at MIU?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2014, 11:34:42 AM »

The only thing I can contribute as fact was an announcement onstage from Mike Love at the 11/19/1977 show in Champaign-Urbana/U of Illinois.

Between songs he said they were currently based in Iowa, where they were recording "...our next album... in fact, our next two albums..."
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2014, 10:58:09 AM »

OK, devil's advocate here, plus I really don't know the correct answer, but were the band unsure of what direction they wanted to go in for that last Reprise album, or were they looking to release albums for both labels within close proximity to one another? Do we really know why they took this approach to recording back in 77 at MIU?

Blind panic: they'd  signed an $8½ million deal with CBS without realizing they still owed Reprise one more album.

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2014, 08:03:25 PM »

Blind panic: they'd  signed an $8½ million deal with CBS without realizing they still owed Reprise one more album.

LOL

So, they dropped MIU on Reprise and gave CBS LA.

Meanwhile, back in 1976...

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx