gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:54:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 ... 75 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2015  (Read 390910 times)
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: May 29, 2015, 06:26:16 PM »

"We were looking forward to kicking off our “2015 Summer Days Tour” with a set list that best represents our catalog. There were a few songs we've never performed live like “All I Wanna Do”, and others we haven't performed for awhile. For me personally, it was emotionally rewarding to dive so deeply into our catalog."

Mike Love

"We've been asked by many fans if we plan to bring this set list home to the States....of course we will!!!  Unfortunately, we have curfews in every venue, but we will always deliver as much music as we can!!!!"

Mike Love

Is there a source or are you in fact Mike Love? Wink

Yes, I find myself to be the most quotable source I am.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: May 29, 2015, 06:53:46 PM »

Really glad to see Mike/Bruce/occasionally-David going for the deep cuts -- personally I thought "All I Wanna Do" and "Surf's Up" were both a bit ragged, but a lot of that's just first-night-itis.  (Particularly on "Surf's Up", which is fiendishly difficult at the best of times.)  And Mike is to be commended for aiming for notes we haven't heard from him in years!  That takes guts, just like Brian showed for all those years when he kept pushing his diminished range to its limits, and eventually reached the point he's at now.

One suggestion, though, for Scott if he's still reading this...  the thing that seemed to be missing from "All I Wanna Do" was the general wall-of-reverb-ness.  Is this something you could get the engineers to help with?  At the very least, this might be a case where having Bruce double Mike on the lead (is it in his range these days?) could give it more of that more of that echoing-voices effect...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: May 29, 2015, 08:10:28 PM »

No problem with Scott singing Surf's Up.

No problem with Ike singing She Knows Me.

No problem with David singing Getcha Back.

No problem with Bruce singing Wendy.

No problem with Darian singing Darlin'.

No problem with Brian singing California Girls.

Bring it on as long as it lasts.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: May 29, 2015, 09:39:20 PM »

Way to keep it classy, guys.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: May 29, 2015, 09:45:12 PM »

<<So because of this, I think the most reasonable solution is for the lead singers of the original songs to sing the songs (if they are still with us). Therefore for Mike's group, center it on Mike type stuff. People are paying to see him (if they indeed know that they aren't seeing the real Beach Boys). >>

By this logic,  Billy Hinsche  shouldn't have sung Sail On Sailor, I'm Waiting for the Day, In My Room or even Wipe Out, Jeff Foskett never should have attempted Warmth of the Sun back in the early 80s, Blondie should never have touched Wild Honey, Bruce should not have done Wendy or Do You Wanna Dance or God Only Knows or Please Let Me Wonder or In My Room, Carl should have given Caroline No a pass, Dennis and Carl should have skipped Help Me Rhonda and - heavens - Al Jardine never should have touched Surfer Girl.  Or Heroes and Villains.  Or Wouldn't It Be Nice.  Or Sloop John B.  Or You're So Good To Me.  

Well.....yeah. I don't think anybody really paid to see Billy Hinsche sing any of those songs. Nor any of the other backing members. Now trading leads between actual Beach Boys? That's a different question. Along with Brian obviously being MIA from the touring band for such a long time. Obviously somebody had to step up and take those leads.
Bill30022
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1230 on: May 29, 2015, 11:19:08 PM »

Kudos to them for playing AIWD and SU. I guess I would be considered a "Brianista" but I appreciate Mike for stepping out of his comfort zone.  An a for effort.

Given the band's limitations due to size I thought the arrangements were good.  The one problem with the small band, as good as they are, is their inability to capture the subtilities woven into Brian's best work. Even Bruce actually playing piano would help.

Mike's ragged vocals on AIWD just point to how great his performance was on the original.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1231 on: May 29, 2015, 11:21:57 PM »

I can understand that, sweetdudejim. I honestly feel that way about Brian shows. I guess because it's solo rather than group (plus I happen to love Brian's voice.  Now, having said that, for me one of the highlights of the 8 June 2012 show was Scott Totten singing 'Ballad of Ole Betsy'. The original was never one of my favorites, but that night it was pure magic. So, I think if it's good enough, it can overcome that. It felt *real*.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: May 29, 2015, 11:56:22 PM »

I'm sorry I missed these shows. Thanks to Scott and the rest of the band for putting in the new setlist inclusions. Have a great time this weekend, those who are going to the London ones.

Please delete my account
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: May 30, 2015, 12:15:42 AM »

<<So because of this, I think the most reasonable solution is for the lead singers of the original songs to sing the songs (if they are still with us). Therefore for Mike's group, center it on Mike type stuff. People are paying to see him (if they indeed know that they aren't seeing the real Beach Boys). >>

By this logic,  Billy Hinsche  shouldn't have sung Sail On Sailor, I'm Waiting for the Day, In My Room or even Wipe Out, Jeff Foskett never should have attempted Warmth of the Sun back in the early 80s, Blondie should never have touched Wild Honey, Bruce should not have done Wendy or Do You Wanna Dance or God Only Knows or Please Let Me Wonder or In My Room, Carl should have given Caroline No a pass, Dennis and Carl should have skipped Help Me Rhonda and - heavens - Al Jardine never should have touched Surfer Girl.  Or Heroes and Villains.  Or Wouldn't It Be Nice.  Or Sloop John B.  Or You're So Good To Me. 

Well.....yeah. I don't think anybody really paid to see Billy Hinsche sing any of those songs. Nor any of the other backing members. Now trading leads between actual Beach Boys? That's a different question. Along with Brian obviously being MIA from the touring band for such a long time. Obviously somebody had to step up and take those leads.

His seemed to start as an explanation of why Scott shouldn't sing Surf's Up and then turned into why, by association, Scott sang Surf's Up… unless you think Mike should have tried harder to get Carl, Brian and Al on stage for the night…

Thank you for the good wishes for tonight's show. Gotta say, Surf's Up is one of the absolute highlights I'm looking forward to.

What DID happen to Nicko1234?

“We live in divisive times.”
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: May 30, 2015, 12:24:19 AM »

It looks like he quit. Maybe he'll be back as Nicko12345 after he's had enough of a break.

Please delete my account
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: May 30, 2015, 12:42:09 AM »

It looks like he quit. Maybe he'll be back as Nicko12345 after he's had enough of a break.

A great shame. One of the sober posters. That, other issues, and Mikie's banishment, make me think this place has something terminal.

Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: May 30, 2015, 02:19:09 AM »

I have a stalls ticket for tonight if anyone wants to buy it from me.  K section, Row 3.  It's a print-off ticket.

I'll sell it for cheap.  It's the standard £47.50, plus the fees, but I'll let it go for £30.  In short, I've got a lot on my plate, can't quite be arsed to go tonight and have a ticket for tomorrow's show anyway, which I'll use.

If anyone wants it, let me know.  I live in London, so can meet somewhere.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: May 30, 2015, 02:47:51 AM »

Sheriff, It wasn't a personal attack upon anyone, other than a blunt assessment. A music review. And we all know that all of them are subjective.

Those four clips kind of summed up the paradox to me. Even on one of Brian's most difficult nights, I've never seen his touring band less than nail nuanced, fully textured tracks, such as anything from Pet Sounds. When you've got a truncated set-up such as Mike's solo band -  Evil - I mean BEACH BOYS band, there are fewer moving parts. So what do you think is going to happen when they try to weave a tapestry such as All I Wanna Do? A-for-effort, but the result (that night) was subpar. Kinda like a bar band. It was. That and the fact that Mike's voice has taken a beating these past few years what with all the dates.

BUT...Farmers Daughter and Cottonfields fit the bill, and the touring ensemble fit into those like a well worn set of Hush Puppies. They fit nicely.

I give props to Mike's band for learning these newly-played classic songs, and I think their hearts are in the right place, though I wonder if it's a sense of competition above all else that's motivating Mike to play these songs. Better late than never I guess. Not intended whatsoever as a diss to any musician, but I do doubt that any member of the band would in their heart of hearts dispute that the songs would probably sound better with a greater quantity of musicians onstage, on par with C50, but I am quite glad they are being played, and I give props to Mike for playing them too.

What bugs me is the Kokomaoists who think it's perfectly fine (and not in any way in poor taste or inappropriate for Mike to continually point out) when Mike does interviews for Mike to bring up Brian having issues and not performing at his otherwise optimal level due to excessive substance abuse decades earlier, but somehow the same Kokomaoists will find it offensive for someone on this board to suggest that Mike may not be singing at his own otherwise optimal level and perhaps would have a stronger voice if it was conserved more by less excessive touring, right? I'm just curious how any Kokomaoist on this board could not call this a hypocritical stance.

These are the things that ultimately piss off fans, and increase divisions. It's a no-brainer that since none of those types of things were said by Mike in interviews during C50, that they are being said now out of some bitter agenda; it ain't a coincidence, folks. If more Kokomaoists stopped being blind yes-men to defending this type of interview stuff, and less (how about zero?) fans openly defended these interviews, perhaps we'd hear less of this type of needless sh*t-stirring in interviews, and then we'd have world peace.

I agree with most of the above and it was the sense that Surf's Up and Til I Die were being done for competitive reasons that I found irritating - though if that is not the case then I'm happy to apologise. I've heard Surf's Up performed by a guy with no more assistance than BVs  and some instrumental help from about three others and it worked better than the clip that was posted here so it can be done well even with a band of about four people, though of course  it would be easier to do it well with a larger number. 

Obviously, for anyone in their 70s and especially with the problems that Brian has had, and for that matter with Mike's hectic touring schedule, it is likely that sometimes it will be less than perfect. For younger guys the situation is different and therefore it is more justifiable to be critical. But I agree that Farmer's Daughter was performed well - I haven't yet listened to Cottonfields.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: May 30, 2015, 04:07:36 AM »

In my mind, since the C50 tour, Scott T has not been far off the likes of Darian in Beach Boys related heroism in the 21st century.  Agree with Billy that his version of Betsy just smokes Smokin

A good point has also been raised regarding how first-night-itis probably affected the performance of Surf's Up and All I Wanna Do.  It reminds of how Summer's Gone was performed in September 2012; a massive thrill to hear it, but the band was noticeably less comfortable with it compared to songs that had been in the set for the whole tour.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: May 30, 2015, 04:43:24 AM »

By this logic,  Billy Hinsche  shouldn't have sung Sail On Sailor, I'm Waiting for the Day, In My Room or even Wipe Out, Jeff Foskett never should have attempted Warmth of the Sun back in the early 80s, Blondie should never have touched Wild Honey, Bruce should not have done Wendy or Do You Wanna Dance or God Only Knows or Please Let Me Wonder or In My Room, Carl should have given Caroline No a pass, Dennis and Carl should have skipped Help Me Rhonda and - heavens - Al Jardine never should have touched Surfer Girl.  Or Heroes and Villains.  Or Wouldn't It Be Nice.  Or Sloop John B.  Or You're So Good To Me.  
People paid plenty to see Billy, while in Dino, Desi and Billy from the mid to late 1960's.  And he did the lead for SOS for years. Having seen him very recently, I can tell you Billy's voice is great and he knows every single word to every single song. And you are correct, Carl did a lot of Brian leads for years, because Brian wasn't touring often.  Those lucky CA fans caught Brian once in a while, onstage.  
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 04:47:24 AM by filledeplage » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: May 30, 2015, 04:46:27 AM »

Sorry, double post!  LOL

Brian, Dennis, & Carl

Carry on!  Wink
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 04:49:30 AM by filledeplage » Logged
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: May 30, 2015, 04:57:12 AM »

Isn't the current BB touring band doing exactly what the classic touring band has always done, arrangements for a smaller touring band. The tour band has almost never tried to reproduce the recordings on the road.

The singers of the touring bands have not matched the singers of the recording band for like 80% or more of the band's career before Carl's passing.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: May 30, 2015, 05:02:48 AM »

In my mind, since the C50 tour, Scott T has not been far off the likes of Darian in Beach Boys related heroism in the 21st century.  Agree with Billy that his version of Betsy just smokes Smokin

A good point has also been raised regarding how first-night-itis probably affected the performance of Surf's Up and All I Wanna Do.  It reminds of how Summer's Gone was performed in September 2012; a massive thrill to hear it, but the band was noticeably less comfortable with it compared to songs that had been in the set for the whole tour.

Good post. And yes I'd equate Scott with Darian. He's brought a credibility and an excitement to the shows that I wouldn't have foreseen a few years ago.

Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: May 30, 2015, 05:34:55 AM »

Sheriff, It wasn't a personal attack upon anyone, other than a blunt assessment. A music review. And we all know that all of them are subjective.

Those four clips kind of summed up the paradox to me. Even on one of Brian's most difficult nights, I've never seen his touring band less than nail nuanced, fully textured tracks, such as anything from Pet Sounds. When you've got a truncated set-up such as Mike's solo band -  Evil - I mean BEACH BOYS band, there are fewer moving parts. So what do you think is going to happen when they try to weave a tapestry such as All I Wanna Do? A-for-effort, but the result (that night) was subpar. Kinda like a bar band. It was. That and the fact that Mike's voice has taken a beating these past few years what with all the dates.

BUT...Farmers Daughter and Cottonfields fit the bill, and the touring ensemble fit into those like a well worn set of Hush Puppies. They fit nicely.

I give props to Mike's band for learning these newly-played classic songs, and I think their hearts are in the right place, though I wonder if it's a sense of competition above all else that's motivating Mike to play these songs. Better late than never I guess. Not intended whatsoever as a diss to any musician, but I do doubt that any member of the band would in their heart of hearts dispute that the songs would probably sound better with a greater quantity of musicians onstage, on par with C50, but I am quite glad they are being played, and I give props to Mike for playing them too.

What bugs me is the Kokomaoists who think it's perfectly fine (and not in any way in poor taste or inappropriate for Mike to continually point out) when Mike does interviews for Mike to bring up Brian having issues and not performing at his otherwise optimal level due to excessive substance abuse decades earlier, but somehow the same Kokomaoists will find it offensive for someone on this board to suggest that Mike may not be singing at his own otherwise optimal level and perhaps would have a stronger voice if it was conserved more by less excessive touring, right? I'm just curious how any Kokomaoist on this board could not call this a hypocritical stance.

These are the things that ultimately piss off fans, and increase divisions. It's a no-brainer that since none of those types of things were said by Mike in interviews during C50, that they are being said now out of some bitter agenda; it ain't a coincidence, folks. If more Kokomaoists stopped being blind yes-men to defending this type of interview stuff, and less (how about zero?) fans openly defended these interviews, perhaps we'd hear less of this type of needless sh*t-stirring in interviews, and then we'd have world peace.

I agree with most of the above and it was the sense that Surf's Up and Til I Die were being done for competitive reasons that I found irritating - though if that is not the case then I'm happy to apologise. 

That's infantile thinking. And you are repeating a pattern here: spilling the garbage, waiting for somebody to prove you wrong, and then trying a mild apology. You have no idea, and yet you pass conjecture as fact and leave it to others to prove you wrong.

The "competitive reasons" is a projection of your own feelings (i.e. how you think Mike might act) and is ultimately pointless as long as the quality is good (and that's the issue to be discussed, I think).

BTW, lots of great things in BB history have been done for competitive reasons, and there's nothing wrong with it. I don't want to come after you every time, but you do yourself no favor.

The inclusion of SU on the setlist irritates you who knows for what reason, and you are coming up with faux arguments to battle against it.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: May 30, 2015, 05:38:18 AM »

Isn't the current BB touring band doing exactly what the classic touring band has always done, arrangements for a smaller touring band. The tour band has almost never tried to reproduce the recordings on the road.

The singers of the touring bands have not matched the singers of the recording band for like 80% or more of the band's career before Carl's passing.
Exactly.  Even in the 60's, they did a non-studio performance.  It is what "live bands" do. They don't always have the special effects of the studio.  Suits me fine.

But, I've heard Brian's band often do selections (particularly the small percussion instrumentation) which do sound like the studio version and for a while, in certain venues, there was an accompanying string/brass ensemble with the touring band.
 Brian, Dennis, & Carl
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1245 on: May 30, 2015, 06:01:30 AM »

Exactly.  Even in the 60's, they did a non-studio performance.  It is what "live bands" do. They don't always have the special effects of the studio.  Suits me fine.

But, I've heard Brian's band often do selections (particularly the small percussion instrumentation) which do sound like the studio version and for a while, in certain venues, there was an accompanying string/brass ensemble with the touring band.
 Brian, Dennis, & Carl

And they will use a brass section at the RAH.

Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: May 30, 2015, 06:19:58 AM »

I agree with most of the above and it was the sense that Surf's Up and Til I Die were being done for competitive reasons that I found irritating - though if that is not the case then I'm happy to apologise. 

That's infantile thinking. And you are repeating a pattern here: spilling the garbage, waiting for somebody to prove you wrong, and then trying a mild apology. You have no idea, and yet you pass conjecture as fact and leave it to others to prove you wrong.

The "competitive reasons" is a projection of your own feelings (i.e. how you think Mike might act) and is ultimately pointless as long as the quality is good (and that's the issue to be discussed, I think).

BTW, lots of great things in BB history have been done for competitive reasons, and there's nothing wrong with it. I don't want to come after you every time, but you do yourself no favor.

The inclusion of SU on the setlist irritates you who knows for what reason, and you are coming up with faux arguments to battle against it.

OK - so is it just me being infantile or are you also accusing those with whose opinions I agreed? I think the comments are fair.

There is nothing necessarily wrong with being competitive.  However, how much better an idea it would have been to perform Surf's Up during the C50, when a larger band, some of whom had performed it many times before, had been present. I have mentioned the quality if that is the matter you wish to discuss. This was the first night of the UK tour - perhaps they'll have improved upon this performance already or will do so over the weekend.

I'm not trying a mild apology - I'm prepared to apologise IF I'm wrong about the motivation. As far as I'm concerned, the case is unproven.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: May 30, 2015, 06:41:46 AM »

OK - so is it just me being infantile or are you also accusing those with whose opinions I agreed? I think the comments are fair.

There is nothing necessarily wrong with being competitive.  However, how much better an idea it would have been to perform Surf's Up during the C50, when a larger band, some of whom had performed it many times before, had been present. I have mentioned the quality if that is the matter you wish to discuss. This was the first night of the UK tour - perhaps they'll have improved upon this performance already or will do so over the weekend.

I'm not trying a mild apology - I'm prepared to apologise IF I'm wrong about the motivation. As far as I'm concerned, the case is unproven.
Ang - how can music that belongs to the entire band, be construed as competitive?

What I've observed is a Music Director who is rehearsing this group, and always striving for improvement.  And for a long time the touring band has been using the "standards" and working in 60 and 70-ish less performed stuff.  It can't be "territorial" if the music has been released as BB music.  

If it was "Love and Mercy" or "In My Car" or "Lay Down Burden" or "Imagination," there might be a cogent argument to be made. That was solo work.  And, who knows, maybe they will cover some of those some day...I had truly wished they had done "Love and Mercy" to close C50. But, it wasn't my choice.  Wink

It was a huge step to do SU, but Foskett sang it for years with both Brian and, likely Carl. Why not try something unheard for a long time? Can they improve? We all can improve.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 06:42:49 AM by filledeplage » Logged
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: May 30, 2015, 07:00:18 AM »

There is nothing necessarily wrong with being competitive.  However, how much better an idea it would have been to perform Surf's Up during the C50, when a larger band, some of whom had performed it many times before, had been present.

There apparently was no competition to perform SU during C50, even those who had performed it "many times" weren't competing to perform it.  It seems to me that SU has rarely been performed by any version of the BBs since 1975 so today's touring BBs are again continuing a classic tradition.  
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 07:07:01 AM by Cam Mott » Logged

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: May 30, 2015, 07:05:59 AM »

A couple of quick things...

- Sure, there is no brass, vibes, extra percussion, etc. in The Beach Boys' band, but I don't think the unit is "too small" to replicate any of the Beach Boys' songs. I mean, they have two guitars, two keyboards, bass, drums, and tambourine (and with David Marks they had three guitars; this is Blue Oyster Cult territory! Cheesy) That's more than a lot of the top bands, including Paul McCartney. Only a small number of "fans" would complain about this, and we know where they can be found. What was the reaction of the fans who attended the concert? Was it overwhelmingly positive or were people saying, "You know, they could use more instrumentalists if they're going to play that song." It's funny how the fans who attend Beach Boys' concerts just keep coming back and coming back. And you know BRI loves that, too.

- This is PURE SPECULATION, I'm not stating it as fact in any way, just questioning, but...I wonder if - if - the possibility of performing "Surf's Up" during 2012 ever came up, maybe it was Brian himself who wasn't up to singing it, for whatever reason?

- Addressing a point made earlier in the thread, concerning Mike not wanting Brian to get more applause than him during the 2012 shows...Not that I didn't like the performance of "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times", I did very much. But, I did find it a bit of a surprising choice/selection. I mean, it wasn't a single or a hit, and they performed five other Pet Sounds' songs. My point is, it was almost a solo performance for Brian singing IJWMFTT, he got a standing ovation, so if Mike didn't want Brian to get more attention than him, why would Mike "allow" that song to be performed?
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 ... 75 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx