gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 02:41:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2015  (Read 392912 times)
Zargo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: November 18, 2015, 10:56:34 PM »

Melbourne was great, except for the fact we didn't get "Still Cruisin.'"

Bruce sang "You're so good to me" marginally better than Brian did in '12, and he actually sounded great on Brian's verses of Sloop John B.

Enough pictures of the boys (No David though) constantly fading in and out  on the video screen to leave anyone in the audience having each of them floating through their dreams for the next few months.

Fabulous night though, great to hear "I'm so young" and "good to my baby." My wife was keen to take a toilet-break during "cotton fields," not sure why they played that one without Al "forcing" them.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 09:05:24 PM by Zargo » Logged
KDS
« Reply #1751 on: November 19, 2015, 05:58:52 AM »

Melbourne was great, except for the fact we didn't "still cruisin'"

Bruce sang "You're so good to me" marginally better than Brian did in '12, and he actually sounded great on Brian's verses of Sloop John B.

Enough pictures of the boys (No David though) constantly fading in and out  on the video screen to leave anyone in the audience having each of them floating through their dreams for the next few months.

Fabulous night though, great to hear "I'm so young" and "good to my baby." My wife was keen to take a toilet-break during "cotton fields," not sure why they played that one without Al "forcing" them.

I got to hear both Brian and Bruce (at different shows of course) sing You're So Good to Me over the summer, and I think both did a great job.  (The Beach Boys didn't do You're So Good to Me when I saw them in 2012). 

I also think Bruce does a very good job on Please Let Me Wonder in concert. 
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: November 19, 2015, 11:02:11 AM »

Melbourne was great, except for the fact we didn't "still cruisin'"

Enough pictures of the boys (No David though) constantly fading in and out  on the video screen to leave anyone in the audience having each of them floating through their dreams for the next few months.

I got to hear both Brian and Bruce (at different shows of course) sing You're So Good to Me over the summer, and I think both did a great job.  (The Beach Boys didn't do You're So Good to Me when I saw them in 2012). 

I heard "You're So Good To Me" for the first time live this summer, sung by Bruce, and I didn't really think it had the weight of the recording. It was too short and breathy. As you mentioned though, Bruce also did "Please Let Me Wonder" for the past two years which I absolutely adore...great pick for him. However, Brian singing it on C50 for me was the ultimate. That one is still in a sweet spot for his voice.
KDS
« Reply #1753 on: November 19, 2015, 11:09:11 AM »

Speaking of Beach Boys vocals. 

I was lucky enough to attend a summer show with David Marks on guitar back in August.  But, for the life of me, I just don't get why they have him sing Getcha Back.  I guess they want to give him a token lead vocal, but I don't think that song suits him very well. 
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: November 19, 2015, 01:30:09 PM »

Al Jardine puts both of them to shame on YSGTM
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1755 on: November 19, 2015, 06:35:34 PM »

Agreed and agreed.

David singing "Getcha Back" wasn't as exciting as I had hoped this summer.

Al singing almost ANYTHING instead of another Beach Boy takes the cake these days!  LOL
Zargo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: November 19, 2015, 10:30:56 PM »

I haven't been present for a Bruce "Let me wonder." Brian was very shouty in Melbourne on "you're so good to me" back in '12, it was certainly his least impressive vocal on the night.
KDS
« Reply #1757 on: November 20, 2015, 05:43:21 AM »

Agreed and agreed.

Al singing almost ANYTHING instead of another Beach Boy takes the cake these days!  LOL

I think he sang on Hawaii at the C50 show I did (Getcha Back was not in the setlist that night), and I think he does a better job on that one. 
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: November 20, 2015, 12:03:55 PM »

Agreed and agreed.

I think he sang on Hawaii at the C50 show I did (Getcha Back was not in the setlist that night), and I think he does a better job on that one. 

Yes, he sang Hawaii and Do You Wanna Dance at the Merriweather concert and both were more suitable.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1759 on: November 20, 2015, 12:56:01 PM »

Agreed and agreed.

Yes, he sang Hawaii and Do You Wanna Dance at the Merriweather concert and both were more suitable.

Are you sure Dave sang "Do You Wanna Dance" in 2012? I remember early erroneous reports that he sang one other early-era tune at early shows. The Merriweather show was in June. But I remember tour post-mortems that seemed to confirm that the only leads he took on the tour were "Hawaii" and "Getcha Back." Every version of "Do You Wanna Dance" from that tour that I've heard features Brian.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: November 20, 2015, 01:02:06 PM »

Agreed and agreed.

Are you sure Dave sang "Do You Wanna Dance" in 2012? I remember early erroneous reports that he sang one other early-era tune at early shows. The Merriweather show was in June. But I remember tour post-mortems that seemed to confirm that the only leads he took on the tour were "Hawaii" and "Getcha Back." Every version of "Do You Wanna Dance" from that tour that I've heard features Brian.
I remember a report from the first show saying he sang Wendy but I've never seen that confirmed
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1761 on: November 20, 2015, 01:06:16 PM »

I remember a report from the first show saying he sang Wendy but I've never seen that confirmed

I think that was debunked early on. Those early reports from the first few shows were thrilling and interesting, but occasionally inaccurate.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: November 20, 2015, 01:07:37 PM »

I think that was debunked early on. Those early reports from the first few shows were thrilling and interesting, but occasionally inaccurate.
Gotcha thanks, I figured as much
SinisterSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: November 21, 2015, 01:51:22 AM »

Alrighty guys, about to head off to my very first BB show, wish me luck!~

I'll letya know how it goes, I'd kill for Mike to sing All I Wanna Do, but I'm not gonna hold my breath
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: November 22, 2015, 07:42:10 PM »

Anyone else seeing the guys in Perth? Gonna be the my first time seeing them, super excited!

Did you end up going to King's Park to see them?  I had a great time Smiley   What did you think?
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: November 24, 2015, 07:09:52 AM »

I think this might be worth looking into but according to the setlist of the recent Perth show Mike sang Help Me Rhonda  Shocked

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialMikeLove/photos/pb.125419450870238.-2207520000.1448377677./930656500346525/?type=3&theater
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1766 on: November 24, 2015, 08:09:27 AM »

I think this might be worth looking into but according to the setlist of the recent Perth show Mike sang Help Me Rhonda  Shocked

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialMikeLove/photos/pb.125419450870238.-2207520000.1448377677./930656500346525/?type=3&theater

They'd have to severely change the key (which isn't impossible of course). I'm curious if it's a guest of some sort, especially if this is one of the multi-band shows. Also, considering how many leads Mike already does and the fact that everybody in the band other than Bonhomme sing leads, I'd be surprised if they handed the song to Mike instead of one of the other guys.

kiwi surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: November 24, 2015, 11:15:38 AM »

Mike sang lead on Help Me Rhonda last night too. John Cowsill on Cottonfields and Sail on Sailor.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 11:18:32 AM by kiwi surfer » Logged
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: November 24, 2015, 05:06:11 PM »

I'm not sure how I feel about this.  I wonder how it sounded. I am having flashbacks to when Mike would try to sing over Al in the early 80s such as Knebworth and it was not good.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1769 on: November 25, 2015, 06:07:43 AM »

I'm not sure how I feel about this.  I wonder how it sounded. I am having flashbacks to when Mike would try to sing over Al in the early 80s such as Knebworth and it was not good.

And that was when there were doing the song in a different, lower key. I'm curious why they would go to the trouble of switching it up and having Mike sing it, since they would either have to lower the key quite a bit or have Mike sing it a full octave lower or something, which would be weird.

Or I dunno, maybe he's actually trying to sing it in the same key as Al does it. But considering Mike lowers the key on at least a few songs like "It's OK", I would tend to doubt it.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1770 on: November 25, 2015, 06:35:50 AM »

And that was when there were doing the song in a different, lower key. I'm curious why they would go to the trouble of switching it up and having Mike sing it, since they would either have to lower the key quite a bit or have Mike sing it a full octave lower or something, which would be weird.

Or I dunno, maybe he's actually trying to sing it in the same key as Al does it. But considering Mike lowers the key on at least a few songs like "It's OK", I would tend to doubt it.
Wild Honey was in that setlist.  It is very vocally taxing, I think.  And he is multi-tasking while he does it. 

No one has ever "owned" Rhonda, even if Al sang on their #1 hit. 

Dennis and Carl did Rhonda leads.  So if Mike did the lead, I'd say it was no big deal. And, I'd like to see that. 

Switching up is sometimes  great thing. I think it is Dennis on lead on MIC.  Someone will surely correct me if I am wrong.  LOL

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1771 on: November 25, 2015, 06:44:55 AM »

I'm not sure how I feel about this.  I wonder how it sounded. I am having flashbacks to when Mike would try to sing over Al in the early 80s such as Knebworth and it was not good.

Wild Honey was in that setlist.  It is very vocally taxing, I think.  And he is multi-tasking while he does it.  

Dennis and Carl did Rhonda leads.  So if Mike did the lead, I'd say it was no big deal. And, I'd like to see that.  

Switching up is sometimes  great thing. I think it is Dennis on lead on MIC.  Someone will surely correct me if I am wrong.  LOL

Never said anybody owned the song. I'm well aware of the lead vocal tradeoffs throughout the years. It's hardly a huge breaking story, especially within the context of Mike's current touring setup.

You don't have to defend Mike Love when someone simply says they're surprised he's singing something. Everything that doesn't read as a glowing review isn't meant negatively. Sheesh.

It's simply on a musical level more than anything else that I'm surprised they're having Mike sing the song, and I'm curious to see how they're going about it in terms of the key the song is performed in. I guess if you want to read something negative into everything, I would say my guess is that Mike wouldn't sound good singing it in the standard key they perform it in with Al singing. The same is true of Brian; before Al started singing with Brian, Brian sang it in a lower key too. Al's voice is in great shape, and I'm surprised even *he* still does the song in the key he sings it in.

Even back in the 70s when Carl or Dennis (or Al) took the lead, they performed it in a lower key. When Mike was for some reason kind of singing it along with Al in the 1980 timeframe, they were still performing it in a lower key. I think it was within a few years of that, around maybe 1981/82/83 or so, that they brought they key back up and Al usually sang it. Matt Jardine sang it a few times when Al missed gigs. Bill Champlin sang some of the lead I believe during the '89 "Beachago" tour.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 06:46:08 AM by HeyJude » Logged

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: November 25, 2015, 06:56:30 AM »

I'm not sure how I feel about this.  I wonder how it sounded. I am having flashbacks to when Mike would try to sing over Al in the early 80s such as Knebworth and it was not good.

Wild Honey was in that setlist.  It is very vocally taxing, I think.  And he is multi-tasking while he does it.  

Dennis and Carl did Rhonda leads.  So if Mike did the lead, I'd say it was no big deal. And, I'd like to see that.  

Switching up is sometimes  great thing. I think it is Dennis on lead on MIC.  Someone will surely correct me if I am wrong.  LOL

Never said anybody owned the song. I'm well aware of the lead vocal tradeoffs throughout the years. It's hardly a huge breaking story, especially within the context of Mike's current touring setup.

You don't have to defend Mike Love when someone simply says they're surprised he's singing something. Everything that doesn't read as a glowing review isn't meant negatively. Sheesh.

It's simply on a musical level more than anything else that I'm surprised they're having Mike sing the song, and I'm curious to see how they're going about it in terms of the key the song is performed in. I guess if you want to read something negative into everything, I would say my guess is that Mike wouldn't sound good singing it in the standard key they perform it in with Al singing. The same is true of Brian; before Al started singing with Brian, Brian sang it in a lower key too. Al's voice is in great shape, and I'm surprised even *he* still does the song in the key he sings it in.

Even back in the 70s when Carl or Dennis (or Al) took the lead, they performed it in a lower key. When Mike was for some reason kind of singing it along with Al in the 1980 timeframe, they were still performing it in a lower key. I think it was within a few years of that, around maybe 1981/82/83 or so, that they brought they key back up and Al usually sang it. Matt Jardine sang it a few times when Al missed gigs. Bill Champlin sang some of the lead I believe during the '89 "Beachago" tour.
Hey Jude - you fell into the trap.  I am not making a "judgment" rather an "observation."

You assume falsely that I was mounting a "Mike defense."  

And completely ignored the fact that Wild Honey was in the setlist.

They can arrange the setlist as they see fit for any reason, and have, historically.   Brian, Dennis, & Carl
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 06:57:45 AM by filledeplage » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1773 on: November 25, 2015, 07:12:53 AM »

Hey Jude - you fell into the trap.  I am not making a "judgment" rather an "observation."

They can arrange the setlist as they see fit for any reason, and have, historically.   Brian, Dennis, & Carl

I dunno. I don't try to "set traps" here, so good luck with that. I just discuss and comment.

And many of your posts are very much a clear "Mike defense."

When I *do* criticize Mike, I have no problem saying it's a criticism. If I'm defending a member, I have no problem saying so.

And, "Wild Honey" has nothing to do with what key they might perform Rhonda in. What am I ignoring? I'm not disagreeing with any theories as to why Cowsill isn't singing the song.

Mr. T played drums with the band. Perhaps we should discuss how *that* ties in with Mike singing Rhonda.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: November 25, 2015, 07:46:38 AM »

I dunno. I don't try to "set traps" here, so good luck with that. I just discuss and comment.

And many of your posts are very much a clear "Mike defense."

When I *do* criticize Mike, I have no problem saying it's a criticism. If I'm defending a member, I have no problem saying so.

And, "Wild Honey" has nothing to do with what key they might perform Rhonda in. What am I ignoring? I'm not disagreeing with any theories as to why Cowsill isn't singing the song.

Mr. T played drums with the band. Perhaps we should discuss how *that* ties in with Mike singing Rhonda.
Oh, please, HJ - what you fail to grasp is that some of us take the "Desper" approach, and seek a fairness standard for all band members.  When I joined this board, I didn't check the "Brian" fan box, the "Mike" fan box, but the Beach Boys fan box.

And as far as the "keys" issues, I learned something entirely different in Music Education. And, perhaps, for that context.  

So, my goal is always to have an open mind for each band member, living or dead.

On this board, Mike has been continuously attacked. Way more than Brian, whom I can assure you, during my high school and college years was often attacked.   Who defended Brian's absence publicly onstage?  Carl, Dennis and Mike.   I know because I am a witness to that.  So, when I read nonsense, that requires a response, then it happens.  

And seeing all this one sided, non time-contextualized "Mike crap" that just offends my personal sense of fairness.   And it is no different from much of that crap that circulated as to why Brian was not touring back-in-the-day.  The innuendo is just being sent in the direction of another band member.   Wink
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 07:48:41 AM by filledeplage » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx