gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:54:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 75 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2015  (Read 390901 times)
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: May 29, 2015, 03:14:57 AM »

Here's the setlist guys - I don't remember Sail On, Sailor though!

image hosting gif

photo uploading websites
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 03:16:21 AM by Rentatris » Logged

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: May 29, 2015, 03:37:20 AM »

Just out of curiosity: anyone going to one of the Royal Albert Hall concerts on May 30th and 31st?

I'm going to see (and hear) the May 31st gig this Sunday.

Yes, I should be going to both.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: May 29, 2015, 04:10:03 AM »

Just out of curiosity: anyone going to one of the Royal Albert Hall concerts on May 30th and 31st?

I'm going to see (and hear) the May 31st gig this Sunday.

Yes, I should be going to both.

Saturday

“We live in divisive times.”
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: May 29, 2015, 04:30:15 AM »

"We were looking forward to kicking off our “2015 Summer Days Tour” with a set list that best represents our catalog. There were a few songs we've never performed live like “All I Wanna Do”, and others we haven't performed for awhile. For me personally, it was emotionally rewarding to dive so deeply into our catalog."

Mike Love

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Scott
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: May 29, 2015, 04:49:53 AM »

Well let history repeat itself - I need to correct something that Ang keeps saying over and over.

Mike Love did NOT refuse to do Surf's Up on the C50 tour.  No one asked to perform that song.

I, however, asked the band to play it when we had some time in Oslo.

Your source "who should know" is either misinformed, or....Huh?

Scott
Nicko1234
« Reply #1155 on: May 29, 2015, 05:22:21 AM »

Thanks for clarifying again Scott.

It has been stated on the board many times before that Brian`s band have also commented that it is difficult for Brian to sing which is why it is not featured in his solo shows. Some members of the board chose to ignore that info because it did not fit in with their motivations though.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: May 29, 2015, 05:37:34 AM »

Well let history repeat itself - I need to correct something that Ang keeps saying over and over.

Mike Love did NOT refuse to do Surf's Up on the C50 tour.  No one asked to perform that song.

Scott

Thanks Scott. While we're at it, thanks for an extraordinary job as music director, and thank you guys for tailoring the setlists to please the suggestions of us here!

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
jamesellaby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: May 29, 2015, 06:23:36 AM »

Scott

Thanks Scott. While we're at it, thanks for an extraordinary job as music director, and thank you guys for tailoring the setlists to please the suggestions of us here!

Seconded! I'd have struggled to pick a better setlist. I think people on here sometimes forget what audiences want to hear. The more 'obscure' stuff got polite applause from most people in Manchester, whereas most people leapt to their feet and went crazy for Kokomo. The setlist catered for both sides of the audience excellently, so thank you Scott, I was really impressed with the show.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: May 29, 2015, 07:12:39 AM »

I love this thread, because it proves conclusively that...

It's not just the band who are alarmingly dysfunctional...

Some fans posters just can't abide that people can enjoy a Mike & Bruce show, and...

F*ckwits & sh*tweasels continue to abound, in abundance.  Smiley

I'd much rather see the C50 lineup over the the two current touring factions, however impressive they might be. Complete no-brainer... but for various reasons, ain't gonna happen again. So I'll enjoy what we've got while I can, starting with the RAH on Sunday and the O2 in September. The time that no original members will still be with us, much less touring, draws ever closer.

w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t!

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: May 29, 2015, 07:16:58 AM »

Scott

Thank you SO much Scott. That's exactly what I asked for. I think it's good for some people on this board to know that bands can play songs just because they're great pieces of music, and not because it's a political statement!

It would be interesting to know how Mike and Bruce feel about playing such a trademark Brian Wilson piece without him though. It's not a bad move by any means, but it is definitely the most Brian-centered piece I think maybe the touring band has ever tackled without him.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: May 29, 2015, 07:26:51 AM »

Funny how the Brianistas work...they have "sources" for all of their biased opinions.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: May 29, 2015, 07:30:31 AM »

The set list from Manchester looks absolutely fantastic and I seriously wish I'd been there. On All I Wanna do I get the comments about Mike's vocals but he just about gets away with it and deserves huge credit for having given it a go. Fortunately the band seems to have done a fantastic job with performing it and the rest of the vocals are outstanding. I can't help but think it would would really suit Bruce's voice these days though, so maybe that's an option for the future.

Well done to all involved for performing a show that covers such a broad range of the catalogue and doing it so well. One of the criticisms I have of the touring band (which can be extended back to the days when Brian, Carl and Dennis still toured) is that the full depth of the Beach Boys music isn't often explored. This is exactly the sort of set set list that I think gives a better impression of what the Beach Boys are, beyond the well known hits.

+1 across the board, agree with all. Very well said. 

Honestly, it was hearing some of the deep cuts at one of the 2012 C50 Beacon shows that got me diving deeper into the back catalog, exposing me to the astonishing range of BBs music and making me much more of a fan.

Nicko1234
« Reply #1162 on: May 29, 2015, 07:38:01 AM »

Agreed. I saw another comment elsewhere that caught my eye, "I saw The Beach Boys last night, wasn't expecting much, left thinking they were amazing, for old guys they can still play!!!"

I`m sure it will be the same for many people. They will come expecting the hits but go away with a better appreciation of the group.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: May 29, 2015, 07:51:29 AM »

Hi Scott, thanks for posting. Do me a favor please, ask Mike to incorporate those same songs into the U.S. shows. As you can read on this board, we appreciate those deep cuts, as well. Thanks! Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: May 29, 2015, 09:14:05 AM »

Scott

The comment I heard was made before a lot of other other people. Perhaps it was made in jest, though it didn't sound like it. I repeated it in the belief that it was the truth. If it isn't the truth then I regret that fact.

I did find it surprising that this was included in the set list but as it is probably my favourite Brian Wilson song of all I am glad that it gets the attention it deserves.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: May 29, 2015, 09:17:47 AM »

So let's review, Mike didn't prevent Surf's Up from being played during C50 (nor did anyone) and Mike finds it "emotionally rewarding to dive so deeply into our catalog".

What next? Is no (quote fingers) history (quote fingers) safe from revision?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: May 29, 2015, 10:10:04 AM »

So let's review, Mike didn't prevent Surf's Up from being played during C50 (nor did anyone) and Mike finds it "emotionally rewarding to dive so deeply into our catalog".

Let me get this straight too. I'm not revising history. I didn't make anything up. I quoted something (accurately as it happens but of course that doesn't prove it to be true).

I didn't accuse Mike's Beard of revision when he incorrectly - not slightly incorrectly but absolutely incorrectly - stated that Dennis lost his vote to pay off debts years before his death. I assumed it to be a mistake. My quote wasn't a mistake - at least, not by me. Perhaps it was a mistake to quote it without being able to prove it.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 10:11:57 AM by Ang Jones » Logged
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: May 29, 2015, 10:19:36 AM »

Let me get this straight too. I'm not revising history. I didn't make anything up. I quoted something (accurately as it happens but of course that doesn't prove it to be true).

I didn't accuse Mike's Beard of revision when he incorrectly - not slightly incorrectly but absolutely incorrectly - stated that Dennis lost his vote to pay off debts years before his death. I assumed it to be a mistake. My quote wasn't a mistake - at least, not by me. Perhaps it was a mistake to quote it without being able to prove it.

1. You screwed up big time by derailing a thread with your off-base comments.

2. You insisted on the matter and relented only when argued by an insider (instead of warning the rest of the world that you could be talking nonsense, you kept insisting).

3. There is nothing wrong with Surf's Up making it into a 2015 setlist.

4. Don't crap on other members like Mike's Beard. Own your words, apologize and move on, and do not embrace others in an attempt to make it less shameful.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1168 on: May 29, 2015, 10:21:22 AM »

1. Autotune isn't a mod.

2. Autotune isn't a mod.

3. Autotune isn't a mod.

4. Thank goodness.

Perhaps what she heard was a joke obviously in reference to Mr. Love's not entirely enthusiastic support of SMiLE, but this piling on is a bit ridiculous.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 10:27:57 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: May 29, 2015, 10:25:20 AM »

Talk about a kokomaoist lynching of Ang. Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1170 on: May 29, 2015, 10:27:28 AM »

Plus Scott could be biased since Mike is his boss and everything.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: May 29, 2015, 10:27:57 AM »

"Lynching"  LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

That's RICH...and a completely apples to oranges comparison.

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1172 on: May 29, 2015, 10:29:17 AM »

We should be David Lynching instead. I'll get the spooky background drone and flickering fluorescent lights to continue this thread!

Nicko1234
« Reply #1173 on: May 29, 2015, 10:31:08 AM »

For Ang to post false information once about the group when they just happen to be getting rave reviews from fans in the U.K. could be considered unfortunate. Doing it twice however...

I think the motivations of several posters in this thread are clear and I have to commend them. Due to their diligence and hard work we have now reached the point where Mike and Bruce`s shows are given a fairer and more positive reception on the Blueboard than they are here (no exaggeration).

Personally I think I would prefer to just focus on enjoying the music...
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1174 on: May 29, 2015, 10:32:24 AM »

How have you proven it's false information? Coulda just been a joke she heard from a disgruntled Brianista. Besides, even if there was recorded evidence of what she heard, it wouldn't matter would it? There would be no way you'd accept it. Search your feelings, Nicko1234. You will know it to be true.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 10:36:23 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 75 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx