gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:44:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 75 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2015  (Read 390990 times)
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1600 on: July 29, 2015, 05:29:07 PM »

A week this Saturday...I'll be there for my first Beach Boys show since before Carl took ill.  Can't wait.  Seen Brian lots.  This'll be a different 'take' a a basic theme which appeals to me mightily.

The fact that Jeff'll be there is a HUGE bonus.  Lookin' forward to hearing that Cowsill guy too.  {And Scott as well.  Somebody has to run the show}

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: July 29, 2015, 10:14:37 PM »

More shows?    could this be a record year?Huh  how many shows total including Germany?   Impressive work ethic......

Andrew and other data crunchers;   Where does 2015 stand in terms of number of shows?     Gotta be close
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: July 29, 2015, 11:01:06 PM »

Mike 'We're up to about 265 shows this year .'

http://qctimes.com/entertainment/keeping-beach-boys-sound-is-a-labor-of-love/article_ddd38bef-b86b-593b-a002-dcf7ecf28e80.html
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1603 on: July 30, 2015, 12:44:20 AM »

More shows?    could this be a record year?Huh  how many shows total including Germany?   Impressive work ethic......

Andrew and other data crunchers;   Where does 2015 stand in terms of number of shows?     Gotta be close

Including scheduled shows yet to be played ?  I could be an arse and say "go to 10452 and count them yourself" but as I'm a sunbeam for Jesus these days, it's 141 as of 27 seconds ago.

Record ? Nope (totals mostly exclude private shows):

1982 - 176
1988 - 176
1987 - 159
1999 - 159
1964 - 149
1962 - 148 [includes promo appearances playing just two or three songs]
1966 - 146
2005 - 145

265 shows this year ? Ummm... think I need to have a word with the boss young master Love...

That's an interesting interview, well worth doing that dumbass survey: iffn I didn't know better, I'd swear I'm hearing the sound of olive branches being waved.  Grin
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 12:53:35 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: July 30, 2015, 02:04:12 AM »

I think its a miss-print. Only last week it was 165.

LOVE: We are going to end up doing about 165 shows this year.

http://observer.com/2015/07/beyond-the-life-of-brian-the-myth-of-the-lesser-beach-boys/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1605 on: July 30, 2015, 02:13:34 AM »

Add in a score of private shows, yeah, sounds about right.

Interesting milestone approaching at warp speed: allowing for the inevitable problems with researching - even Ian can't list a gig where there's no mention in the media whatsoever, not forgetting the private shows - and plain poor math (that'll be me), on August 2nd, since late December 1961 a band billed as The Beach Boys, or The Beach Boys as we known them under another name, will have played 6,000 live shows, ranging from a single a capella song at the White House in 1985 to the 60 song sets of 2012.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 02:30:36 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: July 30, 2015, 03:56:56 AM »

Concerning the German dates: It's a Night of the Proms tour where multiple artists perform with an orchestra and choir. It may be just Mike, Bruce, Scott, Jeff and Brian on vocals (and guitar) performing three songs per night.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1607 on: July 30, 2015, 04:18:22 AM »

Concerning the German dates: It's a Night of the Proms tour where multiple artists perform with an orchestra and choir. It may be just Mike, Bruce, Scott, Jeff and Brian on vocals (and guitar) performing three songs per night.

Is it just Beach Boys songs that will be performed by the various artists?

GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: July 30, 2015, 04:36:40 AM »

No, only the Beach Boys themselves will perform BB-material.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1609 on: July 30, 2015, 04:53:55 AM »

No, only the Beach Boys themselves will perform BB-material.

ah ok, not gonna go for the sake of 3 songs if thats the case, will wait for more info I guess

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1610 on: July 30, 2015, 07:26:27 AM »

Rocker
"I know the guys are good. And I am sure that the concert will be a lot of fun. But as I said, after seeing the Beach Boys, I really don't feel much need to see any of the splinter groups (Mike&Bruce or Brian&Al&Blondie)."

you must attend.  otherwise, someday you will wish you had.

- i know

As I said, I'm sure it will be a cool show (thanks to youtube etc. I have seen/heard some of their shows). but I have no desire to see them - or Brian&Al for that matter - outside of the Beach Boys. Thankfully I had the opportunity in 2012. Should that happen again (and I don't expect that) I probably will attend a show if I can make it. So, I definitely won't regret not going.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: July 30, 2015, 12:32:05 PM »

Now he wants 2 rooms..one with Brian to write in and one with Al to meditate in!  Seriously though, looking forward to seeing the new incarnation with Brian E. in a few weeks and hoping for some rarities in a small theatre show.
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: July 30, 2015, 10:13:02 PM »

I just got back from seeing Mike and Bruce for the first time. Great show! I stuck around afterwards and got Bruce to sign a few things, including a copy of “Symphonic Sounds”. He saw it and seemed excited, saying, “You know we got the Royal Philharmonic on that?!” He said that he’s going to buy the master tapes for the album. When he said that I immediately thought that the folks here would get a kick out of knowing that Bruce apparently wants to reissue it  Cheesy

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1613 on: July 31, 2015, 03:25:16 AM »

I just got back from seeing Mike and Bruce for the first time. Great show! I stuck around afterwards and got Bruce to sign a few things, including a copy of “Symphonic Sounds”. He saw it and seemed excited, saying, “You know we got the Royal Philharmonic on that?!” He said that he’s going to buy the master tapes for the album. When he said that I immediately thought that the folks here would get a kick out of knowing that Bruce apparently wants to reissue it  Cheesy

Could've been a very interesting release. There are some points in it that show it mainly in the big suites, for example the lonesome fiddle playing the melody of Surfer Girl. But also Matt Jardine's Darlin' sounds very cool, GOK is fantastic. But mostly  it is just the typical "Let's put strings above that" mentality and take songs that don't lend themselves very well to orchestral backing if you don't completely reimagine the arrangements.  
I will give GOK a listen later today when I am home. It really is a beautiful version.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 03:28:10 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Sandy Baby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: July 31, 2015, 05:10:17 PM »

Thank you for posting that!    Transcendental Meditation

Listen, listen, listen...
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: August 01, 2015, 07:01:43 PM »

Well, I attended the Brian Wilson show in Detroit on July 5 and people were appreciative of that review, so I figured I would give my thoughts on the M&B Beach Boys show at Meijer Gardens in Grand Rapids, Michigan on July 31.

This date included the Temptations opening. I arrived early due to Meijer Gardens being an outdoor, general admission venue. The Temptations band was soundchecking for the hour before the gates opened, I did not hear any soundcheck from the Beach Boys, aside from some mic and instrument checks. Last year, at the same venue, I could hear the band soundcheck from outside, but guessing it didn't happen since VIP experience was not sold for this venue (and I don't think it's been available for any U.S. dates since the UK tour).

First, a quick photo of the merch booth:

I'm personally not at all impressed with the offerings. I was ready to pick up a few things, but none of the tour shirts did much for me, the tour program was priced a bit high at $30 (ended up not pulling the trigger). Why not more/better non-tour specific merch??? I did pick-up the blue "Summer Days" hat for $30.

The Temptations started early at 6:30pm. They were entertaining and got a good reaction on the major hits, but I felt their set was a bit long going a full hour. It wouldn't have been a problem, except I knew this venue had a 10pm curfew, meaning this was going to cut into the time available to the Beach Boys. I was hopeful that the backing horn section was going to stick around for the Beach Boys set, but no dice...

The Beach Boys came on stage around 8:10pm, and ran through Surfin', Catch A Wave, It's OK, Little Honda, Do It Again, Goin' to the Beach, and Surfin' Safari. All very well executed with the crowd up on their feet the entire time. Then with a good amount of sunlight Mike did his typical iPhone flashlight bit, which was just odd since it was going to add no benefit. I know this is part of the show, but it seemed like a good time to skip the shtick. Brian Eichenberger was excellent on Farmer's Daughter, seriously great addition to the touring band.

The car songs section was a crowd pleaser and where this band really excels (I thought it was the weakest part of the BW set). Brian, again, was excellent on I Can Hear Music. Jeff was an improvement over John on Darlin', this was an excellent change over the show last year. God Only Knows with Carl on the lead vocal is still goosebump inducing. Pisces Brother went over like a lead balloon, just like it did last year at the same venue. From Good Vibrations through Fun, Fun, Fun; the crowd was on it's feet and the band was in top form.

Some photos:

I was able to get Bruce's setlist at the end of the show:

Some additional takeaways:

- For all the swipes at Mike and Bruce having ragged vocals due to over touring, I thought they both came off very well and the overall group blend is excellent. This was the fourth show in four nights coming off a short break.
- Due to the opener and 10pm curfew, they took no intermission break, cut probably 10 songs (based off other recent setlists), no Bruce showcase (Disney Girls), and only Mike left the stage to signify the end of the main set and was off for less than 30 seconds before they started the encore. This was the epitome of a meat and potatoes show. After seeing the UK setlists, I had really raised hope--there is really nothing they could have done, short of starting earlier or not having the Temptations open.
- Adding the Temptations to the bill is/was puzzling. They sold out within hours of the tickets going on sale and based on last year, didn't need the additional draw to do so. I would have much preferred the additional Beach Boys tunes.
- I know it's never going to happen, but I would like to see Rhonda dropped from the setlist. John does an admirable job on Rhonda, but it just seems weird to do it with Al alive an well. Kind of like how McCartney stays away from Lennon leads at his solo shows.
- I know it has been said many times, but this band is really good. They are all topnotch musicians and the vocals are impressive.
- Having now heard Matt Jardine, Jeff Foskett and Brian Eichenberger within a month, they all provide excellent falsettos. To my ears, I give Brian the edge.
- My parents (mid-60s) joined my wife and me for the show. My parents are casual fans and this was their first BB's concert experience. They were truly blown away and already asking me for suggestions on additional CDs they should purchase (they only have 20 Good Vibrations, The Greatest Hits: Volume 1). I think they are representative of your typical BB concertgoer and they were thrilled with the experience and felt it was money well spent.
- I would love to see the living members come together one more time (I missed out on C50), but both Mike & Bruce and Brian, Al & Blondie are doing well by the Beach Boys legacy. Do not hesitate to see either of these bands.
- Local review of the show:  http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2015/08/fun_fun_fun_with_the_beach_boy.html
barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: August 01, 2015, 07:53:21 PM »

Marty....great review....and a great venue.....hope it wasn't too hot and muggy !!!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: August 02, 2015, 02:58:36 AM »

My new favorite clip of 'Barbara Ann'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA4RMidjpKo

Wink
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: August 02, 2015, 09:36:16 AM »

Great review, Marty.  The Temptations will be playing here as well, disappointing to hear they were out there for an hour.  They only have a few songs I like.  Too bad on the meat and potatoes set list, too.  Maybe they will add in a few more since I don't believe there is a curfew at Riverbend.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: August 05, 2015, 10:46:31 AM »

Well, I attended the Brian Wilson show in Detroit on July 5 and people were appreciative of that review, so I figured I would give my thoughts on the M&B Beach Boys show at Meijer Gardens in Grand Rapids, Michigan on July 31.

This date included the Temptations opening. I arrived early due to Meijer Gardens being an outdoor, general admission venue. The Temptations band was soundchecking for the hour before the gates opened, I did not hear any soundcheck from the Beach Boys, aside from some mic and instrument checks. Last year, at the same venue, I could hear the band soundcheck from outside, but guessing it didn't happen since VIP experience was not sold for this venue (and I don't think it's been available for any U.S. dates since the UK tour).

The Temptations started early at 6:30pm. They were entertaining and got a good reaction on the major hits, but I felt their set was a bit long going a full hour. It wouldn't have been a problem, except I knew this venue had a 10pm curfew, meaning this was going to cut into the time available to the Beach Boys. I was hopeful that the backing horn section was going to stick around for the Beach Boys set, but no dice...

The Beach Boys came on stage around 8:10pm, and ran through Surfin', Catch A Wave, It's OK, Little Honda, Do It Again, Goin' to the Beach, and Surfin' Safari. All very well executed with the crowd up on their feet the entire time. Then with a good amount of sunlight Mike did his typical iPhone flashlight bit, which was just odd since it was going to add no benefit. I know this is part of the show, but it seemed like a good time to skip the shtick. Brian Eichenberger was excellent on Farmer's Daughter, seriously great addition to the touring band.

The car songs section was a crowd pleaser and where this band really excels (I thought it was the weakest part of the BW set). Brian, again, was excellent on I Can Hear Music. Jeff was an improvement over John on Darlin', this was an excellent change over the show last year. God Only Knows with Carl on the lead vocal is still goosebump inducing. Pisces Brother went over like a lead balloon, just like it did last year at the same venue. From Good Vibrations through Fun, Fun, Fun; the crowd was on it's feet and the band was in top form.

I was able to get Bruce's setlist at the end of the show:

Some additional takeaways:

- For all the swipes at Mike and Bruce having ragged vocals due to over touring, I thought they both came off very well and the overall group blend is excellent. This was the fourth show in four nights coming off a short break.
- Due to the opener and 10pm curfew, they took no intermission break, cut probably 10 songs (based off other recent setlists), no Bruce showcase (Disney Girls), and only Mike left the stage to signify the end of the main set and was off for less than 30 seconds before they started the encore. This was the epitome of a meat and potatoes show. After seeing the UK setlists, I had really raised hope--there is really nothing they could have done, short of starting earlier or not having the Temptations open.
- Adding the Temptations to the bill is/was puzzling. They sold out within hours of the tickets going on sale and based on last year, didn't need the additional draw to do so. I would have much preferred the additional Beach Boys tunes.
- I know it's never going to happen, but I would like to see Rhonda dropped from the setlist. John does an admirable job on Rhonda, but it just seems weird to do it with Al alive an well. Kind of like how McCartney stays away from Lennon leads at his solo shows.
- I know it has been said many times, but this band is really good. They are all topnotch musicians and the vocals are impressive.
- Having now heard Matt Jardine, Jeff Foskett and Brian Eichenberger within a month, they all provide excellent falsettos. To my ears, I give Brian the edge.
- My parents (mid-60s) joined my wife and me for the show. My parents are casual fans and this was their first BB's concert experience. They were truly blown away and already asking me for suggestions on additional CDs they should purchase (they only have 20 Good Vibrations, The Greatest Hits: Volume 1). I think they are representative of your typical BB concertgoer and they were thrilled with the experience and felt it was money well spent.
- I would love to see the living members come together one more time (I missed out on C50), but both Mike & Bruce and Brian, Al & Blondie are doing well by the Beach Boys legacy. Do not hesitate to see either of these bands.
- Local review of the show:  http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2015/08/fun_fun_fun_with_the_beach_boy.html

The Surf and Soul Tour came to Cincinnati at Riverbend last night.  It was at the smaller PNC Pavilion, so my seats were a lot closer than I had anticipated, which was great.  The Temptations came on right around 8pm as scheduled.  The crowd never got really into it except for the last song, "My Girl".  Probably the only reason for that is it's played on Skyline Chili commercials, which is an extremely popular local chain.  They also ended up being out there for an hour or so.  One reason I think the crowd was not into it as much the mix was not very good.  A lot of times you couldn't really hear what was being sung because the instruments were too loud.  Other times the larger guy would just be screaming into the mic and that was not pleasant.  I'm not familiar with their lesser know music, so maybe that's how it was originally sung.  They also spent a good 15 minutes basically talking about themselves, which I don't think too many people cared for, either. 

You know who the crowd came to see when The Beach Boys logo popped up on the screen.  The place erupted into cheers.  The set started with Wink Martindale introducing a "new" group called The Beach Boys and Surfin' came on with the band coming out shortly after to play about 30 seconds of it.  I thought it was pretty cool how they did that.

I had never really heard Farmer's Daughter before, but it sounded amazing.  didn't get a huge reaction out of the crowd, but I thought it sounded great.  The setlist was mostly the same as above, except Betsy and It's Ok were removed and Their Hearts Were Full of Spring was added.  That was a plus for me because I've always wanted to hear it live and it's a prime example of why I came to love this band: the great harmony.  You're So Good To Me was also added.  Bruce struggled on parts of it with his voice randomly cutting out.  The moments where he took a deep breath a really belted it out he sounded great, though. 

Pisces Brothers got a big positive reaction from the crowd, which I was very surprised at.  I'll admit, it actually sounded pretty good, though.  This could also be because Mike sounded pre 1975 on this song.  It was odd because on most of the other songs he sounded more nasally than usual.  I guess he's having issues with it again.

Like with the Tempations, the mix was not very good.  However, with Mike's voice it was more bearable.  The Brian and Jeff leads on I Can Hear Music and Darlin were very bad, though.  I was beginning to think I was going to have hearing loss after that set was over. 

Overall I had a blast, though.  This is a great rock band that adds a lot of edginess to the songs you won't hear on the studio recordings.  If Mike ever does a re-recordings album, I hope the music is played like it is in concert.  One of my friends I brought is really into hip hop/rap and all of those sort of things that have a lot of bass in them and he had a great time.  Otherwise he doesn't like the vast majority of their songs when I play them in the car or when we're over each other's houses. 
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1620 on: August 05, 2015, 01:10:22 PM »

I'd f**king love to see the Temptations, you ingrates!  LOL
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: August 05, 2015, 04:15:19 PM »

Haha, it's not that I don't like them, but I came to see The Beach Boys.  Would rather have them playing a full set and see The Temptations some other time.

On another note, interesting comments from Bruce about possible new recordings.  Someone earlier in this thread also mentioned that Mike said he also wanted to do a symphonic album.

http://www.nuvo.net/indianapolis/beach-boys-ride-the-wave-to-the-lawn/Content?oid=3382031
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: August 05, 2015, 04:41:18 PM »

WHY?  OH, I get it, it's that Highlander thing

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: August 05, 2015, 06:40:06 PM »

Are there actually any original Temptations still touring?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: August 05, 2015, 06:41:35 PM »

Otis Williams. Undecided

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 75 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx