gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:55:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 73 ... 75 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2015  (Read 390930 times)
KDS
« Reply #1675 on: August 31, 2015, 09:06:48 AM »

I must've missed that one. 

I was surprised they didn't play in at Wolf Trap, especially since they really seemed to concentrate on the pre Pet Sounds era at that show.  (Maybe because of the rare daytime start). 
Always lovely to hear it... Wink

Yes, but I wasn't too disappointed that The Beach Boys left In My Room out since I heard Brian do it back in June. 
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: August 31, 2015, 02:46:22 PM »

I've been looking at the setlists on setlist.fm.  I'm glad to see that the Mike and Bruce (and sometimes David) Beach Boys seem to have gotten away from the 33 song surf/car sets.  I see they're doing between 40-50 songs at most shows. 

I did notice that they don't do In My Room.  Does anyone know if there's a particular reason? 

They played "In My Room" in Lancaster but it was the first time I'd ever heard it outside of C50. So out of my six M&B shows, only once has it been played.

Until this summer, I thought perhaps they just simply didn't do it. I would guess it falls into the category of songs that Mike only likes to play at select venues. I know he's incredibly particular about this.
barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: August 31, 2015, 10:04:00 PM »

So I noticed that the MB tour schedule in October stops in Lima, Ohio on 10/18/2015.  All Ohioans know this is Al Jardine's hometown.  Any chance that the MB people "might" invite Al to participate in this evenings concert in Lima?  My gut feeling is it would be just a "damn nice" gesture on the part of the MB people and I'm sure Al probably (hoping) would be responsive to the olive branch extended.

Yes I know there was a big flap at the Jones Beach show last year where Al supposedly committed to the MB crew, the de-committed and went to London to play with Brian and his son Matt.

Thoughts from the crowd of Smiley Smilers ?     Selfishly, all I want is one last reunion tour before these guys hang it up and maybe this nice gesture could be a start of a small snowball becoming a bigger snowball rolling down the hill to that last reunion.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1678 on: August 31, 2015, 10:41:21 PM »

I'd be a real treat.  It would score BIG points with everybody.  If I had tickets and Al showed...I'd be SO pumped. w00t!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One thing I forgot about the show I saw.  They finish with Rock n Roll Music, Barbara Ann, Surfin USA, Kokomo, Fun Fun Fun and they're GONE.  The crowd wants more.  The party has been outstanding.  Well played.  Well sung.  Well DELIVERED.

But. [and it's a big BUT]

A rock 'n'roll show without an encore...as demanded by the audience who don't want it to end?  Keep 'em wanting more is a piss-poor excuse for not saving a couple of tunes for the always expected and generally delivered encore.  Brian 'fakes' one.  But I've been to his shows where the crowd wants more AFTER Love and Mercy.  And it doesn't happen.

2x Wrong...is just twice as wrong.

Come on Mike...and you TOO Brian.  There are nights when you have to let it roll on just a little bit beyond predictable.  THAT works.  Everybody wins. Rock! Rock! Rock! Rock! Rock! Rock!

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: August 31, 2015, 11:31:09 PM »

I'd be a real treat.  It would score BIG points with everybody.  If I had tickets and Al showed...I'd be SO pumped. w00t!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One thing I forgot about the show I saw.  They finish with Rock n Roll Music, Barbara Ann, Surfin USA, Kokomo, Fun Fun Fun and they're GONE.  The crowd wants more.  The party has been outstanding.  Well played.  Well sung.  Well DELIVERED.

A rock 'n'roll show without an encore...as demanded by the audience who don't want it to end?  Keep 'em wanting more is a piss-poor excuse for not saving a couple of tunes for the always expected and generally delivered encore.  Brian 'fakes' one.  But I've been to his shows where the crowd wants more AFTER Love and Mercy.  And it doesn't happen.

Come on Mike...and you TOO Brian.  There are nights when you have to let it roll on just a little bit beyond predictable.  THAT works.  Everybody wins. Rock! Rock! Rock! Rock! Rock! Rock!

It's usually limited by venue time curfews. I forget the exact numbers, but if an artist goes even one minute over the 11:30/11:45 cutoff, they're fined thousands.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1680 on: September 01, 2015, 04:00:58 AM »

I thought that might be it.  By-laws.  'Noise'.  Solution?  Start the show 15 minutes earlier.  It ain't that hard to figure out.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1681 on: September 01, 2015, 04:26:17 AM »

So I noticed that the MB tour schedule in October stops in Lima, Ohio on 10/18/2015.  All Ohioans know this is Al Jardine's hometown.  Any chance that the MB people "might" invite Al to participate in this evenings concert in Lima?  My gut feeling is it would be just a "damn nice" gesture on the part of the MB people and I'm sure Al probably (hoping) would be responsive to the olive branch extended.

Yes I know there was a big flap at the Jones Beach show last year where Al supposedly committed to the MB crew, the de-committed and went to London to play with Brian and his son Matt.

Thoughts from the crowd of Smiley Smilers ?     Selfishly, all I want is one last reunion tour before these guys hang it up and maybe this nice gesture could be a start of a small snowball becoming a bigger snowball rolling down the hill to that last reunion.

Doable - Brian has no dates currently scheduled between 10/10 and 10/23.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: September 01, 2015, 04:45:18 AM »

It's usually limited by venue time curfews. I forget the exact numbers, but if an artist goes even one minute over the 11:30/11:45 cutoff, they're fined thousands.

A similar thing happened at the Grand Rapids show at the end of July.  Mike left the stage after Surfin' USA, but at least Cowsill, maybe others, stayed on and they almost went right into Kokomo. It was clear they were trying to demonstrate an encore break. Noise curfew was certainly the reason that night (as was a shorter set combined with the Temptations).
KDS
« Reply #1683 on: September 01, 2015, 05:46:19 AM »

I thought that might be it.  By-laws.  'Noise'.  Solution?  Start the show 15 minutes earlier.  It ain't that hard to figure out.

That's odd.  At the Wolf Trap show, they closed the set with Barbara Ann and Surfin USA.  Then, came back and did an encore of Kokomo and Fun Fun Fun. 

I guess it depends on the venue. 
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: September 01, 2015, 07:36:42 AM »

That's odd.  At the Wolf Trap show, they closed the set with Barbara Ann and Surfin USA.  Then, came back and did an encore of Kokomo and Fun Fun Fun. 

I guess it depends on the venue. 

Same at Lancaster...come to think of it, I've never seen ANY beach boy NOT do an encore.....  Roll Eyes
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: September 01, 2015, 12:47:13 PM »

So I noticed that the MB tour schedule in October stops in Lima, Ohio on 10/18/2015.  All Ohioans know this is Al Jardine's hometown.  Any chance that the MB people "might" invite Al to participate in this evenings concert in Lima?  My gut feeling is it would be just a "damn nice" gesture on the part of the MB people and I'm sure Al probably (hoping) would be responsive to the olive branch extended.

Thoughts from the crowd of Smiley Smilers ?     Selfishly, all I want is one last reunion tour before these guys hang it up and maybe this nice gesture could be a start of a small snowball becoming a bigger snowball rolling down the hill to that last reunion.

Hmmm....and so The Beach Boys finally break up for good on a deserted tarmac in the middle of Lima Ohio, October 18, 2015.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 12:51:09 PM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: September 01, 2015, 06:27:41 PM »

So I noticed that the MB tour schedule in October stops in Lima, Ohio on 10/18/2015.  All Ohioans know this is Al Jardine's hometown.  Any chance that the MB people "might" invite Al to participate in this evenings concert in Lima?  My gut feeling is it would be just a "damn nice" gesture on the part of the MB people and I'm sure Al probably (hoping) would be responsive to the olive branch extended.

Thoughts from the crowd of Smiley Smilers ?     Selfishly, all I want is one last reunion tour before these guys hang it up and maybe this nice gesture could be a start of a small snowball becoming a bigger snowball rolling down the hill to that last reunion.

Hmmm....and so The Beach Boys finally break up for good on a deserted tarmac in the middle of Lima Ohio, October 18, 2015.

Doable - It's Lima, so everything's deserted
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: September 08, 2015, 04:30:03 PM »

Not a chance.
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: September 08, 2015, 06:19:20 PM »

Interesting, http://www.mikelove.com/ now just redirects to his facebook page???
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: September 08, 2015, 06:51:44 PM »

makes perfect sense. why host another website when all your real fans are on FB?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1690 on: September 08, 2015, 08:27:46 PM »

Goodbye, sweet Vibe Room. We'll always remember you!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1691 on: September 09, 2015, 06:40:19 AM »

What happened to The Vibe Room?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: September 09, 2015, 07:16:12 AM »

Another flop by Mike Love.   LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
KDS
« Reply #1693 on: September 09, 2015, 07:45:19 AM »

Too bad they didn't do the same setlist from Ocean Grove, NJ 8/22/15 the next day when I saw them:

All I Wanna Do and Warmth of the Sun back to back!!! 
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: September 09, 2015, 01:15:57 PM »

Another flop by Mike Love.   LOL

He forgot to replace the batteries.  Wink

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1695 on: September 24, 2015, 12:38:11 AM »

Here’s the set list and some photos for the first of two shows at Humphreys, San Diego, Sunday night Sept. 20.

Sail On Sailor was sung by Mike’s daughter Ambha, member of the unfortunately short lived (at least so far) BB's sons and daughters group California Saga.

NBA Hall of Famer and local resident Bill Walton briefly appeared on stage with the guys, wearing his signature Grateful Deal t-shirt.

Also appearing in this photo sequence are Mr. and Mrs. Custom Machine in front of the stage. As aging Baby Boomers, Mr. and Mrs. Custom Machine first met in Nov. 1965, when The Little Girl I Once Knew first hit the charts. Their first date, a Rolling Stones concert, took place in November 1969, midway between the release of Break Away on Capitol and Add Some Music to Your Day on Brother/Reprise, unfortunately a low point in the Beach Boys US popularity. The future Mr. and Mrs. Custom Machine's first Beach Boys concert together occurred on December 4, 1971 at the San Diego Sports Arena, where a 30 year old Mike Love mimicked using a mic stand as a cane and described the band as “an aging rock group”.

Mr. and Mrs. Custom Machine were married in March 1974, midway between the release of The Beach Boys in Concert and Endless Summer. Forever was played on piano at their wedding ceremony, and the original recording from Sunflower, along with numerous BB tunes, with heavy emphasis on stuff from The Beach Boys in Concert, were played at the party afterward. At this point the Beach Boys had experienced a huge upswing in popularity, which was to increase further with Endless Summer reaching number one on the charts a few months later.

While the BB Dec. 4, 1971 concert at the San Diego Sports Arena attracted only 2,000 fans, their show three years later, on Dec. 30, 1973 at the same venue, was sold out with an attendance of 12,700. This was just weeks after the release of The Beach Boys in Concert and eight months before the release of Endless Summer. As related in Ian Rusten and Jon Stebbins' book The Beach Boys in concert, the San Diego Union review of the Dec. 1971 concert stated that the BBs should realize that their era was over and that the group was far to old to be singing such ditties as Surfer Girl, Wouldn’t It Be Nice, and Sloop John B.

Back to the 9-20-2015 Humphreys set list - we saw a great concert, but I was dismayed that the BBs played two shows that evening, with the result being that Do You Wanna Dance and Rock n Roll Music, although they appear on the set list, were not played during the first show, starting at 6 PM and attended by Mr. and Mrs. Custom Machine. The second show, beginning at 8:30 PM, was roughly twenty minutes longer, as Mr. and Mrs. Machine, sitting on their hotel room balcony, heard All I Wanna Do (from my favorite album of all time and a song I had really hoped to hear in concert that evening) along with Do You Wanna Dance, Rock n Roll Music, Disney Girls, and Wild Honey.

KDS
« Reply #1696 on: September 24, 2015, 05:18:06 AM »

Nice review.  I have to give those guys a ton of credit for two shows in a day.  Wow. 

I do wish that All I Wanna Do would become a mainstay in the setlist, instead of showing up here and there.  Maybe it could replace, I dunno, Goin to the Beach as a staple.
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: September 24, 2015, 07:36:35 AM »

Nice review! Thanks for sharing your BB history!
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: September 24, 2015, 07:50:59 AM »

went to the show in Bakersfield last night, same set list as above minus Pisces and Sailor.  The band played to an overflow crowd of 2,000 plus at the Kern County Fair, which is depressing when you consider The Beach Boys  played before 50,000 at Bonnaroo in 2012 (and the 25 year old kid next to me last night was at that show and said they stole festival) but I digress. They played a solid show, Foskett and Totten were outstanding, Love was workmanlike.  Johnston (who was very pleasant last night personally, btw), struggled with his lead vocals, esp. on YSGTM. I will say that while this band puts on a good show, is musically very tight, and is MUCH better than when I last saw them 10 years ago (thanks to B. Eichenberger and J. Foskett), they REALLY miss the vocals of one A. Jardine. He alone could elevate this group to another stratosphere.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: October 02, 2015, 06:14:06 AM »

I'm not sure why this writer thinks M&B's Tyler, TX show is a reunion date, but he does:

Good Vibrations: The Beach Boys celebrates 50th anniversary at Cowan Center
http://www.tylerpaper.com/TP-News+Local/224808/good-vibrations-the-beach-boys-celebrates-50th-anniversary-at-cowan-center

Shocked
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 73 ... 75 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx