gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:06:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 75 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2015  (Read 390938 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1125 on: May 28, 2015, 05:10:47 PM »

Cassius vs sonny part three? Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: May 28, 2015, 05:13:29 PM »

Hey Guys,
                I've just got in from my first ever Beach Boys live experience of any kind. I've become a massive fan in the last year and was really looking forward to tonight. I'll say from the outset that I'm what this board seems to term a 'Brianista' but couldn't pass up the chance to see the boys live in my hometown.

Overall impressions are very positive. I had really good seats and a great view, from the start I got totally done over on the merch table (A Hoodie…£45??….really??………bought it. A Cap….£25…..seriously???….for a cap??……….bought it. Programme…£20…..fair do's, it's beautifully laid out and designed.)

I was lucky enough to scavenge a set list from the stage at the end so I've got the full list of songs. Also, at the end, had the pleasure of meeting the band at the stage door…Mike, David, Bruce, Jeff, Scott were all very obliging and signed my programme, got photos with most as well.

Highlights:

Please Let Me Wonder - Absolutely beautiful arrangement and lighting, after a luke-warm surfin' medley where it was like watching one of those fairground 'concerts' with stuffed animals and animatronics, they really wowed me with this one.

When I grow up (to be a man) - Again, the vocals were stunning. New guy (Bryan is it?) was excellent on vocals throughout the concert.

Darlin' - Always a favourite of mine and didn't disappoint.

Warmth of the Sun - Beautifully done with a 'Mike anecdote' introduction, felt the audience around me lift at this point and it was a lovely moment.

California Girls - One of the absolute highlights of the gig for me, they really knocked it out the park

Hearts were full of spring - A beautiful acapella number that kept the audience in silence, a really beautiful sound. The voices in the band seem to blend really well.  

Heroes and Villians - This was the other absolute stand-out moment for me, quite honestly, one of the best versions I've heard done. The 60's style animation shown behind it really added to the productions. The use of the screen behind the band was as good as I've seen from any band. Great achieve photos, mini-music videos, carefully crafted video montages and even lyrics and audience response times. Pat on the back for all involved there…

All This is That: Nice intro from Mike and it was nicely done, probably the most I've enjoyed that song

God Only Knows - A really touching version with Carl on the lead from a video screen. A beautiful idea skilfully executed, this was as close as I'll ever hear the song done 'properly' and will stay with me

Rhonda - The band cranked up the audience interaction for the first time and it was kinda sweet. This is one of my favourite Beach Boys songs anyway so I am a bit biased but coming out of what was easily the worst part of the concert it was a lovely relief. To be surrounded by people singing the same lyrics that I sing loud and proud from the safety of my car in the week was quite special.

Wild Honey - What to say?…..excellent cut of this - did a little 'yelp' when the intro started and got all excited. Another absolute highlight as I wasn't sure if i'd hear it tonight

Lowlights:

Opening Surf Medley - Really felt like the band struggled to get going tonight (to be fair, the audience took some warming up too). This was something I expected but it just felt pretty lifeless.

Kokomo, Keep an Eye and All Summer after each other was pretty turgid, it may just be personal preference but a lot of people around me started looking at their watch

Pisces - Please. God. No.  Cringeworthy on every level, really bummed the atmosphere after the excellent rendition of God. Only. Knows.

Good Vibrations - A really, really weak performance. I didn't think it was humanly possible to not be excited by this song until tonight. Absolutely flat in terms of energy and execution.

and so onto …..

Surf's Up - This is a mix of a highlight and lowlight. Mainly I'm absolutely stoked to have heard this live. I've got everything crossed that Brian will pull this out for his tour in September. However, this was an absolutely dire version. My teeth nearly fell out from the bass level and it just didn't work. Rather a bad Surf's Up than a good most things to be honest though….

So there you go. Overall very positive and well worth the money. An experience I will never forget. I asked a question to people of this board a few months ago about if I should bother buying a ticket and was totally convinced by the replies to buy one. No Regrets.

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: May 28, 2015, 05:42:51 PM »

Mike's band gets flak for playing too many surf and car songs.
Mike's band gets flak from same people when they don't play surf and car songs and try deeper cuts.
Makes total sense to me.

I actually haven't seen any but a few trolls regularly assert any longer that Mike's band plays "only the hits." For the last decade or so, probably lining up to some degree with Scott Totten's tenure in the band, Mike's band has worked in deeper cuts. While there is some subjectivity to what constitutes a "non hit" or "deep cut", and Mike's band does so many gigs per year and so many types of venues that sometimes he might still do a shorter, more hits-heavy setlist, a simple perusal of setlists will show that Mike's band has been much more pro-active in adding deeper
A quote within a quote

The criticism of doing stuff like "Surf's Up" is, as I mentioned earlier, a rather subtle, bittersweet criticism that has more to do with the context of when and how he has added such songs. As I said, his role in leaving the reunion in 2012 will continue to haunt him, in the eyes of some fans (and not just anti-Mike trolls).

I again also suggest that those pining for Mike to reunite with the other guys (and/or lamenting that he isn't still with them) is a tacit endorsement of what Mike adds to the whole.
Scott has said that Mike chooses the setlists but has been open to suggestion.  sometimes Mike will ask Scott if he thinks they can work up and add a song to the setlists.   Nowadays maybe Jeff is having some influence.  But one shouldn't complain about deep cuts.    That is what we/all of us fans want.....right?    If there is a complaint, it would be Al not being up there with the touring band with BW making some cameo visits ......just like in the old days.   This would be the perfect order given BWs limited touring dates.    Can't bring back the other Wilson's.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 05:44:12 PM by donald » Logged
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: May 28, 2015, 05:45:18 PM »

I messed up that quote thing........not sure how that happened..........
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: May 28, 2015, 05:59:08 PM »

I would hope Foskett has less influence...I'd like to hear stuff after the Surfin' USA album!

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: May 28, 2015, 06:03:32 PM »

Before All I Wanna Do, when is the last time that any live incarnation of the band or solo members debuted a live version of an actual vintage BB album track (excluding the new TWGMTR tracks) which had never once been played live before? It's been quite awhile, IIRC.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 06:52:03 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: May 28, 2015, 06:43:45 PM »

Pretty cool to see the Mike & Bruce band pull off All I Wanna Do and Surf's Up.  Foskett handling the higher register lead vox for Mike in All I Wanna Do, reminds me of how he did the same for Brian in GV.  Warts and all, just like your average Brian performance, it was cool to see them pull those songs off.  Bring on the Pet Sounds 50th anniversary reunion tour!
Gohi
« Reply #1132 on: May 28, 2015, 06:55:49 PM »

That sludgy distorted guitar for "All I Wanna Do" is absolutely turgid.  Not a fan of that or Mike's voice. Can't deny it's really cool that they finally played it live.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: May 28, 2015, 07:04:40 PM »

Before All I Wanna Do, when is the last time that any live incarnation of the band or solo members debuted a live version of an actual vintage BB album track (excluding the new TWGMTR tracks) which had never once been played live before? It's been quite awhile, IIRC.

That would be during the BAD tour in 2013, when they did Custom Machine, This Car of Mine, and Ol' Man River.

For Mike & Bruce, it would be Goin' to the Beach, earlier that July.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: May 28, 2015, 07:21:24 PM »

Jeff and Scott having a great influence on the setlist.  Can't believe they convinced Mike to include some of those songs!!
Surfs Up and Farmers Daughter sounded great. Cool hearing All I Wanna Do although it was not Mike's best performance, that's pretty far out of his range now considering it was a stretch in 1970.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 07:30:49 PM by tpesky » Logged
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1135 on: May 28, 2015, 07:41:09 PM »

Yes, all we need now is for him to uncover that friggin' cornfield at last. Embrace your destiny, Mike Love!

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: May 28, 2015, 07:59:03 PM »

Yes, all we need now is for him to uncover that friggin' cornfield at last. Embrace your destiny, Mike Love!

Could uncovering the cornfield be the equivilant to the crow crying at myKe luHv to remove his hat?? Is myKe's landing strip the cornfield?? I could see Brian and Van having all kinds of fun with that.  LOL

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1137 on: May 28, 2015, 08:02:24 PM »

How did I know that so many people who haven`t posted in this thread for months would reappear when Mike and Bruce started getting rave reviews...

Have yet still yet to read anything but exceptional reviews from anyone who actually attended.

Hello?!

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1138 on: May 28, 2015, 10:48:23 PM »

I love this thread, because it proves conclusively that...

It's not just the band who are alarmingly dysfunctional...

Some fans posters just can't abide that people can enjoy a Mike & Bruce show, and...

F*ckwits & sh*tweasels continue to abound, in abundance.  Smiley

I'd much rather see the C50 lineup over the the two current touring factions, however impressive they might be. Complete no-brainer... but for various reasons, ain't gonna happen again. So I'll enjoy what we've got while I can, starting with the RAH on Sunday and the O2 in September. The time that no original members will still be with us, much less touring, draws ever closer.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: May 29, 2015, 12:13:05 AM »

Just out of curiosity: anyone going to one of the Royal Albert Hall concerts on May 30th and 31st?

I'm going to see (and hear) the May 31st gig this Sunday.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: May 29, 2015, 12:29:40 AM »

That would be during the BAD tour in 2013, when they did Custom Machine, This Car of Mine, and Ol' Man River.

Cool info. Though I would exclude GTTB since I am referring to vintage songs released on actual studio albums in the past. How about the same question, but just pertaining to the band called The BBs? When's the last time "The BBs" in any incarnation debuted a vintage BB album song previously unplayed by any version of the band/solo?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 12:32:04 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: May 29, 2015, 12:39:51 AM »

Cool info. Though I would exclude GTTB since I am referring to vintage songs released on actual studio albums in the past. How about the same question, but just pertaining to the band called The BBs? When's the last time "The BBs" in any incarnation debuted a vintage BB album song previously unplayed by any version of the band/solo?

Exclude Ol' Man River too, then.

“We live in divisive times.”
Nicko1234
« Reply #1142 on: May 29, 2015, 12:49:41 AM »

How did I know that so many people who haven`t posted in this thread for months would reappear when Mike and Bruce started getting rave reviews...

Have yet still yet to read anything but exceptional reviews from anyone who actually attended.

Hello?!

A great contribution to the thread. Glad you are so enamoured with the new setlist.  Smiley

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: May 29, 2015, 12:53:28 AM »

Hello?!

A great contribution to the thread. Glad you are so enamoured with the new setlist.  Smiley

Yup, that post fixed me too. Perhaps we could have an explanation to what i assume is some intended humorous intent behind the post?

This is fast-becoming one of "those" threads…

“We live in divisive times.”
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: May 29, 2015, 12:56:07 AM »

I love this thread, because it proves conclusively that...

It's not just the band who are alarmingly dysfunctional...

Some fans posters just can't abide that people can enjoy a Mike & Bruce show, and...

F*ckwits & sh*tweasels continue to abound, in abundance.  Smiley

I'd much rather see the C50 lineup over the the two current touring factions, however impressive they might be. Complete no-brainer... but for various reasons, ain't gonna happen again. So I'll enjoy what we've got while I can, starting with the RAH on Sunday and the O2 in September. The time that no original members will still be with us, much less touring, draws ever closer.

Those who don't agree with your opinion are "f*ckwits & sh*tweasels". Those who have criticised Mike and Bruce for the car songs are seen as being completely unfair to now criticise him for doing Surf's Up. It is "petty" to be annoyed he allegedly refused to allow it during the C50. OK - my  reason for not being happy with it is that it seems to me that Mike  is prepared to do it when he and his band are applauded for it but not when he knew that most of the applause would have been for Brian. It seems like an attempt at 'anything you can do, I can do better'.  No doubt I'll be accused of being unfair on Mike and asked how I can possibly know Mike's reasons or even whether Brian would have wanted to play Surf's Up. The answer to the first point is that Mike is always trying to emphasise his part of the success. We see it in nearly every interview he does. Brian and Paul McCartney were born within a couple of days of each other, so Mike has to have his Beatle too. As for the second question, obviously I don't know whether Brian would have wanted Surf's Up at the C50 or not. But the fact that Mike allegedly wouldn't allow it suggests the subject came up.

I'm enjoying  what we have got while I can. I don't prefer the C50 line up  and I certainly don't prefer Mike and Bruce's band (though I accept that they perform a large number of songs to the satisfaction of many fans) so I'm not forcing myself to miss a wonderful experience out of spite. I'm going to see Brian five times in September. Meanwhile, all those who like Mike and Bruce's version are welcome to it. It doesn't bother me that they go. It certainly isn't a situation in my case of not abiding the idea of people enjoying a Mike and Bruce show. We are each entitled to our own personal choices and that doesn't make any of us a f*ckwit or sh*tweasel, any more than someone who isn't a Beach Boys fan at all but like Bowie, or Stevie Wonder, or Radiohead has got something wrong with their brains.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 12:59:39 AM by Ang Jones » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #1145 on: May 29, 2015, 01:01:28 AM »

But if people who aren`t fans of The Beach Boys came to post on a thread all about them what would that say...
Nicko1234
« Reply #1146 on: May 29, 2015, 01:13:58 AM »

I guess that question could be broken down to, which songs have M&B done that the original Beach Boys didn`t?

Doubtless this is inaccurate and not exhaustive but:

Keep an Eye on Summer – 2014
I`m So Young – 2009
Cherry Cherry Coupe – 2008
Good to My Baby - 2006
Til I Die - 2004
Betsy -2001
Don`t Back Down - 2001
Here Today – 2001
Kiss Me Baby - 2001
Santa`s Beard - 2000
The Man With all the Toys - 2000
The Little Girl I Once Knew – 1999
Let Him Run Wild - 1999

« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 01:16:37 AM by Nicko1234 » Logged
jamesellaby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: May 29, 2015, 01:16:11 AM »

I doubt even 9/11 truther messageboards have as much wild speculation as this place. We've no idea what motivates the members of the Beach Boys beyond what they say in public. Brian says he wanted to carry on with the reunion and he says NPP was meant to be a Beach Boys album. Mike says he booked normal BB touring shows after the reunion because it was always meant to be a short term thing. The fans all take their usual sides and fly off on flights of fancy about what could have been, what should be and whose fault it all is. We don't know that Brian would have wanted to do more Beach Boys shows or albums. For me, TWGMTR and its closing trilogy absolutely scream THIS IS THE LAST BEACH BOYS ALBUM, and I doubt he enjoyed sharing a stage with Mike all that much. But obviously it suits his camp to portray Mike as the one who broke it all off. I wish it had carried on because I didn't get to see them all together, but I don't blame anyone for it. They've all earned the right to do whatever they want to do and we're ALL reaping the rewards.

So stop moaning.  angel
Nicko1234
« Reply #1148 on: May 29, 2015, 01:22:21 AM »

Am I right in thinking that the changes to the Sheffield set were Wild Honey and Keep an Eye on Summer added at the expense of Dance, Dance, Dance and Sail on Sailor?

Probably makes a great setlist even better...
El Molé
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: May 29, 2015, 02:06:48 AM »

The set list from Manchester looks absolutely fantastic and I seriously wish I'd been there. On All I Wanna do I get the comments about Mike's vocals but he just about gets away with it and deserves huge credit for having given it a go. Fortunately the band seems to have done a fantastic job with performing it and the rest of the vocals are outstanding. I can't help but think it would would really suit Bruce's voice these days though, so maybe that's an option for the future.

Well done to all involved for performing a show that covers such a broad range of the catalogue and doing it so well. One of the criticisms I have of the touring band (which can be extended back to the days when Brian, Carl and Dennis still toured) is that the full depth of the Beach Boys music isn't often explored. This is exactly the sort of set set list that I think gives a better impression of what the Beach Boys are, beyond the well known hits.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 75 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx