gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 03:12:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 ... 75 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2015  (Read 393815 times)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: June 01, 2015, 03:28:38 PM »

I'm new here, can you define a Kokomaoist? It seems it is being used in a derogatory manor and I'm curious if I fall in this category...

For the record, I love the Beach Boys. I was introduced to their music at a young age (in the 1980s), but happen to enjoy the song Kokomo (already a fan when it came out). I also happen to believe all the members of the band have their flaws. Some seem to be forgiven no matter how terrible their actions, while others can never live them down.

If you'd rather just enjoy the music instead of obsessing over inter band politics and relationships (with a 99.9% pro Brian slant), then you are a card carrying Kokomaoist I'm afraid. 

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: June 01, 2015, 03:36:25 PM »

Maybe it's because there are so many Brian leads which is not a common thing for a Beach Boys album.

But just like we were talking about EARLIER, this is one of the Brian solo albums with the Boys as guests. So, in some respects I can see that comparison coming with TWGMTR.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: June 01, 2015, 04:21:45 PM »

Maybe it's because there are so many Brian leads which is not a common thing for a Beach Boys album.

But just like we were talking about EARLIER, this is one of the Brian solo albums with the Boys as guests. So, in some respects I can see that comparison coming with TWGMTR.

Brian solo album to whom? Both were conceived as Beach Boys projects. And besides on single ("Caroline No"), both were issued as such. Fans can make whatever distinctions they want, but Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, TWGTMTR, whatever, they're all The Beach Boys, and if Brian wanted them to be something else, they would've been.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: June 01, 2015, 04:40:04 PM »

Brian solo album to whom? Both were conceived as Beach Boys projects. And besides on single ("Caroline No"), both were issued as such. Fans can make whatever distinctions they want, but Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, TWGTMTR, whatever, they're all The Beach Boys, and if Brian wanted them to be something else, they would've been.
Was just referring back to post 1394 from this afternoon. You and I are in agreement.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: June 01, 2015, 04:40:39 PM »

One album out of 29?  You sure proved your point!  Wink

Thank you CK!  Jim I'm well aware Brian sings lots of leads on Pet Sounds.  But as CK said that was a rarity.  The leads were spread out on most BB albums (which is what I said).  And backing vocals were done by the Boys on most albums (Pet Sounds included).  Do you think TWGMTR had the classic Beach Boys blend?

For the record, I love a Wall of Brian's!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: June 01, 2015, 06:57:21 PM »

We know what you and others believe regarding Mike's actions and sayings, because you remind us in every thread you post in. Can't you just let go a little bit?

I can, and I will try... but I also ask you this question... do you not also see the flipside of what you are saying is also an "issue" on this board as well? Meaning, a group of people who are unable to aim any criticism, real or even hypothetical, towards one particular bandmate, under seemingly any circumstances, and avoid/duck questions which could possibly involve them being critical? Do you not see that strange phenomenon as an instance where those people also need to "let go a little bit" of their refusal to back down from their starry-eyed blind praise? You can't have it both ways, where there's a desire to have some people cease critical comments... while the complete lack of critical comments from another group of people, even when criticism would obviously be warranted, is considered perfectly acceptable, reasonable, and rational.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: June 01, 2015, 07:02:37 PM »

We know what you and others believe regarding Mike's actions and sayings, because you remind us in every thread you post in. Can't you just let go a little bit?

I can, and I will try... but I also ask you this question... do you not also see the flipside of what you are saying is also an "issue" on this board as well? Meaning, a group of people who are unable to aim any criticism, real or even hypothetical, towards one particular bandmate, under seemingly any circumstances, and avoid/duck questions which could possibly involve them being critical? Do you not see that strange phenomenon as an instance where those people also need to "let go a little bit" of their refusal to back down from their starry-eyed blind praise? You can't have it both ways, where there's a desire to have some people cease critical comments... while the complete lack of critical comments from another group of people, even when criticism would obviously be warranted, is considered perfectly acceptable, reasonable, and rational.

The last time I strayed away from this board is because a large amount of members attacked me with the same "starry-eyed blind praise" you mention above for our resident genius, Brian Wilson. The point is, there are very few on this board that seem to be able or interested in observing every aspect of the "band" currently (if you even want to call The Beach Boys a band anymore). Very few of them are for Mike Love, an insanely massive and offensively vocal amount of them are for Brian Wilson. It's very clear to everyone here, and not here.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: June 01, 2015, 08:41:02 PM »

The last time I strayed away from this board is because a large amount of members attacked me with the same "starry-eyed blind praise" you mention above for our resident genius, Brian Wilson. The point is, there are very few on this board that seem to be able or interested in observing every aspect of the "band" currently (if you even want to call The Beach Boys a band anymore). Very few of them are for Mike Love, an insanely massive and offensively vocal amount of them are for Brian Wilson. It's very clear to everyone here, and not here.

Not sure why this has to be some sort of competition, or attempt to even out things. It's not an even thing to judge, because the two are very different people with different histories. Two wrongs (differencing types of extremism) don't make a right. I almost feel like the people on this board who are unable to say a critical thing about Mike became that way out of feeling pity for how much admittedly unfairly vicious and over-the-top hatred from others that he gets on the web, as opposed to an actual true belief in the things they themselves either say (or can't bring themselves to critically say). Maybe the anti-extremists made them pro-extremists of their own; it doesn't make it right either way.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 08:44:48 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: June 01, 2015, 10:04:55 PM »

Not sure why this has to be some sort of competition, or attempt to even out things. It's not an even thing to judge, because the two are very different people with different histories. Two wrongs (differencing types of extremism) don't make a right. I almost feel like the people on this board who are unable to say a critical thing about Mike became that way out of feeling pity for how much admittedly unfairly vicious and over-the-top hatred from others that he gets on the web, as opposed to an actual true belief in the things they themselves either say (or can't bring themselves to critically say). Maybe the anti-extremists made them pro-extremists of their own; it doesn't make it right either way.

This sounds silly but...is there really anyone on this board that has not said a bad thing about Mike Love? I mean, it's nearly an impossible task for any human being. While I don't agree with it, I do understand how the Brianista's live in this bubble of Brian can do no wrong since he is constantly praised in the public eye...but Mike Love? He's practically that man you...love...to hate. There's no way anyone can take all this man's actions seriously. But as far as the MUSIC matters, him and Brian really are't doing anything that varies all that greatly in quality, so why can't we all just enjoy it and discuss it....and let the Beach Boys, the band, the family...sort out THEIR problems.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: June 01, 2015, 10:07:09 PM »

Last time I checked, it appeared that many people seem to enjoy this board.

Last time I checked, that "many" has been noticeably decreasing over the past few years.  God knows I'm hanging around less, because of all the mean-spiritedness.

At the moment I'm just hoping to get my thoughts together for my much-delayed No Pier Pressure review -- maybe that'll boost my personal signal-to-noise ratio...

Regards,
Jon Blum
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1485 on: June 01, 2015, 11:10:15 PM »

No wonder you've changed from cheers to regards! I say we all chip in and send him a cake in the form of Dalek! ...and do finish your review, curious to hear what you make of it.
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: June 02, 2015, 02:23:03 AM »

Just listened to the RAH version of All I Wanna Do. OK, Mike is no longer young, he can't help that. Still IMO one of, if not THE, finest Mike Love lyrics.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1487 on: June 02, 2015, 03:17:06 AM »

Reading this thread, it's obvious that I need to nail my colours to the mast in unequivocal manner. Thus:

I am first and foremost a fan of The Beach Boys, and secondarily of the individual members. As 2012 proved, the whole far exceeds the sum of the parts, but I'm not a fanatic. This band has recorded and released some shockingly poor material, given some lamentably concerts and made some - many ? - disasterous career decisions. Still love 'em, but not even close to unconditionally.

I have no problem with informed, rational debate, however impassioned and forceful. It's the lifeblood of forums like these, and, indeed, civilisation at large.

I have no problem with people preferring Brian over Mike, Beatles over Stones, day over night or boys over girls. That's their prerogative.

The problem I do have is with those who have a viewpoint as limited as their means of expression, yet who insist in continually forcing it upon us way past the point of absurdity and who have no scruples about derailing any given thread (primo example - you're reading it). I was told that designating them f*uckwits & sh*tweasels is insulting. Well, yeah, it's intended to be. Because so are they. They are also, of course, trolls of the first rank.

Time for a rest...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: June 02, 2015, 04:24:11 AM »

Maybe I just wasn't watching him closely, but I don't recall Bruce adjusting his microphone stand much at all.

You missed about three lead vocals, including a spankingly good "Disney Girls".

I heard the songs, just didn't notice the mic-adjusting that gets joked about so often.  Either it didn't strike me enough to notice it, or Bruce has eased off on it.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: June 02, 2015, 05:04:55 AM »

"Not sure why this has to be some sort of competition, or attempt to even out things."
Century Deprived, June 2015

You are expecting that people who are celebrating the inclusion of All I Wanna Do and other gems into a monster setlist forswear from a purported "Mike can do no wrong" stance by constanly reminding them the evil deeds of Mr. Love. Bringing up the end of the C50 or other stuff you find fault in, does not teach any lesson to those who are celebrating; nor does it add any balance or perspective. There's plenty of space here to discuss those issues in other threads. It would be like bringing up the autotune issue, or some of Brian's crap-actions into the Love and Mercy movie thread for instance. Why? I mean, why?

Anyway. This is my last post on the matter. I don't wanna end up doing the things I'm asking others not to do. I gotta let go myself.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 05:07:31 AM by Autotune » Logged

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: June 02, 2015, 05:28:38 AM »

Reading this thread, it's obvious that I need to nail my colours to the mast in unequivocal manner. Thus:

I am first and foremost a fan of The Beach Boys, and secondarily of the individual members. As 2012 proved, the whole far exceeds the sum of the parts, but I'm not a fanatic. This band has recorded and released some shockingly poor material, given some lamentably concerts and made some - many ? - disasterous career decisions. Still love 'em, but not even close to unconditionally.

I have no problem with informed, rational debate, however impassioned and forceful. It's the lifeblood of forums like these, and, indeed, civilisation at large.

I have no problem with people preferring Brian over Mike, Beatles over Stones, day over night or boys over girls. That's their prerogative.

The problem I do have is with those who have a viewpoint as limited as their means of expression, yet who insist in continually forcing it upon us way past the point of absurdity and who have no scruples about derailing any given thread (primo example - you're reading it). I was told that designating them f*uckwits & sh*tweasels is insulting. Well, yeah, it's intended to be. Because so are they. They are also, of course, trolls of the first rank.

Time for a rest...

+1

"Not sure why this has to be some sort of competition, or attempt to even out things."
Century Deprived, June 2015

You are expecting that people who are celebrating the inclusion of All I Wanna Do and other gems into a monster setlist forswear from a purported "Mike can do no wrong" stance by constanly reminding them the evil deeds of Mr. Love. Bringing up the end of the C50 or other stuff you find fault in, does not teach any lesson to those who are celebrating; nor does it add any balance or perspective. There's plenty of space here to discuss those issues in other threads. It would be like bringing up the autotune issue, or some of Brian's crap-actions into the Love and Mercy movie thread for instance. Why? I mean, why?

Anyway. This is my last post on the matter. I don't wanna end up doing the things I'm asking others not to do. I gotta let go myself.

Yes!
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: June 02, 2015, 05:30:17 AM »

You know what we could do is stop calling each other -istas and -ists and insulting people by name (and fake name) with pictures and comments and innuendo and  even lies over opinions and hypotheticals. Seems like the minimum we could do.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: June 02, 2015, 05:37:54 AM »

All I Wanna Do from Sunday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Exwt69SOTbg

Mike's vocal sounds much better!

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: June 02, 2015, 06:14:55 AM »

I agree, much improvement from the debut. Seems to be a fairly challenging vocal and I'm glad to see it make the setlist in the UK. Of all the new "deep cuts" I hope this makes it back to the states later this summer.

I should mention, I put little stock (good or bad) into these iPhone video clips. It certainly doesn't give you the full audio experience.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 06:24:28 AM by Marty Castillo » Logged
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: June 02, 2015, 06:33:43 AM »

I agree, much improvement from the debut. Seems to be a fairly challenging vocal and I'm glad to see it make the setlist in the UK. Of all the new "deep cuts" I hope this makes it back to the states later this summer.

A very pretty rendition of a stunningly beautiful song. As haunting as the original recording is, the song is strong enough to support many different readings, as this clever live arrangement shows. I happen to think that it fits Mike's current singing style and voice perfectly, as it shows an achingly beautiful frail quality that Mike rarely exhibits but is revealing about his expressive range as a singer. As far as I'm concerned this song is a true classic and a keeper in the live set.

That Scott picked up the song suggestion from this board, proposed it to Mike, and then championed the arrangement and led the rehearsals for it, cannot be thanked enough.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
halblaineisgood
« Reply #1495 on: June 02, 2015, 06:35:05 AM »

as a casino patron,  ticket holder, and fan of deep cuts--I am expecting the ,er-- what's it called--meat and potatoes, right???BUT I WANT THIS. HEAR ME. I will promise to lose more money, at the blackjack tables late that night after the show, and will promise to defer all of the potential comps to Mike and Bruce (and Scott--omly if Mike and Bruce says it's okay) * meet and greets with tribe, massage, free slot play, discount rates on weekday hotel visits, personal valets, etc .

We dont just want the hits!!!!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: June 02, 2015, 08:09:33 AM »

That's very good, makes you wonder why the song was never given an airing back in the day.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: June 02, 2015, 08:41:01 AM »

You are right, Nicko.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: June 02, 2015, 09:23:51 AM »

That's very good, makes you wonder why the song was never given an airing back in the day.

That does sound quite good, and Mike looks like he's feeling it and giving his A-game. Gotta give props, and glad that Mike is no longer overlooking this gem of his and Brian's. I wonder if this song was ever even considered for playing live in the early 70s.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: June 02, 2015, 09:37:28 AM »

Do you think we can persuade him to dust off Big Sur next?  Grin

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 ... 75 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx