gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680772 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 01:01:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 ... 75 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2015  (Read 393347 times)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: May 30, 2015, 09:28:22 PM »

After seeing the latest You Tube's, the addition, finally, of one Alan Jardine would sew this new incarnation up oh so well. I know I'm dreaming. Dream on......

Too bad Jardine was a combination of too busy, unavailable, and had no interest in performing in the band... oh, wait...

I wonder what was the bigger womp womp; not getting to write in a room, or no longer getting to be a member of the band you helped cofound decades earlier.

You claim to be level-headed when it comes to discussing ML (actually you make that claim on your own, as you seem to be the only one that perceives you in that way), but still you keep filling up thread after thread with your off-base endless guessing and crappy tirades like your post above that easily derail a thread.

Level-headed indeed.

Well it is mighty hard to not lament what we are missing.  I try, believe me I do, to enjoy watching these live songs on YouTube.  And I do somewhat. And then I see a comment like that which I responded to, since it reminds me of the sad, unfortunate truth. It would be much easier to be a fan with my head in the sand like an ostrich. Denial is a powerful thing.

And I consider myself level–headed because I call out vicious extreme anti Mike hatred as being inappropriate and over the line when I see it.

That said, I apologize for "derailing" any thread just because I injected a little bit of honesty into the proceedings, and dared to stand my ground of not being an ostrich. Not having Al when he is willing and available feels like an amputation, and I'd like the drug that makes me feel that this is an ok and acceptable situation which I should keep quiet about. The way that Mike took fans' advice about playing certain songs? Maybe if every single show had hoards of people with Bring Back Al Jardine posters, he'd consider bringing him back. Nevertheless... I ultimately am honestly, truly happy that they are upping their game the way they are.

You seem to be forgetting that Al was due to play with Mike not too long ago and blew him off to appear with Brian.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: May 30, 2015, 10:08:08 PM »

After seeing the latest You Tube's, the addition, finally, of one Alan Jardine would sew this new incarnation up oh so well. I know I'm dreaming. Dream on......

Too bad Jardine was a combination of too busy, unavailable, and had no interest in performing in the band... oh, wait...

I wonder what was the bigger womp womp; not getting to write in a room, or no longer getting to be a member of the band you helped cofound decades earlier.

You claim to be level-headed when it comes to discussing ML (actually you make that claim on your own, as you seem to be the only one that perceives you in that way), but still you keep filling up thread after thread with your off-base endless guessing and crappy tirades like your post above that easily derail a thread.

Level-headed indeed.

Well it is mighty hard to not lament what we are missing.  I try, believe me I do, to enjoy watching these live songs on YouTube.  And I do somewhat. And then I see a comment like that which I responded to, since it reminds me of the sad, unfortunate truth. It would be much easier to be a fan with my head in the sand like an ostrich. Denial is a powerful thing.

And I consider myself level–headed because I call out vicious extreme anti Mike hatred as being inappropriate and over the line when I see it.

That said, I apologize for "derailing" any thread just because I injected a little bit of honesty into the proceedings, and dared to stand my ground of not being an ostrich. Not having Al when he is willing and available feels like an amputation, and I'd like the drug that makes me feel that this is an ok and acceptable situation which I should keep quiet about. The way that Mike took fans' advice about playing certain songs? Maybe if every single show had hoards of people with Bring Back Al Jardine posters, he'd consider bringing him back. Nevertheless... I ultimately am honestly, truly happy that they are upping their game the way they are.

You seem to be forgetting that Al was due to play with Mike not too long ago and blew him off to appear with Brian.

I am not forgetting that. Sadly, despite my wish, the relationships are probably way too far gone at this point, though I hope that all the guys can play again at some point. The recent event you mention I imagine was probably what Al viewed as an insulting offer to be a one-off type of deal, instead of being reinstated as a proper band member as he should have been since 1998, or at least since Al apparently (or possibly not - Mike would be the one to ask) rid himself from his "attitude problem" towards Mike's iron fist rule of the BBs touring band, as a result of Al's decade-plus banishment to rockstar Siberia (BB Member Reform School).  

That unfortunate booting was in part easier to pull off because the fans who didn't know any better simply tolerated it, kept showing up at shows, and unlike a Beatle booting another Beatle from The Beatles, the booting slipped under the radar of the fans of the faceless BBs. I guess it also proved the public doesn't really care if Al Jardine is in the Beach Boys or not, since assembly lines of people kept on a' coming to the M&B shows, and that realization of his minimization probably had to hurt Al's feelings. Mike is lucky that he himself never had to experience that type of feeling of being extracted (sans Novocaine) like an unneeded wisdom tooth out of the live band (in fact, Mike and Carl are the only members who haven't at some point experienced the feeling of actually being, or essentially being, kicked out of the touring BB band). It's hard to not empathize with Al about that.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 10:57:53 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: May 30, 2015, 10:18:18 PM »

Heroes & Villains with the brass section at RAH: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0TB0zE1TK8
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: May 30, 2015, 11:20:49 PM »

That was most definitely not what happened.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: May 31, 2015, 12:46:20 AM »

How epic was the "wheeeen" on BTTYS. Razz

Wasn't played. Suspect you're thinking of some other band that used to play under the same name.

“We live in divisive times.”
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: May 31, 2015, 12:56:25 AM »

Any newspaper RAHviews yet?

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: May 31, 2015, 03:46:19 AM »

What a night. Wow.

But such a shame this board has turned into little kids playground (of NEGATIVITY). No need to write more about the concert.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: May 31, 2015, 04:00:04 AM »

Jones Beach, roughly a year ago? Al was set to appear along with Dave and then dropped out. Next thing he's playing with Brian.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1333 on: May 31, 2015, 05:13:09 AM »

Really ? Then, pray tell us, what definitely did happen ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1334 on: May 31, 2015, 05:16:39 AM »

They have to do 68 songs in the US to top this, with Mike keeping his wheeeeeeeeen going throughout the additional ten songs while Foskett and Totten look increasingly worried.

You keep thinkin' Butch, that's what you're good at.

Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: May 31, 2015, 05:37:37 AM »

Scott assures me that it is not true that Mike refused to allow the C50 band to play it - that the subject never came up. I suppose as far as he knew it didn't.  Scott suggested the inclusion for the current tour and presumably Mike agreed to it although he hasn't included it in the M&B sets before to the best of my knowledge. I think it likely that Mike perhaps wanted to raise the bar. There'd been another Brian solo album, soon the film is coming out. Competitive - perhaps but it's a business. We expect that. Also Mojo had voted Surf's Up No 1 in its 50 Greatest Beach Boys Songs (Til I Die was No 5). And Mike seems to like the number 50! Competitive - OK. I just hope sincere. Surely it is on Scott's part as he suggested it.

You "suppose as far as he knew...". Leaving aside the Thatcherian condescension, you've evidently forgotten - or never knew - that Scott was one of the two musical directors for the C50 tour. It was his job to know. This is the second time that it's been strongly implied that Scott is lying over "Surf's Up" and C50. Way to ensure he keeps posting here.

I AM NOT accusing Scott of lying. However, Mike may have made a comment about this to someone when Scott was not there and was not informed of what had been said. I'm not saying this DID happen. I'm saying it might
 have happened. You accuse me of putting words into your mouth and now you are doing precisely the same thing.

Of course, I accept that Scott suggested the inclusion of Surf's Up as he informed me and everyone else reading this thread. However, Mike obviously accepted the suggestion and as he has never to my knowledge included Surf's Up before in a M&B set it seems to me that this is motivated by a wish to raise the bar in response to Brian's album and film. Mike has also acquired two singers proficient in falsetto, each of whom had previously worked with Brian. Competition is all very well - the reason behind it may or may not be.

I should not have assumed your f & s comment applied to everyone who disagreed with your views but presumably you didn't mean those who actually agree with you and you were not specific about whom you were insulting. No doubt I'm one of them but then that doesn't really bother me.

As for being condescending, your supremacy in this respect is I should think pretty much unchallenged. 'Yawn' 'sigh' and these are quotes from so many previous responses to messages.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1336 on: May 31, 2015, 05:53:55 AM »

Scott assures me that it is not true that Mike refused to allow the C50 band to play it - that the subject never came up. I suppose as far as he knew it didn't.  Scott suggested the inclusion for the current tour and presumably Mike agreed to it although he hasn't included it in the M&B sets before to the best of my knowledge. I think it likely that Mike perhaps wanted to raise the bar. There'd been another Brian solo album, soon the film is coming out. Competitive - perhaps but it's a business. We expect that. Also Mojo had voted Surf's Up No 1 in its 50 Greatest Beach Boys Songs (Til I Die was No 5). And Mike seems to like the number 50! Competitive - OK. I just hope sincere. Surely it is on Scott's part as he suggested it.

You "suppose as far as he knew...". Leaving aside the Thatcherian condescension, you've evidently forgotten - or never knew - that Scott was one of the two musical directors for the C50 tour. It was his job to know. This is the second time that it's been strongly implied that Scott is lying over "Surf's Up" and C50. Way to ensure he keeps posting here.

I AM NOT accusing Scott of lying. However, Mike may have made a comment about this to someone when Scott was not there and was not informed of what had been said. I'm not saying this DID happen. I'm saying it might
 have happened. You accuse me of putting words into your mouth and now you are doing precisely the same thing.

Of course, I accept that Scott suggested the inclusion of Surf's Up as he informed me and everyone else reading this thread. However, Mike obviously accepted the suggestion and as he has never to my knowledge included Surf's Up before in a M&B set it seems to me that this is motivated by a wish to raise the bar in response to Brian's album and film. Mike has also acquired two singers proficient in falsetto, each of whom had previously worked with Brian. Competition is all very well - the reason behind it may or may not be.

I should not have assumed your f & s comment applied to everyone who disagreed with your views but presumably you didn't mean those who actually agree with you and you were not specific about whom you were insulting. No doubt I'm one of them but then that doesn't really bother me.

As for being condescending, your supremacy in this respect is I should think pretty much unchallenged. 'Yawn' 'sigh' and these are quotes from so many previous responses to messages.

Yawn... sigh... Same old same old. I may be - am - condescending, arrogant, short-tempered and myriad other less than admirable qualities, but I admit when I'm in the wrong. Equally, I don't qualify everything with an "however/but/nonetheless" form of rider transparently crafted to imply the exact opposite. Sometimes there is no "however". Scott has made an unequivocal statement arrived at from his job description, and you made with the "as far as he knew". Can you seriously not understand how very insulting that is ?

Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: May 31, 2015, 06:17:34 AM »

You claim to be level-headed when it comes to discussing ML (actually you make that claim on your own, as you seem to be the only one that perceives you in that way), but still you keep filling up thread after thread with your off-base endless guessing and crappy tirades like your post above that easily derail a thread that is celebrating the most hardcore fan-oriented setlists M&B have ever produced.

Level-headed indeed.

You're not talking to  OSD and SmileBrian.

And I won't. What's the point? They're about trolling. Ignore them as they have their daily mini-orgasm by posting their customary tirades and emoticon-filled nothingness here and elsewhere.

I am thrilled that M&B are putting these great shows and would love to read some lenghty fan reviews here.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: May 31, 2015, 06:32:02 AM »

Yawn... sigh... Same old same old. I may be - am - condescending, arrogant, short-tempered and myriad other less than admirable qualities, but I admit when I'm in the wrong. Equally, I don't qualify everything with an "however/but/nonetheless" form of rider transparently crafted to imply the exact opposite. Sometimes there is no "however". Scott has made an unequivocal statement arrived at from his job description, and you made with the "as far as he knew". Can you seriously not understand how very insulting that is ?

I repeat - I am not claiming Scott is a liar nor I am disputing that as one of the musical directors he would have been involved in important decisions but a private conversation or remark would not necessarily been known to him.  Can YOU seriously not understand how insulting 'f*ckits and sh*tweasels' is? Far more insulting and intended to be insulting.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: May 31, 2015, 06:49:13 AM »

I repeat - I am not claiming Scott is a liar nor I am disputing that as one of the musical directors he would have been involved in important decisions but a private conversation or remark would not necessarily been known to him. 

But I don't understand, what is the source of your assertion. Is this something you are speculating, do you have a source for this claim about SU and C50? What do you base your claim on?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: May 31, 2015, 07:01:22 AM »

And why imply anything if (a) you have zero way of knowing and (b) it goes against what the most informed person on the subject, ie Scott has already stated?

MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: May 31, 2015, 07:04:54 AM »

Can anyone link to or post the full RAH setlist?

Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: May 31, 2015, 07:21:46 AM »

You claim to be level-headed when it comes to discussing ML (actually you make that claim on your own, as you seem to be the only one that perceives you in that way), but still you keep filling up thread after thread with your off-base endless guessing and crappy tirades like your post above that easily derail a thread that is celebrating the most hardcore fan-oriented setlists M&B have ever produced.

Level-headed indeed.

You're not talking to  OSD and SmileBrian.

And I won't. What's the point? They're about trolling. Ignore them as they have their daily mini-orgasm by posting their customary tirades and emoticon-filled nothingness here and elsewhere.

I am thrilled that M&B are putting these great shows and would love to read some lenghty fan reviews here.

You are treating one of the most reasoned pro-Brian voices on this board as if they were OSD and SmileBrian., and quite frankly, I think that is totally undeserved and uncalled for.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: May 31, 2015, 07:24:54 AM »

I know you know this, but for the record, if I remember correctly, Al's side of the story, as related by his son when Ambha Love went on a Facebook rant, was that Al was only contacted by the venue and asked if he might appear. He replied positively but never got an invite from Mike and nothing was ever signed, sealed and delivered.  This was somewhat contradicted by the fact that he had announced the appearance on his website. Anyway, according to the Facebook exchange, when Mike never contacted Al about appearing, he decided he wasn't really being "asked" to appear, so he went with Brian.

I'm sure there's more behind the scenes politics involved, but that's the other side of the public information. As, I'm sure, you know.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: May 31, 2015, 07:33:35 AM »

I know you know this, but for the record, if I remember correctly, Al's side of the story, as related by his son when Ambha Love went on a Facebook rant, was that Al was only contacted by the venue and asked if he might appear. He replied positively but never got an invite from Mike and nothing was ever signed, sealed and delivered.  This was somewhat contradicted by the fact that he had announced the appearance on his website. Anyway, according to the Facebook exchange, when Mike never contacted Al about appearing, he decided he wasn't really being "asked" to appear, so he went with Brian.

I'm sure there's more behind the scenes politics involved, but that's the other side of the public information. As, I'm sure, you know.

*Kokomaoist mode* Don't, like, confuse us with, like, facts.

Adds some 🎼 to your day
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: May 31, 2015, 07:40:52 AM »

*Kokomaoist mode* Don't, like, confuse us with, like, facts.

Could we go with KohKohMode or Kokomode?? Seems like either one would suffice for those who qualify.   Transcendental Meditation

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: May 31, 2015, 07:43:49 AM »

Exactly OSD! Waiting for others to call us out as usual!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: May 31, 2015, 07:49:45 AM »

So in other words (as I previously stated) Al was due to appear (or at the very least was advertising that he was) and then blew the deal and joined up with Brian. Either Al or Mike could have picked up the phone to clarify the situation but communication has never been the band's strong point.

Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: May 31, 2015, 07:56:29 AM »

So in other words (as I previously stated) Al was due to appear (or at the very least was advertising that he was) and then blew the deal and joined up with Brian. Either Al or Mike could have picked up the phone to clarify the situation but communication has never been the band's strong point.

No, he was advertised before everything could be finalized. And, most importantly, the invite didn't come from Mike, it came from a third party.

Adds some 🎼 to your day
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: May 31, 2015, 08:03:29 AM »

Can anyone link to or post the full RAH setlist?

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-beach-boys/2015/royal-albert-hall-london-england-53c997a9.html
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 ... 75 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx