gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:38:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2015  (Read 391048 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1775 on: November 25, 2015, 08:01:06 AM »

Oh, please, HJ - what you fail to grasp is that some of us take the "Desper" approach, and seek a fairness standard for all band members.  When I joined this board, I didn't check the "Brian" fan box, the "Mike" fan box, but the Beach Boys fan box.

And as far as the "keys" issues, I learned something entirely different in Music Education. And, perhaps, for that context.  

So, my goal is always to have an open mind for each band member, living or dead.

On this board, Mike has been continuously attacked. Way more than Brian, whom I can assure you, during my high school and college years was often attacked.   Who defended Brian's absence publicly onstage?  Carl, Dennis and Mike.   I know because I am a witness to that.  So, when I read nonsense, that requires a response, then it happens.  

And seeing all this one sided, non time-contextualized "Mike crap" that just offends my personal sense of fairness.   And it is no different from much of that crap that circulated as to why Brian was not touring back-in-the-day.  The innuendo is just being sent in the direction of another band member.   Wink

With all due respect, I don't see anything remotely similar between what Mr. Desper offers in his comments/posts and any of your posts.

As for the rest, I just think it's a bummer that you're so quick to assume a genuine and rather innocuous comment and observation about Mike singing a song is meant as an attack. It doesn't bode well for this board, unfortunately.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: November 25, 2015, 08:47:08 AM »

Agreed and agreed.

David singing "Getcha Back" wasn't as exciting as I had hoped this summer.

Al singing almost ANYTHING instead of another Beach Boy takes the cake these days!  LOL

I think he sang on Hawaii at the C50 show I did (Getcha Back was not in the setlist that night), and I think he does a better job on that one. 

Yes, he sang Hawaii and Do You Wanna Dance at the Merriweather concert and both were more suitable.

Are you sure Dave sang "Do You Wanna Dance" in 2012? I remember early erroneous reports that he sang one other early-era tune at early shows. The Merriweather show was in June. But I remember tour post-mortems that seemed to confirm that the only leads he took on the tour were "Hawaii" and "Getcha Back." Every version of "Do You Wanna Dance" from that tour that I've heard features Brian.

I don't remember the specifics, but I seem to remember that Dave was slated to take lead on DYWD for C50 but Brian kinda just took the bull by the horn and sang lead instead.  I could be misremembering or thinking of another song entirely.
KDS
« Reply #1777 on: November 25, 2015, 08:50:57 AM »

Just curious. 

Who sings Do You Wanna Dance now if they play a venue without a video board? 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: November 25, 2015, 08:56:51 AM »

#notthebeachboys

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: November 25, 2015, 09:24:55 AM »

Oh, please, HJ - what you fail to grasp is that some of us take the "Desper" approach, and seek a fairness standard for all band members.  When I joined this board, I didn't check the "Brian" fan box, the "Mike" fan box, but the Beach Boys fan box.

And as far as the "keys" issues, I learned something entirely different in Music Education. And, perhaps, for that context.  

So, my goal is always to have an open mind for each band member, living or dead.

On this board, Mike has been continuously attacked. Way more than Brian, whom I can assure you, during my high school and college years was often attacked.   Who defended Brian's absence publicly onstage?  Carl, Dennis and Mike.   I know because I am a witness to that.  So, when I read nonsense, that requires a response, then it happens.  

And seeing all this one sided, non time-contextualized "Mike crap" that just offends my personal sense of fairness.   And it is no different from much of that crap that circulated as to why Brian was not touring back-in-the-day.  The innuendo is just being sent in the direction of another band member.   Wink

With all due respect, I don't see anything remotely similar between what Mr. Desper offers in his comments/posts and any of your posts.

As for the rest, I just think it's a bummer that you're so quick to assume a genuine and rather innocuous comment and observation about Mike singing a song is meant as an attack. It doesn't bode well for this board, unfortunately.
What doesn't bode well for this board, is the continuous hijacking of threads. That has been articulated recently and many have left as a result.  And, had you been a fan in the 60's or even the 70's, your point of view might be more time-context-balanced in my opinion.  You would not have seen Brian during that time, save a cameo.  

You would have been told by the band members that Brian was at home, writing music.  And, at different concerts that the "release of Smile was close in time."    

Younger fans have been very spoiled in my view to have seen Brian from the outset, but the history of The Beach Boys is a long one, a continuum, if you will, with ups and downs, as everyone has and no one escapes.    

Mr. Desper articulates what many of us who grew up alongside the music feel.  I certainly would not put myself in Desper's category of expertise, but his is balanced and views the best in each individual in a nonjudgmental fashion.  

It is very transparent when there is a Touring Band slam coming as it is a regular occurrence.   Please try to give all the members the "benefit of the doubt."  Let's not assume any of them is inherently evil.  It is tolerant.  

Happy Thanksgiving, Hey Jude.  Wink
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 09:36:39 AM by filledeplage » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: November 25, 2015, 09:25:37 AM »

Just curious.  

Not sure who does it this year, but Bruce has performed it in the past.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
KDS
« Reply #1781 on: November 25, 2015, 09:28:12 AM »

Just curious.  

Thanks. 

Just curious as I'll be seeing The Beach Boys at the Modell Lyric Opera House in Baltimore in February.  So, I'm not sure if they'll have a video board for the Carl and Dennis tributes. 

I know Bruce tends to do GOK in these cases. 
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: November 25, 2015, 09:33:59 AM »

What doesn't bode well for this board, is the continuous hijacking of threads. That has been articulated recently and many have left as a result.
You are correct and what a shame that this has occurred. While I have not left the board entirely, I refuse to get caught up in the nonsense that is constant on this board. I participate when I can supply an answer to a question or when something piques my interest. Though, not much piquing in here these days. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: November 25, 2015, 09:34:21 AM »

Just curious.  

Thanks. 

Just curious as I'll be seeing The Beach Boys at the Modell Lyric Opera House in Baltimore in February.  So, I'm not sure if they'll have a video board for the Carl and Dennis tributes. 

If I remember correctly, David did Do You Wanna Dance? before C50 with the Touring Band.  Someone else might know... Wink
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: November 25, 2015, 11:44:12 AM »

I clearly remember David singing "Do You Wanna Dance" at Merriweather on C50...I was right in front of him!

I've heard M&B do it  in 2010 and 2013, and Bruce sang it all times.

David sang it with Brian/Al in DC in 2013.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1785 on: November 25, 2015, 12:19:52 PM »

My initial thought is HMR doesn't fit Mike's voice at all, there's a reason someone else always sang the song for 50 years. Once I hear him sing it, I reserve the right to change that opinion.  And I would argue the song is absolutely Al's signature song.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: November 26, 2015, 01:11:41 AM »

Just curious.  

Thanks. 

If I remember correctly, David did Do You Wanna Dance? before C50 with the Touring Band.  Someone else might know... Wink

David sang Do You Wanna Dance? -- and Forever -- on the 2008 UK tour with Mike & Bruce. Every other time I've seen them perform it it's been either video-screen Dennis (this year) or Bruce (all previous years). I assume that if they didn't have a video screen and did do the song, Bruce would sing it -- but I also suspect that with the question being about a theatre show they will have the screen.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1787 on: November 26, 2015, 02:18:24 AM »

I'm not sure how I feel about this.  I wonder how it sounded. I am having flashbacks to when Mike would try to sing over Al in the early 80s such as Knebworth and it was not good.

And that was when there were doing the song in a different, lower key. I'm curious why they would go to the trouble of switching it up and having Mike sing it, since they would either have to lower the key quite a bit or have Mike sing it a full octave lower or something, which would be weird.

Or I dunno, maybe he's actually trying to sing it in the same key as Al does it. But considering Mike lowers the key on at least a few songs like "It's OK", I would tend to doubt it.
Wild Honey was in that setlist.  It is very vocally taxing, I think.  And he is multi-tasking while he does it.  

No one has ever "owned" Rhonda, even if Al sang on their #1 hit.  

Dennis and Carl did Rhonda leads.  So if Mike did the lead, I'd say it was no big deal. And, I'd like to see that.  

Switching up is sometimes  great thing. I think it is Dennis on lead on MIC.  Someone will surely correct me if I am wrong.  LOL

Never said anybody owned the song. I'm well aware of the lead vocal tradeoffs throughout the years. It's hardly a huge breaking story, especially within the context of Mike's current touring setup.

You don't have to defend Mike Love when someone simply says they're surprised he's singing something. Everything that doesn't read as a glowing review isn't meant negatively. Sheesh.

I've read this five times, but I don't get it. Who is criticising Mike by saying what and who is defending him by saying what?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1788 on: December 01, 2015, 07:27:29 AM »

COMMENT:   F.Y.I.

Got a note (email) from Bruce yesterday.

He signs the note ...
"Bruce (now in Germany)….175 concerts for 2015!!!!!!"

Can you imagine, such stamina at age 73 ! And Mike is older.  Wow.

~swd
KDS
« Reply #1789 on: December 01, 2015, 07:31:35 AM »

COMMENT:   F.Y.I.

Got a note (email) from Bruce yesterday.

He signs the note ...
"Bruce (now in Germany)….175 concerts for 2015!!!!!!"

Can you imagine, such stamina at age 73 ! And Mike is older.  Wow.

~swd

That's an average of roughly a concert every two days.  That would be impressive for a group half their age. 

People can say what they want about Mike and Bruce (and sometimes David), but they're very hard workers who put on good shows. 

And 2016 is already filling up. 
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1790 on: December 01, 2015, 08:57:58 AM »

4... 3... 2... 1... well?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Kamandi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: December 01, 2015, 01:18:36 PM »

Agreed and agreed.

Al singing almost ANYTHING instead of another Beach Boy takes the cake these days!  LOL

I think he sang on Hawaii at the C50 show I did (Getcha Back was not in the setlist that night), and I think he does a better job on that one. 

Yes, he sang Hawaii and Do You Wanna Dance at the Merriweather concert and both were more suitable.

Are you sure Dave sang "Do You Wanna Dance" in 2012? I remember early erroneous reports that he sang one other early-era tune at early shows. The Merriweather show was in June. But I remember tour post-mortems that seemed to confirm that the only leads he took on the tour were "Hawaii" and "Getcha Back." Every version of "Do You Wanna Dance" from that tour that I've heard features Brian.

I don't remember the specifics, but I seem to remember that Dave was slated to take lead on DYWD for C50 but Brian kinda just took the bull by the horn and sang lead instead.  I could be misremembering or thinking of another song entirely.

At the sound check for the first C50 show in Tucson, Dave rehearsed Do You Wanna Dance as a lead vocal for himself. During the actual show Brian started singing before Dave could open his mouth resulting in momentary confusion on stage. After a couple of verses Scott and Bruce motioned Dave back to the mic to double with Brian but Brian was on fire and running with the vocal. After the song Bruce said  laughing "Great job Brian! Great job Dave!"
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1792 on: December 01, 2015, 01:23:35 PM »

Agreed and agreed.

Al singing almost ANYTHING instead of another Beach Boy takes the cake these days!  LOL

I don't remember the specifics, but I seem to remember that Dave was slated to take lead on DYWD for C50 but Brian kinda just took the bull by the horn and sang lead instead.  I could be misremembering or thinking of another song entirely.

At the sound check for the first C50 show in Tucson, Dave rehearsed Do You Wanna Dance as a lead vocal for himself. During the actual show Brian started singing before Dave could open his mouth resulting in momentary confusion on stage. After a couple of verses Scott and Bruce motioned Dave back to the mic to double with Brian but Brian was on fire and running with the vocal. After the song Bruce said  laughing "Great job Brian! Great job Dave!"

Brian did the same thing with one (and possibly several) songs on opening night of the summer 2015 tour in Saratoga. It appeared at least on "Little Deuce Coupe" that Al was supposed to sing it, but Brian just started singing and they ended up singing it together. Weird but kind of cool. Brian also sang "Wake the World", which Al quickly took over as well, and I suspect Al was potentially slated to sing it that night as well.

For how "withdrawn" Brian sometimes is claimed to be on stage (and over the years this has sometimes been an accurate description), it's pretty interesting to see him be into it enough to essentially "steal" back someone else's lead vocal!  LOL

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1793 on: December 02, 2015, 01:49:16 AM »

Interested to know how many songs they are playing at these "proms" German shows. Looks like they played Frankfurt last night.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1794 on: December 03, 2015, 10:29:41 AM »

Interested to know how many songs they are playing at these "proms" German shows. Looks like they played Frankfurt last night.

This newspapaer mentions that Brian and Mike are still touring. Songs mentioned are GV and Barbara Ann. But it's not a real concert review. I guess this will be the kind of stuff you could expect.

http://www.giessener-zeitung.de/giessen/beitrag/108314/pop-und-klassik-passten-wieder-grandios-zusammen/

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: December 03, 2015, 10:56:02 AM »

Mike sings lead on Help Me Rhonda!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqu1E0c0XHE

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1796 on: December 03, 2015, 11:07:55 AM »

Interesting. Same key as usual, and doesn't sound too strained. He'd still sound less strained in a lower key of course.

Still don't think the song especially suits his voice, but this was about as good as I could have guessed it would sound.

tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: December 03, 2015, 01:50:55 PM »

It sounds passable minus the lyric flub.  Agreed, don't think it suits his voice still. Is Bruce just standing there?? No Keyboard?
It's too bad they've taken away 2 of Cowsill's very few vocals in Darlin and HMR to give to Jeff and Mike who already have enough leads.  Underutilizing him a bit.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 01:55:02 PM by tpesky » Logged
gfac22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: December 03, 2015, 02:39:58 PM »

Interesting. Same key as usual, and doesn't sound too strained. He'd still sound less strained in a lower key of course.

Still don't think the song especially suits his voice, but this was about as good as I could have guessed it would sound.

Agreed.  It honestly sounded better than I was expecting.  I'm still curious to know why Mike took a turn with it.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: December 03, 2015, 02:54:40 PM »

It sounds passable minus the lyric flub.  Agreed, don't think it suits his voice still. Is Bruce just standing there?? No Keyboard?
It's too bad they've taken away 2 of Cowsill's very few vocals in Darlin and HMR to give to Jeff and Mike who already have enough leads.  Underutilizing him a bit.

I don't think they've taken the lead away from Cowsill. Looking at that footage, and at the other videos the same person has uploaded, it looks like the only band members there are Mike, Bruce, Scott, and Jeff -- which makes sense if this is a package thing with multiple acts doing short sets backed by an orchestra.
If "Ike", Tim, and John are there, they're *far* away from the frontline members, and it's possible they weren't mic'd for vocals.
Either way, I suspect Cowsill will be back on lead once they start doing their own shows again next year. But in the meantime, does that make Rhonda the only song where every member of the classic five-member line-up has sung it live?

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx